• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

He has seen the true power of the PC

(I think because a lot of problems on consoles with the game)
What's wrong with the console versions? I haven't had any issues on the PS4 and I've been playing for a few days now. It seems like a majority of game issues in this thread have been on PC due to either game disconnects or crash to desktop.

Klyka

Banned
What's wrong with the console versions? I haven't had any issues on the PS4 and I've been playing for a few days now. It seems like a majority of game issues in this thread have been on PC due to either game disconnects or crash to desktop.

Well the Xbone has that profile deletion stuff going on and some PS4 players have said how their matchmaking barely works.

I don't have any info,I am sure the general console versions are fine, that's just what I have been reading.

jiggles

Banned

There's nothing wrong with the PS4 version. It's a nicer experience on PC, but the console version is still great. The main reason I'm unlikely to go back to PS4 now is that nobody I usually play online with bought it. The pad controls are a little more awkward on top of that (but that's helped out with some generous aim assist), so it's just easier to do what I want to with K&M.

Btw, a lot of people say that the assault is not useful that much while actually hunting the monster down.

In my opinion, that is false. The assault is the only class who can stand up 1v1 to the monster for a bit because of his shield. He is a perfect "blocker" to cut off the monster or to force it towards a direction because most monsters will think twice before engaging with an assault.

Important not to split up TOO massively of curse or else the assault will be downed before he has help.

Note that his shield works against the monsters pounce btw.

My groups all have used our Assault as a blunt instrument/buffer for the uber creatures and the actual monster. Use him to tear them down and get us all buffed as we're moving to intercept the beasty. Yeah this game snuck up on me big time, i really didn't click with it in the beta but now that I have spent some time with it I feel like I am just scratching the surface and that's always a good feeling in any game.

So did this game suddenly become un-terrible since the Alpha/Beta? Serious question. GAF seemingly took a collective dump on the game, which I agreed with.

I played the ever loving shit out of L4D and L4D 2 (completely unrelated, I know) but what I played of Turtle Rock's latest was not impressive in the least.

Klyka

Banned
My groups all have used our Assault as a blunt instrument/buffer for the uber creatures and the actual monster. Use him to tear them down and get us all buffed as we're moving to intercept the beasty. Yeah this game snuck up on me big time, i really didn't click with it in the beta but now that I have spent some time with it I feel like I am just scratching the surface and that's always a good feeling in any game.

You know what my favorite thing about this game is so far?

I am reading multiple threads about it where tons of people comment.

And so far there is no concensus on who is "the best" character. Or what is the "best" monster for this map or that mode.

Now,we are early in release but the betas gave entire days of playtime and we got the press release for many people too.

I am glad nothing has been put to a min/max concensus just yet.

So did this game suddenly become un-terrible since the Alpha/Beta? Serious question. GAF seemingly took a collective dump on the game, which I agreed with.

I played the ever loving shit out of L4D and L4D 2 (completely unrelated, I know) but what I played of Turtle Rock's latest was not impressive in the least.

for me personally, I barely played the ALpha but liked what I saw.
Then in the beta i played more but only ever with randoms and it kinda turned me off of the game.
But I kept seeing footage and streams and I just really wanted to play it.
Now that I picked it up I have only played with friends and people from GAF in communicating and good groups.
The game is INSANELY fun for me now.

I think I play Hank way too defensively in general, but I typically go capacity on him to get more out of the shield. Even if he's a support I just pick damage boost for Bucket since I figure that would stack with all of his turrets out. Not sure about Cabot yet.

I pretty much always go jetpack fuel or movement speed as any of the trappers so I can be more aggressive moving around. I might try item switch with Abe though, since I've found switching to the dart/grenade made me miss some good opportunities.

I've used capacity for markov and damage reduction for hyde. Parnell I've been using health regen since you can super soldier + shield and regain some of it, but I haven't played in parnell in a group and mostly did that because I wasn't sure if the random medic would have kept up.

I used to pick Capacity with Hank but found I was rarely using all of the default shield. Even for the times that I did, I found that it recharged fast enough that I didn't really see the benefit of having more. Damage Boost is a good idea for Bucket. He's a bit of an odd one who can benefit from a lot of different perks. I also like using Movement Speed or Jetpack Recharge so I can regroup with my team after UAVing faster. I think Reload/Recharge would be best for Cabot since it boosts the use of every single piece of his kit.

I'm a bit torn on what to use with the other trappers. Item Switch may end up working nicely with Abe but I'd probably like Reload/Recharge with Griffin. His harpoon gun takes so long to reload and I love using it.

Very interesting choice for Parnell as he's one of the few I have yet to find my ideal perk(s) for yet. I can see the synergy here so I'll have to give a try sometime.

jetpack regen perk is amazing

It's pretty nice but I find myself using it less and less. You could use it on anyone and see the benefit but I rarely find myself thinking, "If only I had more fuel!"

Well, unless the stupid no fuel climb messes up due to whacky geometry, causing me to plummet into a death pit with the monster.

Jesus, the Trapper is important. I played a few games last night and every time the guy I queued with (hi Sajjaja) wasn't the trapper we lost.

Yup, the trapper single handedly sets the tempo of the match.

No pressure!

You know what my favorite thing about this game is so far?

I am reading multiple threads about it where tons of people comment.

And so far there is no concensus on who is "the best" character. Or what is the "best" monster for this map or that mode.

Now,we are early in release but the betas gave entire days of playtime and we got the press release for many people too.

I am glad nothing has been put to a min/max concensus just yet.

I am game to play any character that's needed, they are really versatile in very different ways and leave a lot of latitude for cool team-ups and your own personal playstyle. Someone compared it to a fighting game in that respect and I have to agree. They really seem to have done their homework on keeping things balanced. A level 3 monster isn't easy but completely manageable so long as everyone gets their spacing and weapon use perfected. And vice versa, if you can get the drop on a team the monsters all have moves that can leave them in complete disarray. Love it.

Klyka

Banned
Does anyone know how much health hunters have?
Like,the rank 1 health regen gives 15 points per second, but how long would it take to get you from 1 to max?

BokehKing

Banned
So, played two matches last night, prioritized the monster as the thing I want to be least

So of course the first match puts me in as the monster, died at stage 1, just had no clue how to work that particular monster

Then played as the medic...not as easy as I thought

Being in charge of tracking shots/ buff spots to shoot on the monster and heal?

I died immediately

With that said, can't wait to get out of work today

If you want to add a noon on xbox1 = doc vape

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
In terms of how straining each role is and how much they affect the other players in their team...

I think for the classes, the most important role for the Team is the Trapper, because the Trapper of course controls capturing and encasing the monster in an arena, which sets the stage to really combat it, and often is the one tracking it as well. Locating the monster is often on its shoulders (other characters in other classes can help though, such as Bucket or Val can tranq it if she sees it), and using the barrier at the correct time is so important. With a bad trapper, the game can be just a series game of hide and seek where the Hunters can't really do much until stage 3. With a good trapper, the whole entire round and dynamic of the game can change so greatly.

Medic probably comes second as they have to concern themselves with the well-being of the team, less setting the pace and more monitoring how everyone is doing and who needs aid, and making weakpoints for the other users, or speeding up the team/tranquilizing the monster, depending on which Medic you play as. Each Medic character has a unique helpful trait outside of healing (Val being able to tranq the monster, Lazarus being able to make so many weakpoints on the monster quickly so others can do buffed damage, Caira being the ability to speed up the team temporarily to follow the monster much faster (and a stronger offense than the other Medics)), which makes them also invaluable outside of healing/reviving.

Support comes next, as shielding other users at crucial moments can be a lifesaver and turning people invisible when needed can aid the team so much, plus the Assault is the most likely class to clutch and survive when the others are dead while waiting for the drop-off ship to arrive. Shielding and invisibility can save lives and matches, if used correctly. Plus random things that can help, like Bucket's ability to track the monster from an aerial view, or Cabot's ability to quickly reveal all life in the nearby vicinity.

Assault is probably the least straining position, but not to say least important at all, as its the one that can most bring the damage to the monster and really chip away at its health, but by its role as a heavy damage-bringer, it doesn't need to concern itself with the well-being of the others as much and just focus on killing.

Klyka

Banned
It's funny because I started out with Trapper being the one class I didn't want to play but then I started doing the actual tracking with the other classes, noticed I was decent at it and basically just slid right into the Trapper role.

Durden77

Abe is godlike. Only Maggie can come close to competing with him as a trapper. That tracking dart is ridonkulous, stasis grenades are super useful and quick, and the shotgun does super solid damage when you need it.

It was annoying playing through Griffin to get him though. Griffin just seems like way too much work for not enough gain especially compared to the others. Does anyone use him as their preferred trapper?

Klyka

Banned
Abe is godlike. Only Maggie can come close to competing with him as a trapper. That tracking dart is ridonkulous, stasis grenades are super useful and quick, and the shotgun does super solid damage when you need it.

It was annoying playing through Griffin to get him though. Griffin just seems like way too much work for not enough gain especially compared to the others. Does anyone use him as their preferred trapper?

I like Griffin because with his sound spikes he can turn entire areas of the map into "don't have to go there to check" areas, allowing your team much more coherent gameplay.

Wow just had an intense match against a really good kraken while playing with randoms. It was my first time using bucket and holy shit his turrets and UAV are borderline god tier

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like griffin but find his spikes more map dependant. Some have really good choke points a monster almost has to use, and personally I like his tether more than the traps. It's really satisfying to use.

He can get rushed down haaard though.

I used to pick Capacity with Hank but found I was rarely using all of the default shield. Even for the times that I did, I found that it recharged fast enough that I didn't really see the benefit of having more. Damage Boost is a good idea for Bucket. He's a bit of an odd one who can benefit from a lot of different perks. I also like using Movement Speed or Jetpack Recharge so I can regroup with my team after UAVing faster. I think Reload/Recharge would be best for Cabot since it boosts the use of every single piece of his kit.

I'm a bit torn on what to use with the other trappers. Item Switch may end up working nicely with Abe but I'd probably like Reload/Recharge with Griffin. His harpoon gun takes so long to reload and I love using it.

Very interesting choice for Parnell as he's one of the few I have yet to find my ideal perk(s) for yet. I can see the synergy here so I'll have to give a try sometime.

Yeah, that's a good point about Hank. I need to get better at shielding just before a hit instead of holding the shield on them so it would have time to recharge.

The griffin reload can be brutal but the advanced video tip actually helped me a lot. Letting go of the harpoon to disconnect before a monster hits it lets you get a headstart on the reload while still delaying the monster by having them stop and turn around.

Does anyone know how much health hunters have?
Like,the rank 1 health regen gives 15 points per second, but how long would it take to get you from 1 to max?

Hunters have 1600 health. The maxed regen is 30/s so it would take around 53 seconds.

Klyka

Banned
You know what I just realized the game needs?
When it shows you which map you're gonna play, it needs to show the actual map overview for a bit. That way it's easier to remember which map this is and you can choose your hunters/monster accordingly.

Edit: Oh and about reloads: Don't forget that all your weapons reload without you having them out! So if you start a reload and switch to another item, your weapon reloads in the background and will be full again when you switch to it.

Raytow

Playing as a monster is frustrating, feel like hunters are always on my ass even tho, I go stealthy I avoid birds and destroying trees, fighting is even worse.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Parnell is the answer omg his damage
It's pretty nice but I find myself using it less and less. You could use it on anyone and see the benefit but I rarely find myself thinking, "If only I had more fuel!"

Well, unless the stupid no fuel climb messes up due to whacky geometry, causing me to plummet into a death pit with the monster!

As a Medic-first player, being able to dodge for extended periods if necessary while keeping enough in the tank to be able to rush in and revive is awesome for me.

Killer

Banned
Playing as a monster is frustrating, feel like hunters are always on my ass even tho, I go stealthy I avoid birds and destroying trees, fighting is even worse.

Jump as far as you can and smell consistently.

Still looking for a group to play the game in the evenings. X1 GT: AB X Killer

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Played a few hours with friends last night. Pretty damn fun once you get the hang of it. We did hit some server issues a few times and had to back out of games because of party members getting dropped. Only gripe is we all hate going against the Wraith so far since they are hard to find even when trapped in the bubble. So those tend to end up with a lot of running around until they hit stage 3 and go for the power relay. I mostly played support so far, unlocked Bucket but only used him a match or two as it was late.

Looking forward to playing more this weekend.

PhatSaqs

Banned
You should be constantly sniffing to see where they are. Use the terrain to your advantage (hide, play merry go round, take them to a pack of creatures,etc.). Dont be afraid to come out of stealth and normal run. So what they see tracks if theyre already on your tail. A surprise turnaround and attack when theyre trailing you can also throw them for a loop.

Mathi

Played my first online match and of course I end up as the monster, altough I set it as my least preferred role. The hunters caught me when I reached stage 2 and quickly took me down to half health. I kept mashing my buttons, not doing much damage and thought the match was already over. Then the dome went down, I ran like hell and actually managed to escape. Tried more jumping and sneaking around, avoiding the damned birds and got to stage 3 without being discovered again. Made my way to the generator, killed something big along the way to get a buff (no idea what the buff actually did) and started attacking the generator. The hunters showed up soon afterwards, but this time my attacks did much more damage and I destroyed them one by one while they tried to revive their buddies. Felt great!

Playing as the monster is completely nerve-wracking until stage 3, but it was still great fun!

BokehKing

Banned

There is nothing else to play until next Friday

Well I have officially played with the all time worst team ever. It was a normal hunt match in evacuation and literally everyone just stood at the spawn. They weren't AFK because they'd run around a little bit and deploy bots and such. Then when the monster finally hit stage three and attacked we did some damage, some guys got down and no one revived anyone. Like the monster fled and the support guy just looked at us dead on the ground then ran off. And they weren't new players as they were all playing as the second level unlocks. Ah well.

It's an absolute blast to play as the monster and amazing when your fellow hunters are good but wow does it ever fall apart quickly Still loving the game though.

Skyzard

Banned

I think that most of the negativity was to do with connection issues in alpha/beta especially on consoles - not gameplay, which was was largely regarded positively.

I haven't changed my opinion whatsoever since the alpha and beta. Loved it then and love it now, if you didn't enjoy it then and can trust your early judgement I wouldn't come back.

Then again some people get turned off easy when they don't understand what they should be doing or what's going on.

For a competitive multiplayer game there aren't many modern games like it. If you liked L4D for the teamplay but were put off for some reason then you should probably try it again.

-Maybe go assault if you like relying on while ignoring your team mates most of the time and just want to do damage. :p

Klyka

Banned
Haven't changed my opinion whatsoever since the alpha and beta. Loved it then and love it now, if you didn't enjoy it then and can trust your early judgement I wouldn't come back.

Then again some people get turned off easy when they don't understand what they should be doing or what's going on.

For a competitive multiplayer game there aren't many modern games like it. If you liked L4D for the teamplay but were put off for some reason then you should probably try it again.

Maybe go assault if you like relying on while ignoring your team mates most of the time.

This man plays a damn fine Medic, you can trust his words *salute*

dubq

lol yeah im sure that's going to sell lots....

img401.imageshack.us_img401_7936_notsureifserious.gif

I think that most of the negativity was to do with connection issues in alpha/beta especially on consoles - not gameplay, which was was largely regarded positively.

I haven't changed my opinion whatsoever since the alpha and beta. Loved it then and love it now, if you didn't enjoy it then and can trust your early judgement I wouldn't come back.

-Maybe go assault if you like relying on while ignoring your team mates most of the time and just want to do damage. :p

I loved both the co-op and competitive modes of L4D and grew up playing TFC and can still throw down in TF2, so it's not that I don't understand the idea of playing a specific role to the benefit of a team.

Just seemed like an awful lot of running around and downtime that built up to a crescendo that really...didn't seem that fun. IDK. With none of my friends are showing any sort of interest, I will probably end up passing.

Glad that people are enjoying it though.

Bizazedo

I like Griffin because with his sound spikes he can turn entire areas of the map into "don't have to go there to check" areas, allowing your team much more coherent gameplay.

My set 4-man team loves Griffin. The sound spikes are very useful and his harpoon paired with Val's tranq and Hank's air strike is potentially devastating.

I think there are other nasty potential combinations as well, but that's one we like so far. So much so we'll probably switch in the more damaging Assaults soon, but our current assault loves his mines and Markov.

Just seemed like an awful lot of running around and downtime that built up to a crescendo that really...didn't seem that fun. IDK. With none of my friends are showing any sort of interest, I will probably end up passing.

Glad that people are enjoying it though.

There are people here who play...if you're interested, you could probably link up with GAF'ers.

I ALWAYS find myself saying that. I'd take a jetpack capacity increase perk over a refuel bonus perk!
Well, unless the stupid no fuel climb messes up due to whacky geometry, causing me to plummet into a death pit with the monster.
Something I learned is that you have to be physically moving towards the wall in order to climb it. I thought once you started climbing you could just hold spacebar, but you need to keep walking against the wall.

God the wraith is so much fun. Snatch person, drop AoE buff, Decoy, walk away. By the time they realise they're a man down the buff is up again. The one time I got trapped against my will I just wanted to shout "I'M NOT TRAPPED HERE WITH YOU, YOU'RE TRAPPED HERE WITH ME!"
Also, so many hunters throwing the arena at the decoy. >.< You'd have thought they'd realise that if a monster is running at them at level 1 it's probably going to be the decoy.

edit: I do love how Decoy is buffed by the AoE. Makes it a lot harder to tell it's actually the Decoy when it's a whirling storm of scythes and fangs.

Top Bottom