• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Bru

Remember not to get distracted by the decoy.

Exactly, if it flashes when hit, boost away and ignore it! Also watch for the faint mist trail behind the decoy and look for the Wraith transitioning into cloak when it drops.

Loving this game so far but I really need to add and play with GAFfers to get the teamwork flowing. Currently hunting on Xbox Live, gamer tag: Bru

Just let me know you're from the forum!

Match where for a while Kraken had invisibility.
I think it was only for me, in that only I couldn't see it and everyone else could.
http://xboxclips.com/finalknight92/0deda26e-4360-4dc1-9af7-e7907208e9bb

Being a trapper and fudging your mobile arena is one of the worst feels in this game. I can hear my other 3 teammates sighing half away across the world. Anyway, I'm liking Griffin and Markov so far. I hate playing support because of the time it's just you shielding dudes. which I don't find very fun at all to be honest.

I still wanna get to unlock bucket, though.

I played a game earlier where I got trapped, hid in a corner and the trapper lowered the shield at which point I bolted straight past them.
I could feel the "D'oh".

Is there shame in getting killed by wildlife? All of a sudden I got jumped by this werewolf type creature

Damn Tyrants and Megamouths.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I managed a pretty nice no health damage match as goliath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWEHF7TGNZM

I downed daisy just a little bit too late which let the whole team come back which made me not expect to pull that off. Match itself was around 7 minutes so the intro got cut off, so this starts at a pretty fresh stage 2 when they were pretty close to me. Also the audio sync got thrown outta whack a bit into the video for some reason, the game wasn't like that.

I feel like people don't respect goliath enough. When they see it pop up in the lobby they just assume it's a newer player that just got tossed into the monster role, but that dude does work. Rock throw is so good.

Match where for a while Kraken had invisibility.
I think it was only for me, in that only I couldn't see it and everyone else could.
http://xboxclips.com/finalknight92/0deda26e-4360-4dc1-9af7-e7907208e9bb

I've had this happen to the monster and hunter team when I joined into an in progress match. Was weird as hell.

phoenixyz

The tranq dart seems really imbalanced with its unlimited range. At least on PC if the medic has some decent FPS experience he will always hit you even when you are essentially far gone. This thing seems to be made/balanced for controller aiming.

Mdk7

Any tips for starting abilities for Goliath? Kinda scared to jump in today for the first time...

Charge is the way to go, because it's a good option for attack and even a better option for defense (if you jump away, dash and then jump away again you instantly get out of the portable dome range zone).
Fire Breath is good for dealing damage from close distance, and the Leap Smash is great from attacking from afar.
Not a big fan of the Rock Throw honestly, as it's not always easy to aim at targets that are not really close to you.

Anyway, i am still fucking mad about the progression lost, i think i'm pretty much done with this game.
So frustrating, i'm really pissed off about this.

Any tips for starting abilities for Goliath? Kinda scared to jump in today for the first time...

You've gone through the tutorial right?
Abilities, Charge+Leap. Combat and mobility options.

The tranq dart seems really imbalanced with its unlimited range. At least on PC if the medic has some decent FPS experience he will always hit you even when you are essentially far gone. This thing seems to be made/balanced for controller aiming.

Until you play on a team without Val and a trapper who can't harpoon trap anything versus a Kraken who knows how to play and how to fly.

Circinae

Neo Member

Personally, against what you have already been told, I actually think going full into flame breath is a great starting choice for a new Goliath player.

You'll no doubt be spending your first games doing the old "run away and eat like a glutton" routine, until you get more confident in engaging the hunters. For this, having a hard to miss, fairly high damage, AOE power, is great for putting off stage one attacks. It'll also counter support stealth and give you some anti-Lazarus ability if he is selected.

Shinjica

Have to say my win/loss ratio is close to a 1.0 but since I hit lvl 20+ monsters know the cheap skills / patterns to choose to force a quick win. I won't go into detail but there is always a best monster for a easy win.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

MoonGred

Played some more rounds with support and a few with trapper - this one had me worried as I didn't want to fuck the game up, after one embarrassing dome I more or less figured it out and it was smooth sailing.
The support rounds really made the game click for me. Times when it felt that all hope was lost and Goliath was evolving lvl3 but you end up winning because of a perfectly placed orbital drop are so satisfying.
Still haven't played with the monster though.

Played today with my best friend and three random guys. Everyone had mics and it was fantastic. Evolve doesn't feel competitive so everyone is way more chill and out just to have fun. Community is really cool so far.

MoonGred

Played today with my best friend and three random guys. Everyone had mics and it was fantastic. Evolve doesn't feel competitive so everyone is way more chill and out just to have fun. Community is really cool so far.

Yea that's what I've noticed as well, the community has been amazing so far. No hostility whatsoever

Zeknurn

Yea that's what I've noticed as well, the community has been amazing so far. No hostility whatsoever

My experience has been the same. I wonder if it's because:

A) The setup of the game helps foster a more constructive and nice community
B) Matchmaking in some way?
C) Everyone that would be less desirable to play never bought the game in the first place because they are too busy fighting over DLC on Steam Reviews, Metacritic and various gaming forums.

Hopefully they will do a post-mortem or a GDC panel about it.

Sajjaja

Please guys, if you are going to play your first game, don't let it be as the trapper.

Lost all the games I wasn't the trapper today and it was my first session since launch. It's like people can't comprehend that as the trapper they cannot be at the back of the squad...

derFeef

Please guys, if you are going to play your first game, don't let it be as the trapper.

Lost all the games I wasn't the trapper today and it was my first session since launch. It's like people can't comprehend that as the trapper they cannot be at the back of the squad...

Did you tell them what to do? That would be helpful if I would play as the Trapper the first time ;)

I've found Reload Speed to be huge for Lazarus. Initially sounds like a weird pick but it affects his heal burst which means he can keep up with keeping everyone topped off a lot better.

I actually just tested with a stopwatch, it's normally ~15.7. With the lowest tier of reload speed that turns to ~13.4. The max for reload speed IIRC makes it around every 10 seconds if it's the same as the beta..

Yup, I prefer this for medics in general and it's especially hilarious if you find the albino megamouth with its Cooldown Reduction perk.

I really enjoy taking Quick Switch on Hank and Maggie. It lets me squeeze as much dps as I can out of Hank before switching to my shield; that shield animation is sooooooooo long. For Maggie, I spray my clip until it's empty, switch to my harpoon gun and lay a trap or two, and switch back. My gun will have reloaded by then and I just keep repeating this.

I tend to take Reload Speed on Bucket purely for his primary weapon, as again, that animation takes ages.

Lastly, I prefer more Capacity on both Markov and Hyde as opposed to Damage Bonus. Since both of their primaries have issues reaching the monster at times, this seems like it would give a greater damage bonus overall with more sustained DPS.

Any perks you all prefer for certain characters or monsters?

GravyButt

How do you get armor for the monsters? I was under the impression you ate? Maybe that one game I was a monster I glitched?

Also with sneak attacks, you are in sneak mode, do you just press the sneak button at a target again to do the sneak attack? Xb1 btw

Circinae

Neo Member
How do you get armor for the monsters? I was under the impression you ate? Maybe that one game I was a monster I glitched?

That is how you gain armour. Did you perhaps evolve up a stage? Doing so loses you all your current armour, so you have to feed up again.

Also with sneak attacks, you are in sneak mode, do you just press the sneak button at a target again to do the sneak attack? Xb1 btw

You have to hold it down and release when the creature is close enough to you. Once you are in the attack pose, you can no longer move. You'll see a red circle appear under the creature you are targeting. The different stages of evolution increase your pounce range and if you miss your leap, you come out of stealth.

CaLe

My game stutters like crazy even on medium (1080p) with a GTX 670... Sigh. I really wish I could play it properly.

Roussow

I really like the look of this game, everything about it looks super appealing, however, I won't be playing with friends, nor will I have a mic to use. Will I still get a good amount of joy out of playing with randoms via matchmaking? Or is this game a no-go without friends to play with.

Klyka

Banned
I have made a thing:

Oohpbqb.png

I think the people who play with me can attest that I know what I am talking about.
This is THE number one reason why monsters can run circles around the map and hunters complain about "not being able to catch the monster for 20 minutes".

Wraith, Kraken, Goliath, I've caught them all before and always like this. It is THE thing for a Trapper to know and super important for the team to do.

I am sure I will meet crazy monster players who are like Green Berets in the bushes, but for the normal players you face out there, this is what you want to do.

Circinae

Neo Member
Having never played with Klyka, I can attest to his claim of "knowing what I am doing", he is absolutely right about hunters chasing the tail of the monster.

Another thing I'll add that a surprising amount of people don't seem to do, is use their actual eyes. An awful lot of people clearly rely on HUD prompts and alerts, rather than stopping for a moment and actually observing the horizon or looking at animal corpses.

IcyEyes

I have made a thing:

Oohpbqb.png

I think the people who play with me can attest that I know what I am talking about.
This is THE number one reason why monsters can run circles around the map and hunters complain about "not being able to catch the monster for 20 minutes".

Wraith, Kraken, Goliath, I've caught them all before and always like this. It is THE thing for a Trapper to know and super important for the team to do.

I am sure I will meet crazy monster players who are like Green Berets in the bushes, but for the normal players you face out there, this is what you want to do.

You are right, but there is a big issue : the players.

I played 20 matches as hunter and I won 2 of them.

I'm a medic right now and *every* time I'm the only one who doesn't start to run behind the monster and *every* time the player who plays the trapper just does a silly work.
Things change when one of my friends joined to play as trapper and finally we are able to do a better job, but then the assault and/or the support start to play the match like a CoD match.

It's really frustrating running in a circle behind the monster for 10/15 minutes and confront him at stage 3 and most of the time no one cares to get an elevated position (for example).

I think it's only a matter of time and most of the people who play the hunters will start to play this game in a proper way.

It's funny because I played a couple match trying to meet the monster as soon as possible and I crossed the his path at stage one. I started to shoot a couple of darts and he run away at warp speed. I can understand this behavior, but also this mean people are pretty "insecure" to play as monster until they reach level 3.

This game need a lot of cooperation to be really enjoyed.
I fear this game will be forgotten before people became good at playing it.

so is this game fun? any good impressions so far?

Yes.

If you see people saying "running simulator 2015" its because they are bad at the game.

Simply put, the monster is faster than the hunters, and hunters keep chasing the monster.

Gotta play like gretzkey. Go where the monster is going to BE.

Klyka

Banned
Having never played with Klyka, I can attest to his claim of "knowing what I am doing", he is absolutely right about hunters chasing the tail of the monster.

Another thing I'll add that a surprising amount of people don't seem to do, is use their actual eyes. An awful lot of people clearly rely on HUD prompts and alerts, rather than stopping for a moment and actually observing the horizon or looking at animal corpses.

Yep, great point! Also, fallen trees! The monster even at stage 1 will knock over any "smaller" tree it walks against, even during sneak!
So if you see fallen trees, the monster was there!

b0bbyJ03

Yes.

If you see people saying "running simulator 2015" its because they are bad at the game.

Simply put, the monster is faster than the hunters, and hunters keep chasing the monster.

Gotta play like gretzkey. Go where the monster is going to BE.

good to hear. im on the fence about it. I'll wait till it settles in and the novelty wears off. If people still like it in a week or two ill probably bite.

good to hear. im on the fence about it. I'll wait till it settles in and the novelty wears off. If people still like it in a week or two ill probably bite.

Just dont get it if you want a traditional shooter. The best part of the game is the hunt. IF you play certain classes, you might not fire a shot and instead use supporting items most of the match. It plays very very different.

Theres times ive been medic and never stopped healing, didnt kill or shoot anything.

RS4-

Laz players should really fuck off and stop getting mad about revives. Some people just don't know the mechanic about it, other times they don't even have the time to get someone up before they bleed out.

All they have to do is say something in chat/voice, when the game starts, about not reviving someone of he can get to them.

And they need to fix Daisy ai when it comes to reviving, shit gets tiring when she's next to you or ally that is down and she's standing there until you're the last one.

Circinae

Neo Member
Just dont get it if you want a traditional shooter. The best part of the game is the hunt. IF you play certain classes, you might not fire a shot and instead use supporting items most of the match. It plays very very different.

Theres times ive been medic and never stopped healing, didnt kill or shoot anything.

I also feel there is another element to the very best matches and that is people creating a great atmosphere. A bit like in a Day Z style game, those who really get into the role make the matches the most exciting. For instance, when I play the monster, I love to try and lure people into traps and pick off/engage whenever I have a good opportunity to do so, rather than retreat all the time.

I have no doubt the more experience people get, the more they'll realise the need to engage more as teams get better, but still, it doesn't hurt to embrace being the stalker in the trees!

Klyka

Banned
The best feeling as hunter is when you are talking the whole time to your team,you coordinate and you are always directly in the monsters face.

Just pressure pressure pressure.

We did that last night and monster players are just not used to it.
They are used to having the map to themselves and doing a quick leap or two and be safe again. The moment you put them on the spot and you and three other people just push them hard from the beginning, a lot of them lose their shit.

I also feel there is another element to the very best matches and that is people creating a great atmosphere. A bit like in a Day Z style game, those who really get into the role make the matches the most exciting. For instance, when I play the monster, I love to try and lure people into traps and pick off/engage whenever I have a good opportunity to do so, rather than retreat all the time.

I have no doubt the more experience people get, the more they'll realise the need to engage more as teams get better, but still, it doesn't hurt to embrace being the stalker in the trees!

There was a time I was playing with 4 friends and we had the monster tagged, only the monster didnt know.

So he was hiding in these bushes under a rock, clear as day.

It was awesome trying to play off we didnt see him while trying to get into position. Then we had the trapper throw the mobile arena right on top of him while the assault unloaded an airstrike with a damage buff...took him down in seconds after.

felt awesome

Bizazedo

Val + Hank + Griffin are amazing. Y Hello thar, monster!

You're going nowhere. And here comes the airstrike....

We're actually thinking of having our Assault switch from Markov to Parnell simply because Val and Griffin can lock the monster down so quickly and tightly, it'll give us a better chance to get the kill in two minutes trophy.

Klyka

Banned
How much damage do the Medics snipers do? i.e., Val's and Lazarus'?

Both do decent damage, especially if they hit the head/their own weakspots.
Lazarus especially can do some damn fine damage when really laying into the monsters head.

If you headshot as Val,you can clearly see a nice little chunk of monster HP drop.

I have made a thing:

Oohpbqb.png

The devs playing constantly break into smaller groups to cut off the monster.

derFeef

Pretty excited to play today now, maybe we can form a team and I hopefully do not drag the team down ;) Or suck as monster...

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Loving this game the more and more I play it! I really fucking wish there was a way to be the monster even if you're in a party during matchmaking though. I can see why it would be disabled but damn when I'm playing with my bro it'd be cool to be able to be the monster sometimes.

Man. I've unlocked all the monsters in the offline mode, but am terrified of actually playing online when people like Klyka exist. XD

Top Bottom