• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just ask yourself this:

Did Microsoft reverse their policies after the negative press/fan outcry started or did they reverse their policies after the pre-order numbers started popping up?

I'll give you a hint, the negative press was rampant far before E3.

The negative press informed the mainstream about the issue leading to those pre-order numbers to start dropping, along with word-of-mouth from more hardcore people to casuals. Don't underestimate these dynamics. People need to be aware of bad policies before they start talking with their wallets. The bad press eventually helped reach that critical mass which among other factors led to the drop.

4u71vt.jpg
I think I'll keep my expectations low thanks.

Dahbomb

The negative press informed the mainstream about the issue leading to those pre-order numbers to start dropping, along with word-of-mouth from more hardcore people to casuals. Don't underestimate these dynamics.
I am not excluding the impact of the media but they are just a catalyst... the end result that the companies care about is the profit. Nintendo can take all the bad press, they will not change their ways if the next Smash Bros still manages to sell over 5 million copies. The out cry means nothing if Nintendo is still sitting pretty making bank off of clueless fanboys.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I am not excluding the impact of the media but they are just a catalyst... the end result that the companies care about is the profit. Nintendo can take all the bad press, they will not change their ways if the next Smash Bros still manages to sell over 5 million copies. The out cry means nothing if Nintendo is still sitting pretty making bank off of clueless fanboys.

Sure, but I'm just thinking of anything we can do now to let them feel we are really not pleased with this decision. I'm not saying this is the be all and end all, but it's something that could eventually lead to the desired result. I'm just trying to think of all venues, it's very possible I'm overestimating the effects of the things I come up, but I'm just trying to do something rather than just yell on a forum they're not going to read.

MrDaravon

Sure, but I'm just thinking of anything we can do now to let them feel we are really not pleased with this decision. I'm not saying this is the be all and end all, but it's something that could eventually lead to the desired result. I'm just trying to think of all venues, it's very possible I'm overestimating the effects of the things I come up, but I'm just trying to do something rather than just yell on a forum they're not going to read.

This is a bit trickier because on the Xbone/PS4 thing they were new products taking preorders at virtually the same time, so it was a pretty clear speak with your wallet thing. Here there's no real direct competitor, and it's hard to vote with your wallet regarding a 12 year-old game :p. It probably falls on deaf ears if a lot of this is coming from NoJ, but I think the best thing to do is just keep up the social media assault (politely).

Kikujiro

I'm gonna answer here to this, from the Melee thread.

So WB/NRS and Microsoft/Double Helix.

But oh wait, those are "moneyhats".

Stop being a fanboy ffs.

People don't like the schedule because an official EVO channel is dedicated to MK9 despite the game having the less number of players. If it was an official WB/NRS stream no problem, but since it's an EVO channel people expect them to show other games too, it's not hard to understand.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bit trickier because on the Xbone/PS4 thing they were new products taking preorders at virtually the same time, so it was a pretty clear speak with your wallet thing. Here there's no real direct competitor, and it's hard to vote with your wallet regarding a 12 year-old game :p. It probably falls on deaf ears if a lot of this is coming from NoJ, but I think the best thing to do is just keep up the social media assault (politely).

Which is why I think acting with your money is a perfectly good way to voice your dislike, but they are not going to hear it now, when it also very much counts.

Dahbomb

You can start by cancelling your Smash pre-orders and selling your Wii U while pre-ordering another console. Those are things that can be detected. Companies look very closely at pre-order fluctuations. Capcom for example was very keen on DmC pre-orders gauging how much marketing push they should give the game and other short term goals with the product. Game flopped and Capcom pulled the marketing immediately, announcing then that they will have less Western outsourcing from now on.

MrDaravon

You can start by cancelling your Smash pre-orders and selling your Wii U. Those are things that can be detected. Companies look very closely at pre-order fluctuations. Capcom for example was very keen on DmC pre-orders gauging how much marketing push they should give the game and other short term goals with the product. Game flopped and Capcom pulled the marketing immediately, announcing then that they will have less Western outsourcing from now on.

Sure, but with Smash so far out I can't imagine that there would be THAT many pre-orders existing, and any fluctuation one way or the other on them so far out I don't think would realistically indicate anything to them one way or the other. Agreed on the Wii U selling, but given how poorly that system is already doing right now I have to imagine they've picked up on that message lol

Anth0ny

God I hope the wii u fucking bombs

Happy that its well on its way keep up the good work Nintendo

meltdown activate

Azure J

Someone probably told him at e3

Unbelievable.

What I don't get in this specific moment is how it escaped his knowledge for so long. Weren't people tweeting and telling him specifically that it was happening and saying thanks for the game post Breast Cancer donation drive? Sakurai is also the weird Nintendo employee in that he actually responds to shit happening in the real world versus everyone else there.

It's like how does one not know something of this caliber man.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You should livestream you breaking a Wii U, I heard they hate that!

Would need to buy one for that first. Honestly I'm just looking at whatever can be done, which includes more out of the box things. Did the same for the region locking thing in a small capacity.

Had the ability to go to a post-E3 Nintendo event over here and while there I asked the local head of marketing if she was aware of the anti-region locking campaign running at the moment. Did this in a polite fashion, realizing it wouldn't change anything, but still took the opportunity to at least try and discuss it. While at first she seemed to feign ignorance, ultimately she said she had seen some of the creative stuff out there and gave a stock answer saying Nintendo does listen customer feedback, unlike what many people believe (we'll see) and that stuff like journalist feedback on E3 demos are closely examined etc.

Again, it's not going to change anything, but I still tried to do something and I feel that there are many ways for people to do this. On an individual level those things are mere blips, but I hope the collective outcry at least goes noticed.

What I don't get in this specific moment is how it escaped his knowledge for so long. Weren't people tweeting and telling him specifically that it was happening and saying thanks for the game post Breast Cancer donation drive? Sakurai is also the weird Nintendo employee in that he actually responds to shit happening in the real world versus everyone else there.

It's like how does one not know something of this caliber man.

It might be cynical...but there does always tend to be more to these sorts of things than we know about. The announcement of the stream schedule did seem to take a lot longer than usual. Maybe they have just been trying to flesh out a deal and it finally fell through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom