• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Klyka

Banned
Excuses aside, i'm done with this game until there is reason to use the kraken or goliath.

Wraith is op, plain and simple, the stats at launch suggested balance, why? because the majority hadn't unlock the wraith now its the same shit,

heh, the wraith.
she's pretty fun to fight and kill, especially when you communicate with your team and the wraith player is visibly all "OMG OMG WHAT WHY AM I NOT OP I THOUGHT I AM OP WHAT WHAT NOOOO"

:D

The Foul

Excuses aside, i'm done with this game until there is reason to use the kraken or goliath.

Wraith is op, plain and simple, the stats at launch suggested balance, why? because the majority hadn't unlock the wraith now its the same shit,

Kraken is great at defend, wraith not-so-much. It does get tiring in Skirmish because Hunt is the only mode there and Wraith is the best at that mode, so all you ever face is wraith after wraith after wraith. The tactics to beat it are bewildering compared to how easy it is to destroy hunters (i only played beta wraith tho).

Klyka

Banned
Kraken is great at defend, wraith not-so-much. It does get tiring in Skirmish because Hunt is the only mode there and Wraith is the best at that mode, so all you ever face is wraith after wraith after wraith. The tactics to beat it are bewildering compared to how easy it is to destroy hunters (i only played beta wraith tho).

Usually all you gotta tell people is "spread out and shoot a lot" and "when he decoys, don't use your jetpack, just walk away" cause the decoy will just float around slowly and maybe attack like once or twice.

BokehKing

Banned
Is the ideal trap space confined and small or big?

If big, the people I'm playing with right now just like to walk right up to the monster and die

Klyka

Banned
Goliath, seems to be the only one I come up against

In other news, fuck this rocket pack, always out of gas

You want to try and trap Goliath in an open space with not very high cliffs so that even if he climbs up you can still shoot him from the bottom or barely need any fuel to follow him.

Always try to avoid trapping near a place that has big monsters like the Tyrant or Sloth in it, the monster knows this and will throw you in them.

RedFury

that's my one worry friends didn't get it, and not sure if GAF want to put up with a complete noob...
I've had 3 matches so far with randoms and I've got in those matches in under a minute and we won each one. So I haven't experienced any of the problems people have been talking about...yet. I've really been enjoying myself and I was on the fence. (Ps4,skirmish with randoms)

RedFury

Just want to throw this out there please mark the monster. Press r3 on controller when on the monster to mark him/her/it. My first match I was the only one marking, I was doing a better job keeping the entire team aware of the monster position than our trapper(I was support) was. Also support is awesome! Love sneaking up on a monster while cloaked wait for him to feed/evolve then call an air strike on his ass and take the full load.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is the ideal trap space confined and small or big?

If big, the people I'm playing with right now just like to walk right up to the monster and die

Depends on the monster. Some you DO want to trap in a tight area - some you want to trap in the open.

Wraiths in a closed space are dead meat. Goliath in the open = free. Kraken.... depends on the player, but you usually don't want those guys taking full advantage of their flight stuff at the very least.

Usually all you gotta tell people is "spread out and shoot a lot" and "when he decoys, don't use your jetpack, just walk away" cause the decoy will just float around slowly and maybe attack like once or twice.

That's really not accurate based on my experience playing as the Wraith a lot. My decoy is what nets me most of my kills. Are the wraiths you play against not using decoy and supernova at the same time?

minx

It's not even funny how OP Wraith is in Hunt. If the Wraith player knows what it is doing you will not win. Had a coordinated team of 3 players and one random and we only did one health bar of damage. The Fucking DECOY would bring our health all the way down at stage 3 AND we all had damage reduction buff. Decoy should be used to destroy mines, traps, etc and maybe do a tiny tiny bit of damage. The mobility warp should also be shortened since it can escape a dome before it comes down. Not really sure how turtle rock thought the Wraith in hunt was not OP.

Klyka

Banned
That's really not accurate based on my experience playing as the Wraith a lot. My decoy is what nets me most of my kills. Are the wraiths you play against not using decoy and supernova at the same time?

supernova is just an AOE field so once the decoy leaves it = meh
and the decoy really only properly aggros if the hunters jetpack dodge around or do other stuff.
if you literally just walk around on the ground not giving a fuck the decoy will be all "uh....uh....floating around....uh ok i guess i hit....uh...ok"

Like, Wraith is such a shitter monster,it's not even funny XD

Edit: If you check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuj7GiC2fA#t=14 at the time I designated, you'll see what I mean. The Decoy derps around a LOT and the moment people jetpack dodge or shoot a lot, it gets more aggressive.

But I mean, we all know TRS will nerf the wraith even more cause the whole community is whining and whining and whining. So GG

Just thought that I'd pop in and recommend this site I found on the Evolve official forums. It's a new sort of LFG-site, www.gridom.com, which has been working really great, I highly recommend it. Use it all the time since I can't seem to convince my friends of grabbing this game.

I'd love to get together for a couple of games with my fellow gaffers, so feel free to hit me up on Xbox Live, gamer tag: kortvarsel

and the decoy really only properly aggros if the hunters jetpack dodge around or do other stuff.
if you literally just walk around on the ground not giving a fuck the decoy will be all "uh....uh....floating around....uh ok i guess i hit....uh...ok"

Edit: If you check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuj7GiC2fA#t=14 at the time I designated, you'll see what I mean. The Decoy derps around a LOT and the moment people jetpack dodge or shoot a lot, it gets more aggressive.

But I mean, we all know TRS will nerf the wraith even more cause the whole community is whining and whining and whining. So GG

Yeah it's an AoE field, but that's what your teleport and Abduction is for. You get right in someones face, drop Nova then Decoy. If they aren't jetpacking away they're going to die. Especially if you get an Abduction off and get them away from the healer (or ideally grab the healer themself). Not only that, but when the Decoy has the Nova buff it becomes twice as hard to tell it's the decoy because of the flashing and thrashing around animation. I've never had a Decoy not aggro anything or not be aggressive. From my experience the Decoy goes ham on the first thing it sees.

Side note for wraith players, the above combo (decoy and nova) can let you kill any monster in the game without taking damage at level 1. Just make sure you let the decoy run its entire duration before you join in attacking.

edit: Watched the video, dunno why the Decoy isn't doing much. Possibly because combat wasn't initiated by either side or something.

DY_nasty

Damn shame too. I'm legit shook by good Kraken and Goliath players (level 3 rock throw and lightning strike are just insane. god help you if they have cooldown reduction or damage buff).

Wraith games are more annoying at times, but once you stop letting the Wraith dictate the match its usually done a deal.

Proc

Just to chime in: I find this game fun. The matches are just the right length to hammer out a couple. Seems like it has quite the skill ceiling too. I grabbed the ps4 version during the e3 preorder sale and don't regret it. I just wish I had the pc version instead but I'm slowly getting used to the controls.

BlazinAm

The magma skin for the Goliath is pretty disappointing, you look like your level 3 monster form level 1 with the way the color shading is. Would be kinda funny if they pull a League thing and release a shamrock skin for him.

Currently grinding the unlocks on solo right now.

Klyka

Banned
The magma skin for the Goliath is pretty disappointing, you look like your level 3 monster form level 1 with the way the color shading is. Would be kinda funny if they pull a League thing and release a shamrock skin for him.

Magma skin works pretty well on the desert maps btw!
I prefer the savage skin for night time and default skin for normal day time.

Gator86

Its the same for skirmish, here I was thinking the problem was isolated to evac pvp. It is truly fucked to play a game with a good team, people actually using their mics and having fun, then skirmish forces you to be the monster 3 games in a row, forcing me to leave. It is my 5th fucking choice TRS, why repeatedly force me to not have fun? FFS i'm putting this game down till they add a "stop punishing me by forcing me to be the monster constantly because I can't party up with one other person because my friends didn't buy your overpriced fucking game" button.

UGH I want to like this game so much.

The bold basically sums up my response to this game. I want to like it but it insists on jamming a middle finger in my face every time I try. The pointless progression systems, terrible matchmaking, relentless insistence on forcing the monster role, poorly balanced wraith, and hundred other idiotic design choices are endlessly irritating.

So I'm finally thinking about pulling the trigger on this game, but I never can in good conscious pay full price...could anyone point in the right direction for maybe the best deal out there for a PC version? I know GMG usually has a coupon or something, but are there any other retailers I haven't considered?

Ravijn

So I'm finally thinking about pulling the trigger on this game, but I never can in good conscious pay full price...could anyone point in the right direction for maybe the best deal out there for a PC version? I know GMG usually has a coupon or something, but are there any other retailers I haven't considered?

I think GMG is your best bet now.

GMG ViP prices

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I've even had the decoy itself camp my incapped body and nearly kill me right there.

DY_nasty

in my experience, bots don't respond to being knocked around well AT ALL

they stay tight and try to take advantage of team focused buffs at every opportunity.

also - at level 3 vs relay > take the time to go hunt down a solid buff if you have the chance. lvl 3 monster w/ max rock throw or fire breath? bwahahaha come get ya whoopin /killercroc

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shit, looks like my leaderboard stats got flung backwards. :|

Something funny to try on bots is play wraith with level 3 supernova from the start and kill them at the dropship.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Fuck Laz, playing when the Medic is him is downright infuriating. "Dont worry bro I'll just let you die!" Thanks a lot, fuckface.

I was just reading through MacMan's posts and apparently they're going to change the trapper dome audio cue so monsters can't hear it. They're also thinking about reducing the effect of crowd control on Kraken when he's flying.

There are plans in place for ranked matchmaking and a micropatch system to make balancing quick and easy. Sounds like both are several weeks out though.

Top Bottom