• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ōkami

Smash finals are scheduled to start soon, as EVO tradition that's unlikely to happen, anyway how much do you guys think is left for it to start?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
that reverse timeout was quite a fitting finish to that.

Revven

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/622474629198655488

Mr. Wizard is tweeting out saying Smash 4 customs are hype and a lot of players on Twitter are getting pretty frustrated by it (all of which have already been eliminated, mind you).

Not sure I understand such a strong anti-custom stance anymore; this tournament hasn't had a single super jank win or out-of-nowhere upset due to customs, as far as I've seen. Nothing that overpowered. I can understand the difficulties for a TO, or why it may be more difficult for a player, but I think this tournament has shown that they definitely have potential. I'd be interested in seeing them used again.

The people complaining are against them because some of them are incredibly gimmicky and can be abused where otherwise, the results of a match would be different. Take ESAM, for example. His Pikachu play, for the most part, is the same with or without customs but what changes is he gets a 40-50% KO move (which he can easily setup for with Thunder Wave, as we saw multiple times against top players). The players don't like dealing with that and so since something like that isn't part of the default game, they'd rather play under default moves.

Notice how even a majority of top 32 use default specials, as well. This is because they primarily play under default moves and it's what they're familiar with. It's a completely different meta with customs on.

Just look at Sonic on-stream right now with his two custom moves, he wouldn't be able to camp/runaway as effectively without them. Does Sonic play runaway with his default moves? Yes, but it's not entirely as effective as the custom moves Manny used. Again, it's gimmicky stuff that players don't want to deal with because it's not adding any more skill to the game -- it's, to a degree, taking away skill by making things easier to do with more powerful options.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom