• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Raytow

God the wraith is so much fun. Snatch person, drop AoE buff, Decoy, walk away. By the time they realise they're a man down the buff is up again. The one time I got trapped against my will I just wanted to shout "I'M NOT TRAPPED HERE WITH YOU, YOU'RE TRAPPED HERE WITH ME!"
Also, so many hunters throwing the arena at the decoy. >.< You'd have thought they'd realise that if a monster is running at them at level 1 it's probably going to be the decoy.

edit: I do love how Decoy is buffed by the AoE. Makes it a lot harder to tell it's actually the Decoy when it's a whirling storm of scythes and fangs.

Just unlocked her a few minutes ago, so based, best monster very sneaky, two bail out skills and frame is smallish enough to play hide and seek perfectly.

Durden77

I like Griffin because with his sound spikes he can turn entire areas of the map into "don't have to go there to check" areas, allowing your team much more coherent gameplay.

My set 4-man team loves Griffin. The sound spikes are very useful and his harpoon paired with Val's tranq and Hank's air strike is potentially devastating.

I think there are other nasty potential combinations as well, but that's one we like so far. So much so we'll probably switch in the more damaging Assaults soon, but our current assault loves his mines and Markov.

I don't think Griffin's necessarily bad, and the sound spikes are great in concept, but I feel like I'm just detached from my team playing as him. Always having to have my mini-map open, and looking for the best places to plant spikes. Sometimes to make him the most effective, he needs to stray from the team, which is never good. Not to mention that random monsters can destroy the spikes, making things more confusing.

Also like another poster said, he's pretty map dependent, and can get rushed down like a mother fucker. He needs a better attack weapon. The harpoon gun is awesome, but if the monster is coming straight for him, there's nothing he can do except lay into him with that basic-ass SMG. Where as Maggie can lure him into traps and Abe and use stasis.

I know he can have a purpose on the team, I just feel like that purpose is very lackluster compared to the work Abe and Maggie can do with much less effort.

Just unlocked her a few minutes ago, so based, best monster very sneaky, two bail out skills and frame is smallish enough to play hide and seek perfectly.

I'm not normally a fan of "rogue" style characters in games. But Wraith is just perfect. So much damage and thanks to the warp is really hard to keep your guns trained on it.

One problem I do have with maining monster is that it's really hard to imagine the difference in scale between playing monster and playing a hunter. With a monster, everything feels so tiny and you feel like you stick out like a sore thumb, it's hard to realise just how difficult it is for them to spot you in general when they don't have a tracking dart or something on you.

Klyka

Banned
I don't think Griffin's necessarily bad, and the sound spikes are great in concept, but I feel like I'm just detached from my team playing as him. Always having to have my mini-map open, and looking for the best places to plant spikes. Sometimes to make him the most effective, he needs to stray from the team, which is never good. Not to mention that random monsters can destroy the spikes, making things more confusing.

Also like another poster said, he's pretty map dependent, and can get rushed down like a mother fucker. He needs a better attack weapon. The harpoon gun is awesome, but if the monster is coming straight for him, there's nothing he can do except lay into him with that basic-ass SMG. Where as Maggie can lure him into traps and Abe and use stasis.

I know he can have a purpose on the team, I just feel like that purpose is very lackluster compared to the work Abe and Maggie can do with much less effort.

Griffin needs to be paired with hunters that can help him when he is under attack from the monster. Hank for shield, Hyde throwing a gas grenade on him, Val tranquing monster/healing him, Caira healing him/giving him speed boost, Bucket putting turrets down and Griffin staying close to them, Markovs mines around him, etc...

If a hunter doesn't have something, usually the other hunters have something he can use.

Brandwin

By doing the "masteries" of the character beforehand.

Maybe I don't understand how they work, as I am a little slow at times, or sometimes just lazy...

But I seem to do certain things and my bar is to the top, but only 1 star?

I dunno too much!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe I don't understand how they work, as I am a little slow at times, or sometimes just lazy...

But I seem to do certain things and my bar is to the top, but only 1 star?

I dunno too much!

You need to reach 1 star with all the abilities for it to trigger the unlock.

Skyzard

Banned
I loved both the co-op and competitive modes of L4D and grew up playing TFC and can still throw down in TF2, so it's not that I don't understand the idea of playing a specific role to the benefit of a team.

Just seemed like an awful lot of running around and downtime that built up to a crescendo that really...didn't seem that fun. IDK. With none of my friends are showing any sort of interest, I will probably end up passing.

Glad that people are enjoying it though.

Tracking the monster is a key part of the game most of the time but it can be pretty fun when you're doing it right and keeping him close. Also fun for the monster.

The game has great sound cues, tracking darts/cloud drop, tranqs to slow, spikes on sensors, pilot controlled uavs, birds that come for food he's eaten, birds that get scared away, daisy, evolving noises. Try to sneak up with trapper before firing from a distance.
If people aren't doing their job or the monster is really good at predicting where he thinks you will go and leaves bait tracks while sneaking elsewhere it gets pretty tough.

As you get better you try to split the group up a little bit and fan out a tad to cover more ground and cut him off as opposed to just following behind him so it helps to have the map out.

Out of about 200 games I've had like 1 where it was a nightmare to find him and then we got pawned at the end. This was with sound spikes covering the entire map but there were a lot of water paths all over the map for him to escape without leaving tracks.

nice! let's see if we can get some rounds going when I am home :)

Looking forward to it!

CozMick

Banned
Why is going into mp alone a 100% guarantee that you'll end up being a half killed monster that has been abandoned by another player? Urgh. I suck at being a Goliath.

Klyka

Banned
In 10 min going to try and get a group going on PC

three spots open so far, message me on Steam if you want in: Klyka

I can't play this game more than twenty minutes because it keeps crashing from low virtual memory. I've turned the settings down really low and it still happens. I checked the Steam forum for the game and I'm not alone on this. Hopefully it's fixed in a patch soon.

Maybesew

I'm pretty terrible at this game. Played as the monster mostly last night because none of my friends were online. I'm not sure why I have such a hard time avoiding the hunters, where as when I was a hunter we spent long periods of time trying to find the monster.

Papercuts

Picking up a hunter from incap gives them a health strike. Looks like a white box on their HP, it's a permanent health loss. Second incap gives another strike and leaves you with around half health for the rest of the game.

Lazarus gets around that with his glove, his revives won't give a strike.

Mask

Defend is a really good way to unlock everything quickly, IMO.

Got Bucket really quick last night when I was playing with a Gaffer, his Turret Drones are way overpowered, just shredding through a monster like its nothing! Had to keep placing them, because the monster kept targeting them.

MoonGred

Is the positional audio correct in this game? I swear that I could clearly hear the monster to the left or right of me, but footprints usually make me doubt if I'm hearing it correctly, the tracker never seems to hear this and always follows the footprints,which never leads us directly to the monster.
Should I be saying something when I hear them?

Ravijn

Is the positional audio correct in this game? I swear that I could clearly hear the monster to the left or right of me, but footprints usually make me doubt if I'm hearing it correctly, the tracker never seems to hear this and always follows the footprints,which never leads us directly to the monster.
Should I be saying something when I hear them?

I think the positional audio is working correctly for me. Pc version. I usually tend to go for the scream sounds.

The tracks only show a general direction I think.

Sweet Ivy

Anyone else having trouble playing (matchmaking) in a party (PS4)?
Me and buddy were in a party and weren't able to play one single game with other people.
We were mostly just us two alone with bots.
When we were put in a match with other people, I would actually be kicked out because the game was full.
Spent the evening like this, definitely not fun.

We actually were put in a started match once, the lag was so bad it was unplayable...

Klyka

Banned
Had some good games in our PC party just now against a very friendly monster player.
We got him as Goliath and in the end he played a Kraken and for some reason eventhough I was all up in his face as Parnell the whole time, we basically did not damage to him. I don't quite get it. Like, we are talking full on super soldier shotgun + rocket launcher into his face and we just got his armor off at stage 1 and a tiny bit of health. Then we got him in stage 2 and barely got him down to half health. So weird.

I'm enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would. When you have a team that works together effectively it makes the game feel very rewarding. Playing as the monster is also a ton of fun. The early stages are stressful as you try to avoid the hunters but once you reach level 3 there is nothing better than taking them all down head on.

Skyzard

Banned
Had some good games in our PC party just now against a very friendly monster player.
We got him as Goliath and in the end he played a Kraken and for some reason eventhough I was all up in his face as Parnell the whole time, we basically did not damage to him. I don't quite get it. Like, we are talking full on super soldier shotgun + rocket launcher into his face and we just got his armor off at stage 1 and a tiny bit of health. Then we got him in stage 2 and barely got him down to half health. So weird.

Might have been a good damage reduction buff? #iirc i was putting a decent amount of snipes on him with laz too.

At the end round I should have been more careful with the revive, might have rushed in too quick while cloaked.

Helps if hunters spread away a little from someone when they're knocked over - though if he's still on them to kill them faster, or worse, eat them then stay within range. Helps for easier revives with laz.

One thing I wasn't 100% sure about - when the monster goes into a sound sensor trap and just stays and hides...does it not trigger the sound trap while he's standing still but only if he moves again?

AEREC

Just bought this on steam...never played the beta's so Im going in clueless. Will probably play with bots until I get the hand of everything before going online.

Im looking to play mostly monster as I usually prefer being solo and Id rather not use a mic since my only play time is after the wife and kid are asleep and I try not to be too loud.

Klyka

Banned
Might have been a good damage reduction buff? #iirc i was putting a decent amount of snipes on him with laz too.

At the end round I should have been more careful with the revive, might have rushed in too quick while cloaked.

Helps if hunters spread away a little from someone when they're knocked over - though if he's still on them to kill them faster, or worse, eat them then stay within range. Helps for easier revives with laz.

One thing I wasn't 100% sure about - when the monster goes into a sound sensor trap and just stays and hides...does it not trigger the sound trap while he's standing still but only if he moves again?

If he sneaks, the sound trap stops tracking him.

MoonGred

I think the positional audio is working correctly for me. Pc version. I usually tend to go for the scream sounds.

The tracks only show a general direction I think.

I'll mess around with the tracker in a bot match to see how accurate it is when I get home tonight. The bass of the Goliath's footsteps are way to prominent for them to be meaningless, it's definitely not the wildlife either they sound completely different.

Am i the only one who gets annoyed by this??

B9m8tvRIcAAo3Cz.jpg:large

It's 2015 i think the "Hey look, celebrities play this" advertising just has to stop

Ravijn

I'll mess around with the tracker in a bot match to see how accurate it is when I get home tonight. The bass of the Goliath's footsteps are way to prominent for them to be meaningless, it's definitely not the wildlife either they sound completely different.

I could definitively track the Goliath's footsteps via the positional audio with headphones on. I would also pick up on the scream/yell it does to track the hunters.(It's a smell. Derp.)

Some of the wildlife will throw you off too. I think the velociraptor looking things so a similar call as one of the monsters. Not 100% sure on that though.

Let me know if you figure it out with your setup.

Klyka

Banned
I could definitively track the Goliath's footsteps via the positional audio with headphones on. I would also pick up on the scream/yell yell it does to track the hunters.

Some of the wildlife will throw you off too. I think the velociraptor looking things so a similar call as one of the monsters. Not 100% sure on that though.

Let me know if you figure it out with your setup.

When the monster is close and he uses his smell, you can actually hear that.

Has anyone received pre-order codes from Amazon? I haven't, so I just called them and they gave me two codes that are incorrect. I received two 14-digit codes for the PS4 version when PSN codes are always 12 digits. Now I don't know what the fuck to do.

Tabasco

Is there an answer to fix the crashing to desktop on PC?

I hate to leave a group of people during a match because of the game not being stable.

Medic being my favorite role I find myself preferring Val to Lazarus. Lazarus appears to be more of an aggressive healer and I'd rather to more support oriented than sitting there trying to shoot the monster.

I'll play him some more just so I can get the last Medic and then see how she is.

Akainu

Watching people play stealthfully is really entertaining. One had a whole group pass by a guy like 5 times before moving on. I'm guessing it only works on dark maps though?

hawk2025

Am i the only one who gets annoyed by this??

B9m8tvRIcAAo3Cz.jpg:large

It's 2015 i think the "Hey look, celebrities play this" advertising just has to stop

Is this a commercial?

...are they really opening themselves up here for "I made a huge mistake" to be plastered all over this?

Seems... shortsighted :p

Papercuts

Watching people play stealthfully is really entertaining. One had a whole group pass by a guy like 5 times before moving on. I'm guessing it only works on dark maps though?

You'd be surprised tbh. I've crouched in bushes and under a waterfall as everyone passed, lol.

Doesn't really work if they have Daisy and are paying attention though.

Klyka

Banned

Nope, it works on all maps.
Bushes are placed all over the map and they work wonders.
We had it done to us masterfully by a player a few times today.

Top Bottom