• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also if Marvel or Injustice are too hype, people are going to be exhausted by the time AE rolls around. Same thing happened last year.

I agree. All signs point to marvel being pretty emotionally draining this year which is going to be really hard to follow, especially for the more reserved AE favourites.

The answer is to just watch it like me!

The amount of 'dumb' stuff in this Kusoru/Steve H set is so good.
I have the attention span of a minion. I can't watch over an hour of footage in one sitting! Hell, I can barely go through thirty minutes at once. I just get drained lol.

Part of why I like the way you post videos with a sentence or two to describe who is fighting and what is going on. Gets me interested, but sometimes I get bodied by the watching time.

Dahbomb

I agree. All signs point to marvel being pretty emotionally draining this year which is going to be really hard to follow, especially for the more reserved AE favourites.
ChrisG winning EVO with ease would deflate the hype. I like ChrisG and respect him but watching him 3-0 or worse 6-0 someone in GF is pretty damn boring. I don't think it will happen but it's a possibility.

ChrisG winning EVO with ease would deflate the hype. I like ChrisG and respect him but watching him 3-0 or worse 6-0 someone in GF is pretty damn boring. I don't think it will happen but it's a possibility.

True. I suspect it will not be that simple though. I can just see him breaking down at 0-2 and then coming back somehow to win it.

Or something, or not.

Can't wait to find out. Wish we had a Floe like event just to kick everything off.

Dude should play however he wants and when he wants. All this drama over who wins and how they do it is silly. I'm down for 6-0. If people quit because of that then it is what it is.

The impression I got from this scene felt so different just a couple of years ago. It was so fierce and sharp that I felt like it doesn't matter so long as the strongest comes up. First go around we got a "fraud" who abused the most fucked up aspects of Vanilla and next we got the ultimate showboater and the personification of "flash" for Ultimate. Show me the next step in Mahvel's evolution pls.

JeTmAn81

That would be anti-hype but you never know what could happen. How crazy was Infrit beating Champ in winner's finals last year?

Clawww

True. I suspect it will not be that simple though. I can just see him breaking down at 0-2 and then coming back somehow to win it.

Or something, or not.

Can't wait to find out. Wish we had a Floe like event just to kick everything off.

could you imagine a grand finals last match ending on a DRAW GAME trade

Dahbomb

BTW this is going to be my first time watching competitive Melee live.

I don't know anything about the game! Well except that when the percentage numbers go up your character gets floatier. It's going to feel like watching competitive MVC2 for the first time... I wouldn't know what's going but it's probably going to be exciting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also if Marvel or Injustice are too hype, people are going to be exhausted by the time AE rolls around. Same thing happened last year.
Nah, I don't think you can have too much hype. 2011 EVO was great for Marvel and people were thinking AE couldn't live up to that GF, but it just kept rolling.

Maybe comparatively some people will find coming down off of the high hard when it slows down between games, but AE last year just didn't have that many great matches and it didn't help it was so damn late, only to end just the way everyone expected (though Infiltration's play was excellent).

This year I'm looking forward to watching more games than ever. Marvel, AE, Melee, Injustice and TTT2. Usually I only watch the big two + Tekken 6. Still super sad I'm missing TTT2 finals and AE pools Friday.

Dahbomb

could you imagine a grand finals last match ending on a DRAW GAME trade
That happened in a Marvel tournament once and it was crazy hype. FChamp was about to lose the whole set against Tayson and it got to time over only both characters had the same health so they both "lost". Tayson thought he had won and started celebrating but FChamp didn't accept it so the judge was called.

The ruling for a Marvel draw is that they play the match out again as if the draw match never happened. The game awards both players with a loss rather than a win like in AE so that was the reasoning provided for it.

I saved the moment in gif form for posterity as it was a truly rare thing:

VKiNH.gif

I don't know anything about the game! Well except that when the percentage numbers go up your character gets floatier. It's going to feel like watching competitive MVC2 for the first time... I wouldn't know what's going but it's probably going to be exciting.

Same boat and exactly why I am so excited to see Smash. Hype is infectious.

That happened in a Marvel tournament once and it was crazy hype. FChamp was about to lose the whole set against Tayson and it got to time over only both characters had the same health so they both "lost". Tayson thought he had won and started celebrating but FChamp didn't accept it so the judge was called.

The ruling for a Marvel draw is that they play the match out again as if the draw match never happened. The game awards both players with a loss rather than a win like in AE so that was the reasoning provided for it.

VKiNH.gif

Man that was the best thing ever.

Marz

Anyone else feel that we're in desperate need of some new big-name games? I've practically been falling asleep watching recent tourneys

Nah, people are at the Apex of SF4 play finally and the game is getting another patch, while people are just starting to optimize Marvel play.

Anyone else feel that we're in desperate need of some new big-name games? I've practically been falling asleep watching recent tourneys
There are plenty of great games being played already. Maybe it'd be better to get weaned off the high of new releases in favor of watching and playing what is currently out.

Fighters are built to be replay friendly. There is no need for the scene to go all Madden on us. Clearly Capcom's sales department got the message loud and clear.

I'd be down for less new releases if each release was a constantly growing and evolving content platform with continual developer support like a PC multiplayer title.

Has it been confirmed what the patch prices/policies will be next gen?

Joule

i enjoyed watching this but didnt understand what was going on :(
Kusoru is infamous for being a troll and just doing ridiculous and often stupid things (sometimes they end up working!) in his Guilty Gear playstyle thus Kusoru (Kuso meaning shit and soru/Sol is the character he plays). Troll Badguy would an apt English version. To compare him to somebody he's kind of like Jyobin's Ryu in SF4.

If this got you interested in watching more GG, do check out the stream for the side tournament at Evo.

I have the attention span of a minion. I can't watch over an hour of footage in one sitting! Hell, I can barely go through thirty minutes at once. I just get drained lol.

Part of why I like the way you post videos with a sentence or two to describe who is fighting and what is going on. Gets me interested, but sometimes I get bodied by the watching time.
My friend already watched that set like three times! I admit there is a lot of absorb sometimes in these really long sets but Maruken really puts on a show in this one. Just do it in 2 or 3 sittings.

Yeah I try to watch at least some of what I post so I can give a brief description of it even if I'm not as well versed in those games. Watching through 3 hours of something only to find none of the characters that interest you = bleh.

Edgeward

You should watch this. One of the finer Smash matches recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrVknUV880A

Clawww

VKiNH.gif

oh yeah i remember that, fucking crazy. would be even nuttier in evo finals

the debate was whether a draw counts as 0 or 1 win for each player, right?

MechaX

I dunno. Someone has to have figured out ChrisG's strat by now. Moreover, I think he was at least knocked into losers the past few years at EVO.

I'm hoping for at least a good fight, not him boding everyone with the exact same shit we've seen for the past several months.

Edit: To be honest, I'm kinda hyped for the Smash matches. I haven't really kept up with the competitive scene since the Ken and Isai days. I'm curious to see how things have changed since then.

Dahbomb

oh yeah i remember that, fucking crazy. would be even nuttier in evo finals

the debate was whether a draw counts as 0 or 1 win for each player, right?
Yea that was the debate but it's fairly clear cut the game counts as a loss for both unlike AE. It's how it was in MVC2 as well...if you got a draw at the arcades BOTH the players had to insert their quarters in to play.

You should watch this. One of the finer Smash matches recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrVknUV880A
I don't know what's going on, without actually playing the game in depth it's impossible to appreciate the high level play.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd be down for less new releases if each release was a constantly growing and evolving content platform with continual developer support like a PC multiplayer title.

Has it been confirmed what the patch prices/policies will be next gen?
Not yet. Microsoft stopped charging devs for patches or something earlier this year.. so that's something. Sony said they wouldn't charge indies, so that's something too, though for both MS and Sony it's unclear if these are universal changes or there is still some categorization of different developer tiers. Sony's store won't discriminate, so I think it'd be logical if they didn't discriminate with patches either.

Signs point to that stuff being a thing of the past though. The future looks good, especially for fighting games. We just need to get to next gen now and SF4 needs to die ASAP.

I dunno. Someone has to have figured out ChrisG's strat by now. Moreover, I think he was at least knocked into losers the past few years at EVO.

The problem is Chris G has: morridoom spam, morridoom with morrigan going in and level 3 Vergil. All three of them are figured out to some extent, but nobody has a consistent answer to all of them in one set.

Dahbomb

The problem is Chris G has: morridoom spam, morridoom with morrigan going in and level 3 Vergil. All three of them are figured out to some extent, but nobody has a consistent answer to all of them in one set.
The hilarious part is that the above isn't even the most powerful strat on that team... it's Vergil on point with Missiles locking you down and slowly chipping you out with Round Trip glitching. ChrisG has near perfected that and that's how he has been getting many of his recent wins. He lost a few times and adapted, everyone else is still playing catch up.

The hilarious part is that the above isn't even the most powerful strat on that team... it's Vergil on point with Missiles locking you down and slowly chipping you out with Round Trip glitching. ChrisG has near perfected that and that's how he has been getting many of his recent wins. He lost a few times and adapted, everyone else is still playing catch up.

Who is the FGTV player who was really good at that? Padtrick or something? Whatever happened to that guy?

MechaX

Morridoom spam sucks, but I think the biggest thing that Chris G has is that he can play Vergil really well as a very, very easy crutch. For any match that actually knocked out either Morrigan or Doom, it was like "well, he knows how to actually use Vergil now as opposed to like a year ago, so easy, easy 100% combos". But I do agree that no one so far that we have seen really has a consistent answer to all three.

Although, I do remember reading awhile back that Infrit got a new team that really fits him, so there's that. Maybe.

Edit: Speaking of Infrit, what the fuck happened to Wolf Street? (guy that blew him up immediately after EVO with a Raccoon/Trish/Wright team?)

Dahbomb

Who is the FGTV player who was really good at that? Padtrick or something? Whatever happened to that guy?
Padtrick went back to TTT2 briefly then came back only recently and got bodied at yesterday's WMW. Still plays the team and the game but he's not a major threat.

Vergil RT glitch is not a big deal with standard beam assists or Vajra... it's a different beast when Missiles are involved. It's just another reason Missiles needs to be deleted from the game, the assist gives quite a few characters Strider + Doom or Spiral + Sentinel MVC2 style lockdown.

KoF international talent this year is going to be amazing. Japan in particular is bringing out like ten or more of their best, with some names being: Oogosho, Koukou, Kaoru, Wuu, Tokido, Mago, Picnic, Kantoku, Sange, and Haregoro. Unbelievably, literally the two of the top three players in Mexico, being Bala and Koopa, will not be in attendance. Kula who rounds out the trio also seems to have dropped out. This really upsets me. Luis Cha at least will have his chance on the big stage unlike last year, and Romance will again be holding down the fort. A Japan/Mexico 5v5 with the names mentioned would have been the hypest shit ever. I'm not exactly sure who from CafeID is here for KoF but I managed to find MAD_KoF, Poongko, Kensouzzang, and Ssong. A few of them also seem to have been picked up by Razer.

anyways, not crazy about 10AM grand finals but I'm just happy KoF is here again. The competition is much more condensed this year.

I don't know what's going on, without actually playing the game in depth it's impossible to appreciate the high level play.

What is it you need help understanding? I'm sure there are Melee fans in here who can help explain things, and I still have a basic understanding of Melee if nobody else can answer you quickly.

Ultimadrago

Melee has the third most entrants? That's insane.

Damn straight. I haven't watched it played competitively for a minute though. Here's to hoping for some exciting matches.

Damn you Solar now I have to watch this again.

That Grand Finals. Hng.

anyways, not crazy about 10AM grand finals but I'm just happy KoF is here again.

Same here. I loved watching the top matches for KoF last year.

Morridoom spam sucks, but I think the biggest thing that Chris G has is that he can play Vergil really well as a very, very easy crutch. For any match that actually knocked out either Morrigan or Doom, it was like "well, he knows how to actually use Vergil now as opposed to like a year ago, so easy, easy 100% combos". But I do agree that no one so far that we have seen really has a consistent answer to all three.

Although, I do remember reading awhile back that Infrit got a new team that really fits him, so there's that. Maybe.

Edit: Speaking of Infrit, what the fuck happened to Wolf Street? (guy that blew him up immediately after EVO with a Raccoon/Trish/Wright team?)

What new team? Infrit has been a pale shadow of himself without Sentinel, who contributed greatly to his run towards the finals last year. He's not going to get far if he's going to stick to that team Nemo nonsense because he defo doesn't have the execution to play that team.

Padtrick went back to TTT2 briefly then came back only recently and got bodied at yesterday's WMW. Still plays the team and the game but he's not a major threat.

Vergil RT glitch is not a big deal with standard beam assists or Vajra... it's a different beast when Missiles are involved. It's just another reason Missiles needs to be deleted from the game, the assist gives quite a few characters Strider + Doom or Spiral + Sentinel MVC2 style lockdown.

Thanks for answering the questions and sharing the knowledge.

MechaX

What new team? Infrit has been a pale shadow of himself without Sentinel, who contributed greatly to his run towards the finals last year. He's not going to get far if he's going to stick to that team Nemo nonsense because he defo doesn't have the execution to play that team.

I have no idea what the team actually is (it could be something without wackbot, but personally, Sentinel saved him in last year's EVO a shit ton in the same). I only recall that Infrit was talking to Jwong or someone on twitter at one point over twitter saying that he found a new team that perfectly fit him.

It should be interesting to see, but I dunno.

Dahbomb

What is it you need help understanding? I'm sure there are Melee fans in here who can help explain things, and I still have a basic understanding of Melee if nobody else can answer you quickly.
I don't know shit about the game. Like if one of my old Tekken buddies came up to me and asked me to explain to him MVC3 in a concise manner by which he can understand high level play, I wouldn't know where to start. That's where I am... I am the Tekken buddy.

And Infrit's new team is Team Nemo, which he isn't all that good with. He should've stuck with his Sentinel team.. his Sentinel gets more work done than his Strange or Doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom