• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm failing to understand the issue. He doesn't cover the vids with a ton of ads, he just puts highlight reels up of things people want to see. No different than a thousand other gaming channels.

He also lifts hours of uninterrupted tournament footage from other monetized sources.

I've had him pop up in my stream in the past asking where he could find HD archives. Told him to fuck off. I make less than minimum wage streaming tournaments when it's often more intensive work than my "real" job. Youtube ad revenue isn't particularly lucrative for me, but it does help offset the costs a little more, and having people ready to snipe and upload your footage before you get home to do it yourself is always irritating.

He also lifts hours of uninterrupted tournament footage from other monetized sources.

I've had him pop up in my stream in the past asking where he could find HD archives. Told him to fuck off. I make less than minimum wage streaming tournaments when it's often more intensive work than my "real" job. Youtube ad revenue isn't particularly lucrative for me, but it does help offset the costs a little more, and having people ready to snipe and upload your footage before you get home to do it yourself is always irritating.

Wasn't only 1080p archives subscriber only for EVO 2015? Regardless that link is sketchy. I haven't seen much of that on his channel, hence my comment.

I understand your frustration though, but I still maintain that highlight reels are totally different ballgame than entire top 8s. Even if his channel does get nuked, you should look at what he does and consider it something to do with your footage. So much gold is missed because people can't be arsed to watch hours upon hours of matches.

It's pretty much why I have no interest in SFV at EVO. There is too much to watch, which means I can't watch anything else if I wanted to follow it.

I'll watch the GF on youtube the next day thats and pretty much it.

Furthermore im surprised nobody, not even Capcom, have copied his ideas with graphic design in the thumbnails of videos. With so much on content on YouTube, you need to catch peoples eyeballs. Sometimes a video title is not enough. There has been many time when a Xuses video has popped up in on my feed and I've watched it even though I was looking at something totally different.

The only person who seems to do anything similar is Desk, who really doesn't post videos much anymore.

so i heard Smash 4 is basically getting treated as a side event?

Zer0 said:
Smash 4 at EVO:
No projectors to watch matches
Smallest section in the venue
Bad time slot
Bad seeding / 2 out of 3s
Biggest side event

this is the second biggest tournament at EVO.
people say some setups don't even have all of the legal stages unlocked..

RocBase

so i heard Smash 4 is basically getting treated as a side event?

this is the second biggest tournament at EVO.
people say some setups don't even have all of the legal stages unlocked..

a user here whose at evo debunked some of this:

It's not the smallest section, that belongs to Xrd and Tekken. They are in the end of the hall ihabut have it all to themselves. It's just that hey have a ton of people.

They have their own stream, it is true that they aren't on the 3 projectors.

Every game but Marvel is 2/3.

Smash 4 is not being treated badly.

stages not being unlocked does sound bad but seems more like a mishap than some deliberate attempt to treat smash as second rate.

a user here whose at evo debunked some of this:

stages not being unlocked does sound bad but seems more like a mishap than some deliberate attempt to treat smash as second rate.

but they got saturday afternoon finals despite being the 2nd most popular tournament and some had to play from 8am friday to midnight and start again early saturday.
Mew2king dropped out of Smash4 because of the insane schedule.

BadWolf

but they got saturday afternoon finals despite being the 2nd most popular tournament and some had to play from 8am friday to midnight and start again early saturday.

So you want Melee replaced with Smash4 on Sunday?

RocBase

those issues aren't without merit but i guess what im getting at is, problems aren't exclusive to smash...it's very easy to start making conclusions based on what goes wrong, but make no mistake that shit has happened in the past years to main games across the board. i just think it's unnecessary to come out with these issues under this presumptuous attitude about evo (especially considering the insane growth year over year which needs to be managed within the same 3 day timeframe) instead of just calling out the problem for what it is.

and about the finals, honestly have no real say in this other than there is no way we're having 2 smash games on sunday finals

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So Catherine stream seems like a negatory?

Didn't get a lot of players or viewers last year, didn't it? Only like 20 players(?) and about 100 viewers. Unless Atlus is there to fund the stream again, seems pointless to set-up when people will probably be focusing on other games?

Note: I'd love for them to stream it, but I can understand why if they don't.

cj_iwakura

Didn't get a lot of players or viewers last year, didn't it? Only like 20 players(?) and about 100 viewers. Unless Atlus is there to fund the stream again, seems pointless to set-up when people will probably be focusing on other games?

Note: I'd love for them to stream it, but I can understand why if they don't.

I recall it being more popular than that... but honestly a lot of the reason the hype blew up was because of that Coopa commentary. We've never had it as good since.

The gameplay has gotten even better, we're all learning new tricks, but sadly we'll never see a lot of it on stream. The things Dacid pulled against me at CEO... I shudder to think.

The gap is closing, though, and one day he will fall. He swept me at CEOTaku, but it was 4-1 at CEO, and I decimated his protege.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think it peaked at like 400 or so max last year. Not bad for a niche game, but not good for a "Evo stream."

I really wish Atlus would do a PC port of Catherine. I barely have my PS3 plugged in anymore, and someone would (hopefully) be able to online mode-mod it. Alas, Atlus are dum.

cj_iwakura

I think it peaked at like 400 or so max last year. Not bad for a niche game, but not good for a "Evo stream."

I really wish Atlus would do a PC port of Catherine. I barely have my PS3 plugged in anymore, and someone would (hopefully) be able to online mode-mod it. Alas, Atlus are dum.

It's about as likely as Shin Megami Tensei Go.

And to compare, at its prime, the NorCal streams were hitting 2k.

Bluenoser

I hope Capcom Fighters gets their shit together and gives us a quality stream today. That lag yesterday.... Jesus it was bad. I switched over to the main stream to watch SFV until they changed over to Smash, then I was stuck with Capcom and it's shit tier video.

toohectic

Thanks should have read it properly. Dogura still in? looks like he got out of pools or have they played some of the knockout?

Top 32 at 4am in the uk such a shame, will only get to see pools this year as top 8 will probably be too late as well.

According to the bracket, he's still in SFV, but eliminated during semis in GGXrd.

Shito

Catching up on what I've missed tonight after going to bed: Zhi already has the best quote from this EVO!

John Choi is lit up like the hottest kimchi served in Busan by a grandma who is like "you eat spicy? I don't even care!".

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If Chris G doesn't win Marvel this year his legacy is done. He will be a false god. Justin and Champ, the real Gods have at least a belt on their hands. KBR has done enough to be considered one in my opinion. So basically it's those three and Chris G on the doorsteps to where their platform is. He just needs one EVO win to ascend.

Hyun Sai

KoFXIII results :
1. Huevo (EX Iori, Mr. Karate, Kim)
2. Ford|Violent Kain (Kyo, Mr. Karate, EX Iori)
3. ST|Khannibalito (Mr. Karate, Vice, EX Iori)

I really hope there won't be any overpowered DLC characters in KoFXIV and that we will see a more diverse cast at high level play in the end.

Thumbs Up to Khannibal for sticking to Vice ^^.

IronLich

Tekken semis were pretty kick ass last night. Wish that Alisa player could have survived, but seeing Speedkicks and Poongko fight each other in Tekken was especially a treat. Hope for the runback.

Shouta

Gonna be cheering for Geesemaster in Tekken since he's from my region.

Got a bunch of hours until I play again but I need to warm up. I night hold off on hotel switching until this evening in that case....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom