• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

I have made a thing:

Oohpbqb.png

I think the people who play with me can attest that I know what I am talking about.
This is THE number one reason why monsters can run circles around the map and hunters complain about "not being able to catch the monster for 20 minutes".

Wraith, Kraken, Goliath, I've caught them all before and always like this. It is THE thing for a Trapper to know and super important for the team to do.

I am sure I will meet crazy monster players who are like Green Berets in the bushes, but for the normal players you face out there, this is what you want to do.

9/10

:)

Circinae

Neo Member
Loving this game the more and more I play it! I really fucking wish there was a way to be the monster even if you're in a party during matchmaking though. I can see why it would be disabled but damn when I'm playing with my bro it'd be cool to be able to be the monster sometimes.

I know it isn't the same as matchmaking, but you can at least go against your brother in custom games.

AEREC

So I dont really have any friends who would play this, is it still fun if I am by myself? Is the monster side geared towards the lone wolf online gamer type?

Ardenyal

Is hitting the power relay bugged?

So fucking annoying when you are level 3 with full armor and full health only to not be able to win because you cant hit the power relay. The team kept Lazarus reviving so I went ham on the relay... three wipes of the team (except Lazarus the slimy bastard), 20 minutes smashing and the damn thing is still at 50% health.

Do I need to be positioned correctly or something to trigger the correct animation? No abilities seemed to do any damage to the relay

mbmonk

I have made a thing:

Oohpbqb.png

I think the people who play with me can attest that I know what I am talking about.
This is THE number one reason why monsters can run circles around the map and hunters complain about "not being able to catch the monster for 20 minutes".

Wraith, Kraken, Goliath, I've caught them all before and always like this. It is THE thing for a Trapper to know and super important for the team to do.

I am sure I will meet crazy monster players who are like Green Berets in the bushes, but for the normal players you face out there, this is what you want to do.

I think cut off tactic would happen more if the game had a mini map on the screen during gameplay. I am sure there is a reason TR left it out, but especially earlier in the games lifecycle the follow monster texhinique is going to be standard because people dont know the maps.

I only played the beta, but to my knowledge the final version doesn't have a mini map during gameplay. I think you have to bring up the pause menu.

I think cut off tactic would happen more if the game had a mini map on the screen during gameplay. I am sure there is a reason TR left it out, but especially earlier in the games lifecycle the follow monster texhinique is going to be standard because people dont know the maps.

I only played the beta, but to my knowledge the final version doesn't have a mini map during gameplay. I think you have to bring up the pause menu.

You can bring up the map at any time while playing with full control of your character, but it does disable some HUD elements while it's pulled up.

Zeknurn

So fucking annoying when you are level 3 with full armor and full health only to not be able to win because you cant hit the power relay. The team kept Lazarus reviving so I went ham on the relay... three wipes of the team (except Lazarus the slimy bastard), 20 minutes smashing and the damn thing is still at 50% health.

Do I need to be positioned correctly or something to trigger the correct animation? No abilities seemed to do any damage to the relay

You can't damage the power relay when the Hunters are shooting at you. They disable your ability to do damage towards it.

deoee

To the one who said something about the leaderboard and first placed Monster Player earlier:

At this time there is a trick in the game to not get any loss by simply leaving the game shortly before you lose. I encountered that behavior several times yesterday where the monster switched to npc right before dying.

That's why numero uno has wins only

Aptos

You need to use the standard melee, but at least you can hold it down rather than having to spam it. Abilities do no damage to it. You should be able to take it out in like 40 seconds.

mbmonk

You can bring up the map at any time while playing with full control of your character, but it does disable some HUD elements while it's pulled up.

Thanks for the clarification. Since the game cannot be paused there is no "pause" screen but I could find the right word to describe it. :)

Thanks again.

Circinae

Neo Member
So I dont really have any friends who would play this, is it still fun if I am by myself? Is the monster side geared towards the lone wolf online gamer type?

The monster is entirely for that purpose and it is very immersive. To play as the monster in matchmaking (non-custom/solo games), you must be on your own as you cannot select it as a role choice once you are partied with someone. Any review saying this is not a game for lone wolf players is straight up misleading you.

Playing as a hunter alone is more subjective. As with any team multiplayer game, you are in part, at the mercy of your fellow team-mates and their latent skill. If you are like me and have never been bothered about playing with people who are new/rubbish or don't mind losing some games, it is very fun as a solo experience as well. Some people have no tolerance for bad team-work though, so that'll be for you to decide.

One word of note, you won't always get to play the monster as it tries to match people up based on the role they want the most, but you can't always get your preferred choice.

njean777

I really like the look of this game, everything about it looks super appealing, however, I won't be playing with friends, nor will I have a mic to use. Will I still get a good amount of joy out of playing with randoms via matchmaking? Or is this game a no-go without friends to play with.

Umm if you don't have friends than you need a mic, no point in playing with somebody that doesn't communicate. Even with friends you should have a mic.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do you really need to talk to other people when playing the hunters?

I would be sitting down and playing this for short bursts when I get a chance, so that means randoms. I never want to speak to another random person on an online service ever again.

Is this game not for me?

CozMick

Banned
I can't access the multiplayer on ps4, every other game is fine but I get a message along the lines of "you need to connect to psn to access multiplayer" :(

Just started happening in the last half hour.

Ardenyal

I would be sitting down and playing this for short bursts when I get a chance, so that means randoms. I never want to speak to another random person on an online service ever again.

Is this game not for me?

In my opinion the game offers enough information through HUD to not need voice comms. Playing with randoms I have never felt the need to unmute my mic. You can ping the map which is always quicker than trying to describe a location.

Circinae

Neo Member

Is this game not for me?

I've always been a person who likes to get immersed into games so I never use mics and always mute everyone else in pretty much every multiplayer game I play. Without too much tooting of my own horn, I consider myself a fairly good player in general, so I imagine I have rarely bothered people. Nobody ever complains via text, at least.

This game is great for the atmosphere and the characters have constant status and situation updates via in-game dialogue, it is great. Listening for stomping monsters is a big part of it.

Bond007

I can't access the multiplayer on ps4, every other game is fine but I get a message along the lines of "you need to connect to psn to access multiplayer" :(

Just started happening in the last half hour.

Same
Really wanted to play... Guess i will play some GTAV

Klyka

Banned

No, you press the map button and it literally puts the map on yur screen while you can run around.

Klyka

Banned
Yes, but it literally disables other HUD elements.

Mini map would make it more fluid than the map menu.

It's not supposed to be fluid. You are supposed to switch between it and lose some information while gaining other.
This way the map is also not taking screen space during the most important moment of the game: the actual fight against the monster.

Bizazedo

Splitting up to cut off the monster in pairs of two makes sense and is fairly obvious, but the monster riling up the animal life to attack the hunters? Is that a thing?

Might explain one game where it felt like us hunters were getting attacked by animals excessively in one game, if so.

Circinae

Neo Member
Splitting up to cut off the monster in pairs of two makes sense and is fairly obvious, but the monster riling up the animal life to attack the hunters? Is that a thing?

Might explain one game where it felt like us hunters were getting attacked by animals excessively in one game, if so.

I've not tried stirring up the animals, but I have left intentional tracks to Tyrant ponds and other large nasties.

mbmonk

It's not supposed to be fluid. You are supposed to switch between it and lose some information while gaining other.
This way the map is also not taking screen space during the most important moment of the game: the actual fight against the monster.

If its not fluid and easy then its going to be used less and thus the "follow the monster" texhinique is going to be employed more often. Especially this early in the games life cycle.

That was my main point. Thank you for your reply.

Klyka

Banned
If its not fluid and easy then its going to be used less and thus the "follow the monster" texhinique is going to be employed more often. Especially this early in the games life cycle.

That was my main point. Thank you for your reply.

Well honestly, for me personally it is fluid cause I just have it up at all times and only take it down when someone pings or when birds go up. I also use it to check on Daisy when she's not around me (I love playing Maggie, i actually have a Daisy skin <3 ).

I know what you are saying but I am quite happy to not have a constant minimap taking up space.

mbmonk

Well honestly, for me personally it is fluid cause I just have it up at all times and only take it down when someone pings or when birds go up. I also use it to check on Daisy when she's not around me (I love playing Maggie, i actually have a Daisy skin <3 ).

I know what you are saying but I am quite happy to not have a constant minimap taking up space.

Agreed. When i played as the trapper in the beta I had the map up all the time, but my teammates didn't seem to know it existed. :) but it was a beta. Hardly anyone knew :)

Mini map becomes almost 100 percent useless as the life cycle goes on. Once all parties playing know the maps, combined with the in game HUD and notications ( monster sniff/ area sense abilities). So I understand its ommision.

Klyka

Banned
Agreed. When i played as the trapper in the beta I had the map up all the time, but my teammates didn't seem to know it existed. :) but it was a beta. Hardly anyone knew :)

Mini map becomes almost 100 percent useless as the life cycle goes on. Once all parties playing know the maps, combined with the in game HUD and notications ( monster sniff/ area sense abilities). So I understand its ommision.

I use it as what it is: A satellite view of the current information I have.
It's invaluable to always know where your team is and where the monster is, where chokepoints are, etc...
I look at how my team is fanned out when we try to corner a monster and can immediately go "assault head south please, support go directly east".

Love the map.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Were you just hitting it normally or holding down the button for the animation?

It basically does no damage to attack it normally, and the animation is the same as eating where getting shot interrupts it.

Yup, I prefer this for medics in general and it's especially hilarious if you find the albino megamouth with its Cooldown Reduction perk.

I really enjoy taking Quick Switch on Hank and Maggie. It lets me squeeze as much dps as I can out of Hank before switching to my shield; that shield animation is sooooooooo long. For Maggie, I spray my clip until it's empty, switch to my harpoon gun and lay a trap or two, and switch back. My gun will have reloaded by then and I just keep repeating this.

I tend to take Reload Speed on Bucket purely for his primary weapon, as again, that animation takes ages.

Lastly, I prefer more Capacity on both Markov and Hyde as opposed to Damage Bonus. Since both of their primaries have issues reaching the monster at times, this seems like it would give a greater damage bonus overall with more sustained DPS.

Any perks you all prefer for certain characters or monsters?

I think I play Hank way too defensively in general, but I typically go capacity on him to get more out of the shield. Even if he's a support I just pick damage boost for Bucket since I figure that would stack with all of his turrets out. Not sure about Cabot yet.

I pretty much always go jetpack fuel or movement speed as any of the trappers so I can be more aggressive moving around. I might try item switch with Abe though, since I've found switching to the dart/grenade made me miss some good opportunities.

I've used capacity for markov and damage reduction for hyde. Parnell I've been using health regen since you can super soldier + shield and regain some of it, but I haven't played in parnell in a group and mostly did that because I wasn't sure if the random medic would have kept up.

AEREC

The monster is entirely for that purpose and it is very immersive. To play as the monster in matchmaking (non-custom/solo games), you must be on your own as you cannot select it as a role choice once you are partied with someone. Any review saying this is not a game for lone wolf players is straight up misleading you.

Playing as a hunter alone is more subjective. As with any team multiplayer game, you are in part, at the mercy of your fellow team-mates and their latent skill. If you are like me and have never been bothered about playing with people who are new/rubbish or don't mind losing some games, it is very fun as a solo experience as well. Some people have no tolerance for bad team-work though, so that'll be for you to decide.

One word of note, you won't always get to play the monster as it tries to match people up based on the role they want the most, but you can't always get your preferred choice.

Great...thanks for the info.

Klyka

Banned
It's so weird how big of a disconnect there is between playing hunter and monster for me.

As the monster,I feel like my abilites do 0 damage. I can't down people, my armor melts in seconds. I mean,I only ever played 4 rounds of it compared to countless rounds as hunter.
Guess I just need more practice.

It's so weird how big of a disconnect there is between playing hunter and monster for me.

As the monster,I feel like my abilites do 0 damage. I can't down people, my armor melts in seconds. I mean,I only ever played 4 rounds of it compared to countless rounds as hunter.
Guess I just need more practice.

How are you fighting? Are you going all in on people? What monster are you using? Goliath?

Klyka

Banned
How are you fighting? Are you going all in on people? What monster are you using? Goliath?

I only have Goliath cause I never play monster. It's like, I know HOW to play it. It's just that I can never properly do damage to the hunters at all. Like my attacks are made of tickling them. When i play Hunter and a monster hits me, i lose like 30% of my health. When i hit a hunter, I don't even see his HP move most of the time.

Again, probably ust practice. I also need to get used to the animation queueing on the monster.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

i do it all the time

especially knowing that hunters typically stick to paths... hell, i'm trying to work on my track placement right now to position hunters where they can be more easily thrown into deep water
Yup, I prefer this for medics in general and it's especially hilarious if you find the albino megamouth with its Cooldown Reduction perk.

I really enjoy taking Quick Switch on Hank and Maggie. It lets me squeeze as much dps as I can out of Hank before switching to my shield; that shield animation is sooooooooo long. For Maggie, I spray my clip until it's empty, switch to my harpoon gun and lay a trap or two, and switch back. My gun will have reloaded by then and I just keep repeating this.

I tend to take Reload Speed on Bucket purely for his primary weapon, as again, that animation takes ages.

Lastly, I prefer more Capacity on both Markov and Hyde as opposed to Damage Bonus. Since both of their primaries have issues reaching the monster at times, this seems like it would give a greater damage bonus overall with more sustained DPS.

Any perks you all prefer for certain characters or monsters?

jetpack regen perk is amazing

i need better monster perks right now though

jiggles

Banned
I've already double-dipped on this and bought the Steam version to go with my PS4 version. Spent £50 on Digital Deluxe version for PS4 and now it's pretty unlikely I'll go back to it. Live and learn, I suppose.

Hard to believe this was me only 3 weeks ago.

CozMick

Banned
He has seen the true power of the PC

(I think because a lot of problems on consoles with the game)

Oh right, I thought he wasnt gonna play either version anymore.

What exactly is wrong with the ps4 version? I've been playing for almost 2 days and have had zero problems.

Klyka

Banned
Btw, a lot of people say that the assault is not useful that much while actually hunting the monster down.

In my opinion, that is false. The assault is the only class who can stand up 1v1 to the monster for a bit because of his shield. He is a perfect "blocker" to cut off the monster or to force it towards a direction because most monsters will think twice before engaging with an assault.

Important not to split up TOO massively of curse or else the assault will be downed before he has help.

Note that his shield works against the monsters pounce btw.

jiggles

Banned
Ummm why would you do that?

One of my online gaming buddies bought it on PC.

I justified it to myself by reasoning that the price of the PC version that I bought (which included the day 1 bonuses), was about equal to the saving I made on the PS4 version I bought. The difference is that I'm short the season pass on PC now, but my season pass on PS4 was useless anyway because I discovered after buying that the DLC is all account-locked and it wasn't bought on my main account.

I fucked up my purchase on console by trying to save money. I got a better version with the money I saved. Not a disaster, but an expensive mistake.

CozMick

Banned
One of my online gaming buddies bought it on PC.

I justified it to myself by reasoning that the price of the PC version that I bought (which included the day 1 bonuses), was about equal to the saving I made on the PS4 version I bought. The difference is that I'm short the season pass on PC now, but my season pass on PS4 was useless anyway because I discovered after buying that the DLC is all account-locked and it wasn't bought on my main account.

I fucked up my purchase on console by trying to save money. I got a better version with the money I saved.

I understand, I assumed you didn't like the game on both platforms and stopped playing altogether :p

jiggles

Banned
Btw, a lot of people say that the assault is not useful that much while actually hunting the monster down.

In my opinion, that is false. The assault is the only class who can stand up 1v1 to the monster for a bit because of his shield. He is a perfect "blocker" to cut off the monster or to force it towards a direction because most monsters will think twice before engaging with an assault.

Important not to split up TOO massively of curse or else the assault will be downed before he has help.

Note that his shield works against the monsters pounce btw.

Assault's the best class against the wildlife. Keeps your team's momentum up by keeping them out of trouble. And if Assault just fries anything it runs past, there's less food for the monster and plenty of buffs for the team to go around. A lot of people are underestimating the neutral game. Some of the buffs from albinos make a huge difference.

Top Bottom