• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

The problem is Chris G is really good and that pair is just ridiculous. Throw in Dark Vergil on anchor and it takes a LOT more to kill him. He wasn't as successful before putting vergil in the back.
He was just as successful with Akuma in fact. Won a lot of tournaments and was #1 seed going into EVO last year. The main difference would be the EVO title if he wins it this weekend.

alstein

People have had a year and a half to adapt to ChrisG's playstyle. It's not his fault that no one has adapted.

If no one can adjust in a year and a half, these days it's a good shot it's the game not the players. I don't think the skill gap is as great as it was back in the MVC2 days, and tech moves much faster than those days.

Chris G losing would probably be the best thing for Marvel (he can win the following year)

I remember how once upon a time Fanatiq and J Wong was on stream and Fanatiq was talking about how Chris G has one of the best Dooms out there, which J Wong laughed off. And Fanatiq was trying to tell him how no one knows how to land hits and get air throws with Doom as well as Chris G does, and trying to fanciful stuff with Doom is pointless anyway when you can kill with simple Doom combos, If everyone has the same attitude against Chris G's Doom as J Wong does how could they possibly beat his Doom?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If no one can adjust in a year and a half, these days it's a good shot it's the game not the players. I don't think the skill gap is as great as it was back in the MVC2 days, and tech moves much faster than those days.

Chris G losing would probably be the best thing for Marvel (he can win the following year)

How does this make any sense? What would be the difference of him winning this year versus next year?

Part of the reason why no one's adjusted is because there's a big pool of players that don't get regular training sessions against a Morrigan/Doom. And out of that pool of players, there's very few that are actually as skilled as ChrisG is.

What was his old team? Akuma/Dog/Ordinary Guy?

He used several different teams. Ammy, Ryu, Wesker is the one you're thinking of, I think. Then Wesker, Ryu, Hawkeye. ChrisG was one of the premier Weskers. His airthrow game was unmatched.

Dirtbag

Nothing is "impossible" in this game. If there is a 1-9 situation... Marvel is the game where you can over come the odds. How many times has Haggar Pipe'd Magneto on the dome piece? How many times has Sentinel OCV'd an entire team composed entirely of his bad match ups? How many times has Doom given the foot dive to characters like Hawkeye/Strange for the win? How many times has Dark Phoenix or Dark Vergil been overcome in dire sitiations? How many times has someone got out of a "guaranteed" set up?

This is the game of dreams and hope. Never give up. Ever.

Definitely what makes Marvel so exciting to watch.
Just hard to get excited about watching someone lockdown chip to win.
You can't make a mistake against Chris G, and Chris G doesn't seem to make any mistakes. He's definitely changed the way Marvel is being won.

Hey Buttholes,

I put up the UltraChenTV Evo 2013 preshow supershow show earlier. We talk about the history of Evo and the schedule and size of the tournament this year. Then we have Tom Cannon aka Inkblot on for an interesting interview about Evo past and present. After that, we spend over an hour breaking down the players, characters, and storylines to watch in each of the nine official tournament games.

Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeHQpWHbakE

Ferrio

Banned
You can't make a mistake against Chris G, and Chris G doesn't seem to make any mistakes. He's definitely changed the way Marvel is being won.

Potsplits?

If no one can adjust in a year and a half, these days it's a good shot it's the game not the players.
certainly not the players who complain instead of practicing, or the ones who play the game and don't like it, etc.

let's blame the game instead
Hey Buttholes,

I put up the UltraChenTV Evo 2013 preshow supershow show earlier. We talk about the history of Evo and the schedule and size of the tournament this year. Then we have Tom Cannon aka Inkblot on for an interesting interview about Evo past and present. After that, we spend over an hour breaking down the players, characters, and storylines to watch in each of the nine official tournament games.

Buttholes? That's offensive and I'm going to sue the pants off of you.

Hey Buttholes,

You're a butthole...

Nyoro SF

Hey Buttholes,

David beginning to ramp up his #CPM efforts

Hey Buttholes,

reported

Dirtbag

I will be rooting for literally anyone but Chris G. to win Marvel, and I don't even think that will be enough. He's got to be favored to win Marvel, right?

Nothing against the dude, I don't even play Marvel anymore and when I did I'm not good enough to care.. Just not fun to watch his team dominate anymore (for me).

Dahbomb

ChrisG doesn't just lock you down, he rushes you down as well and gets big combos with Morrigan going. He plays a complete game. Yea if he figures out that you are clueless on how to deal with Soul Fist spam he will pile it on but against better players he is cautious.

Aside from introducing Morrigan into the meta game... ChrisG didn't really add much as to how the high level of the game is played. Anchor Vergil was a staple way before ChrisG and of course Champ won EVO with Missiles. Others players were zoning to win as well.

If any other player was this dominant at a game people would complain too. "Oh noes,, derp rushdown Wolverine is winning every tournament.... rushdown too strong" or "Zero wins yet another tournament by making us watch the movie".

People have had a year and a half to adapt to ChrisG's playstyle. It's not his fault that no one has adapted.

I still think a large part of why ChrisG wins is unfamiliarity, at least when it comes to fighting Morrigan. The player who has the most success fighting ChrisG is Flux (someone who plays with him every week). Even RayRay has some success fighting ChrisG using a team that should never actually touch him on paper.

Ferrio

Banned
certainly not the players who complain instead of practicing, or the ones who play the game and don't like it, etc.

let's blame the game instead

Okay, this raises an interesting question. What is the time span when we can actually start considering it's the game balance?

I always notice that the people who complain about ChrisG and claim his team is too strong never post in the Marvel OT. Most of them only come out of the woodwork when there's a major for them to watch. I don't think anyone who actually plays Marvel regularly lacks a proper understanding of the situation.

Dahbomb

Okay, this raises an interesting question. What is the time span when we can actually start considering it's the game balance?
When someone other than ChrisG starts winning with Morrigan.

Although everyone knows Hidden Missiles is broken as hell and there are obvious balance issues with the game.

I always notice that the people who complain about ChrisG and claim his team is too strong never post in the Marvel OT. Most of them only come out of the woodwork when there's a major for them to watch. I don't think anyone who actually plays Marvel regularly lacks a proper understanding of the situation.

Cut them some slack. They just want some variety, not the same guy winning over and over again.

jbug617

Banned
Mad Catz and Nico Nico are teaming up for an official Japanese commentary of finals day. It's going to be free stream on Nico.

alstein

Some folks would say Ivan Ooze is balanced and folks need time to adjust- some folks thought Scorpion needed to be patched day 1. There is a happy medium, but at some point you have to say it's more than players not adjusting.

The reason I don't post in Marvel thread is I don't play Marvel- I wouldn't know the intricacies of the game, I do know if one team is dominating for a year, it's either the player (possible since we haven't seen Morridoom run the game) or the game itself. I can understand why others wouldn't run Morridoom- you don't beat someone by being a copy.

With the increased flow of knowledge today- that timeframe is much shorter than it was in the Dark Ages.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Great news Japanese Evo fans, Nico Nico and MatCatz have joined forces to bring you an official Japanese language stream of Evo 2013! Nico Nico will be broadcasting all weekend long from their site, with Japanese commentators. The stream will be free to watch with no premium required.

キタ━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ッ

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Certainly not this early. I would say at least 2 years. Even the characters that aren't looking good now might, in the right hands, find some interesting properties or broken tech, or, some characters will move down as execution improves and some of the more brain dead characters are replaced by higher reward characters, or more specialized characters. And that's even early to throw out certain team compositions.

Dirtbag

ChrisG doesn't just lock you down, he rushes you down as well and gets big combos with Morrigan going. He plays a complete game. Yea if he figures out that you are clueless on how to deal with Soul Fist spam he will pile it on but against better players he is cautious.

Aside from introducing Morrigan into the meta game... ChrisG didn't really add much as to how the high level of the game is played. Anchor Vergil was a staple way before ChrisG and of course Champ won EVO with Missiles. Others players were zoning to win as well.

If any other player was this dominant at a game people would complain too. "Oh noes,, derp rushdown Wolverine is winning every tournament.... rushdown too strong" or "Zero wins yet another tournament by making us watch the movie".

I was talking about how he doesnt even need to land a hit to character kill within the first few seconds. Once he's got two meters, its effectively over if you don't have a character with really good movement. His team backed by his skill gives you such a short window to overcome him. Anchor Vergil is just a stroke of evil genius should you over come your first challenge

Hey Guys,

Thanks to anyone that helped me during the stream last night. One of my favorite things about MLG/eSports is that you know when your favorite players will be playing. So I created a sort of schedule for AE to hopefully ensure the best matches make it to the mainstage. Now I'm not promising these matches will go up or even happen due to upsets, but a least you can know when to tune in and likely see your favorite player. Later this evening around 6pm PST I'll be putting together a list for UMVC3.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApdYUdFxjuy6dHhMUHYybGFkeWlZQVExcnpEQnhHOVE#gid=0

This is a great list, thanks. I don't suppose Neurosis would have slipped under your radar? (I want him to be there dammit, but I'm guessing he is not)

Not to mention OTs become a circlejerk club. Sorry we're not apart of it.
What exactly does the Marvel OT circle jerk about?

Cut them some slack. They just want some variety, not the same guy winning over and over again.
And that's okay. If someone merely says "I hate watching ChrisG's play, it's boring to me", I can respect that. What's not respectable is claiming that the team is what wins him the matches over player skill, or saying that it "ruined" the game somehow. That's just ridiculous.

imBask

Banned

yeah pretty much this

as I said yesterday, Infiltration's ridiculous dominance made SF4 boring last year, I had more fun watching KOF XIII and the crazy mexican crowd even as a SF4 fanboy

Every OT becomes a circlejerk, with it's on cliques and crap. This isn't marvel exclusive.
Certainly, since you know for a fact that all OTs are circle jerks, you must also know that the Marvel OT is a circle jerk. So, please, tell me what it is that the Marvel OT circle jerks about. Or admit that you are talking out of your ass. Either one is fine with me.

Dahbomb

I was talking about how he doesnt even need to land a hit to character kill within the first few seconds. Once he's got two meters, its effectively over if you don't have a character with really good movement. His team backed by his skill gives you such a short window to overcome him. Anchor Vergil is just a stroke of evil genius should you over come your first challenge
So basically like FChamp's Dormammu team or GC Yoshi's Chris team or Dieminion's team or DiosX's team who chip you out without even landing a hit. This is what GOOD zoning teams do in Marvel, they restrict your options and mobility forcing you to make quick and smart decisions or perish. Zoning teams still allow you to play the game... on the opposite side of the spectrum are teams that once they get the first touch on you there is no real playing involved after that.

If DiosX won every tournament people would be even more salty. Dude's game plan is dry as fuck but he gets the job done because he's a solid player.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Every OT becomes a circlejerk, with it's on cliques and crap. This isn't marvel exclusive.
This is.. not the case. You need to visit more OTs, unless focused discussion = circle jerk to you. There are no cliques either, and not all OTs are uninviting.

People in the Marvel OT don't sit around and say OMG marvel is the best game right? Right! They're discussion teams, tech, helping each other and newcomers, etc.

Chavelo

It's one thing to say "hell, this shit is boring. How come Chris G is the only one actually playing and practicing for this game while everyone just looks by and doesn't do shit?" and it's another (uneducated) thing to say "lol, this is boring. Chris G is cheating and not letting anyone have fun".

I mean, yeah, the OTs might have too many.. armchair analysts, but at least they understand what's going on, and they say Chris G can take it because he has proven time and time again that his play works all time, most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom