• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Mdk7

Am I the only one who wants a mode where you need to capture the Monster, instead of killing it?
No idea how it can work, but sounds more interesting to me. Maybe a mode where wildlife is amped up, but the actual Monster does not need to be killed, only captured, or trapped long enough for a dropship to get it.

Could definitely be fun.

derFeef

That's not really going to be much different than killing it though.

I think it can be. Instead of pumping DPS into the monster, you need to hold it in place, or guide it to a place (the monster would not know the area). But the classes are not built for that I guess.

andycapps

Am I the only one who wants a mode where you need to capture the Monster, instead of killing it?
No idea how it can work, but sounds more interesting to me. Maybe a mode where wildlife is amped up, but the actual Monster does not need to be killed, only captured, or trapped long enough for a dropship to get it.

Harpoon only mode where the monster is trying to get out of a map while the hunters are all armed with harpoons where they can drag him to a zone where a dropship will pick the monster up? Of course the monster can hit the harpoons off so it would be a constant battle of attrition. Something like that?

I don't know if that would actually work unless the harpoons were harder for the monster to knock off.

Mdk7

BTW, a little something i'm still working on...
You might (hopefully) enjoy it! :)

B-Ir2mgIQAAQi2U.png

Its weird because I play with ransoms almost exclusively and I rarely have a situation where people aren't at least trying to work together. People are obviously still leaning roles and characters so occasionally there is a little confusion but the game is a week old so that's to be expected. I very rarely have games that are blowouts either way and if I do it generally involves catching the monster early and beating it down. So just as a counterpoint I've had plenty of fun just teaming up with random people and playing.

andycapps

What's going on with the game? It won many E3 awards and then nothing. No-one is talking about it.

Well the games media isn't going to have much to say about it. They don't have time to play ongoing multiplayer games continually. They have to bang out a review and then on to the next 5 games.

andycapps

This thread is also pretty dead compared to say, Destiny. The media talked about Titanfall a lot more too.

Those are a lot more the games media's style. One is made by the makers of Halo, the other by the original makers of COD. This one is much more niche and demands that players learn tactics.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Joined a game and played as the wraith for the first time. Lost, I kept getting buttons confused. :/

I really like Cabot, dusting and then using the rail gun through walls is so fun. Got the final hit on the monster in a match through a cliff.

minx

I don't know why but Wraith is so easy to kill compare to others.

Well it has less health and armor but you must not be playing against Wraiths that know what they are doing then. If you use smell bonus as a Wraith then there is no way you should be caught in the dome against your will. Wraith just has too much mobility and misdirection.

Well it has less health and armor but you must not be playing against Wraiths that know what they are doing then. If you use smell bonus as a Wraith then there is no way you should be caught in the dome against your will. Wraith just has too much mobility and misdirection.

Still I believe kraken is more difficult to kill. she is fast and she can fly :)

andycapps

I agree, it's not easy to beat unless you're playing someone that doesn't know what they're doing, or if your team is just that good.

deoee

BTW, a little something i'm still working on...
You might (hopefully) enjoy it! :)

B-Ir2mgIQAAQi2U.png

Wow, superb!

Very nice work and appeal!

The Behemoth looks awesome too :) Can't wait :D

May I use some of that as an Avatar (Bucket when you're done *_*) ?

The Foul

Just played a bunch as support, haven't up until now. That lazer gun hank has is super weak. Even concentrated headshots didn't hurt the monster as much as the look/sound/feel would have you believe. Didn't find him much fun, will have to offline spam out his ranks to get bucket and cabot and kinda not looking forward to it :/

Whats ppls main hunter and perk? Get a bit of strategy discussion going, I'm not 100% confident I'm using the right perks for the right job.

Typically I chose Abe with reload/recharge. The time it takes to reload the shotgun is perfect to switch to the stasis grenade, throw one and switch back for another volley, repeat. Next would be Val with weapon switch, its a good feeling cycling tranq, weakpoint then drain medgun repeat at top speed, feels responsive.

Skyzard

Banned
Just played a bunch as support, haven't up until now. That lazer gun hank has is super weak. Even concentrated headshots didn't hurt the monster as much as the look/sound/feel would have you believe. Didn't find him much fun, will have to offline spam out his ranks to get bucket and cabot and kinda not looking forward to it :/

Might help to have someone like Laz put on damage spots for more points.

Best reliable thing about Hank is the shield, I mean it basically cancels out the monster's attacks. Yet it's used the least. When you get the global average scores it shows 1K on shield, 4K on rifle.

Maybe they don't want to draw the attention of the monster or something.

Tabasco

Only a very good team can beat the Wraith, otherwise there is no chance at all.

Yes, I still think the Wraith is OP.
Ironically, I can hardly win matches as the Wraith.

There must be something I'm not doing right. I use the decoy pretty frequently but in the end I just get beaten down.

andycapps

There must be something I'm not doing right. I use the decoy pretty frequently but in the end I just get beaten down.

The problem is that a good wraith will use decoys and run away and feed until they reach level 3. Beating a level 3 wraith is pretty rough, but doable. Going to be interesting to see if everyone jumps to Goliath when they inevitably nerf the wraith, or if they go to the kraken.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Whats ppls main hunter and perk? Get a bit of strategy discussion going, I'm not 100% confident I'm using the right perks for the right job.

Typically I chose Abe with reload/recharge. The time it takes to reload the shotgun is perfect to switch to the stasis grenade, throw one and switch back for another volley, repeat. Next would be Val with weapon switch, its a good feeling cycling tranq, weakpoint then drain medgun repeat at top speed, feels responsive.

Abe's my most played, but I always go for Quick Switch. It helps a lot for me to be able to switch and throw a stasis grenade at the speed of light, or quickly swap to the tracking dart when a dome goes down to keep a ping on the monster. Along with throwing the dome, quickly switch to stasis and get them slow right away.

Caira has been my second most played, but I find myself going back and forth between Reload Speed and Capacity Increase. I like having more grenades to shoot out of both napalm and healing, but the reload suuuuucks.

minx

I am usually Medic because I feel it is the most important hunter and the hunter the monster will be targeting if they know what they are doing. Because of this I will almost always choose jet pack recharge because not only does it help me catch up the the monster but it also helps me Dodge attacks and fly from high perch to high perch.

Almost all other classes I choose jet pack recharge as well because it works in and out of combat.

pronk420

i really like the support, and luckily i've gotten it in every online match I've played so far except one where I was the monster. the air strike is pretty satisfying and i prefer using the buff weapon to the gun anyway.

the game is a lot of fun, but i feel like it might be a little lacking in variety after a while, since the hunts tend to take the same form every time. perhaps i need to try the other game modes though (i've just been playing the one with the power relay)

WatTsu

Finally got a chance to check this out before work and I like it. I am no good at it but I like it. Medic is my class of choice mostly because I'm a terrible shot, and I've been leveling her up in the iOS game (which is weird but I like it).

Hopefully I'll figure it out eventually.

KdylanR92

The jetpack recharge perk is really the only perk i use beside the decrease incoming damage one.

As for classes, I main Support but I do know what I'm doing if i get Trapper

I usually play with the same rotation of people, none of which ever thought of trying the medic, so I usually go with Caira. I usually just stay back and spam need bombs and help with the tracking, so I use the extra rounds to pop off another shot before reloading

Played solo and unlocked the Kraken, now maybe I like playing Monster more, even tough it seems harder.

It's easy and enjoyable to play as kraken. Just keep your distance with hunters and try to reach level 3 before attacking. I never lost a match as kraken except defend :) defend is so hard for me to win

IcyEyes

I played only 1 matches with the Wraith and I was impressed by how powerful she is.
I think (but it's only my opinion) with the Wraith you need to keep moving and cause panic. With this behavior hunters won't have time to understand what happen.

derFeef

It's easy and enjoyable to play as kraken. Just keep your distance with hunters and try to reach level 3 before attacking. I never lost a match as kraken except defend :) defend is so hard for me to win

Being able to evolve seems my number one problem though, even with the fast eating perk. I am so unpatient :)

Spinluck

I straight clown teams with Wraith shenanigans. So fun. I have lost to a few really good ones that are just really well coordinated. These teams usually feature a Lazarus who manages their fuel, positioning, and invisibility really well.

If they split into groups of two or one of them gets left too far behind it's over. Also just stealthing the whole time staying on their tracks and circling them the entire time is the best feeling. I usually initiate contact when I like the area they're going to trap me in. And for the Wraith I prefer these areas to have layers/verticality and lots of places for me to flee and pick them apart. I also like the area to have some challenging wildlife to give them fits.

Lazarus is usually my first target if he's on the team. If he goes invisible I just follow his jet fuel trial. Hunters need to realize that you don't need to use that when you're invisible and still potentially in sight. If it's Val instead, I look to see if there's a Hank on the squad, if not she's toast. If there's a Hank I target him first instead.

Good players will know not to fire at decoy and just head for where they feel you've fled, so I instead use it as a means to setup easy stealth attacks or bait easily fooled trappers into using their dome on it. Abduction is good to snag targets from afar and stealth pounce for easy kills. I also use it to bait them by abducting downed Hunters. I save Supernova for when they fall for the bait or if I get them bunched up together-- in emergencies I use it to pressure 1-2 of them into a corner. Sometimes to chip at the assaults shield or to take him out when it's gone. Warp blast is great for crowd control, stopping revives, and escaping pressure. For assault, Parnell I feel is one of the best against her as he just never goes away and can pressure the Wraith into running with some decent back up. Idk who it is but the guy with the Stasis grenades give the Wraith fits. I went against one who threw those fucking things at Aaron Rodgers levels of accuracy.

Kraken continues to be my worst monster. I just cannot figure it out with him. Yet the best monster player I've witnessed was a Kraken.

SMZC

Just had some amazing games as a monster against some very good team. They were relentless when chasing me down, and very effective in combat, quite a breath of fresh air from the usual shitty and uncoordinated teams that it's common to face in matchmaking. I kept switching up my monsters; ironically, the only time I lost was with the Wraith. That didn't stop some asshole later on from messaging me about how much of a pathetic loser I was for choosing that monster, though.

Klyka

Banned
So all of a sudden, for no reason at all and without me having changed anything, the game which I have been running on all "very high" since the beginning has now decided that instead of using 3584MB of VRAM (aka the GOOD VRAM of my 970) it will now use 3661MB of VRAM on any setting above all "medium".

Which means that my 970 shits the fucking bed cause it has to use the POS 512mb nvidia decided to tack on there. So now I either have to play on all medium for no reason or I take some nice and hefty framerate drops down to fucking 30 or lower at times.

Just.

Just wtf?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Abduction has to be the coolest move out of any of the monsters. Pulled one off and I snagged someone and dropped them outside of a dome the trapper put up.

You can also do cool stuff like abduct far away into nothing but a pile of birds to give off a misleading cue for the hunters to check out. And abduct downed bodies.

sjay1994

Abduction has to be the coolest move out of any of the monsters. Pulled one off and I snagged someone and dropped them outside of a dome the trapper put up.

You can also do cool stuff like abduct far away into nothing but a pile of birds to give off a misleading cue for the hunters to check out. And abduct downed bodies.

Its also really great at getting out of a dome,

I heard a dome pop, used abduct and I was able to escape the dome.

For the second night in a row I'm having issues finding a game... tips or is it broken for someone else too? On XB1...

Edit: nevermind... it's working now. Thank god...

realzzz

Neo Member
Just got the game having a lot of fun but the friendlys do not stick together if theres some xbox one players PM me I need people that understands the game to be able to dominate !

mbmonk

So I was the last human player left in the character selection screen. So I quit out seeing as nobody else is there.... 1 minute penalty before my next game... Come on:(

I have been trying to play with bucket 3 games in a row now. The cycle is join a game in progress, take control of a character I dont want to play, finish the game, and everyone leaves. Rinse and repeat. It would be nice to get to pick my character and play that character :(

Lol there's a cupcake on the seat next to the Support in the dropship. As you're about to drop, hold down + right on the analog stick and you should see it just as you jump.

-Deimos

Lol there's a cupcake on the seat next to the Support in the dropship. As you're about to drop, hold down + right on the analog stick and you should see it just as you jump.
In early builds of the game, the monster turned into a cupcake when it died because the death animation wasn't finished yet.

Top Bottom