• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruh

giphy.gif

I think even if people took showers, it would make no difference. When temperatures are that hot and you stick so many people in a confined space for 8+ hours, people are going to smell no matter what. Add to that people are going to be going to the bathroom and eating all day. I can only imagine.

Yeah, I don't think it would have mattered. Large crowds hanging around all day + heat = inevitable.

lol Apologyman turning ruthless in his upcoming in the fgc.

T.O.P

Banned
Catching up with Pokken and KI's top 8 from yesterday

Pokken looks insanely fun to play, gotta start hoping for a NX port i guess

Insanely hyped for KI anyway, hope it was as fun to watch as last year's

Evo is too big for it's own good now and the Smash 4 community has a right to be upset given what we know because it sounds like they were treated as a joke despite having to second most entrants. I even had people complaining on my twitter timeline.

ASW games get outdated too fast for my liking.

A Nintendo themed EVO event doesn't sound so bad now does it?

Line_HTX

If Smashers are really insistent on demanding that matches outside of Top 32 or whatever be 3/5 are pretty unreasonable. It just makes them look so immature with their complaints that drown out their actual legitimate complaints.

Neoxon

Pokkén looks insanely fun to play, gotta start hoping for a NX port i guess
Agreed. It'd be a shame if the game died with the Wii U. And while granted, we are getting more characters (Darkrai was confirmed while Empoleon & Scizor were leaked), I fear that it may not be enough to keep the game alive.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maybe you should keep your delicate nose at home. Even if every single person showered and put on deodorant before they left it still isn't guaranteed to smell ideal. Especially with some players leaving their hotel at 6-7am and staying until after midnight. someone could build up a sweat during the day for a variety of reasons like going into the heat, running for their matches, playing intense matches all day, or even just from genetics. And some buildings have poor ventilation and are over capacity.

All of these sound like excellent reasons as to why people should carry deodorant sticks with them as they play. :lol

People should just make an effort on staying fresh. That's all.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Man, it sounds like Smash 4 was horrendously ran again this year. Even worse than last year.

Seems like it's half legit complaints, half whining from a scene used to getting its way for everything and flipping out when they have to share the stage with other communities.

They definitely got shafted on scheduling, though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
See what should and has happened in an alternate reality is that the EVO staff bought APEX and basically uses it for their own Nintendo version of EVO. For actual growth to happen without it being a clusterfuck like it is now you have to do something. Remember that next year Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and KOF is being added into the mix. No way in hell it's going to be smooth with the way things are now.

kirblar

I think even if people took showers, it would make no difference. When temperatures are that hot and you stick so many people in a confined space for 8+ hours, people are going to smell no matter what. Add to that people are going to be going to the bathroom and eating all day. I can only imagine.
Yup. Boys sweat everywhere. Deodorant does jack to booty, back, head, and all the other kinds of sweat.

Nightii

Banned
Seems like it's half legit complaints, half whining from a scene used to getting its way for everything and flipping out when they have to share the stage with other communities.

If only they would just knock it off with the Bo5 shit, really.

Everything else is pretty much legitimate complaints, just drop that Bo5 whining.

KingBroly

Banned

When they use half the setups they were supposed to, prolonging the Tournament, I'd say that's pretty legitimate. Not to mention them only having a small number of pools overall. Plus they had to re-do the brackets before the Tournament.

It really feels like EVO doesn't want Smash 4, despite being the #2 most entered two years in a row.

When they use half the setups they were supposed to, prolonging the Tournament, I'd say that's pretty legitimate. Not to mention them only having a small number of pools overall. Plus they had to re-do the brackets before the Tournament.

It really feels like EVO doesn't want Smash 4, despite being the #2 most entered two years in a row.

Next year, all we need is SFV and Kof14.

Leave the Pokemon in Japan.

RocBase

See what should and has happened in an alternate reality is that the EVO staff bought APEX and basically uses it for their own Nintendo version of EVO. For actual growth to happen without it being a clusterfuck like it is now you have to do something. Remember that next year Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and KOF is being added into the mix. No way in hell it's going to be smooth with the way things are now.

agreed, there is so much player growth to mention nothing of new games that it's only going to get much more worse. only so much can eventually be squeezed into 3 days

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210277932]SFV gets $65,422 for first place, over 20k for 2nd, about 1k for showing up and losing in top 8.

Not bad.[/QUOTE]
The prize structure only paying out to top 8 in a 5K person event is ridiculously antiquated.

ironmang

All of these sound like excellent reasons as to why people should carry deodorant sticks with them as they play. :lol

People should just make an effort on staying fresh. That's all.

Maybe you should try this.

smelly-diapers.jpg

Much higher chance of making your day bearable than expecting people to not sweat after being in a Vegas convention center with 12k other people for 8-16 hours.

Kumubou

agreed, there is so much player growth to mention nothing of new games that it's only going to get much more worse. only so much can eventually be squeezed into 3 days
I think anyone involved with running the event (paid or volunteer) would want to jump off a bridge if Evo ran longer. I've toast after spending 12+ hours running stuff for two days. D:

Maybe you should try this.

Much higher chance of making your day bearable than expecting people to not sweat after being in a Vegas convention center with 12k other people for 8-16 hours.
You're not entirely wrong... but there are plenty of people who need to wash their ass that don't.

The prize structure only paying out to top 8 in a 5K person event is ridiculously antiquated.

I think most (95%) of participants know they have no chance at winning this. EVO is FG convention/tournament now. It's no longer a tournament. It's an event where like minded people just hang out and play some games. Buy few items, take pics with their favorite players and devs. So the 8 man payout is fine. Only the best of the best get paid. I think most people are fine with it.

I-hate-u

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210277932]SFV gets $65,422 for first place, over 20k for 2nd, about 1k for showing up and losing in top 8.

Not bad.[/QUOTE]
So infiltration would have made close to 100k by the end of EVO.

Deimo5

I think most (95%) of participants know they have no chance at winning this. EVO is FG convention/tournament now. It's no longer a tournament. It's an event where like minded people just hang out and play some games. Buy few items, take pics with their favorite players and devs. So the 8 man payout is fine. Only the best of the best get paid. I think most people are fine with it.

The remaining 5% is still like 250 people though.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Evo is too big for it's own good now and the Smash 4 community has a right to be upset given what we know because it sounds like they were treated as a joke despite having to second most entrants. I even had people complaining on my twitter timeline.

ASW games get outdated too fast for my liking.

Guilty Gear has played largely the same for nearly 20 years. If you can play Ky/Sol etc in XX, you got 90% of what you need for revelator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom