• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that, been following the competitive scene for over a year now. This is just my opinion though, I just think Mike Ross and Seth Killian are the perfect combo for an EVO that's trying to become "E-sports".

Mike Ross has been positioned as the face/spokesman of the FGC for a while. If he doesn't choke it up on live TV this might be a big career move for him.

Half of the set-ups don't have every stage unlocked (specifically Smashville).

This kind of shit happening is exactly why I argue for Smash games to have every character & stage unlocked from the start.

Lol nah. Unlocking is fun and i'm sure 99% of the smash buyers agree with that. Only tournament players think otherwise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anywhere I can see a recap of the big matches/upsets of day 1? Particularly SFV, but I'm interested in every other game too.

Damn this thread is small when I'm not spamming it all day long lol

Gurrry

James said in the last ultrachentv (not the evo pre-show) that he was thinking about ducking any possibility to be on ESPN due not wanting mainstream people to see him cry.

Not sure if that's been finally the case or ESPN decided Miker Ross will fit better. Which I'm not quite sure. I honestly thinks Mike pairs the best with Zhi.

To be honest, I thought the ESPN duo was going to be Seth+David.

Im just happy that theyre letting guys from the community do commentary on ESPN. Thats such a big deal. Normally theyd hire 2 doofuses that dont know shit about the game to commentate.

"Woah, Tom! He punched him! HE PUNCHED HIM AGAIN, BUT WITH FIRE!"

"Thats right bill! The card im holding says thats a shor-oo-kin!"

jett

D-Member
Mike Ross has been positioned as the face/spokesman of the FGC for a while. If he doesn't choke it up on live TV this might be a big career move for him.

Why would he? He has years of experience doing live shows with Capcom Pro Talk. Choosing MEIK for the finals is a great decision.

Im just happy that theyre letting guys from the community do commentary on ESPN. Thats such a big deal. Normally theyd hire 2 doofuses that dont know shit about the game to commentate.

"Woah, Tom! He punched him! HE PUNCHED HIM AGAIN, BUT WITH FIRE!"

"Thats right bill! The card im holding says thats a shor-oo-kin!"

AFAIK ESPN2 will literally be re-streaming twitch, lol...So it's not like they had any choice.

I don't play in smash tourneys and I never found unlocking stuff fun.

Well extend that to GAF and the more hardcore crowd as well but smash sells so many copies to casuals and they love unlocking because most of them don't even know which character is in it. I loved unlocking new characters in melee and the shock when mewtwo showed up. I organized a couple of tournament with kids and they loved sharing what new fighters they just got.

I know that, been following the competitive scene for over a year now. This is just my opinion though, I just think Mike Ross and Seth Killian are the perfect combo for an EVO that's trying to become "E-sports".

Mike Ross and Seth Killian <3
I hope I see that duo in the finals, but it will probably Chen and Killian. At least it wont be Zhi.

Neoxon

Lol nah. Unlocking is fun and i'm sure 99% of the smash buyers agree with that. Only tournament players think otherwise.
Well that's one of the ways that Smash is behind the times. Pretty much every other fighting game has more-or-less phased out unlockables for this reason. It's an archaic way of providing progress that not only holds back competitive play, but also hampers get-togethers early in the game's life. If you want to provide some kind of unlockable content, do it with costumes, with colors, with music, stuff that isn't vital to gameplay but is significant enough for casuals to give a shit. You don't do it with stuff like characters & stages. Capcom learned this lesson, Arc System Works learned this lesson, Bandai Namco learned this lesson (at least with the Tekken games), NetherRealm Studios learned this lesson (as of MKXL, but they at least kept it at one unlockable character for MKX). Now Nintendo (or more specifically, Sakurai or whoever is still working on Smash 4) needs to learn this lesson, hopefully with the NX port of Smash 4.

Neoxon

Seth is a great choice. Will do the community proud. Mike Ross is iffy. Basically a G rated imitation Yipes.
But Mike Ross is kinda more associated with Street Fighter than Yipes is (who is better known for Mahvel). From that standpoint, Seth Killian & Mike Ross are a perfect combo for a Top 8 that will be televised. If MvC4 ends up happening & that gets televised on its first EVO, then they better make damn sure that Yipes is one of the two commentators during Top 8.

Effect

What's going on with Smash Wii U? Heard it was disorganized as hell.

Yeah was reading that it was a mess.

Not every stage unlocked.
No screen for people watch while waiting for matches while those around them did.
They have the second largest number of entries but supposedly have the smallest area.
Their schedule was bad as well I think making some people have to drop other wise they'd miss other games.

Even if it's not as 100% as bad as that it still sounds like a big mess. Melee is having none of those issues it seems. On top of having less players then Smash 4 and still being on Sunday has made a lot of people it seems upset.

Neoxon

Yeah was reading that it was a mess.

Not every stage unlocked.
No screens for people watch while waiting for matches.
They have the second largest number of entries but supposedly have the smallest area.
Their schedule was bad as well I think making some people have to drop other wise they'd miss other games.

Even if it's not as 100% as bad as that it still sounds like a big mess. Melee is having none of those issues it seems. On top of having less players then Smash 4 and still being on Sunday has made a lot of people it seems upset.
I mean, to be fair, having 2 Smash games on Sunday may not sit well with the FGC as a whole, but they could at least fix the problems you mentioned & give Smash 4 a better time-slot on Saturday. I had to set my alarm to not miss Smash 4.

Effect

I mean, to be fair, having 2 Smash games on Sunday may not sit well with the FGC as a whole, but they could at least fix the problems you mentioned & give Smash 4 a better time-slot on Saturday. I had to set my alarm to not miss Smash 4.

I agree. I understand the reasoning for Melee being on Sunday. I don't agree with it, especially after this year where Smash 4 has been far more unpredictable and exciting. Everything else though shouldn't have happen at all. They knew the registration numbers before Evo even started. They were tweeting about it leading up to the event.

Had to stop watching early last night because I had plans this morning. Well they fell through so now I'm up and ready for all day EVO. I'm okay with this.

Well that's one of the ways that Smash is behind the times. Pretty much every other fighting game has more-or-less phased out unlockables for this reason..

how many fighting games sell 10 million +?
smash audience is a ton of casuals and kids, can't compare that to something like SF or GG.

I agree. I understand the reasoning for Melee being on Sunday. I don't agree with it, especially after this year where Smash 4 has been far more unpredictable and exciting. Everything else though shouldn't have happen at all. They knew the registration numbers before Evo even started. They were tweeting about it leading up to the event.

yeah like i have to ask? why is KI the last of the finals on saturday, like didn't it only get a little bit more player than T7?

Neoxon

how many fighting games sell 10 million +?
smash audience is a ton of casuals and kids, can't compare that to something like SF or GG.
Then give them unlockables in other regards that won't screw with gameplay. As I said earlier, unlockable characters hold back casual get-togethers, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom