• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

Baleoce

About this. Will I'll be able to watch the whole thing on Twitch the next day though videos?

Not sure tbh. Hopefully. Usually someone ends up dumping the whole of top 8 on youtube anyway. Just put in the keywords and refine by upload date.

please raise your hand if you're gonna dickride itabashi to his eventual victory at evo later

punk is gonna get exposed.

giphy.gif

I'll prolly get to only watch the very first match since I gotta get up early for work tomorrow, If itabashi gets a win over Punk I can sleep a happy man.

ironmang

lol@that 4 hour block for smash 4 top 8. There's really nothing that can be done about that game to make that a little more reasonable? I feel bad for the marvel players needing to be there in like an hour.

KingBroly

Banned
lol@that 4 hour block for smash 4 top 8. There's really nothing that can be done about that game to make that a little more reasonable? I feel bad for the marvel players needing to be there in like an hour.

Marvel 3 last year was like...90 minutes or something.

Hazzuh

It won't take 4 hours, they just definitely, definitely don't want it to run over in to SFV. It'll probably be 2 and a half hours or something.

ironmang

It won't take 4 hours, they just definitely, definitely don't want it to run over in to SFV. It'll probably be 2 and a half hours or something.

Ya that's true. How long did Smash 4 take last year?

It's cool for esports to get the exposure but damn, that makes it awkward when you have to plan the whole day around it.

Compbros

If Honeybee would've won or even reset the bracket that would've been a ridiculous top 8 for Injustice. It ends on a major sour note though because of Aquaman. Still, top 8 was hugely diverse, it was just stifling near the end.

Seiniyta

Despite all the upsets happening in smash 4 the top 8 looks surprisingly normal. Since most major smash 4 tournaments are now Bo5 from Top 16 at least onward and the top 8's don't take longer then 3 hours in a Bo5 format usually this probably will be done in 2-2.5 hours at maximum.

Smash 4 in a Bo3 until top 3 will go really fast as long as there's not a long wait between matches.

8 unique characters as well, should be a fun watch.

It is however hard for EVO to plan the alloted time right however. Smash 4 has such a wide variety of characters that heavily influence the length of matches. If more Sonics and Roselina's, Olimars, Villagers had gotten through the top 8 would take a lot longer.

The venue is probably gonna be empty for most of Marvel top 8, kinda sucks.

Definitely. We didn't get to the venue last year until like the final third of MKX finals. Buit, to be honest, we did have to come all the way from the Westgate.

It all being under one roof this year should lead to more butts in seats for the early game.

Always lame how I get stuck working doubles on Evo sundays. XD

Hopefully I can navigate YT uploads without spoilers so I can enjoy SFV top 8 when I get back tonight.

KingBroly

Banned
Despite all the upsets happening in smash 4 the top 8 looks surprisingly normal. Since most major smash 4 tournaments are now Bo5 from Top 16 at least onward and the top 8's don't take longer then 3 hours in a Bo5 format usually this probably will be done in 2-2.5 hours at maximum.

Smash 4 in a Bo3 until top 3 will go really fast as long as there's not a long wait between matches.

8 unique characters as well, should be a fun watch.

It is however hard for EVO to plan the alloted time right however. Smash 4 has such a wide variety of characters that heavily influence the length of matches. If more Sonics and Roselina's, Olimars, Villagers had gotten through the top 8 would take a lot longer.

Community Awards will likely be given out between Smash 4 and SFV

IronLich

So another EVO finals day approaches. Here are my uneducated guesses as to who is getting high honors this year.

UMVC3 - RyanLV

Honestly, I went back and forth between him and Chris G, but CEO painted a lovely picture in that regard. RyanLV seems to have the keepout makeup to resist Chris G's projectile setups. If anyone can cut Chris G down to size this year, it's him.

Blazblue - Fumi

This one is rather hard to call. Top 8 is filled with characters that are by themselves strong, but Fumi has been doing rather well overall through the majority of pools. Kudos to the variety in Top 8, but Nine is a character that once she gets an inch, she can take a mile, and Fumi is just the person to get the job done this year.

Tekken 7 - JDCR

Everyone had pegged Saint being the heavy favorite to take the crown this year, but JDCR has less of a hectic journey on his shoulders. His Heihachi play has been nothing short of phenomenal, and momentum is everything on Finals Day. I think his potential battle against Knee will be his greatest challenge.

Smash - ZeRo

Come on, like there's any doubt. There is no sign of MKLeo, and his greatest rival, Nairo, will have a tougher climb to the top. This EVO victory is practically gift wrapped for him. Side note, props to getting a Bayonetta player in Top 8 for a televised broadcast.

SF5 - Punk

Remember when I said momentum is everything? All eyes have been on Punk this year, and he has delivered and then some. Undoubtedly the best Karin player in the world, and on top of that, he's been having a banner year for what feels like forever. BU-BUT NUCKLEDU-no. Just no. Punk is in the same Winners' Bracket, and has demoralized Nuckle Du on more than one occasion. Du's not getting to GF as long as Punk is there. I think that Punk v Tokido is a safe bet for Grand Finals this year.

Neoxon

I really hope Salem takes it. As a fan of both him & Bayonetta, it'd be nice to finally see their greatness recognized.

MechaX

Alright, I'm up, drinking sake (to be honest, shit tastes like nothing, but lady friend remarked that it tasted like rubbing alcohol, so who knows), and got nothing major scheduled for work tomorrow (unlike the last two EVOs where I swear I had major trials).

My body is ready for these matches.

cj_iwakura

SFV top 8 is a good a lineup as you could hope for, made better having 8 different characters represented.

Even more true for BB. An Arakune mirror is the absolute worst.

I wonder if this is the last hurrah for BB at Evo. I don't know how it sold in Japan, but the boycott really hurt it in the US.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
SFV top 8 is a good a lineup as you could hope for, made better having 8 different characters represented.
Much better than last year. I hope I'll be able to watch it without getting spoiled tomorrow....
The character selection couldn't be better.

Fuck that 4h Smash block

Top Bottom