• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Realyn

Tips on tracking the Wraith?

Assault and Support follow him(Radioactive Dust Tagging doesn't hurt) while Caira and trapper cut him off. Don't throw until you saw him use jumps. The moment you play against a good monster and he checks for the trapper and avoids his direction you're fucked. But not like the game is balanced either way so meh.

Playing against a Wraith with a team full of randoms and no mics is a sentence to death.
Idc what anybody says,
The game isn't even fun when someone picks the wraith (which everyone is seeming to do now a days).
They need to dumb down his abilities a bit so that random hunters have a remote chance

Gator86

I was just reading through MacMan's posts and apparently they're going to change the trapper dome audio cue so monsters can't hear it. They're also thinking about reducing the effect of crowd control on Kraken when he's flying.

There are plans in place for ranked matchmaking and a micropatch system to make balancing quick and easy. Sounds like both are several weeks out though.

Several weeks out before any changes? No way this isn't on its way back to gamefly by then. I'm astounded they had so many betas and such to still wind up with so many issues with basic game design and balance.

If the community sticks around, this will be a really solid GOTY edition down the line. The matchmaking and other issues make it a pretty sketchy purchase at the moment, in my opinion.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
That's the whole point?

you think he's going to charge in where the monster is to pop a bubble for 25%? lol

I just think he is a shitty character. A medic that barely heals, it's super frustrating to be playing good, but not being able to keep going cause you gotta wait till you die! It's especially bad since the it's easier for the monster to single out the trapper and take out the dome with a team with Laz. I still havent gotten my hands on the 3rd Medic, but she looks pretty good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just think he is a shitty character. A medic that barely heals, it's super frustrating to be playing good, but not being able to keep going cause you gotta wait till you die! It's especially bad since the it's easier for the monster to single out the trapper and take out the dome with a team with Laz. I still havent gotten my hands on the 3rd Medic, but she looks pretty good.

I think Laz really needs reload speed to work well since his burst heal is on a much faster cooldown. That way people aren't entering the fight half dead.

I do think he has the biggest impact on the game compared to any other hunter though. The whole team dynamic will change a lot.

Caira is really nice, too. I've been finding it hard to put Val on a team lately as it feels like her healing just gets beat out by damage fairly easily. If people have strikes and it's the late game it's nearly useless against bursty attacks like rock throw, lighting strike and supernova. Her tranq feels like her best asset.

I was just reading through MacMan's posts and apparently they're going to change the trapper dome audio cue so monsters can't hear it. They're also thinking about reducing the effect of crowd control on Kraken when he's flying.

There are plans in place for ranked matchmaking and a micropatch system to make balancing quick and easy. Sounds like both are several weeks out though.

Yeah, I was reading that too. I'm not really a fan of either change. Ultimately the trapper soundclip would be solely changed to cater to the wraith being able to escape a thrown dome from center mass, but this feels like it just punishes the other monsters more when if anything they should look at the wraith being able to do that in the first place.

As for Kraken, that's more layered since I feel he's the most likely to have a straight up counter team that exploits his weaknesses hard, but if they do stuff like make Val's tranq less effective on him it in turn is basically nerfing her.

I think Laz really needs reload speed to work well since his burst heal is on a much faster cooldown. That way people aren't entering the fight half dead.

I do think he has the biggest impact on the game compared to any other hunter though. The whole team dynamic will change a lot.

Caira is really nice, too. I've been finding it hard to put Val on a team lately as it feels like her healing just gets beat out by damage fairly easily. If people have strikes and it's the late game it's nearly useless against bursty attacks like rock throw, lighting strike and supernova. Her tranq feels like her best asset.

Yeah, I was reading that too. I'm not really a fan of either change. Ultimately the trapper soundclip would be solely changed to cater to the wraith being able to escape a thrown dome from center mass, but this feels like it just punishes the other monsters more when if anything they should look at the wraith being able to do that in the first place.

As for Kraken, that's more layered since I feel he's the most likely to have a straight up counter team that exploits his weaknesses hard, but if they do stuff like make Val's tranq less effective on him it in turn is basically nerfing her.

Totally agree on Val.

They REALLY need to up her DMG rate for the heal gun.
Shit runs out too fast also and is practically useless against a teammate whos being directly attacked at Lv.2 or 3 :(

Several weeks out before any changes? No way this isn't on its way back to gamefly by then. I'm astounded they had so many betas and such to still wind up with so many issues with basic game design and balance.

If the community sticks around, this will be a really solid GOTY edition down the line. The matchmaking and other issues make it a pretty sketchy purchase at the moment, in my opinion.

It sounds like there are patches to fix issues lined up but I don't know which platforms they're for or when those will be.

BokehKing

Banned
Honestly? Single player mode is better, at least it changes up the game modes
Plus no half empty lobbies, waiting, just jump in and go

Surface of Me

Why can't people understand not to revive when Lazarus is on the team? Still seeing players in their 30's doing it. Bots are smarter than humans.

This is why Laz is a bad character. If you're in a fight and can take down the monster, it's still best to revive people imminently rather than wait if you can.

I just played kraken against val and I gotta say the tranq gun was unbearable. It absolutely cripples him and it was a huge amount of work to get away from it for even a moment.

It varies from map to map though, open air is very dangerous.

This is why Laz is a bad character. If you're in a fight and can take down the monster, it's still best to revive people imminently rather than wait if you can.

He's not a bad character, you just have to use him in a completely different way than the other medics. If you're not communicating or strategizing to use him well I could see where that becomes a problem. It requires the team to be perhaps a bit more restrained but between his cloak and the rez ability I think he is one of the more useful medics. Are you playing on mic with the other people on your team?

He's not a bad character, you just have to use him in a completely different way than the other medics. If you're not communicating or strategizing to use him well I could see where that becomes a problem. It requires the team to be perhaps a bit more restrained but between his cloak and the rez ability I think he is one of the more useful medics. Are you playing on mic with the other people on your team?
He's frustrating as a monster, as you tend to disregard dead folks, at which point they come right back up.

Surface of Me

A team working together can get a Wraith, thought against it more than anything everyone needs to be on point. Support class is really handy against it. Bucket can lay down turrets to do good damage and take out decoys quickly, Cabot can Nuclear Dust the sucker and deal damage as it runs away, and Hank should be constantly shielding the current person being attacked.

Ha I didn't even read a single line after the first few names. That was Ubisoft-level ridiculousness. And so slow too!

I was like TRS isn't a big studio, this should be easy, then came 10 minutes of 2K staffers.

Why can't people understand not to revive when Lazarus is on the team? Still seeing players in their 30's doing it. Bots are smarter than humans.

Yeah, like come on. If you are Laz use your cloak+revive, don't cloak and run off to try sniping from a distance.

Totally agree on Val.

They REALLY need to up her DMG rate for the heal gun.
Shit runs out too fast also and is practically useless against a teammate whos being directly attacked at Lv.2 or 3 :(

Val is quite versatile.

Decent healing.
Tranq for combat by slowing fast monsters in a dome and ensure players don't lose track + slow down for hunting and chasing.
Sniper for damage+multiplier.

Seems like a hard character cause there are 3 tasks to juggle.

Val is quite versatile.

Decent healing.
Tranq for combat by slowing fast monsters in a dome and ensure players don't lose track + slow down for hunting and chasing.
Sniper for damage+multiplier.

Seems like a hard character cause there are 3 tasks to juggle.

Yep, hence Assault is super simple and instantly gratifying.... but he isn't for me. I love my medics/support classes ala Battlefield 1942 and such =/

Gator86

Finally got some great games going with a group of randoms who stuck around for a while. Eventually one guy has to leave. Next game, matchmaking sticks me as the monster, even though it's my fifth choice, and leaves the assault slot, my second choice, open.

Shocked-Doc-Rivers.gif

Simply incomprehensibly shitty matchmaking.

Bad7667

Is wraith making the game less enjoyable for anyone else? Every time I see I'm against a wraith I just want to leave and find another game.

So far my matches go like this. looking for the fucker for 20 mins while they take forever to evolve and the trapper almost always uses the dome on the illusion. When they finally decide to fight, its impossible to win.

I'm sure there is a certain group of hunters that can make it easier but for now its just 20 mins of boredom, followed by frustration.

I'm sure there is a certain group of hunters that can make it easier but for now its just 20 mins of boredom, followed by frustration.
Even good hunters are getting tired of it. I watched a streamer just say "fuck it" and set up defenses by the power relay and waited for the entire round. And they ended up winning - Markov's mines are no joke against a Wraith who has no real ranged attacks.

Is wraith making the game less enjoyable for anyone else? Every time I see I'm against a wraith I just want to leave and find another game.

So far my matches go like this. looking for the fucker for 20 mins while they take forever to evolve and the trapper almost always uses the dome on the illusion. When they finally decide to fight, its impossible to win.

I have no problems with Wraiths in SP... MP? ...yeah not so much

Also,

I still don't know how I feel about Hunters being able to eventually redrop

I've lost too many matches out of sheer attrition and, I don't know, it just doesn't feel right....

Gator86

Basically. Unless you're in a premade group fighting a shitty wraith, it's probably going to wind up exactly how you described. Definitely one of the most poorly balanced characters I've encountered in any competitive game in quite some time.

maneil99

Also,

I still don't know how I feel about Hunters being able to eventually redrop

I've lost too many matches out of sheer attrition and, I don't know, it just doesn't feel right....

As a monster you should try to disengage if you have lost your armor or go for the power core if there is only one survivor. Plus hunters can come back with two strikes making them a instant kill. There is nothing OP about redrops

Yup, I was having alot of fun the first two days, now its 24/7 wraiths. I haven't bothered to play today because of it. A character that requires a pre made team to communicate in order to beat isn't balanced and the whole " Pick these hunters to beat it " is a joke as the game features blind picks, you don't know what monster you are against until everyone has ready uped

mbmonk

Tonight was a complete bust in terms of having fun while playing this game. I wasted a hour and half trying to find a fun game.

EDIT: I played only Skirmish -> Hunt mode

In 2 games I played, the teammate trapper never found the monster, and we had to sit at the power relay waiting for the pain train to come clean us out. Not to mention those same two games had medics who refused to heal the party during the game. So our team ran around with, on average, half health the entire hunt. If we did find the monster, it would have made quick work of us. Crappy trappers ruin the game. I don't want to play as the trapper class, but I feel as if I almost have to in order to actually find & dome the monster.

The rest of the time was being thrown into games with only 2 other players in them or being slotted into my last pick of classes which happened 3 games in a row.

The game has some good highs, but tonight was an extreme low. And since I don't have a ton of free time to play, wasting an hour and half trying to have fun is a big strike against this game in my book.

Tonight was a complete bust in terms of having fun while playing this game. I wasted a hour and half trying to find a fun game.

EDIT: I played only Skirmish -> Hunt mode

In 2 games I played, the teammate trapper never found the monster, and we had to sit at the power relay waiting for the pain train to come clean us out. Not to mention those same two games had medics who refused to heal the party during the game. So our team ran around with, on average, half health the entire hunt. If we did find the monster, it would have made quick work of us. Crappy trappers ruin the game. I don't want to play as the trapper class, but I feel as if I almost have to in order to actually find & dome the monster.

The rest of the time was being thrown into games with only 2 other players in them or being slotted into my last pick of classes which happened 3 games in a row.

The game has some good highs, but tonight was an extreme low. And since I don't have a ton of free time to play, wasting an hour and half trying to have fun is a big strike against this game in my book.

Completely understand man

I have limited time myself (job, kids, etc) and it feels like the game will waste your time very easily. The highs are there, but holy shit at the lows. The "30 seconds of fun" barely shows itself at both an alarming and disconcerting rate. :/
I mean, I ain't asking for a Titanfall gameplay loop here, but C'mon....

Oh man, just destroyed as Kraken, I was on point. Just over 3 minute match, no health damage plus stage 1.

Right off the bat, picked up the tactic of throwing bmines at the spawn to force hunters onto them and soften them immediately. Laz means slow heals.
Quickly moved ahead and bumbled a bit while rapidly eating attracting birds. Played into my favour as they came rushing over without healing up.
Backed up while throwing down more bmines. They would splinter so I'd pounce for some damage before being shot off.
Dune beetle jumps in, trapper domes.
I fire off vortexes and maneuver. Trapper rounds a corner and I pounce-down before being shot down. Everyone was softened up making downs easier.
Spot the Laz and run him down not letting him out of sight. Don't know what happened to the support.
Lastly it is just the Assault and I pounce-incap. And its gg.

mbmonk

Completely understand man

I have limited time myself (job, kids, etc) and it feels like the game will waste your time very easily. The highs are there, but holy shit at the lows. The "30 seconds of fun" barely shows itself at both an alarming and disconcerting rate. :/
I mean, I ain't asking for a Titanfall gameplay loop here, but C'mon....

I know the feeling. Kids the ultimate time sink. :)

I will keep the game for awhile, but maybe with my limited free time a team play heavy game was a mistake. Oh well, time will tell. :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
LMAO. They need to nerf the decoy ASAP. We tried our best though.

GGs

I just realized you actually used the burst heal after the initial hit, and I still almost died.

And we were on day 3 in evac with the autobalance on our side. ;_;

Gator86

One of our regulars is going to be out of town for a couple weeks, so our GAF group needs to recruit some new people. I'm animlboogy on Steam, add me and say hello if you want a semi-regular hunter team, or to play the monster against us.

We're all mostly gaffers who know each other from CS:GO, so it'll be nice to get some new blood into the mix.

The Wraith is so squishy that coordinated parties absolutely destroy them, though. Even at level 3, they aren't a huge problem.

Easier said than done to balance it all. Honestly, any major nerf and the Wraith will be totally useless...

That's completely false. It has slightly less armor and health than the other monsters but it's far from fragile. The Wraith's ridiculous mobility alone more than makes up for it considering its hiding behind decoys and teleporting around like crazy making it impossible to shoot or stay close if you're an assault, for instance. If anything, it's harder to kill than the others in addition to being able to put out just as much, if not more damage, and being completely unable to avoid once it starts focusing on you.

So I was playing Evac again and somehow for what seems like the hundreth time, after day one or two of evac, we get transported/changed to a pure Hunt lobby. Thanks!

But the best part was the glitches. I got to stage 3. I noticed the trapper was never trapping me, then I understood why. The trapper was replaced by a player, who somehow morphed into one of the BioStar or whatever generic soldiers. Had a minigun and everything, like he was an assault class. Then I started getting "network issues, may affect gameplay" popups and I noticed no matter whether I ate the dead hunters I was killing or not, Laz would run over and revive. I kept killing and kept killing and had all 4 hunters wiped out but did not win. I found out later, according to one of my XBL friends who was a hunter, Daisy was still sitting about 300 yards away from the Power Relay, walking in a small circle. So I go to destroy the relay. Get about 80% done with the hunters just starting to drop from their ship I guess, the counter had hit 0, and the game disconnects me. Fuck this game.

Okay, just got done with an hour+ session of MP EVAC

...seriously, I'm about to fucking bail on this game.

For everyone one victory, I've encountered 3 or more failures for the following reasons:

- OP Wraith.... no seriously, it's fucking OP and just generally unfun to fight. Period.

- BOT Hunter AI is borderline non-existent when it matters. I was playing nest with just me and another player. Monster hatches an egg and comes after us. We're bolting for the eggs and destroying them fairly quickly. Out of nowhere, AI Maggie drops a dome and traps us with 2 monsters.... and yeah, we all go down immediately.
Seriously, the SP "Campaign" at this point is broken. In MP, the AI Hunters are a liability.

- I'm still fascinated with how dumb the average player is IE: don't play their class, wander off, don't run to hide when the fight is going south, etc.

Also, on a side note, the loadtimes in this game are hilariously long at points. Also, the match-making is indeed ass... that or nobody is playing, which yeah, that's a HUGE concern this early on.

I'm gonna go one more round tonight and sleep on it. BestBuy is currently offering $40 for trade-in... might just put that towards GTAV

Klyka

Banned
That's completely false. It has slightly less armor and health than the other monsters but it's far from fragile. The Wraith's ridiculous mobility alone more than makes up for it considering its hiding behind decoys and teleporting around like crazy making it impossible to shoot or stay close if you're an assault, for instance. If anything, it's harder to kill than the others in addition to being able to put out just as much, if not more damage, and being completely unable to avoid once it starts focusing on you.

Wraith has half the amount of armor than Goliath and has about a quarter less health.

Top Bottom