• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Just had an awesome match as Hank. The wraith( i think thats the name, the one that can do supernova) wrecked my whole team. I was the only one left and he was destroying the power relay. The dropship just started. I kept luring him away from his relay attacks. I would laser cut him a bunch and hed get mad at me. Id run outside and cloak and hit him with the orbital bombs. Rinse and repeat for the 2 minutes. He got the relay down to 12 before every one else came back. Then when they all arrived I had him down to two health bars and we finished him off and won.

It was epic listening to the other guys on the mic. I felt like such a beast it was awesome.

Had the same game yesterday. Had another one today much like this one, I was the only one left with the med. Popped the cloak next to her so we could both leave and she had the brilliant idea to repeatedly shoot me with her healing grenade launcher while I was cloaking her. Monster spotted her and while smashing her smashed me too.

It happens a lot, people just don't get group cloaks and I've noticed that very few hunters retreat when at a disadvantage when they have cloaks and I've seen retreats win quite a few games.

andycapps

Please add me on ps4 if you're playing this and looking for a party. Looking to play with some people interested in working together. PSN is
andycapps

So I'm in love with this game.
Not the maps. Not the unlocks. But the concept.
As someone whose always liked the competitiveness of WoW bossfights and Dota 2 teamfights, this game as really grabbed me by the balls.

However, I'm pretty shitty and still learning.
I'm awful with the monster, but thats not why I'm here.

I'm here to find friendly, adult people who I can learn from and have fun experiences hunting down a giant Lovecraftian monster.

I don't mind losing. I accept losing. I just want to have a great time.
I found some cool duders from Giantbomb to play with, but could always use more.

I'm on PSN as bemusedchunk - add me if you want to shoot monsters in the face together while laughing at how frequently I get eaten by carnivorous foliage.

(East Coast USA if it matters)

deoee

Again had some awesome rounds with friends.

I have to say - I'm such a good trapper, got a Wraith down at lvl 1 two times in a row >:D

andycapps

So I'm in love with this game.
Not the maps. Not the unlocks. But the concept.
As someone whose always liked the competitiveness of WoW bossfights and Dota 2 teamfights, this game as really grabbed me by the balls.

However, I'm pretty shitty and still learning.
I'm awful with the monster, but thats not why I'm here.

I'm here to find friendly, adult people who I can learn from and have fun experiences hunting down a giant Lovecraftian monster.

I don't mind losing. I accept losing. I just want to have a great time.
I found some cool duders from Giantbomb to play with, but could always use more.

I'm on PSN as bemusedchunk - add me if you want to shoot monsters in the face together while laughing at how frequently I get eaten by carnivorous foliage.

(East Coast USA if it matters)
Just added you

Killer

Banned
q0yZm2L.jpg

Klyka

Banned
I can't seem to make Lazarus work in my head.
Just....I can't.

I can find a role and part in a team for every single hunter but Lazarus just....just makes no sense. He does not fit into any game that has a decently skillful monster in it.

Do people have any ideas? Medic players?

zugzug

This fucking game is most infuriating!

3 times queue up for evacuation and it places me as monster 3 times, even though I have it as 5th in my queue.

Second time I sat there watching twitch on my second monitor as a bot monster then I saw another person connect to game *rage* so I take over bot leave game, sit out the one minute timer queue again and damned if i don't get placed into same exact game as the same fucking monster.

Klyka

Banned
This fucking game is most infuriating!

3 times queue up for evacuation and it places me as monster 3 times, even though I have it as 5th in my queue.

Second time I sat there watching twitch on my second monitor as a bot monster then I saw another person connect to game *rage* so I take over bot leave game, sit out the one minute timer queue again and damned if i don't get placed into same exact game as the same fucking monster.

It's because too many monster players leave the game to keep their winrates up.
This creates massive amounts of open spots the game needs to fill cause it prioritizes "fill monster spot in started game" over "fill hunter spot in started game" because it prioritizes PvP over PvE

Raytow

This creates massive amounts of open spots the game needs to fill cause it prioritizes "fill monster spot in started game" over "fill hunter spot in started game" because it prioritizes PvP over PvE

ahh that's why I see so many monsters without loses, turtlerock needs to fix that shit asap.

zugzug

see to me thats just terribly bad game design to allow these loopholes to happen and to frustrate casual players like me. I actually place the fucking monster as 5th respect that don't force me to fill your flimsy matchmaking.

1 minute delay is bullshit annoying to me but worth to those keeping their stats. How on earth could you not create a leaver penalty stat right next to their win loss rate, Or increase the fucking delay to join a new match based upon how many leaves people have.

Or again placing someone who puts the monster 5th into a match against a 4 person party is sheer fucking insanity.

Klyka

Banned
see to me thats just terribly bad game design to allow these loopholes to happen and to frustrate casual players like me. I actually place the fucking monster as 5th respect that don't force me to fill your flimsy matchmaking.

1 minute delay is bullshit annoying to me but worth to those keeping their stats. How on earth could you not create a leaver penalty stat right next to their win loss rate, Or increase the fucking delay to join a new match based upon how many leaves people have.

Or again placing someone who puts the monster 5th into a match against a 4 person party is sheer fucking insanity.

haha shall i be brutally honest?
They actually only display the wins/winrate BECAUSE of casual players.
If you only see your wins and not your losses, it feels better and give you that "I'm doing well!" feeling that many casual players crave.

I of course agree that the matchmaking needs to be sorted on this

Just....I can't.

I can find a role and part in a team for every single hunter but Lazarus just....just makes no sense. He does not fit into any game that has a decently skillful monster in it.

Really? He is my favourite character

Gator86

Absolutely agree with this.

Evolve is great as a concept and even in execution, at times. Unfortunately, there's way too many oversights and inane decisions for it to reach its potential.

As people have mentioned, matchmaking is completely hit or miss. The amount of times I've been thrown into half-done games with my fifth choice role is astonishing.

The progression systems are absolutely pointless, at best, and detriment to game design and player enjoyment, at worst, and are purely satisfy the carrot/stick requirement of modern games and gate content to slow trade-ins and artificially increase the amount of content.

And then all the little glitches and common annoyances scream pack of polish. Sometimes Daisy just seems to fall asleep and lose interest in hunting the monster. Jet packing up a high wall doesn't always work if you're out of fuel. If people die in certain spots, it's impossible to get a revive prompt.

zugzug

wow just now played 2 matches, get trapper as my second choice both times I'm ok with that this time i went skirmish mode. First game Kraken avoided us entire match and lost to timer....boring game whatever he didn't know how to play or somesuch.

Now this second match was awesome against a new player a Goliath playing for good 20 minutes monster is tier 3, we are chasing him all over he is fighting us, the player playing the monster changed between tier 1 and tier 2 ok new guy was good enough player except he didn't target the generator enough....yet we are still playing back and forth....great game right.....then the game client just up and crashed on me and I don't know why. So now I don't know who won.

this talk about it holding your spot for 1 minute is either not right or simply not enough time to restart the client and log back into 2k servers sign in as your character cuz I did it immediately and still it just matched me into a new skirmish mode...guess what as my 5th choice monster. Instant quit, quit Evolve game client come post this. Get up go out into sunshine fuck you Evolve :p

Klyka

Banned
Just won my first game as a monster against human hunters :D

Goliath, engaged them with full armor at level 1 in a perfect spot with a tyrant in a lake surrounded by 3 little plateaus. I knocked them into the water over and over so they had to swim/use all their jetpack fuel/gotten attacked by Tyrant :D Got a strike on the trapper and the medic there.

I evolved to stage 2, went 3 in rock throw (SUCH crazy damage) and let them find me next to a sloth. Again, tons of knocking them to the sloth, throwing rocks for almost instakills at people. Killed the Trapper, got second strike on medic and 1 strike on support.

I run off and get some more food to eat for stage 3 evolve. Evolve ready to go, I got full armor, alright let's engage before evolving.
I brought them to another place next to a tyrant and finished them off :D

Didn't even need stage 3.

man this game is a RUSH as the monster. no calming teammates in your ears, no one to help you out.
The only thing I really hate is how you sometimes get stuck or do a jump and get flung at crazy speed into another direction. Might be netcode.

minx

Had some great games with a GAFer (Papercuts?) tonight. But my shit got reset! So upset I have to unlock all the characters again.

Email 2k support. I lost my progress and they said they would unlock every character for me. Too bad I already have every character and am level 24 now.

Klyka

Banned
So I spawned in game as a Medic I have yet to use, how do I heal people with that glove?

Haha. Did it not show you a tutorial video? Guess cause you spawned in the game while it was running.

The glove doesn't heal, you use the glove instead of the "use" button to revive downed teammates without it giving them a strike. You can also revive teammates who are FULLY DEAD.

yencid

Just....I can't.

So i played a few rounds with him yesterday and i found a good role for him in 2 modes.

Nest and defend.

Nest is a good one because with his sniper being faster you can tag along with someone and shoot the shit out of the eggs and that will make whoever you tagged along with be able to do a lot of damage quickly basically being able to destroy the eggs faster.

Defend he works well because youre mostly in a small area fighting incoming waves so its easier to just revive someone than to be constantly healing. Val isnt good for this mode being that she works best from far away. Lazarus can hide and be all sneaky.

BokehKing

Banned
Haha. Did it not show you a tutorial video? Guess cause you spawned in the game while it was running.

The glove doesn't heal, you use the glove instead of the "use" button to revive downed teammates without it giving them a strike. You can also revive teammates who are FULLY DEAD.
Yeah there was no video so I was completely lost

Anyone on xbox1 want to run with a level 4 noob later in evac mode?

RBK

Banned
Yeah there was no video so I was completely lost

Anyone on xbox1 want to run with a level 4 noob later in evac mode?

Installing the game right now, if it's done before the All-Star stuff, I'll be willing to play.

PM me with your GT.

Same goes for anyone else on XB1 as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Currently in yet another enthralling wraith match.

I'm getting better at tracking it but jesus christ.

Finally got first win ..first match we were destroyed as I was a medic with teammates just scattered everywhere.

Second game as assault(preference) we dominated a wraith. Probably a newcomer but hey I'll take the win lol

Decided to try out the Trapper and ended up having a great game. We were playing against the Kraken and I managed to snag him not even 30 seconds into the game. Threw down some traps and he could barely move since he kept ignoring them and after catching him in the arena on three different occasions we finally won before he even hit level 2.

Funny thing is before the match started one of my teammates was complaining over his headset that we'd already lost because I didn't have the 2nd Trapper unlocked and we would never win with the girl.

Klyka

Banned
Decided to try out the Trapper and ended up having a great game. We were playing against the Kraken and I managed to snag him not even 30 seconds into the game. Threw down some traps and he could barely move since he kept ignoring them and after catching him in the arena on three different occasions we finally won before he even hit level 2.

Funny thing is before the match started one of my teammates was complaining over his headset that we'd already lost because I didn't have the 2nd Trapper unlocked and we would never win with the girl.

Maggie is so fucking boss and putting her traps on some rocks around the arena messes Kraken um SO much.

That man has no idea. Actually most people who go "oh no we don't have X we lose" have no idea.

You can and have to make everything work because of the blind pick

Top Bottom