• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

CozMick

Banned
Is Stage 3 Wraith truly unbeatable during the power relay section?

Seriously, Cabots damage buff does jackshit against this monster :(

Armored like a T-1000, speed of an arrow and to top things off there's invis and a doppleganger.

OP to fuck.

Klyka

Banned
Is Stage 3 Wraith truly unbeatable during the power relay section?

Seriously, Cabots damage buff does jackshit against this monster :(

Armored like a T-1000, speed of an arrow and to top things off there's invis and a doppleganger.

OP to fuck.

Stage 3 wraith is by far the easiest monster to kill at Stage 3 because the fight is on your terms.
You defend, you put up the traps, you can properly split up and dictate the fight.
Once his very small armor pool is down you trap him in the dome and kill him.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Man, I love the Kraken, I do fantastic and win a bunch with him.

I absolutely suck with the wraith, despite loving his concept. He feels so frail, I don't understand how everyone finds him OP.

Hit and Run lifestyle with the Wraith. Really gotta pick your battles and honestly... I'd just avoid hitting level 3 in Hunt if you can help it. Run wide circles around straggling Hunters and pick off the slow ones for early strikes - it also forces them stick together and group tight which means you'll have plenty of control of the map to pick your fighting areas. Get up high somewhere (or low and in a deep body of water if you know solid escape routes ahead of time) and bring a lone Hunter into the blender while the rest are in pure react mode. Leave as soon as they attempt to regroup. Rinse repeat until you can basically wipe em all.

If they have a Laz? lol because he can't do shit to stop your movement. AoE attacks are your friend because he'll never keep up with the healing across the group.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I think the Wraith struggles a lot at stage 3 relay fights. It CAN end the game off a single mistake on the hunter side as the DPS from Supernova can wreck people based on their placement, but it really has to keep the timer in mind and not run away to keep armoring up. I think it has to use Decoy to disable traps and mines, too.

BokehKing

Banned
My complaint with randoms, no one wants up, everyone takes off, how am I supposed to heal you if you're running in a different direction..

Plus I feel like the Medic has abilities a Medic should not have, they would be better suited on another character

Tracking gun? Should be on tracker
Gun that buffs damage should be on support class

Anyway, GT= doc vape

I'm in serious disbelief on how OP the wraith is.

I can't believe 2K kept a monster like this.
I am 100% losses against every wraith I've come across with premade and public lobbies.

He can traverse across the map in an instant, he's insanely difficult to track and shoot, and the cool down rate of his attacks are way too quick.

I've talked to many other players I've come across on the PS4 and no one has had a fun experience with the wraith.
Tracking the wraith is more of a burden than it is fun or entertaining.

BashNasty

Hit and Run lifestyle with the Wraith. Really gotta pick your battles and honestly... I'd just avoid hitting level 3 in Hunt if you can help it. Run wide circles around straggling Hunters and pick off the slow ones for early strikes - it also forces them stick together and group tight which means you'll have plenty of control of the map to pick your fighting areas. Get up high somewhere (or low and in a deep body of water if you know solid escape routes ahead of time) and bring a lone Hunter into the blender while the rest are in pure react mode. Leave as soon as they attempt to regroup. Rinse repeat until you can basically wipe em all.

If they have a Laz? lol because he can't do shit to stop your movement. AoE attacks are your friend because he'll never keep up with the healing across the group.

Thanks for the tips, I'll play a couple games with the wraith keeping those in mind and see how I do.

Also, if anyone would like to group up, I'm on Steam as Vincent19. I have a mic, I talk, and I'm a halfway decent hunter. Would love to get some coordinated groups going.

-Deimos

I am 100% losses against every wraith I've come across with premade and public lobbies.

He can traverse across the map in an instant, he's insanely difficult to track and shoot, and the cool down rate of his attacks are way too quick.

I've talked to many other players I've come across on the PS4 and no one has had a fun experience with the wraith.

He's not OP, people just focus way too much on the decoy. If you're shooting the decoy, you're doing it wrong.

Since there's no way of not being the monster at some point, I decided I'm just going to have to practice (offline) so I can at least have some enjoyment when the time comes.

Klyka

Banned

And I am at about 90% winrate against the wraiths I have come across.
You'll get there man, wraith really isn't as crazy as people make him out to be.
It's literally "stand far enough apart, when he decoys just walk away instead of boosting and DPS DPS DPS" The wraith shines when hunters don't DPS. The wraith player freaks the fuck out when hunters dps.

Also, when the wraith picks a fight with you, don't throw up the dome at the start. wait a little bit till his armor is down or until he uses supernova.

Papercuts

I think most of the wraiths I face are just terrible. They drag games out and it's extremely hard to counter the runaway, even if it's not a winning strategy. I find Abe to be pretty effective since the tracking lasts so long, you can see where it is after the cloak wears off, and the stasis grenades can further slow down how far it can move while cloaked, even if he can still get out of the dome when you toss it with wrap chains into warpblast. I like the ones that are actually good, but they're a rare treasure.

I tried a game with Griffin and felt lost, though. Wraith seems really hard to tether, and the sound spikes even when they went off would easily lose track of her through decoy and quick warping. I want to try using him some more against it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
How the hell do you use Lazarus device? Do you still need to be in revive range? The tutorial video makes it seem like it's long range and shit.

Kraken is far and away the best part of this game for me. Goliath is fun and all, but the amount of customization and control you get over every single encounter as Kraken is just perfect. The banshee mines let you set up ambushes the moment the game starts and I have yet to find any ability better for picking targets out of a group than vortex.

Any chance he's too powerful though? I have yet to lose a single match as him and have noticed a similar trend anytime anyone else plays as him as long they're not caught right at the beginning of the match. Kind of afraid they might nerf him hard at some point in here.

Ravijn

How the hell do you use Lazarus device? Do you still need to be in revive range? The tutorial video makes it seem like it's long range and shit.

You can use it when one of your teammates is incapp'ed or completely dead. Best thing is to use your cloak first then switch to the device. Go up to the person you want to bring back and hold down the button. It takes a few seconds to work. It charges up and then zaps 'em back.

Ravijn

Kraken is far and away the best part of this game for me. Goliath is fun and all, but the amount of customization and control you get over every single encounter as Kraken is just perfect. The banshee mines let you set up ambushes the moment the game starts and I have yet to find any ability better for picking targets out of a group than vortex.

Any chance he's too powerful though? I have yet to lose a single match as him and have noticed a similar trend anytime anyone else plays as him as long they're not caught right at the beginning of the match. Kind of afraid they might nerf him hard at some point in here.

If you get the right hunter comp you're going to have a hard time. If they have Val and Griff and are decent players(premade group) you're not going to be able to move at all. Tranq shot + harpoon = game over.

Klyka

Banned
Just wanted to play a round or two as hank to unlock Bucket.

It puts me in as Goliath. I think "heck, well, ok let's just do some reckless and maybe i win or lose at least after I can play Hank"

So I go rock throw lvl 3 from the start. I grab some armor. I find a nice big cliff place and scare birds.
Hunters come along, I jump down cliff. As they come to the edge BAM rock to face, half health off. They jump down, I climb up. As they climb up after me BAM rock to the face, half health off.
This went on until I had given the medic, trapper and assault a strike each. Then I ran and armored up again and hid in a bush. They were running on a cliff above me so I wait and climb up behind them and BAM rock to the back, both trapper and medic instantly down. Then I threw some more rocks and won the round.

At stage 1.
with 3/4 health left.
with just rock throw.

I fucking LOVE rock throw.

Every mode except defend does the dropship
Got it. Thanks!

But yeah i just had a monster round in Evacuation with an AI monster partner from the beginning. Sogood.gif
Set up an ambush and they were done within seconds.

But it gave me an idea for a mode:
2 stage 1 monsters vs 4 hunters

BraXzy

What's everyone's thoughts on this so far then? I was really put off by the negative vibes it got in previews/beta and the whole pre-order crap. It seems like impressions are positive from my skim in the thread?

What's everyone's thoughts on this so far then? I was really put off by the negative vibes it got in previews/beta and the whole pre-order crap. It seems like impressions are positive from my skim in the thread?

It is a lot of fun. My main criticism is that I wish the maps were bigger.

Is anyone else having trouble finding people on PS4? I am in a group of 3 people and can't find two others in matchmaking (hunt).

This is the 4th time it has happened to me.

Gator86

Is anyone else having trouble finding people on PS4? I am in a group of 3 people and can't find two others in matchmaking (hunt).

This is the 4th time it has happened to me.

I wonder if this game is already dead. The matchmaking is fucking terrible. It's nothing but games in progress or as your 5th choice role.

You don't even get progression points for characters if you haven't unlocked them when you're forced into a game in progress. It's ridiculously idiotic.

If you play with bots is everything unlocked or do you go through the progression system to unlock things (characters etc) the same way you do in MP?

Just wanted to play a round or two as hank to unlock Bucket.

It puts me in as Goliath. I think "heck, well, ok let's just do some reckless and maybe i win or lose at least after I can play Hank"

So I go rock throw lvl 3 from the start. I grab some armor. I find a nice big cliff place and scare birds.
Hunters come along, I jump down cliff. As they come to the edge BAM rock to face, half health off. They jump down, I climb up. As they climb up after me BAM rock to the face, half health off.
This went on until I had given the medic, trapper and assault a strike each. Then I ran and armored up again and hid in a bush. They were running on a cliff above me so I wait and climb up behind them and BAM rock to the back, both trapper and medic instantly down. Then I threw some more rocks and won the round.

At stage 1.
with 3/4 health left.
with just rock throw.

I fucking LOVE rock throw.

LOL

Wonder if they plan on ever fixing these shitty servers. Nothing but disconnects after games and "lost session" messages in matchmaking. Give me a fucking break. Maybe there will be good servers DLC.

Jaeger

So, I need to get this game. I dismissed it initially because of all the pre-order/DLC controversy, but after looking at a few reviews and GAF's thoughts, I'm down. How is it on PC? Any issues I should look out for? What's the favored characters/monsters right now?

Kraken looks tight!

GobFather

Do you think, having a mini map or radar, would help? Or will that make it unbalanced?

Papercuts

GGs tonight guys!

After our games I solo queued as the monster for a little bit and ran into a coordinated team. Lazarus/Hank/Abe/Markov is what they ran and man is that one incredibly annoying formation.

Markov was always on point with mines, Laz had a solid retreat field, Abe was always slowing me down and making me always run around in the hunting stage, and Hank was always in the background with his cloak and shield bullshittery. It was so easy to lose sight of Lazarus with all the stuff being thrown at me, and ultimately came down to a relay fight where I was thankfully able to finally focus down Lazarus and knock the rest out like flies.

Closest I've came to losing in Hunt so far. I can still feel my heart beating rapidly, lol.

Fucking hate the wraith. Can't even get near him if he knows what he's doing.

This game looks absolutely incredible at 1440p. Very impressed.

Klyka

Banned
My premade just finished an Evacuation, won every single time. I died on the last mission and I dropped back in.

Sorry I missed you earlier, Patch :(.

It was about entering the mission via dropship. In Defend you just already stand there.
When you die or your whole team dies, you of course still dropship in as respawn.

Klyka

Banned
Do you think, having a mini map or radar, would help? Or will that make it unbalanced?

"Have a minimap?"

You mean the one you have? You can have it constantly on too and just lose some health bars and stuff. Just press TAB on PC or I guess select on whatever console.

My hiding clip nears 300 views. I'm rather please with myself.

Anyway, wildlife can really help the monster a ton.
Playing a match. Early, quickly find monster cause he is dueling with the Crowbilled thing. We catch up but not all closely and prepared and the crowbill goes after us as the monster backs off. It promptly beats us around cause we got domed into a canyon ish area and weren't quickly able to evade/kill it. Two of us downed by the crowbill, the other off too the side are also picked off.

Essentially tag-teamed by the monster+crowbill. Match over in like 2.5 minutes and stage 1.

deoee

People in the official forums claim to have massive matchmaking issues (especially on consoles) for me on pc it works fine with every partysize i try.

What do you say?

Top Bottom