• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Still on the fence regarding this one. I'm curious, and want to try it, but from what I read I'll bore of it really quickly and don't know if it's even worth the effort of 20+ hours of downloading.

Crisium

PC Performance if anyone is curious:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Evolve-test-Evolve_1920.jpg

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/evolve-test-gpu.html

Also frame times:
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-02/...n-im-vergleich/#diagramm-frametimes-2560-1600

Not looking good at all for Nvidia even with their day 0 driver. No Crossfire support yet from AMD though.

As for CPUs...

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Evolve-test-Evolve_proz.jpg

Not even sure what is... what the heck... is this the real life?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Btw, a useful tip that is one of the easier things to overlook is that the monster regains their movement ability at a faster pace in combat, which also means if you're tailing it trying to get a dome up, taking shots it will actually just help it get away.

Ensoul

On the fence with this game. I want check it out but not for 60 bucks. I can wait for a price drop but the problem is by the time the price drops I'll just be so far behind everybody else.

Skyzard

Banned
WTF is going on with that CPU performance chart.

i7 4770K being destroyed by an i5 2500K with less of an overclock.

--- Russian translation says 4 and 16 threads are okay, 6, 8 or 12 is limited.

Brandwin

Any tips as the monster? I suck as one. I'll run, back track, sneak to throw them off, but I am lucky if I get to Evolve once before they find me.

So cool to crouch down and see people walk by you not knowing you're there.

Had very little interest in this game but all of a sudden I really want to play it. Watched some streams yesterday that looked fun.

GCU and $35 in certificates bring the price to under 20 is going to make me break and jump in. Thanks GAF for always making me want to buy something.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Any tips as the monster? I suck as one. I'll run, back track, sneak to throw them off, but I am lucky if I get to Evolve once before they find me.

So cool to crouch down and see people walk by you not knowing you're there.
leap all de time

note where it looks like you're going according to the path you're taking on the ground. leap from cliff to cliff at every opportunity. even if they see you it doesn't matter because drops don't hit fast enough and hitting a flying, lateral moving monster at distance with a tranq or harpoon is damned hard. use rivers to drop your scent and fuck up tracks. leap more. leap again. stealth in high places for maximum fuckery.

honestly, you can fuck with hunters more at stage 2 than stage 3 because hunters almost always hole up on the generator at stage 3 - kinda limits your options
Btw, a useful tip that is one of the easier things to overlook is that the monster regains their movement ability at a faster pace in combat, which also means if you're tailing it trying to get a dome up, taking shots it will actually just help it get away.

holy shit - i did not know this

fuck, this changes everything lol. i used to pop shots with lazarus all the time because my shots couldn't be tracked. fuuuuuuuu

Klyka

Banned
leap all de time

note where it looks like you're going according to the path you're taking on the ground. leap from cliff to cliff at every opportunity. even if they see you it doesn't matter because drops don't hit fast enough and hitting a flying, lateral moving monster at distance with a tranq or harpoon is damned hard. use rivers to drop your scent and fuck up tracks. leap more. leap again. stealth in high places for maximum fuckery.

honestly, you can fuck with hunters more at stage 2 than stage 3 because hunters almost always hole up on the generator at stage 3 - kinda limits your options

holy shit - i did not know this

fuck, this changes everything lol. i used to pop shots with lazarus all the time because my shots couldn't be tracked. fuuuuuuuu

note that the "in combat" stamina regen for the monster only applies if it is in 70m range of a hunter. Getting sniped from 200m away does nothing

-Deimos

Probably already posted but another tip for Wraith is that the decoy doesn't have any health, so don't bother shooting at it trying to make it disappear faster.

Papercuts

I just had a crazy game as Goliath playing cat and mouse over a dead elite tyrant. I got waaaay too greedy and wanted the health regen, had their medic killed, but they had Parnell and Bucket doing tons of damage. He kept deploying a turret near the corpse so even when I tried to loop around I couldn't just eat for the buff and run away. They got me down to the last blip of HP before I really got away. Got to stage 3 and managed to bait the assault into turning a corner as I pounced him and killed the team from there.

Closest I've come to losing, but my undefeated Goliath streak continues. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That's the first time I've seen a Parnell too. His DPS with bucket was nuts.

Bizazedo

Assault. You still need to play well and with your team but it's (mostly) about just hitting the monster as much and as hard as you can while keeping alive with your shield.

Feels like wildlife is more aggressive than it was in the Beta, too, so Assault helps keep them off.

Did you get a lot of mileage out of left 4 dead?

I bought and loved the first game, which I played the Hell out of. It's one of the only games that I pushed past my OCD with, and actually took to others' houses.

The second one was something I looked forward to, but it didn't wow me like the first. It was really solid, but I lost interest in it a lot quicker.

Since those days, I've become more of an introverted gamer and less of a multiplayer gamer, though it was never something I became addicted to or played all the time. I prefer solo campaigns.

DY_nasty

I just had a crazy game as Goliath playing cat and mouse over a dead elite tyrant. I got waaaay too greedy and wanted the health regen, had their medic killed, but they had Parnell and Bucket doing tons of damage. He kept deploying a turret near the corpse so even when I tried to loop around I couldn't just eat for the buff and run away. They got me down to the last blip of HP before I really got away. Got to stage 3 and managed to bait the assault into turning a corner as I pounced him and killed the team from there.

Closest I've come to losing, but my undefeated Goliath streak continues. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That's the first time I've seen a Parnell too. His DPS with bucket was nuts.
bucket looks dumb until you see him in action

dude turns every dome encounter into a fucking blender lol
note that the "in combat" stamina regen for the monster only applies if it is in 70m range of a hunter. Getting sniped from 200m away does nothing

*whew* okay thanks.

13thStep

I so want to play this game, but I am terrible at FPS's. I'm would hate to get it and then just get yelled at by other hunters. How hard is it to learn this game? Thoughts?

Tabasco

I so want to play this game, but I am terrible at FPS's. I'm would hate to get it and then just get yelled at by other hunters. How hard is it to learn this game? Thoughts?
You just have to know what your role's priorities are and put them to action at the right times.

Make sure you communicate with your team as well.

Solo is fun too. Could get you familiar with mechanics of game and help figure out what role you like to play best.

Papercuts

Even post nerf I still think the Wraith decoy is just a stupid move. It is rarely even used as an actual fake out, just mashed out because it does damage and knockback.

I still don't find wraith to be that huge of a threat but I might not have faced good ones, it's mostly just annoying. The match seems to always go down to the clock because the wraith keeps running away and can't attack the power relay without getting wrecked and backing off some more. This just happened again until the wraith player quit with a minute left, lol. But even then there was shit like the Wraith decoy smacking me(as lazarus) twice, knocking me around right into the actual Wraith, and the decoy did so much damage that I died right away.

I'm really curious to see how the win percents pan out this time.

Klyka

Banned
Even post nerf I still think the Wraith decoy is just a stupid move. It is rarely even used as an actual fake out, just mashed out because it does damage and knockback.

I still don't find wraith to be that huge of a threat but I might not have faced good ones, it's mostly just annoying. The match seems to always go down to the clock because the wraith keeps running away and can't attack the power relay without getting wrecked and backing off some more. This just happened again until the wraith player quit with a minute left, lol. But even then there was shit like the Wraith decoy smacking me(as lazarus) twice, knocking me around right into the actual Wraith, and the decoy did so much damage that I died right away.

I'm really curious to see how the win percents pan out this time.

It is a LOT easier now to see where the actual Wraith goes to though and he can't just warp away. I have made it a pretty routine maneuver now to shout "decoy" and just waltz right past it towards where the actual Wraith is.
It's not nearly the "i win" button it used to be. And if you constantly remind your team to stay away from each other the entire AOE aspect of the Wraith goes out of the window. Full DPS on the thing and they just plummet.

Now the friggin Kraken? I barely met players of it yet so I can't formulate proper approaches. I think it's basically "don't bunch up, shoot the red mines and stay on the ground so you ALWAYS have jetpack dodge to get out of the lightning"

DY_nasty

It is a LOT easier now to see where the actual Wraith goes to though and he can't just warp away. I have made it a pretty routine maneuver now to shout "decoy" and just waltz right past it towards where the actual Wraith is.
It's not nearly the "i win" button it used to be. And if you constantly remind your team to stay away from each other the entire AOE aspect of the Wraith goes out of the window. Full DPS on the thing and they just plummet.

Now the friggin Kraken? I barely met players of it yet so I can't formulate proper approaches. I think it's basically "don't bunch up, shoot the red mines and stay on the ground so you ALWAYS have jetpack dodge to get out of the lightning"

Kraken speed is by far the hardest thing to deal with.

Klyka

Banned
Had another fun Evacuation campaign with Skyzard and derExperte.
The monster we fought was obviously new to the game and we won each round, but it's still very fun to play in a coordinated team. We're definitely getting the hang of the game boys :)

Mdk7

Just experienced the most frustrating bug encountered in my life, on Xbox One: as some might know i am a journalist from IGN Italy, so i started to play the game on the 9th (evening time in Europe) with no problem whatsoever.
I even streamed the game via Twitch yesterday, using my account from the console of a colleague and getting to level 7.
Now i just turned my One on, and BAM! ALL progression vanished, i'm back to square one.
All that was kept is my customized avatar, just to mock me even more.
This is just SO frustrating, i am fucking mad about this.
Simply ridiculous.

Klyka

Banned
Just experienced the most frustrating bug encountered in my life, on Xbox One: as some might know i am a journalist from IGN Italy, so i started to play the game on the 9th (evening time in Europe) with no problem whatsoever.
I even streamed the game via Twitch yesterday, using my account from the console of a colleague and getting to level 7.
Now i just turned my One on, and BAM! ALL progression vanished, i'm back to square one.
All that was kept is my customized avatar, just to mock me even more.
This is just SO frustrating, i am fucking mad about this.
Simply ridiculous.

Yep that's an xbone thing. lots of people have it apparently.
Sorry man :(

This game is fucking rad!! Jumped online last night with my level 1 profile and levelled up to 6, wanted to keep playing but real life was calling *sigh*. Had some awesome intense matches and I was sooo baked everything was just heightened haha. 3 of the matches were so awesome I had to save them, might upload them to youtube tonight. This is honestly the most fun i've had playing a game in a looooooooooooong time! The best way to describe it would be Monster Hunter combined with Left 4 Dead (2 of my absolute favourite games). At first I only wanted to stick to one class (assault) but after a few matches of being dumped in the medic and support class I started to get the hang of them and provided some awesome backup for my team. What a rush!! The gameplay variety and depth is real guys! This game is truley unique and very very solid.

It's amazing seeing a game like Destiny come out with ZERO innovations and barely any excitement (defend me while I open this door ad nauseam) and then you have something like Evolve which is different to almost evey other game out there with unique aspects and thrilling moments left and right. When shit is on it is ON!! I'm in awe at how balanced everything feels at the game's launch. Most multiplayer games need so much fine tuning nowdays but this game just works out of the box. At no point did I feel like any of the classes weren't useful or that the monster was over/under powered and I haven't exeperienced a single glitch or any slowdown at all (PS4). Awesome work Turtle Rock, I had faith in this game all along but WOW this delivered beyong my wildest expectations. I don't care what DLC is going to be offered up in future but I AM IN!! I thought I would only be interested in the monster DLC but after playing with a couple of different classes the Hunters are incredible! The game is hella fast paced and sure there is quite a bit of running around chasing after the monster (really good/experienced players will give you a good chase) but it really does feel like a hunt and when you catch up to it, dome it and the monster has no choice but to fight...man shit hits the fan!

One of the standout moments was playing as Assault against a Goliath, get dropped in and off the bat I do a 180 and just start running in that direction, turn around to see all 3 other members of my team heading the opposite way but it doesn't bother me cuz i'm assault and I can handle the monster 1 on 1 for a little bit thanks to the personal shield. Almost immediately I see a flock of birds disturbed only 60 meters in front of me so I take a guess and decide to cut through on the left side of a rock face and there he is, smashing away at some wildlife in a shallow pool of water. I start zapping him with Markov's lightning gun and he turns on me, I back dash increasing the gap while still wailing with the lightning gun, he does the jump smash at me but I have another back dash ready for him barely dodging it with the skin of my teeth...still wailing of course. At this point I see a dome go up...."Great my team is here!" All of a sudden the mofos harpooned, still struggling to come at me I decide to lay down some mines and gtfo. He runs through all 3 and that is when I see he knows he's made a mistake, agresssion turns to fear as he turns to run away but realises he's incased in a dome so he has no choice but to fight. Decides to turn on one of the other hunters and our medic who had his back to a wall gets pummelled and pinned down, I jump up to a small ledge just above where they were and start throwing down mines on his head. Again he turns his attention to me but I had 3 more mines deployed on the ledge right next to me and as he jumps up loses like 3 bars of armour instantly and he's down to his health bar. Panic sets in and he starts to leg it. The dome comes down and he's off running for his life but we're hot on his heels.

I'm pepperring him in the back with my assault rifle and after a couple of minutes of chasing he increases the gap by climbing real high. He must've killed a couple of critters up there because I see his Evolve bar go up. I decide to anticipate him again and go around the cliff face...then wtf "Monster has evolved to stage 2!" Damn that was quick, he must've realised he got no armour so might as well evolve right there. I catch him just as he comes out of the cocoon and it is on again but this time I am being harassed by some armoured rhino thing. It and the monster smash me for 6 into a deep lake but I sink pretty deep before activating my jetpack to fly straight back out lightning gun at the ready. As I break the waters surface and hover out I see my team killing the rhino thing and again with the goliath's back to me I come up right behind him and throw down some landmines. The monster is swapping targets willy nilly and I can tell he is in panic mode. With no armour and just over half a health bar left I can tell he has realised it's all or nothing now and stands his ground and turns to face me. I pop my shield and just lightning gun & lightning gun!! Chunks of health are flying off this mofo and he is on his last legs....in a last ditch attempt to escape (there was no dome) he tries to jump across the deep lake we were near but I had my assault rifle out by then and was hammering him from the shore, I see his body go limp and ragdoll into the lake and that is where he lay. Hunters win at 4:15!! Hellz yea!

Currently stuck at work....fuck my life! Lol!

DirtyLarry

Assault. You still need to play well and with your team but it's (mostly) about just hitting the monster as much and as hard as you can while keeping alive with your shield.

^ yeah, assault is the one I think. Use shield when taking a lot of damage in a bad position.
Don't fire from too far away if you intend to trap the monster (let the trapper get closer) instead of scaring it away.
Don't forget to place your mines, they do good damage.
Remind medic to put up damage points with the sniper if they have one, maybe ask support (with a shield protector - the first guy, Hank) to keep an eye on you when your shield is low and you're going in.
Thanks for the reply. Based on the character descriptions in the OT that was the class I was leaning towards already, so appreciate the confirmation.

Unfortunately it was not here today even though I thought it might be.

Papercuts

Yeah, I haven't really had issues dealing with Wraith players themselves, and the nerf was definitely needed so they can't get half way across the map while doing it. I guess I just figured it was something to be used with more tact, like getting behind cover and splitting to slow down the hunters a bit if they think it's the real wraith. But instead I always see players taking direct fire from the whole team and just splitting in front of them because the decoy just swings out and lashes at someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHv0ZVJLagI

There's a short example of something. Look how much Daisy got fucked up by it, lol. I haven't really found it ignorable even knowing shooting it won't make it go away faster.

But I do need to fight it more. Kraken was a bastard in the Alpha but become a lot more manage in the Beta once I got the general gameplan down.

Rocketz

Had a bunch of fun playing some monster games today. After playing a bunch of hunter games yesterday, I ready to take out my monster rage on them. My last game I played as the Wraith. All that remained at the end was Assault and me. He wanted to leave, but I told him no :D

8lLfr9a.gif

Currently stuck at work....fuck my life! Lol!

So what's it like working at Turtle Rock? :p

Just kidding. I agree with your overall sentiment. Game is awesome. Just wish unlocking new characters wasn't such a ball ache. Haven't even tried online yet purely because I want to unlock all the monsters so I know how each of them play. >.<

Klyka

Banned
It's almost impossible to describe how much more fun playing the game with people with mics is. Like, if everyone is actually communicating and also really trying their best to win it? It's fucking fantastic.

As fun as playing the monster is, it is a lonely experience. I actually believe the feeling of taking down a strong monster as a team, talking to each other, is better than taking down a strong hunter team as a lone monster.

opinions though,yo

Papercuts

It's almost impossible to describe how much more fun playing the game with people with mics is. Like, if everyone is actually communicating and also really trying their best to win it? It's fucking fantastic.

As fun as playing the monster is, it is a lonely experience. I actually believe the feeling of taking down a strong monster as a team, talking to each other, is better than taking down a strong hunter team as a lone monster.

opinions though,yo

It's really fun getting into a custom game of 5 and rotating the monster around.

Top Bottom