• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

luffeN

Alright. The stream schedule is now restored.

That is Pacific Standard Time, right? I know that I could calculate the CET time, but the event is in Paris? Is there an official timetable with CET?

Edit: OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH wow... Paris Las Vegas Hotel.. should read until the end :D:D

That is Pacific Standard Time, right? I know that I could calculate the CET time, but the event is in Paris? Is there an official timetable with CET?

Edit: OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH wow... Paris Las Vegas Hotel.. should read until the end :D:D

Don't forget it is fighting game standard time too. So everything is +2.5 hours.

Japanese site 4Gamer.net has put up a quick rundown of some of the bigger Japanese names entering as well some interviews with the American EG crew that just went to Japan (which BTW probably features one the least flattering photos of Justin Wong that they took).

http://www.4gamer.net/games/131/G013166/20130709067/

They have some quick interviews with the Americans that you MAY be able to hear over the bad sound quality

http://youtu.be/y7v7Ux_QPfk?t=3m22s

Japanese site 4Gamer.net has put up a quick rundown of some of the bigger Japanese names entering as well some interviews with the American EG crew that just went to Japan (which BTW probably features one the least flattering photos of Justin Wong that they took).

http://www.4gamer.net/games/131/G013166/20130709067/

Google translate on point.

capturepwsuf.png

Pepto

Banned
Someone needs to run a AE team tournament where every team uses a single character (team Cammy vs team Fei vs team Sakura etc.).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
awww poor green ace

All he wanted to do was pretend to be tough on twitter and use the word "nigga" ironically. He didn't think he'd actually have to back it up and show that he can take the heat too :'(
There's heat and then there's idiocy. I don't know why it's considered some sacred rite.

kick51

Banned
There's heat and then there's idiocy. I don't know why it's considered some sacred rite.

I'm pretty sure he's in on the idiocy side of it:

https://twitter.com/Green_Ace954/status/354744264556683264

https://twitter.com/Green_Ace954/status/354704201508585473

https://twitter.com/Green_Ace954/status/352235283938418689

and that's because the idiocy is fun. If you can't handle a few guys yelling at you during a casual match, you won't be able to handle an entire crowd yelling at you when you make top 8 at an out of state major. It's not a sacred rite, it's just that Marvel isn't tennis. You don't get to dictate how the crowd or even other players act. You didn't get to in the arcades, you don't get to now. The crowd wants to get hype and they want their favorite to win...shit talk falls under that. Competition in anything, not just fighting games but sports or anything else, comes down to skill and withstanding the pressure, wherever it may come from. People who are wounded by what the crowd says need to learn to get over themselves and start feeding off of it...cause it's not serious at all.

looks like he didn't quit marvel anyway, wants to go to evo next year when he's 21.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
awww poor green ace

All he wanted to do was pretend to be tough on twitter and use the word "nigga" ironically. He didn't think he'd actually have to back it up and show that he can take the heat too :'(

Where did GreenAce do either of those things? I don't really follow his twitter, but it doesn't seem like he does anything like that.

Trash talk will always exist in the FGC, but I'll never respect a player less just because they choose to not partake in it.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

ScOULaris

Where did GreenAce do either of those things? I don't really follow his twitter, but it doesn't seem like he does anything like that.

Trash talk will always exist in the FGC, but I'll never respect a player less just because they choose to not partake in it.

Um, I respect a player more if they choose not to trash talk.

Trash talking at a professional level just comes off as thuggish and embarrasing, IMO. I much prefer the more respectful approach that Japanese players take over the way that some East Coasters/West Coasters act over here.

kick51

Banned
I agree, but that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion.

I'm pretty neutral on trash talk, but I respect a player less when they quit due to it. Particularly when they do it on twitter and on stage, but can't handle it in a casual match. You do it in one place, prepare to put up with it in every situation. If you don't do it, you might still receive it, but not even a 1/10th as bad.

The stuff I posted of his was just recent, but I don't feel like digging and he didn't make it difficult to see that he engages in the same kind of shit, but online (classic.) But he was posting the same kind of stuff pre-FT10 with Champ at CEO. Basically, he provoked that whole crew, which is fine, but he has to be ready for them too.

He'll come around though.

Horseress

So guys, what crazy shit do you think will happen today? Will Capcom confirm that UMvC3 is a Nintendo game, like Noah said on Facebook yesterday? And then Triforce will step up from the Arc and solve all copyright problems with Nintendo again? I don't know, do you? I don't think so. All we know is this:

228314_222360444447466_100000205374566_1052510_1357546_n.jpg

Will he catch it? Let's wait

ScOULaris

So what is gonna be the better place to be for chat during EVO this year? The IRC channel or the Stream Chat?

Since participating in the stream chat will require payment like last year, I worry that it will be kind of barren and dull. It was much more active and entertaining before they instituted the premium ticket requirement.

I don't mind trash talk at all, from bottom level players to top. Considering that Fighting Games are pretty much the boxing of competitive gaming, it just seems apart of it.

ScOULaris

There is less than a handful of "professional" players in the FGC. Probably not the best term to use to describe the community.

I guess I mean on a tournament-play level, then. I understand that there is a bit of mental warfare going on with trash talk, so I get why it's part of the game. That being said, I have more respect for someone who doesn't utilize that tactic and just relies on their skills.

kick51

Banned
So what is gonna be the better place to be for chat during EVO this year? or the Stream Chat?

Since participating in the stream chat will require payment like last year, I worry that it will be kind of barren and dull. It was much more active and entertaining before they instituted the premium ticket requirement.

Sub chat is already pretty active...I don't think it'll be barren.

I don't go on the IRC, I try to respect that as the place where top players wanna talk without stream monsters, since they never mention the place on stream and seem to try to actively keep it on the DL. so I took it out of your quote too ;)

Revven

Super Smash Brothers... MELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I just don't want a S tier character to win the tournament. =(

Well good news, because Peach isn't a S tier character and will probably win (unless there's some serious upsets early on in the bracket).

So what is gonna be the better place to be for chat during EVO this year? The IRC channel or the Stream Chat?

I'll probably be hitting up one of the twitch poverty chats.

Horseress

NeoGAF is my chat

Mœbius

Um, I respect a player more if they choose not to trash talk.

Trash talking at a professional level just comes off as thuggish and embarrasing, IMO. I much prefer the more respectful approach that Japanese players take over the way that some East Coasters/West Coasters act over here.
I agree, although I noticed in Japan that Japanese players love to trash talk too - it's just a different style of trash talk though... more playful (apart from in the VF scene, where it's pretty serious). This is an example of it: Tokido teasing KSK while he's playing; just fun, not aggressive at all (and worth watching to the end for the look KSK gives Tokido, lol).

El Sloth

Banned
Kuroda is another example of someone who likes to "disrespect" players during play. Especially foreign players. Too bad he never really got into SSIV all that much.

I guess I mean on a tournament-play level, then. I understand that there is a bit of mental warfare going on with trash talk, so I get why it's part of the game. That being said, I have more respect for someone who doesn't utilize that tactic and just relies on their skills.
Twitch.tv/nycfurby

Enjoy.

Horseress

Kuroda is another example of someone who likes to "disrespect" players during play. Especially foreign players. Too bad he never really got into SSIV all that much.

Kuroda is my idol! Not only he picks Q against top players, he BODIES them with Q

About not playing SFIV, I heard he doesn't like the game because it doesn't have parries.

Mœbius

Yeah aside from the incidents with Justin and Ricky in Japan, I also seem to remember Kuroda making fun of Tokido during SBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom