• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Had a bunch of fun playing some monster games today. After playing a bunch of hunter games yesterday, I ready to take out my monster rage on them. My last game I played as the Wraith. All that remained at the end was Assault and me. He wanted to leave, but I told him no :D

8lLfr9a.gif

omg that gif lmao

i need to be a wraith and project my fears from watching alien 1 and 2 at an early age onto others

Yudoken

I'm pretty ok with the Goliath (I love to play as him) but I have a problem with my internet and couldn't finish the game as a level 3 monster for the second time (played 5 games, 3 wins and two disconnects but it's my fault =( ).
I probably have to play it when my problem is fixed (or if I move out, whatever comes first).
I'm really about the game and it's a shame that it gets as much hate for it's dlc stuff.

Kolgar

I feel like this game is generating good word of mouth.

Glad to see, as I think it's fantastic. And I appreciate that the userbase won't be split as new maps come out. If the community sticks around, this game will keep on giving for a good while.

To those peepz playing offline....STAHP!! I tried offline for my first couple of games to get the hang of the classes but the AI monster is way too hard and methodical. It basically stays hidden and evolves to level 3 then comes to rape ya. Better to jump online and learn the ropes there, the game is still early so there are heaps of noobs and learning to play and coordinate as a team is a completely different experience. Also player controlled monsters are sometimes easier and sometimes harder but this dynamic teaches you so much about the game and you learn to deal with a wide variety of scenarios and tactics. It is sooo fast paced and you are forced to think on your feet. Don't feel daunted at all because you're just there to learn and do your part, who knows you may end up using a class you had no interest in but did really well because of the situations that were presented in the heat of battle. I had no interest in medic of support but after being forced to use them in a couple of online battles I think they are awesome, just as good as assault and a very different playstyle. Also peepz seems very thankful when you refill their health or shield them from some serious damage. Also the air strike in the support class (Hank) does some serious damage, I took out 5 chunks of armour on a goliath with 1 well placed strike. So satisfying.

Just a couple of questions....I played about 8-9 games online last night but did not see any monster aside from the Goliath. Do I have to put some playtime in as the monster class to unlock Kraken and Wraith? I hope not as I just love working as a team tryna take down the beast. My profile is currently at level 6 and i've never used the monster.

Also is there any way to choose any of the other game types in multiplayer or is Evacuation and Skirmish (Hunt) the only ones without creating a custom game?

Thanks guys.

DY_nasty

To those peepz playing offline....STAHP!! I tried offline for my first couple of games to get the hang of the classes but the AI monster is way too hard and methodical. It basically stays hidden and evolves to level 3 then comes to rape ya. Better to jump online and learn the ropes there, the game is still early so there are heaps of noobs and learning to play and coordinate as a team is a completely different experience. Also player controlled monsters are sometimes easier and sometimes harder but this dynamic teaches you so much about the game and you learn to deal with a wide variety of scenarios and tactics. It is sooo fast paced and you are forced to think on your feet. Don't feel daunted at all because you're just there to learn and do your part, who knows you may end up using a class you had no interest in but did really well because of the situations that were presented in the heat of battle. I had no interest in medic of support but after being forced to use them in a couple of online battles I think they are awesome, just as good as assault and a very different playstyle. Also peepz seems very thankful when you refill their health or shield them from some serious damage. Also the air strike in the support class (Hank) does some serious damage, I took out 5 chunks of armour on a goliath with 1 well placed strike. So satisfying.

Just a couple of questions....I played about 8-9 games online last night but did not see any monster aside from the Goliath. Do I have to put some playtime in as the monster class to unlock Kraken and Wraith? I hope not as I just love working as a team tryna take down the beast. My profile is currently at level 6 and i've never used the monster.

Also is there any way to choose any of the other game types in multiplayer or is Evacuation and Skirmish (Hunt) the only ones without creating a custom game?

Thanks guys.
you can adjust the difficulty quite a bit in offline play btw

and naw... you can unlock the new classes (of hunters and monsters alike) in about 2-3 games or so if you know what to do. gotta 1 star each ability to get the next class

Killer

Banned
is there away to know how to get the second and third star for mastery levels? bars doesn't fill after the first one.

patchday

need more GAF

My psn is sandboxgod on PS4

Only got a chance to play through tutorial last night. Cant wait to dig in deep tonight!

Purdy

Is it me or do games keep dropping? Every just begins running on the spot?

Also the only full games I seem to find are ones I end up dropping into and taking over a bot....

Xbox One btw, wouldn't mind some friends for this either, XBL-Purdy8TV

Klyka

Banned
Is it me or do games keep dropping? Every just begins running on the spot?

Also the only full games I seem to find are ones I end up dropping into and taking over a bot....

Xbox One btw, wouldn't mind some friends for this either, XBL-Purdy8TV

I feel the xboxone version (maybe both consoles?) have some real problems going on.
Profiles being deleted, games dropping a lot.
Me and my guys played for hours on PC today and nothing ever happened for us.

Guess I should get some Gaffers to add me else I'm going to be playing alone for a very long time. :p

Feel free to add me on PSN anyone, ID is SHEMHAZAI-X300.

Purdy

I feel the xboxone version (maybe both consoles?) have some real problems going on.

Horrible audio issues too, think the monster is in front of me and is behind me =/

JRod2100

Neo Member
Just picked up my copy on X1. Plan on spending some time with it this weekend. Help me avoid a bad experience with randoms.

Please add JRod2100.

The game crashes sporadically for some people on PC. I've seen a lot of streamers crash, and Ive crashed a handful of times as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got all of the characters/monsters unlocked.

I seriously love how diverse and impactful the different kits are. Cabot seems like he would go great with Val since you can see what an outlined mosnter is doing. Crouching down a bit to eat? Shoot the railgun and shot him. I also used the damage amp right before the kraken got pulled down into a few arc mines and...damn. Thing got wrecked.

Assault is my least played class but Parnell is a lot more fun to me. He feels way more active in fights as he moves around and plans when to use super solider for crazy fast shooting/movement.

I still think Lazarus is my overall favorite to play though.

is there away to know how to get the second and third star for mastery levels? bars doesn't fill after the first one.

It's not really clear that you can do this but if you go to profile and hit on any of the classes to see the leaderboard, hit right and there are additional menus for each hunter. I think those are listed there.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just got my copy today and holy shit this is fun. Didn't have fun in the beta, couldn't get connected on either PC or Xbox one. Played mostly Support and medic, brother has been assault and trapper, love how each class changes a bit with each character. The heal gun for Val is awesome but gotta love the res on Lazarus. Also Hanks shield gun is so much fun, just zapping my buddy as he gets knocked around like a pinball by the monster.

Havent gotten a chance to be the monster yet, maybe tomorrow.

BurningNad

Going through unlocking all of the monsters/classes, and I'm having a lot more fun with certain classes that I didn't think I'd have. I only haven't tried support yet, I just am not a fan of Hank. Hopefully I can unlock Bucket quickly.

Also, I was wary of playing as Wraith because of the squishiness... but, man. Man.

Man.

Klyka

Banned
Nothing beats the feeling of smacking down a Kraken or Wraith player.

With a Goliath, the player could be new or he just enjoys playing the "grounded" monster.

But Kraken and Wraith? They are for the "special" players. And shutting them down and denying them their "wut? but I thought me so OP!?" feels SO damn good.

Does the progress I made during the alpha carry over to the full game? I'm installing the game now and noticed it still shows the play time from back in November. Figured it would all reset.

Dartastic

I love how when I access the extras menu I can see that apparently the final PS4 build number is 102434 and that it's date is on January 25 at 10:27 at night.

Killer

Banned
You first need to complete all three in the tier you're currently in before leveling up further.

It's not really clear that you can do this but if you go to profile and hit on any of the classes to see the leaderboard, hit right and there are additional menus for each hunter. I think those are listed there.

Thanks. they really don't do a good job explaining how to get them.

MoonGred

Alright I am officially done talking about the DLC for this game in any thread lol

Yea that dlc thread is a joke.

Any tips before starting to play medic? I know everyone recommends not making it the first class you play but it's the one that appeals the most to me.
Doea anyone know if matchmaking on pc is tied to your preferred role (like mmorpgs), or will it match you with players regardless of what you want first

Klyka

Banned
I can't take people talking about this game serious anymore.

I'm just not gonna bother anymore. If i see anything about the game outside the actual game I will just not even look at it.

I had hours of fun so far and I'll play it until i'm not having fun anymore.
It's just a normal game that doesn't deserve ANY of this crazy shit

Papercuts

Any tips before starting to play medic? I know everyone recommends not making it the first class you play but it's the one that appeals the most to me.
Doea anyone know if matchmaking on pc is tied to your preferred role (like mmorpgs), or will it match you with players regardless of what you want first

The initial medic serves sorta like a scout/medic, use her tranquilizer a lot on the monster to keep it slowed and highlighted. Combat is extremely hectic as a medic but you should generally try to get higher ground, since her healing beam will make her an easy target. This way if a monster comes towards her you have time to jump off/jetpack away as they climb a ledge.

It lets you pick and set all of the roles in the game to a priority but ultimately will try to get you in a match even if it's a role lower on your list. Unless you're in a team you can't really guarantee your role, just that it will try to get you it more.

Durden77

If this game is going to base so much on competitiv-ness, which it ought to because it's balanced well in that regard, it should have a better ranking system. That would make things oretty exciting. Ya know, like how Lol and CSGO do it and stuff.

Klyka

Banned
Protip for medics:

if you have Maggie, position yourself close to her harpoon traps.
If you have Markov, position yourself close to his mines.
If you have Abe dodge through one of his stasis mines.

the monster WILL come for you and you need to make it pay for that.

DY_nasty

Protip for medics:

if you have Maggie, position yourself close to her harpoon traps.
If you have Markov, position yourself close to his mines.
If you have Abe dodge through one of his stasis mines.

the monster WILL come for you and you need to make it pay for that.
this is really good advice. i rarely think of anything when dodging attacks other than the landscape.

this is gonna suck for you, but i recommend a solo/bot match with medic first before hopping in an online game. the monster AI is absolutely vicious when it comes to prioritizing the medic. you'll learn what pressure feels like and how important it is to heal your team while facing it.

Abe is my Krakens kryptonite. Once youre darted, youre darted and stasis grenades are a PIA.
stasis grenades are game changers. i love the harpoons but the grenades are way more versatile

Any tips for dealing with the Kraken as the assault? I have a hard time getting in on him.

I also can't trap the Wraith to save my life :[

Papercuts

Any tips for dealing with the Kraken as the assault? I have a hard time getting in on him.

I also can't trap the Wraith to save my life :[

Which assault?

Though ultimately it's more on the other teammates since assault himself can't really do much about its movement. One thing I find pretty useful is just use the normal jetpack and attack while floating around in midar. Usually fuel management is a big part of fighting Kraken, but the personal shield can be popped on his big damage dealers like lightning strike so he is less reliant on saving some for a boost.

sjay1994

Lazarus has become my fucking bane for whenever I play goliath.

I never lost in hunt as the monster. I decided to try my hand at evacuation. This team was so crack tight it was insane. The assault would lay down mines everywhere limiting my movement, the trapper kept shooting traps down stopping me constantly, and the support would lay down orbital strikes down on me....

and then there is fucking Lazarus. This asshole keeps bringing people back from the dead. I thought, ok I'll prioritize him, but nope.

He peppers me with weakpoints from a high point, cloaks when I come after him and then revives the person I downed twice already with full health again.

These hunt matches took 20 minutes or more. I wrecked them in nest and rescue.... and because the 4th match was a hunt... I got fucked with their inpenatrable defense with turrets+mines+traps all over the place.

I got super close, but there defense was too good, even when I was keeping my distance as kraken

Top Bottom