• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Klyka

Banned
People in the official forums claim to have massive matchmaking issues (especially on consoles) for me on pc it works fine with every partysize i try.

What do you say?

I never had problems with disconnects, crashes or matchmaking not working.

People in the official forums claim to have massive matchmaking issues (especially on consoles) for me on pc it works fine with every partysize i try.

What do you say?

I still haven't had an issue with coop/pvp Evacuation on PS4. I find matches in under a minute and stay in them until I leave.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

What do you say?

I've had mixed experiences. It is usually fine but I do have times with 3 or 4 party teams where it'll hang for awhile.

deicide2673

Neo Member
Problem we found with matchmaking was in a group of 4 it just never found another player for the monster in evacuation. Tried many times, when we tried as a group of 2 the matchmaking was fine. I think they need to have a look at their algorithms as they clearly don't work under certain conditions. I don't believe it has anything to do with the number of players playing. The search criteria is screwed up.

Problem we found with matchmaking was in a group of 4 it just never found another player for the monster in evacuation. Tried many times, when we tried as a group of 2 the matchmaking was fine. I think they need to have a look at their algorithms as they clearly don't work under certain conditions. I don't believe it has anything to do with the number of players playing. The search criteria is screwed up.

In a case like this, why can't they just use a bot?

It would also prevent having people who don't want to play the Monster being forced into the role.

deicide2673

Neo Member
In a case like this, why can't they just use a bot?

It would also prevent having people who don't want to play the Monster being forced into the role.

Oh you do get a bot if you wait for ages, it gives up and makes the monster a bot. We just wanted to play against another player not the AI.

BokehKing

Banned
Is anyone else having trouble finding people on PS4? I am in a group of 3 people and can't find two others in matchmaking (hunt).

This is the 4th time it has happened to me.
On x1 it's the same issue, you feel like 1 of 50 people in the whole world who purchased the game.

It happened all day, most I'll get in evac mode is one or two other people, I've played with more bots than humans

All the monster players play skirmish.

That's because playing a single round with monster is pretty tense, so doing 5 back to back is nerve wracking. :p Plus it's a bit of a time commitment as well.
But really, I doubt it's a population issue but rather matchmaking issues.

Speaking of populations, I had a friend on PS4 last night with 0 wins and 3 losses, and he was around 150k on the leaderboard.
Don't have anyone on my PC friends list with a similar record to check.

Anyone have the X1 version with a friend with a 0-1 win position on the leaderboard?

Klyka

Banned
That's because playing a single round with monster is pretty tense, so doing 5 back to back is nerve wracking. :p Plus it's a bit of a time commitment as well.
But really, I doubt it's a population issue but rather matchmaking issues.

Speaking of populations, I had a friend on PS4 last night with 0 wins and 3 losses, and he was around 150k on the leaderboard.
Don't have anyone on my PC friends list with a similar record to check.

Anyone have the X1 version with a friend with a 0-1 win position on the leaderboard?

There are usually between 15-30k concurent players on Steam.

There will be the same or vastly more on consoles.

There are usually between 15-30k concurent players on Steam.

There will be vastly more on consoles.

Not looking for concurrent users, but for the number of entries on the global leaderboards, which should give us an idea of how the game sold on each platform.
It wouldn't include people who never touched online, of course.. but I doubt that amounts to many players at all. This is a MP focused title, after all.

The Foul

I'm officially pissed off with evac pvp.

Since thursday I cannot get into a match as a hunter. Note I'm on PC and play by myself. 95% of matches that I join, someone has lost the first match as monster then quit, leaving an empty slot that for some reason the game wants only me to fill. I can't enter evac pvp it seems without being consigned to someones sloppy monster seconds, worst still, if I try to find another match, 9/10 I'll be put into the same stinking match I just quit out from.

Either there is 4 people playing this game on PC in Australia and they are constantly in a group together, or something has gone very wrong with the matchmaking. Its getting so bad I'm looking for a way to reset my level in the hopes that fixes it somehow (I'm lvl 27, funnily enough the game is not shy about matching me against level 3-10's). Anyone know how to do that?

I would take 20 minutes of looking for a match to get my 4th choice over spending 20 minutes cycling in and out of matches as the monster. FFS make the 5th choice a "Don't ever make me this character or I'll just quit" button TRS, I honestly wonder why they even bother having that option, for me its either first choice or monster (my last choice). Evac co-op vs A.I is nice but once you figure out the A.I it gets old, especially if the team is half decent.

Is it so fucking bad that I never wanted to play as Undead in l4d, and don't want to play as monster in evolve? I want to lose to a wraith so much I feel inclined to play as it to understand it better, not be forced to play yet another 4 matches of evac as monster just to have the party all leave when it comes time for me to switch to hunter, beginning the cycle again.

I feel better having ranted, I now return to evolve for more. Carry on.

The Foul

Its the same for skirmish, here I was thinking the problem was isolated to evac pvp. It is truly fucked to play a game with a good team, people actually using their mics and having fun, then skirmish forces you to be the monster 3 games in a row, forcing me to leave. It is my 5th fucking choice TRS, why repeatedly force me to not have fun? FFS i'm putting this game down till they add a "stop punishing me by forcing me to be the monster constantly because I can't party up with one other person because my friends didn't buy your overpriced fucking game" button.

UGH I want to like this game so much.

Klyka

Banned
Its the same for skirmish, here I was thinking the problem was isolated to evac pvp. It is truly fucked to play a game with a good team, people actually using their mics and having fun, then skirmish forces you to be the monster 3 games in a row, forcing me to leave. It is my 5th fucking choice TRS, why repeatedly force me to not have fun? FFS i'm putting this game down till they add a "stop punishing me by forcing me to be the monster constantly because I can't party up with one other person because my friends didn't buy your overpriced fucking game" button.

UGH I want to like this game so much.

Try to play with people from GAF or others you know.
You only need one other person in the party to never get monster.

Kiant

The hell is wrong with solo play on Evac. I literally can't find a match that isn't full of premades which forces me to be the Monster. 15 lobbies in a row now!

Klyka

Banned
The hell is wrong with solo play on Evac. I literally can't find a match that isn't full of premades which forces me to be the Monster. 15 lobbies in a row now!

I'm gonna throw in my 2cents on the whole matchmaking thing:

I feel that the matchmaking puts "making a full game" and "is this a party or a solo player" before "what are the players preferences".

What I mean by this is that if you queue up solo, no matter your preferences, the game will look around for games that have one open slot to fill because it wants to make a "full 4v1 game". Now the problem is, that because of the leaderboards going after wins and because monster players literally have no one to answer to but themselves, most monster players will leave games the moment they start to lose. This leads to a way WAY higher amount of open monster slots compared to open hunter slots.
Since the matchmaking really wants to have full games, and it sees all these games with one open slot (monster) it decides that a person queuing up by themselves is the perfect candidate for this slot because it A) won't break up a preformed party and B) all preferences are already filled except the monster which thereby doesn't matter at which position you put it.

As an example, if 4 players with hunters as main preference and 1 player with monster will queue up at the same time, the game will not put them all in the same game to create a "new full game" but instead put each one of them into one already open monster slot to "fill the game" because it values already started games over creating a totally new game.

TL;DR: The game values a "full match" over "what does the lone player want".

Kiant

I feel that the matchmaking puts "making a full game" and "is this a party or a solo player" before "what are the players preferences".

What I mean by this is that if you queue up solo, no matter your preferences, the game will look around for games that have one open slot to fill because it wants to make a "full 4v1 game". Now the problem is, that because of the leaderboards going after wins and because monster players literally have no one to answer to but themselves, most monster players will leave games the moment they start to lose. This leads to a way WAY higher amount of open monster slots compared to open hunter slots.
Since the matchmaking really wants to have full games, and it sees all these games with one open slot (monster) it decides that a person queuing up by themselves is the perfect candidate for this slot because it A) won't break up a preformed party and B) all preferences are already filled except the monster which thereby doesn't matter at which position you put it.

Whilst filling a game is good especially for something like this, I don't think restricting someone to play as a Monster is a good way to go about it. Literally half the games playable characters are locked off to me because I cannot find a game that isn't just premades.

I'm fairly decent at the Monster but god-damn! I do not want to be it every single match.

Either they should divide it into a pre-made bracket and a solo play bracket or they should just abolish the preference list if it's going to have minimal bearing on who is the Monster and who's a Hunter.

Even then I have my doubts - I joined a game where it was me and 2 others, 2 spots free. We wait 30 seconds for those spots to fill and the game still puts me as a Monster. I mean come the fuck on. I've even heard cases of Duo's being separated - 1 as the Monster, the other a Hunter.

Klyka

Banned
Whilst filling a game is good especially for something like this, I don't think restricting someone to play as a Monster is a good way to go about it. Literally half the games playable characters are locked off to me because I cannot find a game that isn't just premades.

I'm fairly decent at the Monster but god-damn! I do not want to be it every single match.

Either they should divide it into a pre-made bracket and a solo play bracket or they should just abolish the preference list if it's going to have minimal bearing on who is the Monster and who's a Hunter.

Even then I have my doubts - I joined a game where it was me and 2 others, 2 spots free. We wait 30 seconds for those spots to fill and the game still puts me as a Monster. I mean come the fuck on. I've even heard cases of Duo's being separated - 1 as the Monster, the other a Hunter.

yeah, the matchmaking is definitely having huge problems.

what i wrote is just what I think is happening, I am not saying it should be like that.

The Foul

Sound logic, I like this theory. However, It doesn't explain how I can join an evac match as a hunter, complete the map, then when it comes time to chose characters for the next map I'm forced to be the monster... If it happened once I'd put it down to dodgy matchmaking, my problem is its happening every game to the point where I cannot play evac pvp without the game forcing me to play as the monster, either immediately or forcing it next match. It most definitely was not like this on launch...

Half of my theory is that I'm lvl 27 and people are either too low or too high in my bracket to matchmake against. The other Half of my theory is that I'm level 27, unlocked all the hunters and have only played enough monster matches to unlock the kraken so the game is trying to balance me out or something... then theres the side theory that there just isn't that many aussies on PC playing the game, considering I've come across a lot of the same names....

Try to play with people from GAF or others you know.
You only need one other person in the party to never get monster.

It would be my pleasure. Aus PC Evolve gaf hit me up, Grommell on steam.

Klyka

Banned
Sound logic, I like this theory. However, It doesn't explain how I can join an evac match as a hunter, complete the map, then when it comes time to chose characters for the next map I'm forced to be the monster... If it happened once I'd put it down to dodgy matchmaking, my problem is its happening every game to the point where I cannot play evac pvp without the game forcing me to play as the monster, either immediately or forcing it next match. It most definitely was not like this on launch...

Half of my theory is that I'm lvl 27 and people are either too low or too high in my bracket to matchmake against. The other Half of my theory is that I'm level 27, unlocked all the hunters and have only played enough monster matches to unlock the kraken so the game is trying to balance me out or something... then theres the side theory that there just isn't that many aussies on PC playing the game, considering I've come across a lot of the same names....

It would be my pleasure. Aus PC Evolve gaf hit me up, Grommell on steam.

The game's matchmaking is DEFINITELY trying to keep you in your own region. I always get matched up with German players, so I can totally see it having problems ´when it tries to match you with Aussies cause there are probably not that many players there.

Jaeger

Just bought it on Steam. It's downloading now. Opted for the regular $59 copy. I'll have to see if purchasing the DLC will be worth it as time goes on, but the Kraken and Goliath are calling me.

Whom are the Steam players here on Evolve-GAF?

Klyka

Banned
Just bought it on Steam. It's downloading now. Opted for the regular $59 copy. I'll have to see if purchasing the DLC will be worth it as time goes on, but the Kraken and Goliath are calling me.

Whom are the Steam players here on Evolve-GAF?

You can add me: Klyka

georgc

Is there anyway for me to get the Monster DLC that came with the preorder at a good price? I didn't get it and turtlerock hasn't responded to my email for help. So please help GAF you are my only hope.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You get the game for free at EBGames Canada if you buy an Xbox One.

B9wPTZjIMAAfKRB.png:large

RBK

Banned
Is there anyway for me to get the Monster DLC that came with the preorder at a good price? I didn't get it and turtlerock hasn't responded to my email for help. So please help GAF you are my only hope.

Have codes available for both PS4/XB1.

Sent you a PM.

Kiant

yeah, the matchmaking is definitely having huge problems.

what i wrote is just what I think is happening, I am not saying it should be like that.

I know :) still really annoying.

Currently in a game where one spot was free and it put me as the Monster and that spot for a spare hunter wasn't filled for like 3 matches in Evac.

It's really bizarre.

Edit: Also fuck that Medic with AoE stuff, it's too good on Rescue.

Klyka

Banned
I know :) still really annoying.

Currently in a game where one spot was free and it put me as the Monster and that spot for a spare hunter wasn't filled for like 3 matches in Evac.

It's really bizarre.

Edit: Also fuck that Medic with AoE stuff, it's too good on Rescue.

You mean Caira?

She is strong but if you throw her around a bit and put distance between her and her heal targets she has a really hard time landing her heal grenades.

Edit: I'd like to get a group on PC going again today that wants to properly strategize based on map and gamemode and put together properly setup teams instead of "i need to level this guy". Hope I see some people interested online :)

Kiant

You mean Caira?

She is strong but if you throw her around a bit and put distance between her and her heal targets she has a really hard time landing her heal grenades.

Edit: I'd like to get a group on PC going again today that wants to properly strategize based on map and gamemode and put together properly setup teams instead of "i need to level this guy". Hope I see some people interested online :)

Yeah that's the one :p.

I'd be down for that. Just look up "Kiant" on steam.

BLunted

Banned
Glad I came here. Was looking at this game, but the matchmaking complaints would have driven me up the wall. Maybe after they patch the game, I'll take another look.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to play with randoms and try to meet some decent folks try Evacuation mode. I've had better look finding good groups there than in the Skirmish play list.

I mostly only play with friends, but have gone on alone a few times, or with just one or two friends and have got some good groups in Evacuation. Skirmish has been mostly annoying people and I end up staying in party chat.

I've been playing my games with randoms and it's not too bad. There are times when I wish that there was better communication but the game is still enjoyable

Klyka

Banned
Glad I came here. Was looking at this game, but the matchmaking complaints would have driven me up the wall. Maybe after they patch the game, I'll take another look.

Do remember that the matchmaking issues are basically non existent with a party aka 2+ people

The Foul

If you want to play with randoms and try to meet some decent folks try Evacuation mode. I've had better look finding good groups there than in the Skirmish play list.

I mostly only play with friends, but have gone on alone a few times, or with just one or two friends and have got some good groups in Evacuation. Skirmish has been mostly annoying people and I end up staying in party chat.

This. Meet people in evac then group up into customs/premade evac from there. I've found people open up far more if you talk alot too, just pointing out what you see/hear etc. Had a totally silent evac followed by lots of talking and teamwork in the next evac with the same group, way more fun that way.

Do remember that the matchmaking issues are basically non existent with a party aka 2+ people
I second this, matchmaking itself doesn't have issues, actually its rather smooth and quick. If you play like a normal person, you probably won't notice anything wrong.

BLunted

Banned

I have absolutely no friends that game, and I don't really make online friends.

I think the game looks great, but afraid that the game is going to die quickly and it will become a wasted purchase. It has happened before with MP only titles.

Are the matchmaking issues exclusive to consoles? I would be buying the PC version.

Klyka

Banned
I have absolutely no friends that game, and I don't really make online friends.

I think the game looks great, but afraid that the game is going to die quickly and it will become a wasted purchase. It has happened before with MP only titles.

Are the matchmaking issues exclusive to consoles? I would be buying the PC version.

Well you're already talking to us here, so no reason not to play with us :p

But honestly, you gotta decide for yourself. SO far everyone I played with said they were having a blast with the game, but tastes differ.
Maybe give it a bit :)

BLunted

Banned
Well you're already talking to us here, so no reason not to play with us :p

But honestly, you gotta decide for yourself. SO far everyone I played with said they were having a blast with the game, but tastes differ.
Maybe give it a bit :)

I have no doubt I would enjoy the game, looks great! Just worried about longevity. You are right though, no harm in waiting a bit to see how things pan out.

CozMick

Banned
Excuses aside, i'm done with this game until there is reason to use the kraken or goliath.

Wraith is op, plain and simple, the stats at launch suggested balance, why? because the majority hadn't unlock the wraith now its the same shit,

Top Bottom