• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

So basically like FChamp's Dormammu team or GC Yoshi's Chris team or Dieminion's team or DiosX's team who chip you out without even landing a hit. This is what GOOD zoning teams do in Marvel, they restrict your options and mobility forcing you to make quick and smart decisions or perish. Zoning teams still allow you to play the game... on the opposite side of the spectrum are teams that once they get the first touch on you there is no real playing involved after that.

If DiosX won every tournament people would be even more salty. Dude's game plan is dry as fuck but he gets the job done because he's a solid player.

I'd say Chris G.'s team is beyond just a good zoning team. It's suffocating and versatile. Chris G.'s tournament success this year was cool for a while, now I'm just tired of watching it. I want to see him knocked out because I want to see something different win.
I've always liked watching someone like Comebackfiend or Wong play over something like Chris G has evolved into. Its got nothing to do with not appreciating his ability

Ferrio

Banned
Certainly, since you know for a fact that all OTs are circle jerks, you must also know that the Marvel OT is a circle jerk. So, please, tell me what it is that the Marvel OT circle jerks about. Or admit that you are talking out of your ass. Either one is fine with me.

This is.. not the case. You need to visit more OTs, unless focused discussion = circle jerk to you. There are no cliques either, and not all OTs are uninviting.

People in the Marvel OT don't sit around and say OMG marvel is the best game right? Right! They're discussion teams, tech, helping each other and newcomers, etc.

DmC's OT wasn't a circle jerk... in fact it was the anti-circle jerk thread.

My bad then if I incorrectly accessed the OT. My apologies.

Most long standing OTs tend to be that way, and I avoid them for the most part.

JeTmAn81

I don't even get why people use this term here. Everyone who analyzes this game here on GAF plays it regularly.

I don't know if playing the game at home puts you in the same space as a top-tier tournament player, any more than playing pickup football means you know what it's like to play in the NFL.

Chavelo

I don't even get why people use this term here. Everyone who analyzes this game here on GAF plays it regularly.

lol, I just use it exclusively for Dahbomb.
83048683.gif

Dahbomb

When exactly did ChrisG take MorriDoom into play? Was there a specific tournament/event?
It was at Big 2 early 2012 which is now called NLBC. ChrisG was dicking around with a Morrigan troll team of her, Dante and Phoenix Wright which he actually won a Big 2 with. He soon realized that people couldn't get in on Morrigan all that well, even when she was solo so he added Doom Missiles to pile it on. After that he added Akuma as a defensive ground assist to complete the team. Winterbrawl was the first major he used it in but he got mauled by Justin hardcore. He also used it at CM but was beaten by MarlinPie, that's also where the Sou-Sou-Soul Fist meme came from.

Mind you that ChrisG and Dieminion thought that Morrigan was a top 5 character even prior to this and ChrisG was an OG Morrigan user in Vanilla (Ammy/Morrigan/Phoenix).

USD

Evo 2013 Niconico Live & Mad Catz Japanese Broadcast

Hosted by Aaru, broadcasting from the Niconico booth at the venue. Will have interviews with both Japanese and foreign players.

DAY1

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144448611 - #1 SSFIV AE, TTT2, P4U
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144611404 - #2 SSBM, SSFIV AE

DAY2

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144448702 - #1 UMVC3, KOF XIII
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144612769 - #2 KOF XIII, SSBM, UMVC3, SFXTK

FINAL

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144448877

On the whole how long until we can blame the game. If stuff iss still being found out about SFII, 3rd Strike, and MVC2 and even other games...that's gonna take more than two years.

My bad then if I incorrectly accessed the OT. My apologies.

Most long standing OTs tend to be that way, and I avoid them for the most part.
All is well, then.

I think he means analysts actually going out to tournaments and putting their stuff to the test in the thick of things against top players.
I went to UFGT9. :-(

I don't know if playing the game at home puts you in the same space as a top-tier tournament player, any more than playing pickup football means you know what it's like to play in the NFL.
Armchair suggests no activity, though. I don't think player strength should be a qualifier for one's thoughts being taken seriously, either. Do I have to be a musician to know whether certain music is good? Etc. Sophisticated film makers frequently have bad taste (hello, recent George Lucas and Steven Spielberg!), and top fighting game players frequently have no idea what they are talking about.

The only competitive Marvel player who consistently says anything worth hearing regarding the game's meta is Viscant. The rest of the players have excellent practical knowledge, but weak theoretical knowledge. I think it's important to respect both practical knowledge and theoretical knowledge, as they are both important to fostering a better fighting game scene.

Didn't we tell you before? You have to enter tournaments regularly to -play- the game
Do local $1 tournaments count? ;-)

lol, I just use it exclusively for Dahbomb.
83048683.gif
Hahahaha. Well, to be fair, Dahbomb is the only Marvel GAF member who has never been seen playing, ever. However, his analysis is usually on point or close to it.

Frantic

Derp Wolverine/Zero rushdown teams are the only hype and correct way to play marvel. ChrisG ruined the game by not picking this.
I'd rather punch myself in the dick than watch Wolverine play/run through teams.

Zero is 50/50. I hate what he does, but I can't help but laugh at what he does, so I get some sort of entertainment out of it.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Zero is 50/50. I hate what he does, but I can't help but laugh at what he does, so I get some sort of entertainment out of it.

you gotta love it when someone is across or on top of the screen, and all of the sudden he's in hit stun and Zero in a middle of a combo lol

Also, allow me a bit of self-flattery:
I think that the FGC tends to have the most balanced OTs because we tend to have sharp eyes for quality. Fighting games are the most technical genre of game out there, and those who favor the genre develop a keen sense of what is good and what is not good. We might all have different opinions of game quality, but I've yet to see a FGC subset that doesn't tear its game apart just as much as it loves it. We are not like those who play all the AAA games and drool over the shinies and pretties. We drool over the game mechanics and combat implementation.

Azure J

you gotta love it when someone is across or on top of the screen, and all of the sudden he's in hit stun and Zero in a middle of a combo lol

The best is when you can tell someone literally got hit with the tip of a lightning/Raikousen with Zero nowhere in sight and they just float to the ground into the midnight showing of Zero: The Loop: The Revengeance.

I think that the FGC tends to have the most balanced OTs because we tend to have sharp eyes for quality. Fighting games are the most technical genre of game out there, and those who favor the genre develop a keen sense of what is good and what is not good. We might all have different opinions of game quality, but I've yet to see a FGC subset that doesn't tear its game apart just as much as it loves it. We are not like those who play all the AAA games and drool over the shinies and pretties. We drool over the game mechanics and combat implementation.

f that son i'm here for the drama

Even with ChrisG in grand finals for Marvel last year it was still hype, there was a back and forth on all that.

What I'm more worried about is Infiltration making everyone look omegafree in SF4 again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I think that's certainly true of aged FG threads. Depending on the game, it can incite a lot of more superficial appeal to a broader audience at the start.

But yes, ultimately, the reason why games get broken down to a technical level for fighting games is because that's literally how you play a fighting game. You tear down to the core, find the holes, exploit the weaknesses and strengths. You find the untapped potential in characters and you find the utlity or futility in game mechanics.

Zoning character with 100% damage combos.

Fair and balanced.

Revven

Cosmo put up some part of his Melee stream from the other day here. Goes over some very basic things and you'll learn quite a bit as an introduction to some of the characters/game mechanics.

Dahbomb

Zoning character with 100% damage combos.
Zoning character with near full screen hit confirms into minimum resource full TODs which lead into 4-5 layers deep right/left mix ups with an additional high low fuzzy mix up all while being safe from XF cancels due to Buster release.

JeTmAn81

Zoning character with near full screen hit confirms into minimum resource full TODs which lead into 4-5 layers deep right/left mix ups with an additional high low fuzzy mix up all while being safe from XF cancels due to Buster release.

FAIR AND BALANCED

Bizazedo

Second most. *(Popular) MMO's probably have it beat, probably. Eve Online is pretty heavy.

But yeah, it requires a lot.

And yeah, the fighting game OTs are usually pretty balanced. The SF one can get full of angry, old, bitter people, though, at times. At least it used to, I kind of phased out of it a bit due to that.

Bizazedo

A Zero will not win the tournament, though.

(sorry for double post, hit wrong button).

Once he's got two meters, its effectively over if you don't have a character with really good movement.
To be fair, if you don't have good movement you're not going to win much at all, let alone against Chris Godlike.
Evo 2013 Niconico Live & Mad Catz Japanese Broadcast

Hosted by Aaru, broadcasting from the Niconico booth at the venue. Will have interviews with both Japanese and foreign players.

DAY1

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144448611 - #1 SSFIV AE, TTT2, P4U
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144611404 - #2 SSBM, SSFIV AE

DAY2

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144448702 - #1 UMVC3, KOF XIII
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144612769 - #2 KOF XIII, SSBM, UMVC3, SFXTK

FINAL

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv144448877
Don't want this to get buried. Thanks, USD!
Is there any pre-event happening this year? Like floe's boshi exhibition?
I heard that there was gonna be a VGCW thing happening, but Bazza has said that he doesn't want to go to EVO, so that just might be people talking about whatever. Last I heard about anything "official" is Wizard in talks with Siglemic.
Yeah, this is how Smash has been doing it for years. We don't get the sponsors cause we're such an old game so we crowd fund...everybody. lol

Its a really dope system and leaves us less susceptible to corporate control.
Until NOA exercises that muscle lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom