• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69430816]Just like Teddie. Upper mid character that counters the best character. Vega could loop Sagat forever if I remember right.[/QUOTE]
Ah I see, this makes sense.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What I do when I'm bored at work:

evoroster.png

Doesn't include some notable but technically unofficial entries, such as this year's Skullgirls tournament, last year's VF5FS tournament, or things like the Super Turbo Tournament of Legends.

Jojo's had matchups like that, too. Dio could fight Petshop because he had a fullscreen invincible air hyper that he can combo after and a sagat roundhouse, but he loses to a lot of other top characters.

Kakyoin was like Seth, not necessarily #1, but his gameplan doesn't give a shit about anybody.

Bizazedo

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69427306]Why not? Zero won EVO before.[/QUOTE]

Meta reasons, mainly.

Dahbomb and others are right and always have been in terms of sheer power. My little dude needs a nerf. At this point, despite maining him, they could take away Sougenmu and I'd grudgingly nod my head and be okay with that. He's ridiculously powerful. I am saying all of that first so people don't think I'm insane.

That and his combos are too long (time wise).

I don't think he'll win for a few reasons, though.

1). Dickwin isn't going to be there and I've always been impressed by how he plays his team. He's the best Zero player currently, imo obviously, and the cleanest. Killer Kai is good, too, and has vastly improved. I really like him using Taskmaster on the team. But, it leads into reason #2 (the one Dahbomb hates usually).

2). Zero's HP is low and he has a weakness against teams that fill the screen with hitboxes. I actually think the fight between Dios X and Killer Kai was closer than it should've been based entirely on Dios X getting too cocky and attacking too much. Once he settled down and got conservative, again, he was good. Re-watch the fight and watch how it goes, I think it can be seen if you're looking for his tendencies.

It's not just Dios, though. All those Zero players in the tourney are going to run into keep away squads and I still think a zoning team is Zero's bane. And that leads into....

3). The actual best overall players are not using Zero. I'd cheer and hope Justin won it all if he popped out a Zero team, but that's probably not going to happen. So Zero will help some players advance pretty damn far, but eventually they'll fall to the zoning or just a better player.

Again, overall? I think Zero needs a nerf. Definitely. Tournament wise, though, I don't think he'll win for the above reasons.

But, this being Marvel, anything's possible :).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69432336]
Kakyoin was like Seth, not necessarily #1, but his gameplan doesn't give a shit about anybody.[/QUOTE]
The best type of characters

JeTmAn81

Meta reasons, mainly.

Dahbomb and others are right and always have been in terms of sheer power. My little dude needs a nerf. At this point, despite maining him, they could take away Sougenmu and I'd grudgingly nod my head and be okay with that. He's ridiculously powerful. I am saying all of that first so people don't think I'm insane.

That and his combos are too long (time wise).

I don't think he'll win for a few reasons, though.

1). Dickwin isn't going to be there and I've always been impressed by how he plays his team. He's the best Zero player currently, imo obviously, and the cleanest. Killer Kai is good, too, and has vastly improved. I really like him using Taskmaster on the team. But, it leads into reason #2 (the one Dahbomb hates usually).

2). Zero's HP is low and he has a weakness against teams that fill the screen with hitboxes. I actually think the fight between Dios X and Killer Kai was closer than it should've been based entirely on Dios X getting too cocky and attacking too much. Once he settled down and got conservative, again, he was good. Re-watch the fight and watch how it goes, I think it can be seen if you're looking for his tendencies.

It's not just Dios, though. All those Zero players in the tourney are going to run into keep away squads and I still think a zoning team is Zero's bane. And that leads into....

3). The actual best overall players are not using Zero. I'd cheer and hope Justin won it all if he popped out a Zero team, but that's probably not going to happen. So Zero will help some players advance pretty damn far, but eventually they'll fall to the zoning or just a better player.

Again, overall? I think Zero needs a nerf. Definitely. Tournament wise, though, I don't think he'll win for the above reasons.

But, this being Marvel, anything's possible :).

I agree with some of these points, however the best Zero player is Flocker, and if any Zero is going to win EVO it's that one.

Bizazedo

I agree with some of these points, however the best Zero player is Flocker, and if any Zero is going to win EVO it's that one.

True. He's good enough to get by a lot of the zoning players. It'll depend on the brackets for him, imo.

Still, those are my reasons :).

Dahbomb

Out of the reasons that Biz listed, it's really #3 that is the main reason. If players like ChrisG and Justin started playing Zero we would see a dramatic rise in tournament wins for the characters. That applies to various other characters too but IMO it applies the most for Zero.

#2 applies to a good portion of the top tier as well... there is no singular character that can deal with MorriDoom putting up hit boxes on the screen. You need a full team to fight it and Zero is the same. Zero with Jam Session and patient play can beat the zoning. The real counter point to this is that Zero himself is a character that fills screen with hit boxes. Lightning, Busters, sword normals and all of that can be doubled by Sogenmu. This is like saying Wolverine can be beaten by rushing him down.... well yea but that's also what he does! If you can't beat MorriDoom as Zero then here's a suggestion... play Zero/Morrigan/Doom.

Rhapsody

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69427566]It's like P4A. Mitsuru is the best character but Teddie is the character that can fight Mitsuru.[/QUOTE]
I keep hearing that on GAF, but I hear otherwise everywhere else.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
True. He's good enough to get by a lot of the zoning players. It'll depend on the brackets for him, imo.

Still, those are my reasons :).

I have little doubt that he'll make it to Top 8. And he's proven that he can stand toe to toe with the other Marvel Top 8 regulars.

But no, I don't think he'll win.

If Vanilla SF4 was still alive would Sagat still be the best character or would it be Akuma?

It would definitely be Akuma. Sagat might even drop out of the top 3. Viper and Seth would have risen up much more if the game was more explored. Cammy has potential but her buttons weren't good enough back then to be top 5 material.

But Sagat was still a monster though. 600+ damage off a random dp was some scary shit back in the day. But many feel he wouldn't be #1 or top 3 if the game was more explored.

kick51

Banned
Out of the reasons that Biz listed, it's really #3 that explains it all. If players like ChrisG and Justin started playing Zero we would see a dramatic rise in tournament wins for the characters. That applies to various other characters too but IMO it applies the most for Zero.

God, I hope Justin does something like this. Just to make a statement. Then he can go back to Frank Whack, Storm

He'll be like Oro, has to tie up an arm or else it'll be unfair

Rhapsody

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69433841]I'm the best Mitsuru in the world so I know.[/QUOTE]

I'll take your word for it. (insert random Ono emote)

Bizazedo

#2 applies to a good portion of the top tier as well... there is no singular character that can deal with MorriDoom putting up hit boxes on the screen. You need a full team to fight it and Zero is the same. Zero with Jam Session and patient play can beat the zoning. The real counter point to this is that Zero himself is a character that fills screen with hit boxes. Lightning, Busters, sword normals and all of that can be doubled by Sogenmu. This is like saying Wolverine can be beaten by rushing him down.... well yea but that's also what he does! If you can't beat MorriDoom as Zero then here's a suggestion... play Zero/Morrigan/Doom.

True. I laid out #2 as a blanket statement because I didn't want to write a book, but yes, his team comps do help. But....

He cannot do much except for cancelled lightnings against people like Trish and Taskmaster who consistently shoot down at him at an angle. Dante helps with Jam Session, immensely....there's a reason Zero loves Dante .. but Zero will still be taking chip...

And that's why Killer Kai lost the "Let's take shots at each other!" game when he tried to counter and throw out his own hitboxes (with Taskmaster to back him up, even). He had lower HP and simply would've died before Doom (who was also hovering in that sweet spot that Trish and Task can shoot from).

It's one reason why I think if you were actively trying to cultivate an anti Zero team, Taskmaster on point is a fun tool.

(He still needs nerfed. Feel like I have to say that every time).

Part 1 & Part 2 of the Indie Showcase at EVO.

Going to have a lot of cool games!

Hey Folks,

I helped organize the EVO INDIE SHOWCASE (with Seth & Tom), and I hope all of you who are attending come check out this insane/awesome games.

For all of you stream monsters, we'll have info shortly about when some of the games will be streamed.

If you have any questions, just shoot.

PS. Towerfall is legit.

no, we do!

Ah, carry on then.

Hey Folks,

I helped organize the EVO INDIE SHOWCASE (with Seth & Tom), and I hope all of you who are attending come check out this insane/awesome games.

For all of you stream monsters, we'll have info shortly about when some of the games will be streamed.

If you have any questions, just shoot.

PS. Towerfall is legit.

I'm so glad that they're having another Showcase this year, last year's was pretty fun. Thanks for bumping the post; looking forward to the schedule.

Who I want to win AE: Mike Ross
Who I think will win AE: An Asian

Who I want to win UMvC3: Kusoru
Who I think will win UMvC3: Chris G

Who I want to win Mortal Kombat: Perfect Legend
Who I think will win Mortal Kombat: Perfect Legend

Who I want to win Injustice: Abegen
Who I think will win Injustice: Chris G

Clawww

There is less than a handful of "professional" players in the FGC. Probably not the best term to use to describe the community.

honestly, if I made it to the top or became FGC-famous I'd prolly dick around and troll a bit because it would be fun

I blew up some girl at a tourney once and popped off, it was a blast to rile up the crowd imo

Rhapsody

Banned
Teddy is the only character with actual tools vs what she does. Every other character wins vs her by just overwhelming the mitsuru player which yeah doesn't happen often due to her design

Even Yu and Chie against her? I feel like she has to take some risks against them on wakeup at least.
Yu has it harder in neutral but I don't think it's that bad, but he just needs it once for that knockdown (5:5 imo). Chie can just whiff punish easier in neutral and zone in and out of her range, I feel like.

I just feel like at this point, she's just top 3 with Yu and Chie the best right now. Seems to be the common opinion even in Japan, iirc.

Edit: As for Teddie vs Mitsuru, people like LK and tloc feel that she beats him. I'm not going to agree or disagree on that since I haven't explored that matchup personally enough yet.

Clawww

will Drew make training videos for us as a thank you? in which he uses fighting game metaphors and analogies to teach us how to get swole

Horseress

There is less than a handful of "professional" players in the FGC. Probably not the best term to use to describe the community.

From what I remember, the MCZ Japanese players and Ryan Hart, the EG guys, the Complexity ones and Perfect Legend (FNATIC) are the "professional" players on FGC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom