• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Bru

What's a good way to quickly tell which one is the decoy?

It flashes when hit, leaves a faint trail and you'll also see the Monster player fizzle away into a cloak on activation.

It also helps to assume that whenever you are up close to a Wraith player the first thing they will do is hit the decoy button, it really evened the odds last night.

derExperte

Why oh why isn't this game cross platform.. i can't see the huge advantage of PC players here. its not like your are aiming on small head or something.

Anyone else feels this way?

There's a lot of verticality in play, with a mouse you can for example very quickly turn and precisely aim down when doing a huge jump or keep track of the monster to keep that double-damage-stream going. Or the shield/healing stuff. The game also rewards precision shots, some medics can 'tag' areas of the monster which then give it double damage. Sure, it's not Quake 3 and good gamepad players could beat bad kb/m'ers but the more everyone knows what's going on and the faster the action gets the bigger the disadvantage would be.

Daigoro

In the bottom left it shows you the 4 hunters and should show the associated buttons with them. Probably like the dpad or something?

And no,there is no cooldown in switching or anything. But if someone new joins the game they will take the character that was originally abandoned, not the one you left open by switching.

mkay thanks. ill check that out next time someone drops. yeah probably is dpad. but is there some cooldown on how long you can swap to a bot? because it seemed like it bumped me from the slot after several minutes.

guess ill find out at some point.

Klyka

Banned
mkay thanks. ill check that out next time someone drops. yeah probably is dpad. but is there some cooldown on how long you can swap to a bot? because it seemed like it bumped me from the slot after several minutes.

guess ill find out at some point.

There isn't. The only time it will kick you back to your old character is when a new player connects to the game and he gets assigned the bot you took over.

Example: At the start of the game you chose Trapper. For the game, this is your designated character. Now the Assault player disconnects and you swap to Assault. For the game you are still a designated Trapper who is just borrowing the Assault.
Now a new player connects and he gets assigned the Assault while you get back to Trapper. This is because for the game the Assault is the only open spot cause you are the original Trapper.

bounchfx

so after playing more, my two major gripes:
one, is that right now, players seem to 'chase' the monster, instead of predicting where he's going and looking at the map. It's really silly, because the monster can move much faster. So you wind up with matches of nothing but 20 minutes of running in circles

second, and the biggest issue IMO, is that the loading times for the game are as long as the gameplay itself. I was hoping this would change from the beta but for PC at least it doesn't seem to be the case. Even respawning, it says 2 minutes, but then you get in the dropship and its another 30 seconds before you even hit the ground. People complain about Destiny but in Evolve theres loadscreens for loadscreens for loadscreens for tutorials. :(

I really like the actual fights.

Klyka

Banned
one, is that right now, players seem to 'chase' the monster, instead of predicting where he's going and looking at the map. It's really silly, because the monster can move much faster. So you wind up with matches of nothing but 20 minutes of running in circles

second, and the biggest issue IMO, is that the loading times for the game are as long as the gameplay itself. I was hoping this would change from the beta but for PC at least it doesn't seem to be the case. Even respawning, it says 2 minutes, but then you get in the dropship and its another 30 seconds before you even hit the ground. People complain about Destiny but in Evolve theres loadscreens for loadscreens for loadscreens for tutorials. :(

Your first gripe gets much better when you communicate and as people learn the game more. Many people don't understand the difference between a chase and a hunt. Cutting the monster off become natural once you are told how to do it.
It also gets much better once you split up into two teams. Assault + Medic and Trapper + Support. Especially useful against the Wraith!

I agree with the loading screens and wait times. They can be very long. Remember that very often load screens get extended because someone is playing a chracter for the first time and has to sit through the introduction video too though!

Mathi

I didn't preorder the game and now I suddenly want it, one day after the preorder bonus is no longer available...

Do I get the 4th monster (behemoth?) if I buy the Monster Race Edition?

Daigoro

OK im ready to give this game a fresh try today! ive read some tips and got some things right in my head about what needs doing and how to do it.

definitely going to work at figuring this game out and have some fun with it.

There isn't. The only time it will kick you back to your old character is when a new player connects to the game and he gets assigned the bot you took over.

that explains everything. thanks, sorry for being dense!

deoee

For me I don't find the loading that long.
Usually it's loaded in ~30 seconds and you're in the dropship.

The whole lobbyprocess can take long tho.

Bru

Handy, thx.

No problem! It's information all players will find useful especially Trappers when the Monster is tagged with a range finding dart.

It's also worth noting that the Mobile Arena only has an up time and cool down of a minute but it feels a hell of a lot shorter or longer depending on your role ;-)

Klyka

Banned
any way to skip the cinematics? -novid option or something.

How to skip all the open/load Evolve intros but the one with the skip button.

Goto the Evolve folder in steam: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Evolve\Game

Put a 1 in the start of the names of files: Videos_stage1.pak Videos_stage2.pak

Happy hunting!

EDIT: I seem to have found all the in game videos in a match Put a 1 at the start of these

Videos_stage3-part0.pak Videos_stage3-part1.pak Videos_stage3-part2.pak Videos_stage3-part3.pak Videos_stage3-part4.pak Videos_stage3-part5.pak

EDIT2.0 - The first two files are for when the game initially opens, they second 6 files are in game tutorial/character vids.
yo

I agree with the loading screens and wait times. They can be very long. Remember that very often load screens get extended because someone is playing a chracter for the first time and has to sit through the introduction video too though!

I do wish the load times were a bit faster but they have improved so much compared to the earlier tests. The wait times were absolutely atrocious, making one wait upwards of 3 minutes in lobbies and menus. They've made huge strides in that area, thankfully.

How to skip all the open/load Evolve intros but the one with the skip button.

Goto the Evolve folder in steam: SteamSteamAppscommonEvolveGame

Put a 1 in the start of the names of files: Videos_stage1.pak Videos_stage2.pak

Happy hunting!

EDIT: I seem to have found all the in game videos in a match Put a 1 at the start of these

Videos_stage3-part0.pak Videos_stage3-part1.pak Videos_stage3-part2.pak Videos_stage3-part3.pak Videos_stage3-part4.pak Videos_stage3-part5.pak

EDIT2.0 - The first two files are for when the game initially opens, they second 6 files are in game tutorial/character vids.

I fiddled with this some last night and found that if you want to skip the intro video, only change Videos_stage1.pak. Videos_stage2.pak seems to be tied to the main menu videos so you'll have a tacky, empty menu and you save no boot time changing it.

Bizazedo

In the beta I had my role preference set with monster in last and never played it once, in the actual release I have my preferences set the same exact way and I swear it has made me play the monster more than hunters. This is killing my enjoyment of the game to the point where I just want to stop playing entirely. I'm not good as monster, I don't have fun playing it, and I'd literally rather sit in matchmaking for five extra minutes to skip it.

I was thinking about this and you're probably facing premades or pairs of grouped people. If you fight against a premade / premades, they CAN'T be the monster....so you have to be.

That being said, if everyone in the lobby is in a premade, someone still has to be the monster. I was forced to be a monster despite being in a group of 2.

I still wiped them out :). I moved one way with the Goliath and then sneaked in the opposite direction, using smell to keep an eye on them. They ran right by, it was the most fun I've had not engaging in combat.

derExperte

First, after I started using Bucket's UAV to find and tag the monster my team hasn't lost one single match and most were over rather quickly.

Second, if the gameplay time isn't significantly longer than the waiting one side is much better than the other. Actual load times are very short in my experience, I'm using an SSD but other players are in the game almost as fast, we're talking a few seconds. And don't confuse load times with wait times due to game design/balance, the dropship part for example is a conscious choice, if it weren't there, the timer would just be higher.

deoee

I was thinking about this and you're probably facing premades or pairs of grouped people. If you fight against a premade / premades, they CAN'T be the monster....so you have to be.

That being said, if everyone in the lobby is in a premade, someone still has to be the monster. I was forced to be a monster despite being in a group of 2.

I still wiped them out :). I moved one way with the Goliath and then sneaked in the opposite direction, using smell to keep an eye on them. They ran right by, it was the most fun I've had not engaging in combat.

We had a strange bug yesterday:

Party of three and two times in a row one of our group was the monster.
Despite the monster was blocked in the preferation section.

I think I streamed it, if someone wants to peek ;O

Is there a DLC for proper matchmaking? I'd pay for that at this point -_-

Did they change anything on the server-side after the beta??? Seems like I'm having a harder time finding games now than I did then!

Took all day to install yesterday so I didn't get a chance to play but hopefully I can get on tonight. I'm moving this weekend though so who knows :[

Semper88

There's a lot of verticality in play, with a mouse you can for example very quickly turn and precisely aim down when doing a huge jump or keep track of the monster to keep that double-damage-stream going. Or the shield/healing stuff. The game also rewards precision shots, some medics can 'tag' areas of the monster which then give it double damage. Sure, it's not Quake 3 and good gamepad players could beat bad kb/m'ers but the more everyone knows what's going on and the faster the action gets the bigger the disadvantage would be.

You might be right there Sir. Good ps4 players will still loose to a good PC player, I see your point.

Well it might be an option IF the game runs a bit dry or maybe implement an option for the console player to play with PC players by a yes or no function.

Somnia

Had an absolute blast playing this last night.

AB x Killer, myself and 2 of my RL buddies played Evacuation twice. First time we got DESTROYED the first 4 matches by a level 17 Wraith player, but ended up winning on the final match in a pretty epic showdown.

Second time around the guy we played was level 1 and won the first two rounds, then we won the next two to even it out and had improved turrets for the defend. As soon as round 5 started we got demolished and he killed us all and then moved onto generator 2 in quick speed. We brought the fight to him though and got him to roughly 3-4% hp but he finished me off and went after the generator, but our turrets took him out and we won lol

Game is amazing, can't wait to put more in and bring more gaffers in to play. Sorry if I ignored anyone's invites last night as I was in a full party!

Klyka

Banned
Talking about invites:

Fellow PC players, add me on Steam: "Klyka" is the name!
I am sure there are more of you out there than the ones who already added me :D

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I hope I like her. Lazarus singlehandedly turned the tide against a then-overpowered Wraith in Beta. I'm addicted to the dude.
I love the pure healing qualities that Laz brings but I'm going to be careful from now on and only pick the guy when I know for sure that the other people on my team are good enough to pick up the slack in the leashing department. When the Trapper and Support can't slow down Monsters, the Medic is usually left to pick up the slack in that department. :/

Had an absolute blast playing this last night.

AB x Killer, myself and 2 of my RL buddies played Evacuation twice. First time we got DESTROYED the first 4 matches by a level 17 Wraith player, but ended up winning on the final match in a pretty epic showdown.

Second time around the guy we played was level 1 and won the first two rounds, then we won the next two to even it out and had improved turrets for the defend. As soon as round 5 started we got demolished and he killed us all and then moved onto generator 2 in quick speed. We brought the fight to him though and got him to roughly 3-4% hp but he finished me off and went after the generator, but our turrets took him out and we won lol

Game is amazing, can't wait to put more in and bring more gaffers in to play. Sorry if I ignored anyone's invites last night as I was in a full party!
Some of the showdowns are fucking amazing. Especially as the Monster because if you're playing smart enough you can point out the exact moment when the tables have officially turned. One good juke, a stolen buff, an ambush on a Hunter that thought that they could cut you off, etc - sogood.gif

DY_nasty

The one that goes off every now and then during a match?

There are a lot of alerts in the game. Could mean bird sign, buff drop, monster evolve, point under attack, dead player/daisy, skill cooldown, dropship notification, etc....

really enjoying the game. i got frustrated as my first time playing as the monster tho as I wiped out the team but i didn't win, didn't realize that bitch daisy kept on reviving people. no wonder they kept coming back even tho there was no other player >_>

Bizazedo

really enjoying the game. i got frustrated as my first time playing as the monster tho as I wiped out the team but i didn't win, didn't realize that bitch daisy kept on reviving people. no wonder they kept coming back even tho there was no other player >_>

Lazarus can do that too, remember, and can cloak. Actually had a Wraith message us in beta asking if the game had bugged as he had killed two people, but Lazarus brought them back and ended his level 3 ass.

Lazarus, player, Lazarus.

Klyka

Banned

I swear, playing the monster can be great, but it's SO MUCH PRESSURE, just wow.

being hunted by 4 people, then thinking you got them and then STILL losing is just crushing.

DY_nasty

^seriously. one good, clutch medic or trapper is all it takes :(

almost had a game won when i got snagged by a harpoon just long enough for daisy to revive a medic :((((

speaking of daisy...

hunterfam -> don't trust daisy. that motherfucker will get your whole team fucked the fuck up lol. once a smart monster realizes that a daisy is on the field and that the team is following in typical mostdirectpath fashion, you're gonna catch every single obstacle that nature can throw at you ON TOP of begging to get ambushed from above 24/7

Started this last night. Looks great, and the monsters feel awesome. So does jetpack. Surprised this game isn't getting more hype. It's much more fun than Resident Evil: Remastered imho.

Still looking for more GAFers to play with : PSN: WheelHoss1

I am starting to really enjoy playing as the monsters. I am just about to unlock Kraken, I've been having lots of fun playing as Goliath. My fourth match as monster I was able to hit level 3 without even seeing the hunters. Super satisfying to win as the monster.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Loved the Alpha. Loved the Beta. Still loving it. I play strictly Monster but I did roll with Medic for a few rounds last night and really....I feel bad for Medic players because they will get the Monster bum rush every time lol.

I've been maining medic and haven't quite figured out how to transition from Val to Lazarus--is the general strategy to pick shots off from a distance and then cloak in and revive anyone afer a fight?

Are there any articles or posts out there with a list of general tips for the game? Along the lines of those Kotaku "Tips for playing ____" articles. I'm having a hard time figuring out when to decide between healing/buffing and opening fire as the medic and support classes. I know it's circumstantial, but there has to be a general set of advice for everyone...right?

DY_nasty

As a lonely player, would I still enjoy this game?

AKA friends aren't buying it.
You should really look for groups of online players to roll with unless you plan to stick to playing Monster. Not rolling with people you're familiar with (or at least with mics) can be a big obstacle playing any other way. Just being honest. I play games as Hunter with pubs often, but I rarely expect to win when I do.
Loved the Alpha. Loved the Beta. Still loving it. I play strictly Monster but I did roll with Medic for a few rounds last night and really....I feel bad for Medic players because they will get the Monster bum rush every time lol.

Yeah... new players should really avoid playing Medic out the gate. Its just too big of a responsibility and playing poorly is too big of a liability to the team as well.
I've been maining medic and haven't quite figured out how to transition from Val to Lazarus--is the general strategy to pick shots off from a distance and then cloak in and revive anyone afer a fight?

Are there any articles or posts out there with a list of general tips for the game? Along the lines of those Kotaku "Tips for playing ____" articles. I'm having a hard time figuring out when to decide between healing/buffing and opening fire as the medic and support classes. I know it's circumstantial, but there has to be a general set of advice for everyone...right?

the advanced tutorials in the extras section are actually really good

I swear, playing the monster can be great, but it's SO MUCH PRESSURE, just wow.

being hunted by 4 people, then thinking you got them and then STILL losing is just crushing.

yea man i was really getting frustrated and salty. its me vs 4 other people who are constantly bullying me and when i wipe em they just keep coming like wtf man?! LET ME WIN YO, YOU LOST, TAKE THE L! :(

DY_nasty

Oh wow! I had no idea these existed. Are they along the lines of the Markov tutorial but for each class character?

Not playable - but they are really good short videos showing off how abilities work best in certain situations and how the play into the team dynamic.

Some things you won't really have a full grasp of until you get into the game though (Bucket's gdlk UAV for example)

Top Bottom