• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Dev1lZ

Banned
I played about an hour last night on PS4. The graphics and presentation are top notch. I was very impressed with the options per character as well. I only played the variety mode that changes maps every win/loss and was blown away with a number of them.

**What I didn't care for was the random playing with us felt it was cool to berate how I played my support character after we lost the matches that was a huge turn off to me. I was tired and it was late, so I just logged.**

Note to self: play with Gaffers.

finally just won 3 matches in a row as the monster. Getting a lot better at being sneaky till I get to at least on par with the hunters. Getting to level 3 and just running them over felt so good! Though I doubt it would be that easy at level 3 with a much more competent team to play against.

I don't see how this could ever become an esport, though.

Not playable - but they are really good short videos showing off how abilities work best in certain situations and how the play into the team dynamic.

Some things you won't really have a full grasp of until you get into the game though (Bucket's gdlk UAV for example)

That's super helpful--thanks!

I'm digging the gameplay, but the menu interface isn't my favorite--the weird grinding sounds you hear as your experience bars fill up after every match, the multiple graphs popping up, the fact that I didn't know about these tutorials...all pretty messy.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, unlimited ammo.

And the post-match stuff is... yeah, needs work. Just doesn't flow right and its confusing to check your progress elsewhere. Thankfully, everything is pretty straightforward outside of perk acquisition.
finally just won 3 matches in a row as the monster. Getting a lot better at being sneaky till I get to at least on par with the hunters. Getting to level 3 and just running them over felt so good! Though I doubt it would be that easy at level 3 with a much more competent team to play against.

I don't see how this could ever become an esport, though.

Maybe one day... the game leaves so much to the players that I'm really optimistic about the future though. Hopefully the support for the community is there.

I've only been a part of one game where a really good team was against a really good monster (it was three games, but our lobby stayed the same - everyone was cool ppl). Shit can get tense. And all it takes is one really smart Monster player to change the dynamics of the game. This guy was shaking us up at level 1. Harassing us, feeding while we ran back to heal, losing us with over/under tracks + teleporting through our sound traps... dude was a beast.

Til we domed him on the way to the power generator lol. He thought he was going to have his no holds barred 4 v 1 splash damage session inside a generator room. We had our assault and medic sit in the room with all their traps out to make him think we were waiting on him while the support and trapper cloaked and pinned him in the opening right outside of it instead. He kicked our asses, yeah, but because he wasn't actually on the generator we had time on our side and a dropship respawn let us fight til time expired. Wish I had recorded it :(

I was wondering why a medic would have a sniper rifle and then I see that the medic gun thing has crazy range.

Do you get unlimited ammo in this?

All weapons have unlimited ammo, but they'll either have a clip size or a battery that needs to recharge/reload after being used. The heal gun has a long battery, but things like support's shield projector or Markov's lightning gun deplete more quickly

not buying the game till on sale

but ... isnt it just waaaaay more interesting to play as the monster? As a hunter, your weapons/abilities mostly overlap with other available games - and you are at the mercy of how good the fellow hunters are.

not buying the game till on sale

but ... isnt it just waaaaay more interesting to play as the monster? As a hunter, your weapons/abilities mostly overlap with other available games - and you are at the mercy of how good the fellow hunters are.

I don't enjoy playing as the Monster at all.

Nori Chan

I played the Monster once and got tagged by Bucket's UAV, got dome'd and manage to take the medic and trapper down but foolishly stayed when I had half health against support and assault :(

those bucket turrets do work

Bizazedo

Yeah... new players should really avoid playing Medic out the gate. Its just too big of a responsibility and playing poorly is too big of a liability to the team as well.

the advanced tutorials in the extras section are actually really good

I dunno...they're ALL super important. I feel tense playing as any of the characters.

Supports shield is just as important as the medic.
Supports air strike, if used wrong, throws the hunters away from the monster.

Useless trappers who can't dome are a burden.

Assault is the main damage, if he sucks......:(

And yeah, the advanced tutorials should not be under Extras. People will miss them, and they shouldn't, because they're excellent.

Did not comb over entire thread so may have been asked already but does Griffin's harpoon require you to hold down trigger while attached to monster? Hard to tell cause they break harpoons so quickly.

I dunno...they're ALL super important. I feel tense playing as any of the characters.

And yeah, the advanced tutorials should not be under Extras. People will miss them, and they shouldn't, because they're excellent.

Useless trappers and useless medics are the worst. Medics who think they're dps' hurt my soul

Useless trappers and useless medics are the worst. Medics who think they're dps' hurt my soul

why would someone play to heal though? sounds boring. if i bought the game I would try all the characters, and being a healer sounds the opposite of engaging. they give them some cool weapons so I wouldnt blame medics for using them

deoee

Did not comb over entire thread so may have been asked already but does Griffin's harpoon require you to hold down trigger while attached to monster? Hard to tell cause they break harpoons so quickly.

Yes you have to remain eyecontact and hold the trigger.
It's a very narrow "corridor" you have to maintain.

It works really well if you can nab them as they're using a movement ability. Goliaths will practically hop in place if you time it right. In general, I hit them in the back with it as it seems to give me the best results.

Almost feels like a lasso once you get used to it.

Edit: And as answered above, yes, you have to hold it.

deoee

Like a UAV lol

You control his head and can fly around the whole map and tag the Monster. Idk the cooldown or how long it's up in the air for as I haven't tried him yet

Dude :D

I mean, what's your strategy.
When do you stand still and use it, after a dome expires?
For finding the Monster in the first place?

etc... :D

jiggles

Banned
Also, a quick tip:

There are multiple pages within each section of your profile, which you tab through with left and right on the dpad. The leaderboard is the default page for each, but you can check your unlock progress and what perks you have coming up.

Might be super-obvious to most, but it took me about 20 minutes of actively LOOKING for that info before I spotted it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Depends on the team but probably early in the game to initially find him. Especially if you have someone like Abe.

It can be useful in a dome if the monster is the type that runs around and hides a lot too.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
why would someone play to heal though? sounds boring. if i bought the game I would try all the characters, and being a healer sounds the opposite of engaging. they give them some cool weapons so I wouldnt blame medics for using them
From MMOs to MOBAs, healer/true support is a fun role for many. I love it myself honestly. You're a true force multiplier - if your team's guns can stay in the fight longer than the other team's guns, you're gonna win. And when your team doesn't have to worry about dodging certain attacks, then they can focus more on other things. Healer is fun. I used to be about that DPS life, but as long as I'm not forced into a generic white mage/cleric look, I'm picking Medic types all the time.

You can get by without a shield to block attacks. Its a great bonus to have and the Val/Hank combo is generally hell for any Monster to deal with when they're on the same page. Still, I just don't think any Support really falls in the make-or-break category to the overall team composition. They're a great benefit when they're on their game but you can survive a bad one in my experience so far. If they suck, you'll only feel it for a moment whereas a bad Medic is going to be a constant negative for the entire game and a bad Trapper.... ugh, all they have to do is throw a bad dome one time and you're screwed (Monster gets away and is free to feed uninterrupted, locks you into a no-win engagement, etc).

The game can go down hill extremely fast if you start racking up strikes though. I don't think people realize this quite yet. Lazarus outright preventing that or another medic keeping your team above the one-shot kill threshold is extremely important imo

BashNasty

This is what makes team based games like this so much fun, you're gonna find people who excel in certain roles. Personally, I love healing. I love doing it in World of Warcraft, I love doing it in Heroes of the Storm, and I love doing it in Evolve. Being the guy who is watching out for everyone else is a very satisfying role for me. I'd rather bring a teammate back from the brink of death than deal the final hit to the monster.

derExperte

Using them isn't the problem. Using them wrong is, they're not for directly damaging the monster. And if someone doesn't want to heal please never play medic (easily done through the priority-system), a lot of people, me included, enjoy it since it's a bit more laid back and constantly shooting something isn't any more exciting in the long run imo. Though right now I'm in #teamUAV.

Klyka

Banned
Just had 2 hours of fucking amazing games with people from GAF and beyond.
Skyzard, Godboy, nice fucking rounds! kudos!

Absolutely fucking awesome, love this game.

Skyzard

Banned
^Thanks for the invite that was super fun.

Medic is super demanding and means your team stays alive to fight and win.

As Val you're constantly tranqing to slow the monster down both while chasing and in combat. Constantly healing your teammates and constantly using your sniper to put double damage markers up for assault etc. Really demanding role imo.

The skill of PC hunters is rising, so I decided to give the 'ol mouse and keyboard a go.
Pure destruction. Love throwing the Boulder with perfect accuracy.
But ugh my back. I'm too old for desktop gaming. I'm going to have to get a wireless mkb for the couch.

Klyka

Banned

As Val you're constantly tranqing to slow the monster down both while chasing and in combat. Constantly healing your teammates and constantly using your sniper to put double damage markers up for assault etc. Really demanding role imo.

Gotta say man, everyone was playing really well. Had just wished our fourth man had had a mic too!

Some damn close games. Also Wraith isn't NEARLY as dangerous as people make her out to be. Now the fucking Kraken in Defend? Geez, that's harsh.

Mask

Got my copy through! The Monster pass is in the case in some UK copies.

Gonna play the tutorials and a few bot rounds, get a general feel for how the hunters handle and what each one is like, and the monster, then play some games with you guys! Don't want to be a burden by hopping in without a little experience.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Honestly, I find playing as a medic in Evolve to be the most rewarding class. You're pretty much in constant demand and even though you don't do direct damage to the creature, your role is just about as essential as anyone else.

Then again, I found Medic rewarding back when I played TF2 years and years ago. So maybe I'm just weird.

Nori Chan

Oh lol well if I played Support, I surely would find a safe place to hide and use it immediately and all the time.

Klyka

Banned
So for the first time I just took a look at the skins available for purchase and there are only weapon skins for the hunters?
Like, now my gun is white? Uh....I thought there would be skins for the actual hunters!
Ah well, guess not.

Skyzard

Banned
Abe and Griffin:
2fYRfpO.jpg

They couldn't have made them a bit less similar visually?

Honestly, I find playing as a medic in Evolve to be the most rewarding class. You're pretty much in constant demand and even though you don't do direct damage to the creature, your role is just about as essential as anyone else.

Then again, I found Medic rewarding back when I played TF2 years and years ago. So maybe I'm just weird.

Totally agree. Great thing about this game is all the roles are pretty much essential most of the time.

Also just unlocked the third medic, which is tonnes of fun - heal with grenades and a fast acceleration group field, plus the fire grenade launcher.

Gotta say man, everyone was playing really well. Had just wished our fourth man had had a mic too!

Some damn close games. Also Wraith isn't NEARLY as dangerous as people make her out to be. Now the fucking Kraken in Defend? Geez, that's harsh.

Yes it was, so much better with mics too, I haven't been as lucky grouping with people that have mics in random.

Also, hours just flyby with this game, a tad worryingly so :p I have to be careful.

Slowly unlocking some nice beginning buffs - got jetpack recharge up to +55% (need xp to unlock).

---- +75% at level 30

minx

Wow. Woke up today excited to play. Was level 13 with every character unlocked except Abe. I see today that I have been reset to level one with no character unlocks even though I unlocked the teir 2 players through the beta. On XB1. fuck you 2k.

ship it

glad to see people are learning how to play the monsters.

still pissed about no preorder code and nothing from 2k/turtlerock.

DirtyLarry

I rented this, think it should be there when I get home from GameFly, and used to play a whole lot of FPS's online but have not in quite some time, so with that understood, what class do I have the best chance of helping out my team if I only have a casual interest in playing?

And believe me, I realize that my question itself is the exact reason why I am not very excited about the game at all, I feel like it is not going to be very forgiving for those gamers like myself who just have an hour here and there to play these days, but felt I owed it to Turtle Rock to check out since I was such a big fan of L4D.

Klyka

Banned
I rented this, think it should be there when I get home from GameFly, and used to play a whole lot of FPS's online but have not in quite some time, so with that understood, what class do I have the best chance of helping out my team if I only have a casual interest in playing?

And believe me, I realize that my question itself is the exact reason why I am not very excited about the game at all, I feel like it is not going to be very forgiving for those gamers like myself who just have an hour here and there to play these days, but felt I owed it to Turtle Rock to check out since I was such a big fan of L4D.

Assault. You still need to play well and with your team but it's (mostly) about just hitting the monster as much and as hard as you can while keeping alive with your shield.

Skyzard

Banned
^ yeah, assault is the one I think. Use shield when taking a lot of damage in a bad position.
Don't fire from too far away if you intend to trap the monster (let the trapper get closer) instead of scaring it away.
Don't forget to place your mines, they do good damage.
Remind medic to put up damage points with the sniper if they have one, maybe ask support (with a shield protector - the first guy, Hank) to keep an eye on you when your shield is low and you're going in.

Wow. Woke up today excited to play. Was level 13 with every character unlocked except Abe. I see today that I have been reset to level one with no character unlocks even thought I unlocked the their 2 players through the beta. On XB1. fuck you 2k.

shiiitt

Anyone else preorder XB1 digitally from Amazon? Thought there was a Monster and all hunters unlocked that came as a preorder bonus. I never received a code from amazon.

Top Bottom