• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question: Is it worth it to bring an Xbox stick too, or does one not even need to bother with that?

Worth it for the potential side events and BYOC area.
I don't know shit about the game. Like if one of my old Tekken buddies came up to me and asked me to explain to him MVC3 in a concise manner by which he can understand high level play, I wouldn't know where to start. That's where I am... I am the Tekken buddy.
Wow, that's rough. :lol

Well there's a bunch of shit regarding high-level play. You of course already know the basics about Smash, I'm assuming. Knock opponent off the edge in one of the four main directions. The more damage you take, the higher your percentage raises and the easier it is for you to be knocked away. As I mentioned, that's the basics.

What you should know in regards to tournaments is character/stage selection. You're gonna see a lot of quick characters on stream because those are characters that have the best methods of getting things done. Fox, Shiek, Falco, and Marth are the 4 most common characters you're gonna be seeing, so prepare yourself.

smurfx

get some go again
KoF international talent this year is going to be amazing. Japan in particular is bringing out like ten or more of their best, with some names being: Oogosho, Koukou, Kaoru, Wuu, Tokido, Mago, Picnic, Kantoku, Sange, and Haregoro. Unbelievably, literally the two of the top three players in Mexico, being Bala and Koopa, will not be in attendance. Kula who rounds out the trio also seems to have dropped out. This really upsets me. Luis Cha at least will have his chance on the big stage unlike last year, and Romance will again be holding down the fort. A Japan/Mexico 5v5 with the names mentioned would have been the hypest shit ever. I'm not exactly sure who from CafeID is here for KoF but I managed to find MAD_KoF, Poongko, Kensouzzang, and Ssong. A few of them also seem to have been picked up by Razer.

anyways, not crazy about 10AM grand finals but I'm just happy KoF is here again. The competition is much more condensed this year.
shit kula dropped out? guess mexico isn't gonna be representing this year.

MechaX

And Infrit's new team is Team Nemo, which he isn't all that good with. He should've stuck with his Sentinel team.. his Sentinel gets more work done than his Strange or Doom.

Wait, that's actually the new team? Well shit, my hype is kinda deflated.

The problem is Chris G has: morridoom spam, morridoom with morrigan going in and level 3 Vergil. All three of them are figured out to some extent, but nobody has a consistent answer to all of them in one set.
Firebrand really destroys this team if he touches Morrigan.

1) Hit Morrigan.
2) XF1.
3) Kill Morrigan with snapback to Vergil.
4) Unblockable Vergil.
5) Kill Vergil.
6) Easy win against Doom, especially if character 2 is Dormammu.

1) and 3) are the hard parts, haha.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Chris G doesn't wanna play Marvel at EVO?? Kadey, this is gonna be the easiest 100 dollars I ever made.... except that one time in Tijuana with the donkey.

It doesn't work that way. And when did I say it was on? I don't want Canadian money. Canadian money is worthless to me. I want that rich Middle Eastern oil money.

Oh shit I forgot umvc3 is still 2/3 in pools. Why didn't they make it 3/5? They're reasoning last year was because it was on short notice that 3/5 became the standard. What's there excuse this year?

1) Hit Morrigan.
2) XF1.
4) Unblockable Vergil.
5) Kill Vergil.

Except there's no such thing as an easy win against Chris G's Doom.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
And Infrit's new team is Team Nemo, which he isn't all that good with. He should've stuck with his Sentinel team.. his Sentinel gets more work done than his Strange or Doom.

I thought he's been using that team. I've never seen him complete the hard tag combo.

I probably should've just made a new post instead of editing my previous one on this page, but hopefully you see it anyways Dahbomb. One thing I forgot to mention is that as your percentage goes up, so does the amount of hitstun you suffer as you get hit.

You're gonna see a lot of Fox because: his Smash attacks are quick and strong, particularly his up-smash which can kill people at curiously low percentages. He also excels at killing people early because he can knock you off the side of the stage and use his Reflector (down+b) to knock you away from the stage. Fox/Falco both have them and they can reflect projectiles, but they can also hurt people if you're close enough to them when you first activate them. Fox's is notorious because it sends the victim flying sideways even at a low percentage. His blaster doesn't cause hitstun, but it's extremely fast and can rack up damage quickly.

Falco is the Ken to Fox's Ryu. Same moves, different properties. Falco has his "pillar" strategy where he racks up damage by using his Reflector (which knocks the opponent vertically into the air instead), then jumps up and uses his down-air to send you flying back down to the ground. If the opponent is bad at teching when they hit the ground, he can keep doing this for a good long while until he feels like killing you. His down-air is nasty without this strategy too, since it shoots the opponent downwards pretty quickly. Factor in hitstun and you can kiss a stock goodbye.

I don't know a whole lot about Marth and Shiek other than Marth is your standard "i'm a sword character, therefore I'm way too good" character, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in. Also on Fox/Falco, too.

You're going to be seeing a lot of stage counter-picking. Obviously some stages have less hazards than others, but there's other things to consider. Some stages are actually larger than they appear since you also have to take into account how high the ceilings are for each stage. Jungle Japes, for instance, has a deceptively high ceiling.

There's a lot more, but as I mentioned already this is just basic stuff. There's other, smarter people in the thread who can also answer questions in here if you've got something else you wanna know.

Also, fuck martha.

Except there's no such thing as an easy win against Chris G's Doom.
I know it's you, and I should just laugh and move on, but: have you seen ChrisG's Doom against Dormammu + Hidden Missiles? It's not any better off than any other Doom. That matchup is as free as you get in this game.

Dahbomb

1) Hit Morrigan.
2) XF1.
4) Unblockable Vergil.
5) Kill Vergil.

Apologyman beat ShadyK who was using ChrisG's team. Essentially what he did was he would get a hit with FB, raw tag into Doom and kill Morrigan. Bring FB back in, unblockable Doom, snap in Vergil, kill him using XF then unblockable Doom.

Sometimes he would XF to kill Morrigan. Whenever Apologyman won a game Vergil didn't get to play. The hardest part was getting hit on Morrigan as FB.

Honestly speaking Flux does the same thing.... he jus rushes down Morrigan while calling Jam Session. Anytime Buster is charged it's used to negate Doom or go for a super fast mix up at close space (tossing coins). Then he would put the entire team into the trilogy and win. Only problem was that Flux fucked it up by dropping combos on Doom and Chris came back with Doom 2-3 times. Flux lost to himself after convincingly beating Morrigan many times.

Apologyman beat ShadyK who was using ChrisG's team. Essentially what he did was he would get a hit with FB, raw tag into Doom and kill Morrigan. Bring FB back in, unblockable Doom, snap in Vergil, kill him using XF then unblockable Doom.

Sometimes he would XF to kill Morrigan. Whenever Apologyman won a game Vergil didn't get to play. The hardest part was getting hit on Morrigan as FB.

Honestly speaking Flux does the same thing.... he jus rushes down Morrigan while calling Jam Session. Anytime Buster is charged it's used to negate Doom or go for a super fast mix up at close space (tossing coins). Then he would put the entire team into the trilogy and win. Only problem was that Flux fucked it up by dropping combos on Doom and Chris came back with Doom 2-3 times. Flux lost to himself after convincingly beating Morrigan many times.
Exactly. Getting that first hit with Firebrand against Morrigan/Doom is not easy, though. Especially since Capcom gave Firebrand a frustratingly slow walk speed for his character type.

Dahbomb

Also ChrisG has adapted to these types of teams by replacing Vergil with Magneto. That's how he beat Flux on the runback.

Prof Beef I read all that. Sounds legit, some stuff I knew and some I didn't.

shit kula dropped out? guess mexico isn't gonna be representing this year.

I wanna say it's not 100%. Kula was supposed to be in SoCal since June to practice up but that didn't happen. He was also supposed to show up to the Team Lago tournament that happened this past weekend IN MEXICO, but again he "couldn't make it". There's no way to communicate with the guy directly it seems, so we're just gonna have to wait and see. Obviously we have some Mexican players; in fact barring Bala, all the notable Mexican players from last year will be present and perhaps a few more. However the best of the best in Mexico seemingly will not be there. Sucks yo.

but! For anyone who is interested in seeing what could have been, the Team Lago tournament I mentioned was intense as all hell. It was held in Tijuana. Players Fox, Frionel, and Tom Sawyer from France/Morocco were there as a bonus. Kula, Romance, and Luis Cha were supposed to be there, which would have increased the drama tenfold. Day 1 is the full tourney and day 2 was all money/personal matches; both have been archived on the TL Twitch channel. Here are the grand finals, MAD hype:

http://www.twitch.tv/teamlago/c/2542549

Kyzon

Since I live here in Vegas, I'll be dropping in to do some serious street passing! Hope to see you there fellow gaffers!

That's why people can't beat Chris G. It's not his Morrigan that's causing people trouble, it's the blatant lack of respect they have for his Doom and Vergil. They keep thinking the match is over with Morrigan dead, then they end up dropping combos and getting bopped by Chris G's Doom/Vergil. If they wake up and realize the path to beating Chris G only begins with Morrigan gone they'll be doing much better against him.

Degen

looks like I'll be able to catch most of EVO this year

I look forward to hyping every grappler fight I see, whether I actually play the game or not

Unlucky

The problem with Marn is that he's so inconsistent (and he chokes). But I've seen him do some clutch shit. When he's on he can be very, very good.

I'm watching the SF4 EVO 2011 Top 8 again. I didn't get to watch the stream live because I was actually there watching in the crowd. Man that top 8 was fucking amazing, well besides GF when Fuudo bodied Latif. But until then it was some of the best SF I've ever seen and easily the best I've seen in person. Every top 8 for SF4 at EVO has been pretty good except for last years. Hopefully this year can bring back some of the magic lost from last year when Infiltration demon'd everybody. But so far I'd rank SF4 top 8's this way

1. EVO 2011: Best overall top 8, weak finals though. I'm biased though since I was actually there
2. EVO 2009: Great top 8 and easily the best GF of them all though
3. EVO 2010: Solid throughout, but nothing too remarkable or memorable about this top 8.
4. EVO 2012: Demons, demons everywhere :(

Marn doesn't seem to care that much about AE anymore so I don't expect much from him for it.

He did pretty good against Daigo during their exhibition at the MCZ Booth at PAX East. He lost 2-0 I think, but started both matches with big leads only to choke it away. He may not care, but he's still got the talent to pull it off. Kind of ironic that they're in the same pool considering he's the first American to eliminate Daigo in a US tourney.

ive never seen SSBB played at high level before - i didnt even know it was thing but i love the smash brothers game - any good vids i can look at on you tube you guys would recommend which features well known or high level players in the SSBB community?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I really enjoyed watching Infiltration run a train on everyone last year. When he started bullying Daigo right out of the gate in their match it definitely caught my attention.

I really enjoyed watching Infiltration run a train on everyone last year. When he started bullying Daigo right out of the gate in their match it definitely caught my attention.

I thought I was the only one. I love seeing people get straight up bodied. What makes it funny is that almost every match was close and Infiltration still ended up winning matches.

so i just subscribed to twitchtv.com to look at some stuff before evo. Go to an SSBB forum. First thing i see is this:

rambo_allday: xdecker likes to *** his cousin....and hiis mom his sister even his brother

The fighting game community ay?

Shimesaba

(Melee Infodump Warning)

I don't know a whole lot about Marth and Shiek other than Marth is your standard "i'm a sword character, therefore I'm way too good" character, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in. Also on Fox/Falco, too.
Marth and Sheik are midweight characters with very strong offstage games; in particular Fox, Falco, and C. Falcon are very susceptible to getting thrown off and then gimped (repeatedly knocked out of recovery in order to KO at low percentage) by both Marth and Sheik.

Onstage, Marth is able to use the disjointed hitbox on all of his moves to play an anti-air game; it's rarely a good idea to be above Marth. His spacing tools also include a very strong dashdance*, terrific grab range, and a powerful 'tipper' hitbox on his forward smash (and other moves). He also gets a Fox/Falco-specific chainthrow on stages with fewer platforms (Final Destination). He has some trouble against Sheik (whose throw game is stronger against Marth than vice versa), as well as immaculate Jigglypuff/Peach play, although the Peach matchup has changed a bit in the past year.

*Dashdancing - starting a dash in one direction and cancelling its early frames into a dash in the other direction, and then repeating for a quick back-and-forth motion that allows you to dart in and out of the opponent's effective range and pressure them to make a move.

Sheik also has a strong throw game with reliable followups on lighter characters and a tech-chase* setup on Fox/Falco/C.Falcon. Sheik's ground game is notable for its long-reaching, easily-chained normals; she has something that leads into a forward air near/at death percent against all characters. Down smash provides a strong 'get off me' move to round out her ground control. She struggles against Jigglypuff (who can zone her with aerials and combo into Rest at low percent) and Ice Climbers (who break up her grab game and hit back with their own).

*Tech-chasing - if Sheik can react to or read the direction of the tech (okizeme) after she lands a downthrow or other move causing a knockdown, she can chase the opponent down and then regrab and throw for damage plus another knockdown, etc.

You're going to be seeing a lot of stage counter-picking. Obviously some stages have less hazards than others, but there's other things to consider. Some stages are actually larger than they appear since you also have to take into account how high the ceilings are for each stage. Jungle Japes, for instance, has a deceptively high ceiling.

There are 6 legal stages:
  • Yoshi's Story - a very small three-platform stage; traditionally a strong stage for Falco due to the small side blast zones and platform layout allowing for strong combos and low-percent KO's, but some twists of the platform layout allow for Peach and Marth to control space very well on this stage as well.
  • Fountain of Dreams - a medium-large three-platform stage. The two side platforms change heights and occasionally disappear entirely, which can throw off Falco and C. Falcon in particular. Strong stage for Sheik/Peach/Jigglypuff.
  • Dreamland 64 - a very large three platform-stage. Favored by Peach and Jigglypuff for the extra survivability that its high ceiling and large blast zones afford those characters. Captain Falcon players like the onstage layout of the platforms.
  • Battlefield - a medium three-platform stage. Generally recognized as the most truly neutral stage in the game, but a strong stage for Captain Falcon in nearly all his matchups.
  • Final Destination - a medium stage with no additional platforms, allowing for the most 'set' of combos. Fox and Falco like this stage against characters who cannot chaingrab them; Peach and Marth like this stage because they can chaingrab Fox and Falco. Generally also a strong stage for C. Falcon.
  • Pokémon Stadium (counterpick only) - two-platform stage (default) with transformations; the platform layout and medium blast zones make this a strong pick for Marth and C. Falcon, while the large main stage plus very low ceiling makes it a favorite for Fox players.

EDIT: Called YS Yoshi's Island. Oops.

Xpliskin

I'll build a statue for whoever eliminates Chris G from UMVC 3, he will become a hero.

The tournament will become more fun to watch then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom