• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/622474629198655488

Mr. Wizard is tweeting out saying Smash 4 customs are hype and a lot of players on Twitter are getting pretty frustrated by it (all of which have already been eliminated, mind you).

Not sure I understand such a strong anti-custom stance anymore; this tournament hasn't had a single super jank win or out-of-nowhere upset due to customs, as far as I've seen. Nothing that overpowered. I can understand the difficulties for a TO, or why it may be more difficult for a player, but I think this tournament has shown that they definitely have potential. I'd be interested in seeing them used again.

Most everyone that has commented on that tweet either aren't there or lost at EVO and are salty. Let the customs live. Sheesh.

V-Faction

Smash 4 needs to have the timer decreased because it's pretty much the next xTekken with all these time outs. Honestly this isn't hype to watch.

Killer instinct has some hype as hell Cinder combos.

Marvel is Doom and Vergil featuring [whoever they're irrelevant].

Still at it, huh.

Smash 4 needs to have the timer decreased because it's pretty much the next xTekken with all these time outs. Honestly this isn't hype to watch.

Killer instinct has some hype as hell Cinder combos.

Marvel is Doom and Vergil featuring [whoever they're irrelevant].

It's really only a few characters who go for timer outs. Also, I feel like it'd give too much of an edge to those characters if you did that

ScribbleD

I wish NRS fighters had better sound effects and music. It's really superficial, but the sounds are so flaccid that it actually dulls the viewing experience a bit.

Tripon

The people complaining are against them because some of them are incredibly gimmicky and can be abused where otherwise, the results of a match would be different. Take ESAM, for example. His Pikachu play, for the most part, is the same with or without customs but what changes is he gets a 40-50% KO move (which he can easily setup for with Thunder Wave, as we saw multiple times against top players). The players don't like dealing with that and so since something like that isn't part of the default game, they'd rather play under default moves.

Notice how even a majority of top 32 use default specials, as well. This is because they primarily play under default moves and it's what they're familiar with. It's a completely different meta with customs on.

Just look at Sonic on-stream right now with his two custom moves, he wouldn't be able to camp/runaway as effectively without them. Does Sonic play runaway with his default moves? Yes, but it's not entirely as effective as the custom moves Static used. Again, it's gimmicky stuff that players don't want to deal with because it's not adding any more skill to the game -- it's, to a degree, taking away skill by making things easier to do with more powerful options.

At least, that's my understanding of it.
Except Static is just as campy with default Sonic. The guy always will go for time out because that is his nauture and that is how he wants to win. Captain Awesum is the same way. Players like these don't just camp and time out to win a game. They practice for hours each session and go in with the mindset of how they will win is to camp and time out. They want to do it, and changing the ruleset from customs to default won't change that. They will still try to timeout opponents to win the game.

Revven

Any lower and matches won't finish at all and timeouts will be way more common than they are now.

Except Static is just as campy with default Sonic. The guy always will go for time out because that is his nauture and that is how he wants to win. Captain Awesum is the same way. Players like these don't just camp and time out to win a game. They practice for hours each session and go in with the mindset of how they will win is to camp and time out. They want to do it, and changing the ruleset from customs to default won't change that. They will still try to timeout opponents to win the game.

I said he still does it without customs... it's just not nearly as annoying/ridiculous to overcome.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Prime jaime lee in a cammy cosplay

richboy.jpg

I seriously want to see her on stream just once, not against anyone just to see if she's not talking the talk in regards to actually playing it.

NotLiquid

Rain is out.

FOW trying to style with the PK Thunder edge guard wasn't worth it. For a split second he was close to losing that.

Abadango is the only Japanese player left then huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom