• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

Wow, was the FGC this cruel to Melee last year. Or the did they just manage to pack the house more on there own to still make it look good? I have no idea but I feel like last year the SF guys stuck around during Melee. But it looks like everybody bailed on the the Smash 4 guys this year.

EVO attendance is down 50% this year from 2016.

ScribbleD

There's just less people in the arena this year than last. That's all. No conspiracy theories necessary.

It doesn't actually feel that much more empty, not noticeably so anyway. People are a bit more spread out though and it's looking patchy. One or two sections are empty, plus the top most parts of each section are mostly blank. I only remember it being packed for SF5 last year, but I did dip out for most of Melee.

Good to hear! Smash 4 has levelled up last year, and the best players in general don't play overly defensive. I think this top 8 has been a great showing so far. :)

I stopped following the smash scene after EVO last year, although I have heard enough about Civil War and its looooooong list of upsets to seriously want to watch it.

Smeags

So our top 8 is:

Sonic
Rosalina & Luma
Diddy Kong
Fox
Cloud
Bayonetta
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus

Really cool to see the character diversity!

Sonic Squad go!

mas8705

But why? Is evo getting long in the tooth?

I'm guessing it was mainly due to the first year for SFV. Now that the first year has come and gone (and how SFV wasn't as engaging as SFIV as some might say), that the number was cut down.

Honestly though, I don't want to think that Melee players would be that salty because they didn't get the Sunday slot this year.

I'm guessing it was mainly due to the first year for SFV. Now that the first year has come and gone (and how SFV wasn't as engaging as SFIV as some might say), that the number was cut down.

Honestly though, I don't want to think that Melee players would be that salty because they didn't get the Sunday slot this year.

The price to enter also got jacked up quite a bit because of the venue

Top Bottom