• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

Uhh what? Normally there is no broadcast commentary being piped to the crowd at sporting events, what the hell are you talking about?

What I mean by that is that yes, usually commentary isn't piped to the crowd, but for different reasons. It can be balanced, it's just a decision to take.

People saying they mute the crowd but maybe they aren't loud enough? i mean it's a huge hall.

Which means that they didn't think about this and acoustics at all in the first place.

Damn, Ryan sounds pretty nervous. He's usually such a good commentator, I hope he loosens up since he's really talented.
He's warming up now. But yeah, i've never met anyone who understands the technical aspects of Guilty Gear more than Ryan. It's so awesome to see him commentating, he has been passionate about GG for so many years.

That's the thing. This is their first time doing it. Remember that the FGC is still poverty status. You can't compare those companies with millions of dollars to a group of normal guys trying to run EVO.

This is the reason Im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. As disappointing the crowd sound issues are, this is their First go around doing EVO on this scale. Hopefully next year and going forward, they're able to work it out

Moodmon

Neo Member
For those using the crowd having commentary pumped to them as a reason for lack of crowd noise, few points. One, the are turning volume up and down during presentations and introductions. Two, I went to a League of Legends event at Wembley Arena. Same setup. No booths, both players and commentators open air with headphones. We had commentary pumped to crowd, no feedback. Here are the highlights so you can listen to what is was like on stream.

https://youtu.be/VJ40c8Ew5rA

It isn't the setup, the audio mix is just terrible. If something two years ago can manage, so can this.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
People saying they mute the crowd but maybe they aren't loud enough? i mean it's a huge hall.

There are times where you start to hear the crowd a bit and then they immediately vanish to nothingness. People aren't cheering and then going completely silent in a span of 2 seconds.

This is not any kind of explanation or excuse. A decent sound mixer can make that work easily, and even if they decided it still wasn't good enough during matches, they can keep it down during match commentary and then turn the crowd audio up when they cut to on-stage presenters hyping the crowd or presenting awards. The utter silence during those shots is mortifying.

Letting the crowd hear the commentary is great, but that doesn't mean they aren't dropping the ball on production elements in addition to that. There's no excuse for the silence during the on-stage shots.

That would require a lot of rehearsal time which I doubt they had considering a lot of the people running this were probably running tech at the other venue less than 10 hours before the arena show started.

jett

D-Member
THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR

uh huh

I hope they get the audio fixed in time for ESPORTS, otherwise it will be a bad showing for the FGC in the spotlight.

If piping the commentators to the arena is the reason, then it will be screwed as well since the people watching on ESPN would hear four commentators at once with the arena sound pumped up. :p

But this is shit. Listen to the crowd noise come and go. This is absolutely awful.

They need to stop piping commentary into the arena before going on *national television* for the first time. The potential million person viewership, many being first timers, should take priority.

Damn after all these years Marlinpie is still bae.

emb

Is it just me, or do the breaks seem more excessive than usual?

Don't remember them stopping for so long mid-game in past years, but maybe I just didn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom