• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Which assault?

Though ultimately it's more on the other teammates since assault himself can't really do much about its movement. One thing I find pretty useful is just use the normal jetpack and attack while floating around in midar. Usually fuel management is a big part of fighting Kraken, but the personal shield can be popped on his big damage dealers like lightning strike so he is less reliant on saving some for a boost.

Well, I'm a big fan of all 3. If I know i'm up against the Kraken I stay away from Hyde. Typically whenever I go in for the damage I just end up getting myself downed, becoming more of a burden than actual help.

I'm a solid assault player - I think, but I just suck vs the Kraken. I'm not sure if it's me or just a bad match up in general. I heard if you just kinda hide behind cover and shoot at his head you can get some decent damage, but I don't want my team yelling at me for playing assault wrong lol

1337Sauce

Looking to make a party right now on XB1. PM your gamertags! I don't really care what class I am, however I really only do have experience playing Assault so far.

Damn you buttholes making me want to buy this.

And that infographic right there from Turtle Rock is incredible. The amount of balancing they put into this game is just ridiculous. Almost a perfect 50/50 split on wins.

Damn you buttholes making me want to buy this.

And that infographic right there from Turtle Rock is incredible. The amount of balancing they put into this game is just ridiculous. Almost a perfect 50/50 split on wins.

We'll see when more people unlock the Wraith.

Please don't nerf it again TR

MoonGred

Thanks for all the medic tips, I'll mess around with some bot matches first.

Is it me or isn't there any beginner/obsolete hunter. They all seem to play a pretty pivotal roll. Which isn't a bad thing at all

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
So tempted to buy this but none of my friends are interested :(

Randoms aren't all bad. Last night I had a good game and a bad one. The two Hunters you absolutely need to be on point are Medic and Trapper, Support and Assault have a lot more leeway for error.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well, I'm a big fan of all 3. If I know i'm up against the Kraken I stay away from Hyde. Typically whenever I go in for the damage I just end up getting myself downed, becoming more of a burden than actual help.

I'm a solid assault player - I think, but I just suck vs the Kraken. I'm not sure if it's me or just a bad match up in general. I heard if you just kinda hide behind cover and shoot at his head you can get some decent damage, but I don't want my team yelling at me for playing assault wrong lol

Nah, if Assault can't be right in the monster's face that's more on the teammates. Best you can really do otherwise is pelt with their mid/long range weapon until he gets dropped to the ground.

Randoms aren't all bad. Last night I had a good game and a bad one. The two Hunters you absolutely need to be on point are Medic and Trapper, Support and Assault have a lot more leeway for error.

Yeah, before when I was playing with one friend we basically tried our hardest to cover those two roles.

MoonGred

So tempted to buy this but none of my friends are interested :(

The 4 games I played yesterday were all with randoms, none of them wandered off by themselves, which was what I was worried about the most. Granted I don't really know what I'm doing just yet.

Maybe we he unfounded hate for this game might pay off in the form of having playable pugs, because only people really interested in it jumped in.

https://twitter.com/evolvegame/status/565725567816040449

YXn0Zjz.jpg

1.2 million matches since launch. Pretty balanced if you ask me.

1.2m matches across 3 platforms? Hm.

Lazarus has become my fucking bane for whenever I play goliath.

I never lost in hunt as the monster. I decided to try my hand at evacuation. This team was so crack tight it was insane. The assault would lay down mines everywhere limiting my movement, the trapper kept shooting traps down stopping me constantly, and the support would lay down orbital strikes down on me....

and then there is fucking Lazarus. This asshole keeps bringing people back from the dead. I thought, ok I'll prioritize him, but nope.

He peppers me with weakpoints from a high point, cloaks when I come after him and then revives the person I downed twice already with full health again.

These hunt matches took 20 minutes or more. I wrecked them in nest and rescue.... and because the 4th match was a hunt... I got fucked with their inpenatrable defense with turrets+mines+traps all over the place.

I got super close, but there defense was too good, even when I was keeping my distance as kraken

Awesome story and as a typical medic player in most games myself, I think Lazarus is gonna be my main now :)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The 4 games I played yesterday were all with randoms, none of them wandered off by themselves, which was what I was worried about the most. Granted I don't really know what I'm doing just yet.

Maybe we he unfounded hate for this game might pay off in the form of having playable pugs, because only people really interested in it jumped in.

will i get hated on since im a noob?

-Deimos

Awesome story and as a typical medic player in most games myself, I think Lazarus is gonna be my main now :)

At higher levels, a team with Laz is the easiest to take down. A good monster won't give the hunters a chance to revive each other and no healing makes it a quick fight.

Being a trapper and fudging your mobile arena is one of the worst feels in this game. I can hear my other 3 teammates sighing half away across the world. Anyway, I'm liking Griffin and Markov so far. I hate playing support because of the time it's just you shielding dudes. which I don't find very fun at all to be honest.

I still wanna get to unlock bucket, though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Being a trapper and fudging your mobile arena is one of the worst feels in this game. I can hear my other 3 teammates sighing half away across the world. Anyway, I'm liking Griffin and Markov so far. I hate playing support because of the time it's just you shielding dudes. which I don't find very fun at all to be honest.

"You had ONE JOB" x3 lol

i know that feel :(

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Bucket is awesome. Great at tracking the monster and the turrets constantly annoy the monster and draw attention away from other hunters. Support class is also good at reviving teammates mid battle with the cloak.

Papercuts

I've found Reload Speed to be huge for Lazarus. Initially sounds like a weird pick but it affects his heal burst which means he can keep up with keeping everyone topped off a lot better.

I actually just tested with a stopwatch, it's normally ~15.7. With the lowest tier of reload speed that turns to ~13.4. The max for reload speed IIRC makes it around every 10 seconds if it's the same as the beta.

Maybe. :p If you hear people with mics in dont be afraid to plug in and say it's your first match or something, this community seems to be better than most with helping out new players.

I am I am, GT is Nightmare22m.

Alright, I just added you.

-Deimos

I've found Reload Speed to be huge for Lazarus. Initially sounds like a weird pick but it affects his heal burst which means he can keep up with keeping everyone topped off a lot better.

I actually just tested with a stopwatch, it's normally ~15.7. With the lowest tier of reload speed that turns to ~13.4. The max for reload speed IIRC makes it around every 10 seconds if it's the same as the beta.

Alright, I just added you.

I can't remember, does damage boost affect Caira's healing grenades?

Anyone on PC experiencing crashes to desktop?

I had this happen 3 times today. :(
Yes. I've also seen it happen to streamers (including one of the devs), so I'm pretty sure it's just the game. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Anyway, I was thinking how much of a missed opportunity it was to NOT get Pearl Jam - Do The Evolution in the game. Would've been awesome for the commercial too.

madmackem

Medics yall shouldnt be running off on your own to kill the monster, heck the monster should be secondary in your mind just sit behind your team and heal.

lol

Man, just had the most exhilarating match so far. Day one of Evac, I am Goliath. Enemy team is full of human players and they are damn good. Bucket is using his UAV and is spotting me a lot, and they split up really well and cut me off more than a few times. I armor up on stage one and get enough meat to evolve but I cannot find a safe spot to do so. I am climbing a wall when the dome falls, I think they have me, but either by glitch or by lag (probably lag, the servers are garbage on Xbone right now) I finish climbing and then go through the dome to safety. They continue to chase me though and get half my armor down. I find a quiet area and evolve.

Right as I take control of the monster again, Hyde is on me. I run away, and the cat and mouse game begins again. For every 4 wildlife animals I kill, I maybe get a chance to feed on one, or part of one. But they are not as good at cornering me or cutting me off now. I have downed a couple of them once, and I have started hitting the big wildlife guys to get them riled up then running off and leaving them for the hunters in pursuit. I get full armor, but am trapped in a dome. I lose half the armor before downing the trapper, and its Maggie's third strike so she dies and I am free.

I run off trying to find wildlife to reach stage 3. I've been running around killing so many things and not feeding on them, I am worrying that I have simply ate almost all the wildlife on the map. I find a few more and get about 75% armor and meat up enough to reach stage 3. I start to evolve, but smell Hyde near. I say fuck it and sneak to a corner, and pounce on him. I get him to 25% health before his team shows up (this is a downside to splitting up). The trapper throws their dome, some fire and rock kills her and the dome is gone but I smell blood. Hyde has been healed to maybe 60% health so I go after him. He dies next. I made sure to completely kill and eat Maggie and then Hyde, even though the medic was Caira and there was no need to worry about that goddamn Lazarus device, I ate them anyway. To me it's kind of like teabagging in Evolve. Anyway, I target Bucket next and he goes down pretty easily. By now all my armor is gone and I am at maybe 70% health. The battle happened to have took place mostly in a long corridor on the back of one of the maps. It made their mines and turrets more effective, but also made my fire and melee attacks that much harder to escape.

Caira makes a run for an open space and I hit her with a rock and then beat her to death. By now I am realizing I completely forgot to kill off Bucket, and of course Daisy has revived it. I finish Caira off and devour her. Bucket is running for it. I chase him down and breathe fire on him. He expends his entire jetpack launching high, high into the air, and I just wait for him to come down and then do a ground smash. I check the timer... about 65 seconds. More than enough time to finish off the last hunter. It's Maggie, so of course she is just sitting in a wide open area doing nothing. But she does run when she sees me, but cannot outrun my fire. Goliath wins. 19 minutes IIRC. Hate mail from 2 of the 4 hunters post game asking why I suck so much. It just made the anticipation for day 2 of evacuation all the stronger. Apparently I get rewarded in day two with flooded areas of the map that now contain man eating eels. Awesome!

Game then disconnects and tells me server lost connection and boots me back to main menu. This fucking game.

maneil99

Might take a break from this game for a bit till its fixed. The wraith is simply anti fun. Its not impossible to beat, but its just not fun to track for 15 minutes until its stage 3 and ready to fight. Everything about it stands contrary to what a game is suppose to be, fun. TurtleRock knew this and nerfed it post beta but there are tons of threads in the games forums and the majority feel the same. It can move the lenght of a dome with its abilties easily, and while recharging those it can go invisible. Traps are useless as they are destroyed by its dash ability. Ugh just not fun. Backing out and leaving 3 randoms alone with it isnt ideal either.

Might take a break from this game for a bit till its fixed. The wraith is simply anti fun. Its not impossible to beat, but its just not fun to track for 15 minutes until its stage 3 and ready to fight. Everything about it stands contrary to what a game is suppose to be, fun. TurtleRock knew this and nerfed it post beta but there are tons of threads in the games forums and the majority feel the same. It can move the lenght of a dome with its abilties easily, and while recharging those it can go invisible. Traps are useless as they are destroyed by its dash ability. Ugh just not fun. Backing out and leaving 3 randoms alone with it isnt ideal either.

I'd give it at least a couple of weeks before crying out for more nerfs. After Destiny and even how impossible it seemed as a monster to deal with a highly coordinated team of hunters, I'm very wary for such calls.

maneil99

I'd give it at least a couple of weeks before crying out for more nerfs. After Destiny and even how impossible it seemed as a monster to deal with a highly coordinated team of hunters, I'm very wary for such calls.

The thing is they nerfed the damage not the fact that the reason people can't stand playing against her is that she can choose when to and when not to engage. She can be killed but its just not fun, shes not overpowered like I said, there is just no mechanic in the game to prevent her from disengaging.

-Deimos

Remember not to get distracted by the decoy.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The thing is they nerfed the damage not the fact that the reason people can't stand playing against her is that she can choose when to and when not to engage. She can be killed but its just not fun, shes not overpowered like I said, there is just no mechanic in the game to prevent her from disengaging.

what mode are you playing?

because wraith typically has to win before stage 3 in hunt imo.

Papercuts

Yeah, I agree.

I have had some unfun matches against Wraith mostly just because it turns into a slow, dragged out 20 minute win where the wraith just slips away the entire game, goes level 3 and can't really dent the relay because full blown fights where people are laying down traps are really bad for her. I'm waiting for people to get better with her and realize they need to actually engage and not just run away and decoy hide constantly. They need to be getting those strikes on people which ends up being more fun for the hunter team anyway.

maneil99

Hunt. Like I said when she is forced into a fight at the relay she's killable. I'm not arguing she's op. It's when she doesn't want to engage or on the run that is in fun. The decoy can be easily ignored. It's the fact her mobility allows her to move from one side of a dome to another while destroying harpoons and mines

I'd rather see the wraith lose some mobility and make engagements easier while buffer her late game.

ruery_iv

Neo Member
Ranked top 200 world on PC, and lvl 23...

Have to say my win/loss ratio is close to a 1.0 but since I hit lvl 20+ monsters know the cheap skills / patterns to choose to force a quick win. I won't go into detail but there is always a best monster for a easy win.

As of right now I think monsters have a good advantage.. just because the level of coordination you need at hunters has a higher skill cap for what needs to happen. You also have to guess what the monster will choose and decide how you counter it. Some modes / monsters are unable to be countered. But yeah... expect to face roll the first 10 levels of monsters you're match made against.

Luck has a lot to do with it too.

And for whoever posted that 50/50 screen shot of wins for each side, go look at the leader boards for monsters... some have 80+ wins with no loss. It's possible to be on point every game you go into as monster, but for a hunter that 100 is only a 1/4 chance. My advice is to find a good group and stick with it.

Last tip - matchmaking will force you to get better, you wont ever play scrubs when you hit a certain level. Its basically the halo 2 number averaging solution if you remember that.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I hate the bug (was present in the beta too) when you search for a game in evacuation and you choose coop or versus sometimes the game put you in a server of skirmish(hunt only) with the particularity of this server only have 1 map and repeats over and over.

This is in the xbox one.

Top Bottom