• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 IOT2I - The GODS have fallen - Final day July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Even though their was definitely some cross over, I would have never USF4 with this time slot would get close to this amount. I would love to know exactly how many individual viewers their actually was but regardless the number was incredibly impressive.

If I were to guess though I do think it was definitely over 250k. I really don't think 5,000+ non Japanese wandered into the Japanese stream.

Guys the only reason it got the most amount of views is cause of it's timeslot duh

kadotsu

Banned
actually, it would totally be possible. it's a tournament, so all it needs are competitors. there's a difference. all competitors are spectators, but not all spectators are competitors.

Here's what would happen if you didn't allow spectators:

-Fewer people would attend than last year but not enough to make it small
-You would get double the competitors
-You would get the shittiest matches you have ever seen in pools
-Pools now take forever

Why wouldn't Evo be possible without spectators? Evo has been around for a very long time.

You think an event of this size is going to work without spectators? You know, the people who pay for passes to get in and not only play but watch too? Or that sponsors are going to be throwing around money if nobody tunes in on stream?

Saying that EVO doesn't need spectators would be a fair statement if this was 2002.

lol

Evo wouldn't be possible without spectators, what are you talking about.

lolwhat? Ever heard of the B series? if not then you have no idea what you are talking about

You think an event of this size is going to work without spectators? You know, the people who pay for passes to get in and not only play but watch too? Or that sponsors are going to be throwing around money if nobody tunes in on stream?

Saying that EVO doesn't need spectators would be a fair statement if this was 2002.

thats not what you said. You said evo wouldn't be possible. Of course evo would be smaller but evo would still exist regardless.

Why wouldn't Evo be possible without spectators? Evo has been around for a very long time. All of this was built up before streaming and even during the "dark ages" of fighting games.
EVO would certainly be possible without streaming but it obviously wouldn't be the EVO of today (production value, prize money, etc).

Whether or not that's for better or worse I suppose is up to you.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Lol no, that's not "all you were saying". You were going off about how GB secretly had all the momentum and putting Momo "right where he wanted him", how you are "certain" GB would've taken both, and a bunch of utter nonsense.

Even after your backpedaling you still can't argue with any certainty that the pause affected one player more than the other. That's all your personal opinion coloring the situation.

That's my personal opinion. I'm entitled to it. Get over it. I'm not back pedaling from anything.

LiK

-Pools now take forever

Also less sponsorships. Companies want a lot of eyes.

ironmang

Evo is first and foremost a tournament, not a convention, gathering, or expo.

It has not been and should not be a spectator event; it doesn't need 4 days.

Having it be a spectator event can only help out the community by bringing in potential new players. I'd think that's especially important for niche games that have trouble reaching even the common SF4/Smash/UMVC3 player.

tbh madcatz sticks are okay. The best are qanba and hori.

I heard from people who tested that the mcz stick have the highest input lag by a decent margin.
http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html

Not getting too much confidence in hori from that link. Seems like both PS4 sticks by them are about dead last.

Totakeke

Well Momochi's Ken beat Sako's Elena the last two Topanga leagues, actually cost Sako the Topanga World tournament.... I'm sure Gamerbee knows that.

You can also say Gamerbee's Elena knocked Daigo Evil Ryu out of Evo. Sure what you said could be a possibility, but it definitely seemed like using Elena would be something in the cards. Would love to hear his thoughts.

wow that's half the marvel bonus pot

ic4dYCJ.gif

OceanBlue

Spectator passes are a relatively new thing to Evo actually. They were introduced in 2012.

Sure, the scale wouldn't be the same without sponsors and spectators, but to say that Evo depends on spectators to survive is obviously wrong and to say that it's more about the spectators than the players is very debatable.

iori9999

Banned
http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html is the guide i used for input lag.

the kuro are fine for me, if they bother me i'll swap it out

Madcatz is fine overall. Its just not optimal. But their sticks are pricey at the moment. PS4 sticks go for about 200. I got my hori 4 for like 130?

They are mediocre.. Switch for the sanwa buttons.. I hear the Kuro buttons break in for some but most people I know had to switch em out.. You can buy a set of 8 for very cheap on Amazon..

Nanashrew

Banned

Tournaments always draw in spectators and that is also how the sport grows because people get inspired and want to join. Viewership and streaming has become an important part to growth with helping to get a game or community out there and more visible to more people. EVO, APEX, CEO are growing, FGC, Smash, and many competitive games and communities are growing. 4 days is fine, it's just one extra day and could help to keep the schedule from getting too crazy when more people and games keep showing up at EVO so they don't all have to be rushed through.

It's also hard to imagine a tournament without spectators.

Razer ‏@Razer 5m
What a final. Thanks for helping out in that difficult situation @madcatz. Congrats to @momochi212 for taking the victory #EVO2015
https://twitter.com/Razer/status/623006532876132352

People are going to give them shit for this but honestly, they kinda had to delete that first tweet considering the anti-semitic shit getting at-replied to it. This is a decent way to handle it: Acknowledge the fuck up, thank the competition, congratulate the guy using your product.

KingBroly

Banned

Most Conventions started out as Tournaments. EVO is at a point now where they're getting too big to be 3 days, and already have several vendors and demos setup around various halls.

Sayad

It shouldn't be 4 days, for sure. 3 is good enough.

That being said, spectators are pretty important. Spectators bring sponsors, and sponsors brings higher level of play. EVO wouldn't be where it is right now without being streamed.

TheRetroKid

Neo Member

-Pools now take forever

so you're for spectators? Or against? I don't understand. You're saying you'd get twice the competitors. Why? Because since there's no spectators, that void would automatically be filled with...more competitors? And these competitors that magically appear in replacement of the spectators will all suck? Wouldn't more pot-monsters be a good thing? And as for pools, well what can I say, not every tournament is going to be like SEAM or Capcom Cup.

This copy pasta

Neo's things have been stolen, no one knew who it was. Neo sat there, heartbroken, hoping that someone will catch the perpatrator. All of a sudden, someone grabbed the mic away from the officials. The shadowy figure yelled "IT WAS ME NEO, IT WAS ME ALL ALONG DAWG" FChamp revealed himself to all the shocked spectators and called Phoenix assist to fly him away from the venue. The FGC had been changed forever.

fedexpeon

Banned
Sucks if Neo's stuff really got stolen, but tbh I wouldn't completely trust that it's not some kind of scam.

Was there no safe/guest box nearby at all?
I mean even the crappy Comfort Inn I stayed in has a safe for guest.

And honestly...Who puts their car key in their bag with 6k laying around unattended?
Go lock the bag in the car, and put your key inside your pocket like everyone else.
But geez...6k, just laying there.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That's basically the best they can do, really. No way around this PR shitstorm besides just weathering through it.
That's not enough dammit. I should be compensated somehow for having my time wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom