• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I'm super pissed at this Smash news. Hope people attending EVO make their voices heard at some way at the event. Don't know the best way to do this, but there is room for some creative ways of showing your frustration. People that cosplay could incorporate some form of protest signifiers in their costumes or people could care signs with lovably dumb slogans about the situation. All in all, I just hope people do something, so that there can be a bigger media backfire for them to deal with.
All those things are dumb and ineffective.

You wanna send a message? Sell your Wii U and pre order a PS4. That will send a message bigger than some slogan on a fighting game stream that Nintendo probably wouldn't even see because they have their heads so far up their ass. These big companies only see one thing and only one thing can shake them out of their stupor... sales and profit margin. Deny them the cash flow and they will change their tune.

Next tweet:

"I'm sorry guys, I don't know what happened. I was just talking to my game industry friends and now all Evo games can't be streamed. The empire is still on the case though..."

"VxG, on the other hand, will be streaming EVERYTHING. Including Smash. #thetakeover"

xXYj53R.png

Yo, Edward Boon

I feel for the Smash guys though. This is just low for Nintendo and especially stupid to do so days before the event.
Oh Boon!

Wait, no smash on stream on any of the three days? After everything that's happened, Skullgirls gets stream time, Injustice (when was that added?) gets stream time, and divekick gets stream time but none for smash?

That's beyond fucked up. I love watching EVO and I wouldn't even mind if they didn't show pools at all fri or sat, but come on, at least put top 8 or even top 4 on the final day. We all put our hearts and souls into this and all we wanted was some main stage exposure. We deserve it.

Nintendo isn't allowing it to be streamed.

El Sloth

Banned
So, where does this leave Smash tournaments for the future?

I mean, will the TOs of big majors want to risk streaming Smash at their events? I can't remember, but was the Fall Classic gonna include Smash in its lineup? If they did, well I wonder what's going to happen to it now.

Edit: Oh wow, that sucks for LordKnight.

rar

Marvel
Want: TA Moons, KaneBlueRiver, Frutsy, Clockwork
Predict: Justin Wong

SF4
Want: Daigo, Mike Ross, Floe, Alex Valle
Predict: Sako

SFxT
Want: Setholol, Arturo Sanchez
Predict: Infiltration

Nyoro SF

Seems like P4A is kind of the bastard child here, but it's a miracle it even got into Evo truth be told.

Er... It consistently outdid many games at majors during its current lifecycle. Out of the non-Capcom games, if it didn't make it, I would have been legitimately shocked.

sleepykyo

The only bereavement going on will be over Daigo's dead competitive gaming career.

I doubt it. Daigo has his book, the SquareEnix spokesperson gig for that arcade game and so forth. Infiltration, as much I admire his talent and approach to SF, lacks that charisma.

It'll be interesting to see what Infiltration has done to adjust to the Cammy match up. 'cause he's gonna have to fight over 9000 of them.

Well he did lose to K-Brad and Popi. Guess everyone is going to have a pocket Cammy for him. Which will be ineffective, because he'll have scouted every decent Cammy that he is likely to run into.

Unfortunately I have no interest in SMT4, kind-of want Fire Emblem though, but I have too much to play ATM.

I would love to play SMT4...but of course Nintendo and region locking...

From a personal level, I'm very happy to see P4 officially streamed. But Smash deserved its day in the sun.

Do we have an official reason? If it were drama related, it might be food for thought.

Skilletor

So I just looked at the map. Guidebook says Bally's Convention center. EVO says it's at the Paris. My room is at Paris. Are Bally's and Paris hotel connected?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
All those things are dumb and ineffective.

You wanna send a message? Sell your Wii U and pre order a PS4. That will send a message bigger than some slogan on a fighting game stream that Nintendo probably wouldn't even see because they have their heads so far up their ass. These big companies only see one thing and only one thing can shake them out of their stupor... sales and profit margin. Deny them the cash flow and they will change their tune.

They're harmlessly dumb and can get at least some small media coverage. Social media stuff does influence people's decisions to purchase. Probably more than my one console I'm not going to buy. An article with bad press stays around longer too and people in the press talking about how nonsensical this is, courtesy of some nonsensical stuff at a convention couldn't hurt.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Another way to bring positive attention to this is if we start another charity event in light of this.

Shouta

Yeah. I found out that Bally's was pretty much connected so I booked there myself. The North tower (I think), which is closer to the Paris (and renovated) is still pricey but cheaper than the Paris and very close. The South Tower is cheaper though and but not as swag apparently and a little farther from the Paris.

Horseress

TriForceGameMaster @EMP_TriForce_GM
Ok that's some good news right there. Have hope guys. They're looking into the matter from all angles. I can't say anymore than that.

OMG! Now THAT'S a heel turn! To never be forgotten

Nintendo also bans lets plays off youtube, why don't they want free advertising? You would think with all the bad press and sales for the Wii U, they would let it rock.

Dahbomb

They're harmlessly dumb and can get at least some small media coverage. Social media stuff does influence people's decisions to purchase. Probably more than my one console I'm not going to buy. An article with bad press stays around longer too and people in the press talking about how nonsensical this is, courtesy of some nonsensical stuff at a convention couldn't hurt.
Just ask yourself this:

Did Microsoft reverse their policies after the negative press/fan outcry started or did they reverse their policies after the pre-order numbers started popping up?

I'll give you a hint, the negative press was rampant far before E3.

Want in UMVC 3: A PR Rog like comeback again
Want in AE: A Dan or Gief winner. But will take Valle "he found the fountain of youth" win!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom