• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They also need to make sure that people who play are the people who are supposed to play and not someone playing for someone else. Saw that happen...

Haunted

Evo is as enjoyable as ever, but Jesus, the technical aspect of the presentation/information relay is atrocious.
It is unnecessarily hard to follow up on brackets, who plays when, who is out, etc. Even the announcers often say stuff like "Is that guy still in? Is he out?".

They really need stuff like player-profiles, interactive realtime-brackets, and a better information relay on what is going on in the streams.
For starters: Every match should have a unique match-ID, which refers to which day/game/round/players and that ID should be displayed in the stream-window at all times. Then if I later check out some archives I should be able to take that ID and see what the matches before/after were and what happened to the players.
A constantly updated website to track all that shit would be really nice. Think Team Liquid tournament portals or Liquipedia for SC2 and Dota stuff. I get the distinct feeling that good production values for streams and spectators are too esports for a lot of the FCG guys. I mean, fucking paper brackets? "bububu that's how we always did it!"

Good example for when keeping it real goes wrong. :p

edit: in their defense, I will say that FCG tournaments move at a much faster pace than any other esports I know. Games are shorter and things are more hectic.

ad_idem

laugh and infiltration sitting on the fourth floor lobby, having a smoke.

Not a word said. Lolz.

That's because, the answer lies in the heart of battle.

A constantly updated website to track all that shit would be really nice. Think Team Liquid tournament portals or Liquipedia for SC2 and Dota stuff.

I get the distinct feeling that good production values for streams and spectators are too esports for a lot of the FCG guys. I mean, fucking paper brackets?

Good example for when keeping it real goes wrong.

edit: in their defense, I will say that FCG tournaments move at a much faster pace than any other esports I know. Games are shorter and things are more hectic.

Agreed with the sentiments here, and this might be because I'm ignorant to the logistics of it all, but wouldn't integrating challonge work? I know it's used in a lot of locals, so perhaps it's not as efficient for something of this scale? Just a thought though.

Baleoce

Evo is as enjoyable as ever, but Jesus, the technical aspect of the presentation/information relay is atrocious.
It is unnecessarily hard to follow up on brackets, who plays when, who is out, etc. Even the announcers often say stuff like "Is that guy still in? Is he out?".

They really need stuff like player-profiles, interactive realtime-brackets, and a better information relay on what is going on in the streams.
For starters: Every match should have a unique match-ID, which refers to which day/game/round/players and that ID should be displayed in the stream-window at all times. Then if I later check out some archives I should be able to take that ID and see what the matches before/after were and what happened to the players.

I agree with you, that's a side of the FGC I want to see improve the most. But that's where the esports money would come in. And there's kind of a standoff in that respect atm.

Naar

Some finals took place yesterday and I was wondering if they handed out prizes/medals to the winners of those games yesterday or will there be a closing ceremony for all the games on Sunday?

I agree with you, that's a side of the FGC I want to see improve the most. But that's where the esports money would come in. And there's kind of a standoff in that respect atm.

Would be great, but heck the EVO guys were scratching around for gamecubes and CRTs on the Thursday night.

I think you'll find a lot of those systems may end up being driven from the Asian based tournaments where there is better network infrastructure available. It'll just take time and money.

Naar

They already got the medals/trophies.

So basically if you only care about Tekken and only entered Tekken and won, then there is no reason for you to stay for Day 2 or 3 right? Yes I know there is panels and you can meet people and stuff. I am just wondering if someone only cared about participating that there would be nothing for him after he finished on Friday?

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
The ID system definitely would be sick to see implemented, but yeah FGC tourneys are not exactly technologically adapted (productions are nonetheless fantastic/entertaining). Tonamento, a system that sent players text messages about their bracket/matches, never really caught on in terms of use, not sure why though (anyone know?).

All these ideas sound beautiful on paper until you realize that the internet is involved in almost all of those good suggestions. And very very few venues actually have good internet to implement said ideas. It's not like this is MLG where they rent out Anaheim convention center and have a satellite truck with 1gbps symmetrical internet.

Pretty much with the venues the FGC has now dont expect these kind of things to happen

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
They also need to make sure that people who play are the people who are supposed to play and not someone playing for someone else. Saw that happen...
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, to be honest. Player aliases are rarely if ever printed on the badges themselves, and sometimes the people at the registration desk don't even ask for proper ID.

I've known at least one person who has had decent success with borrowing one of his friend's badges, showing up to a random pool, and then assuming the name of a no-show for himself.

I mean, fucking paper brackets? "bububu that's how we always did it!"
Several major TOs will tell you from experience that paper brackets make things run more smoothly. But I guess making up reasons and being condescending about it is more fun.

Agreed with the sentiments here, and this might be because I'm ignorant to the logistics of it all, but wouldn't integrating challonge work? I know it's used in a lot of locals, so perhaps it's not as efficient for something of this scale? Just a thought though.
Consider the risks involved in relying on a website. They should be self evident.

There are alternative electronic options such as Tio, but again, think of the benefit vs the risk. I've seen brackets vanish to equipment failures. Also consider the volunteer staff. Let's be honest; you can't depend on everyone to be competent with this stuff, no matter how simple it might be for you and me. It's just makes for fewer potential headaches if you hand a bracket runner a 16-man bracket and ask him to fill in the blanks, than it does to depend on him to not fuck anything up with a computer station.

AMERIKAJIN ‏@jiyunaJP 42s
The Japanese were REALLY impressed by Bananaken, probably more than LK. A lot of "Aww, I wanted to see Bananaken vs Yume finals...".
Just woke up

Fuck, looks like I wasn't the only one.
謎のヒロインX 「セイバー」
@MysteryHeroineX

Tomorrow night, at 9PM Tournament Standard time, @FinestKO is going to have a 5v5 USA vs Japan for Persona. Spread the word!
Awesome

Airan

Couldn't last the rest of semis after the EPIC infil V rog match, so when to sleep and just found out about top 8. Words cannot describe the joy to see sako and haitani in there. Sunday will be the best day for sf4 yet.

So basically if you only care about Tekken and only entered Tekken and won, then there is no reason for you to stay for Day 2 or 3 right? Yes I know there is panels and you can meet people and stuff. I am just wondering if someone only cared about participating that there would be nothing for him after he finished on Friday?

Pretty much, yeah.

There's always casuals/money matches though. I mean I'm playing IGAU today but I'll still be playing MK casuals and my team is doing an exhibition tonight.

ad_idem

All these ideas sound beautiful on paper until you realize that the internet is involved in almost all of those good suggestions. And very very few venues actually have good internet to implement said ideas. It's not like this is MLG where they rent out Anaheim convention center and have a satellite truck with 1gbps symmetrical internet.

Pretty much with the venues the FGC has now dont expect these kind of things to happen

Appreciate the insight Art. I had no idea that's how it worked. Still one would think that having a method of syncronizing the data (especially brackets) would be nice, but with the limited bandwidth available as well as potentially other variables, it would make the logistics a nightmare I guess.

Also, I enjoyed your match with Choi. Good old school footsies battle breaking down into sporadic hectic moments of seemingly random reads, or desperation moves (half screen roundhouse tatsus) made it all the more unpredictable (or perhaps it's just next level yomi, or familiarity with your playstyle). Sorry about the loss, but it was definitely a tense match.

Consider the risks involved in relying on a website. They should be self evident.

There are alternative electronic options such as Tio, but again, think of the benefit vs the risk. I've seen brackets vanish to equipment failures. Also consider the volunteer staff. Let's be honest; you can't depend on everyone to be competent with this stuff, no matter how simple it might be for you and me. It's just makes for fewer potential headaches if you hand a bracket runner a 16-man bracket and ask him to fill in the blanks, than it does to depend on him to not fuck anything up with a computer station.

You bring up numerous valid points. Would explain why I predominantly see it only being used for locals. I was thinking an infrastructure like Challonge but in an app form that uses p2p (perhaps a form of mesh network) to sync and update the brackets would be nice, giving people in charge of brackets admin rights to override, etc. But clearly my idea wasn't thought out well. Especially when considering the technical hurdles of the current venue types that majors are held in, as well as the human factors you mentioned.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yes. Day two events will be up in no less than 3 hours. So take a nap, run some errands, grocery shopping or whatever before then.

At this pace, I believe we can get to OT3 some time tomorrow. More posting!

EVO staff did a great job of keeping top players on stream in the main stage. I would remember last year where i had to watch XBL warrior vs PSN warrior early on. There was none of that this year they kept it moving having at least one recognizable player on the main stage.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
scheduled to start in three hours I think. 8AM [whatever the timezone is called].

Yes. Day two events will be up in no less than 3 hours. So take a nap, run some errands, grocery shopping or whatever before then.

At this pace, I believe we can get to OT3 some time tomorrow. More posting!

Love you all.

Post count will definitely going up on my end when Marvel starts, especially when the unknown blood cause some upsets or new stuff.

Otsukare

Neo Member
I am so Hyped right now, today was amazing, really.

AE.

Sako in top 8 with Evil Ryu.
Haitani in top 8 with Makoto!!!, so happy, great to see some new chataracters being represented at the top.

The Infiltration vs Laugh match, wow, that was edge of the seat stuff, you could cut the air with a knife, was so tense, amazing stuff, never seen a match like that before ever.

shaowebb

Omnicent

Man Smash Quaters/Semis (this should be some quality smash. I want Ken vs Armada somehow), Mahvel, Injustice(same as mahvel), & KOF today..... I wish I had a dual setup. I'm going to buy another for next year.

Today is going to be HYPE. 2.5 hours to go!

MK9 pool play/semi finals:
http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/429454118
http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/429512256

MK9 finals
http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/429512256?t=7h42m

Shit is unreal. Tight play from everyone the whole tourney. There was even a blind guy in Winners Bracket for awhile who played by sound. Went by the name Rattlehead and was brought in by Kombat Houston. Dude is legit. Took a round on Tyrant.

I actually watched Rattlehead's match. It was the only one I was able to watch.

Was mightily impressed.

BadWolf

Now that Sako has made it this far I really feel that he has a good chance of taking the whole thing. Even if Daigo was able to make it into a final with him by some miracle, Sako is pretty good against him.

Regardless of how he does after, just hope that Daigo takes out Inflitration.

kick51

Banned

Agreed. There's so much space for more information on streams. Though I doubt an ID system could happen. They could just put info on a slide or something, keep it updated and display it every once in a while.

The way I see it, the past few years have been about getting the actual stream production with cameras and commentators and all that solid. Now they can focus on the finer details.

This is probably also a good thing for streamers to get a sidekick guy for.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Awwww man, I feel kinda mad that I fell asleep early now since they even brought Seth in for commentary again and I missed that.

And looking at the rest of the uploads on that channel, I missed a TON of hot matches too.

Gonna have to see if I can pick up some cappuccino or even some cans of ice coffee or something to stay awake for Marvel, because I don't wanna miss quarter and semi-finals now if Super Street Fighter IV ended up looking that stacked, and Marvel is even more unpredictable.

kick51

Banned
fell asleep at 2am, woke up at 7am, tried desperately to go back to sleep but the marvel monster said no

If there are even half as many good matches in Marvel as there were in AE, I will be satisfied. Yesterday was so damn nuts. And there is a lot of salt waiting to be dished out in Marvel. Though honestly, Marvel is my favorite, but I'm having a hard time seeing it get as crazy as AE. Japan better be on its game in marvel and there need to be some other underdog blow ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom