• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Klyka

Banned
I've already gotten 42 hours out of evolve. That's insane. I don't ever usually be on a game that long

tons of hours for me too, which for this kinda game is totally not the norm for me.

I need to play more evacuation again,I forgot how fun the modifiers and such are

Now the level of play is increasing (Xbox One player) - albeit it slowly - I'm enjoying it a lot more. Monsters are playing smarter to avoid trappers splitting from the team. Support is now focusing on Support rather than blindly firing at monsters. The moments of inaction when teams are aimlessly trundling after the monster are becoming rarer.

There's a good game here, I just hope the playerbase stays healthy enough to support it.

Klyka

Banned
I feel Evolve is one of the most rewarding multiplayer games I have played in quite a while.
Whether as monster or as hunter.

Bizazedo

I feel Evolve is one of the most rewarding multiplayer games I have played in quite a while.
Whether as monster or as hunter.

The best praise I've been able to give is that, when my team loses, I can point to where "Yep...WE screwed up here....and here...."

Even against the Wraith.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The best praise I've been able to give is that, when my team loses, I can point to where "Yep...WE screwed up here....and here...."

Even against the Wraith.
I feel the same as monster.I only roll Kraken & when I lose I can pinpoint almost exactly where I F'd up. Love it.

Klyka

Banned

Even against the Wraith.

Agreed.
And for me, I can add that even when I lose a round, I still had fun.
Not a lot of games make the round you are losing fun.

This game is so much fun....when it works.

Finally got a full game of friends together to play last night, taking turns being the monster. We were plagued with disconnects and general network issues all night though.

Turtle Rock definitely need to issue some balancing / stability patches for this game. Wraith is still vastly over powered (there is absolutely no reason for the decoy to actually cause damage to hunters), the progression system doesn't make much sense (why can't I upgrade Markov's lightning gun and assault rifle up to level 3 until I upgrade arc mines to level 2?), respawn timers should include the drop ship animation, and basic game setup options like random map shuffle and random character select should be included as well.

andycapps

This game is so much fun....when it works.

Finally got a full game of friends together to play last night, taking turns being the monster. We were plagued with disconnects and general network issues all night though.

Turtle Rock definitely need to issue some balancing / stability patches for this game. Wraith is still vastly over powered (there is absolutely no reason for the decoy to actually cause damage to hunters), the progression system doesn't make much sense (why can't I upgrade Markov's lightning gun and assault rifle up to level 3 until I upgrade arc mines to level 2?), respawn timers should include the drop ship animation, and basic game setup options like random map shuffle and random character select should be included as well.

I expect some pretty big changes. Turtle Rock has done a great job in the past with their updates for L4D and L4D2.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kinda going on a tangent here, but this illustrates why the idea of giving you higher stats for leveling your characters up is such a horrible one in a game like this. People have complained about this before, but it can't be said enough: Shoehorning in a COD-esque, carrot in the stick leveling up system does Evolve no favors.

Perks are fine and give the game a small degree of customization that doesn't necessarily hurt, but I wish these didn't have to be leveled up either.

Yeah, this has always been my least favorite aspect. Perks are one thing, but I have Abe up to Elite now and seeing stuff like tracking dart duration +10% mostly makes me think...well, that passive benefit could be a big difference relative to other players using the same guy.

Though even here they seem to not touch certain things. IIRC stuff like the medgun is just added duration so any tweak to healing per second would be a big change.

I think she needs a slight buff, but one of the things I think people fail to properly use is the fact that the medbeam range is outrageous. It goes very....very....very far.

Maps / fight locations / players can prevent this from being an advantage, but I don't think enough Val players utilize it.

Additionally.....

COLOR CODING / NAMES UNDER THE LIFEBARS NEED TO BE DISABLED WHEN PLAYING AS THE HUNTER. At least make it slightly harder to zero in on certain classes.

Yeah, that's true. I do think map positioning needs to be a little too ideal for her but I can imagine great scenarios where she's overlooking ontop of a high cliff the monster needs to jump and climb towards, and you have someone like griffin harpooning and denying them from climbing.

I do find her really fun to play though. I love the feeling of quickly swapping and tranqing a monster, healing a bit, then reapplying the shot right before it wears off again. Or rapidly nailing them in the hunting stage.

COLOR CODING / NAMES UNDER THE LIFEBARS NEED TO BE DISABLED WHEN PLAYING AS THE HUNTER.
I'm sure you mean Monster, but I actually didn't notice this until recently. I was relying on visual cues like healing burst and such. But yeah once I realized this I admit it's made things a tad simpler.

minx

I'm sure you mean Monster, but I actually didn't notice this until recently. I was relying on visual cues like healing burst and such. But yeah once I realized this I admit it's made things a tad simpler.

Never noticed this. As the monster I just always memorize the medics name before the match.

Bizazedo

Yes, I meant Monster, I am dumb.

As soon as I saw the Hunters had not only their names, but were color coded to indicate what class they were....

So stupid. It should force the monster to recognize silhouettes or abilities.

Yes, I meant Monster, I am dumb.

As soon as I saw the Hunters had not only their names, but were color coded to indicate what class they were....

So stupid. It should force the monster to recognize silhouettes or abilities.

For some reason I have a really hard time telling the colors apart as monster, the medic's blue is the only one that really pops. There are also some bugs with the UI where the names just won't show up sometimes, it can be an enormous pain in the ass when that happens.

Klyka

Banned
For some reason I have a really hard time telling the colors apart as monster, the medic's blue is the only one that really pops. There are also some bugs with the UI where the names just won't show up sometimes, it can be an enormous pain in the ass when that happens.

that's not a bug usually.

It's either when you have the map open or when they stealthed.
especially the support stealth can make it feel like a bug cause he stealths people who are close

that's not a bug usually.

It's either when you have the map open or when they stealthed.
especially the support stealth can make it feel like a bug cause he stealths people who are close

That's a good point, I often have the map up. It's annoying as hell, though, when I can see the health bars but not the names under them.

And I don't think the monster should have to go off of silhouettes; that's just a barrier to entry for new players without any additional reward to more experienced players.

Bizazedo

That's a good point, I often have the map up. It's annoying as hell, though, when I can see the health bars but not the names under them.

And I don't think the monster should have to go off of silhouettes; that's just a barrier to entry for new players without any additional reward to more experienced players.

Agreed on it being harder for newer players, but do you think it's too easy for monsters to zero in on certain classes now?

Bizazedo

Nope. It's such a key piece of information for the monster that I don't see any value in obfuscation.

Respectfully disagree, then. I think it's pretty easy to tell by silhouettes / abilities and the names / color codes just make it even easier / make target prioritization too easy.

Guile

Banned
Never noticed this. As the monster I just always memorize the medics name before the match.
Loool thats awesome, didn't even think about that before but I will start doing this from now on out, very clever. :D

And to add to the thread, this game is f*cking awesome! Im a huge L4D fan so I was anticipating this for a pretty long time. Have put in 50+ hrs already on XO. I can't even remember the last time I reached that number with a video game that has been out for just a week ^^.

I just unlocked the Wraith.

Did really badly on my first hunt, but it was during Evacuation, and I guess that autobalance meant that the AI team I was facing had extra buffs? Kind of defeats the point of earning the map modifications.

It doesn't seem as easy to get away as I would have figured it'd be for such a weak creature.

Even if you do get away, do you just have to pick up some wildlife and go back to the fight? Seems like that'd get old.

Man, the particle effects on that Supernova, though. It looked like I had switched to a game of Resogun all of a sudden.

Klyka

Banned

Did really badly on my first hunt, but it was during Evacuation, and I guess that autobalance meant that the AI team I was facing had extra buffs? Kind of defeats the point of earning the map modifications.

It doesn't seem as easy to get away as I would have figured it'd be for such a weak creature.

Even if you do get away, do you just have to pick up some wildlife and go back to the fight? Seems like that'd get old.

Man, the particle effects on that Supernova, though. It looked like I had switched to a game of Resogun all of a sudden.

you always have one point in warpblast. you can then use your traversal in a straight line three times and then a warpblast. you can flee any dome with that and won't be caught by it. that's basically the wraith.
don't get caught, eat up to stage 3, fight.
some players mix it up, they are what makes the higher level wraith spam still bearable.

andycapps

Eating the wildlife will only boost your shield and count as progress towards evolving to the next stage. When you evolve, you will get some additional health, but once health is destroyed by the monsters, it's not coming back. But, you can keep eating wildlife to boost your shield back up, it's when they take out your shield that you want to get out of the area and get your shield back if possible.

Papercuts

I just realized that if you're playing the Kraken and are in combat, using airburst without holding any direction will propel your straight upwards.

That would have helped me in a lot of scenarios earlier.

I just realized that if you're playing the Kraken and are in combat, using airburst without holding any direction will propel your straight upwards.

You can jetpack upwards this way as well. Helps with jumping over a charging Goliath.

Finally got the "Ninja Time!" trophy, in the most hilarious way possible. I smell the assault and crouch with the intent to pounce him, but he sees me and starts running towards me... and steps into a plant. I just hovered around and waited for his team to arrive, and vortex'd the shit out of them, giving the plant the time to finish eating him.

derFeef

Played my first two rounds of Evacuation with two friends, it's pretty fun and you unlock stuff fast.
Also Hyde is really fun.

Klyka

Banned
Played my first two rounds of Evacuation with two friends, it's pretty fun and you unlock stuff fast.
Also Hyde is really fun.

it's good isn't it? :D

I'll join you guys next time if you have a spot open.

Also I just played a hilarious round whith a russian trapper who kept saying "the monster is Ukraine and I must hunt it for Mother Russia and Father Putin". We all almost died from laughing.

Thanks a lot for this. I felt like I was missing something, because I stayed in the air a lot more by accident on my first couple rounds.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Also Hyde is really fun.

I'd say Assault is the only class where the first character becomes redundant after you unlock more. Hyde is just better in every way than Markov, it's not even funny. Every other class there are reasons to keep switching between characters even after you get them all.

I'd say Assault is the only class where the first character becomes redundant after you unlock more. Hyde is just better in every way than Markov, it's not even funny. Every other class there are reasons to keep switching between characters even after you get them all.

Hyde is utterly useless against Kraken, and pretty difficult against Wraith. That freaking flamethrower has no range so isn't of much use against flying Kraken and blitzing Wraith. Plus the toxic grenades are just garbage and nothing compared to Markov's mines--though both are junk against Kraken. Hoping Parnell's better, haven't unlocked him.

Markov's mines are incredible for defending relays which, let's face it, is inevitable when fighting a Wraith. Have Cabot with a damage buff and it takes out like a bar and a half of health each.

Papercuts

Went against an Elite Wraith that seemed pretty terrible. I caught him in stage 1 with abe and saw him do stuff like rush right over mines.

Sadly everyone quit out and it highlighted that the AI is atrocious at fighting Wraith. Saw him Decoy in front of me, and I was laying into the real one--AI ignores that and always focus entirely on the fake one. Always. It's basically unwinnable at that point.

Realyn

Yeaah sorry but it's the exact opposite and I'm sure the more expierenced players will agree with me here. Like Revolutionary already said, mining two or three different places and have the medi jump between those is one of the few viable tactics against a level 3 Wraith and well - that happens quite a bit. Hyde's grenades on the other hand ... please. It's a no contest between Mark and Parnell for the Assault spot.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Hyde is utterly useless against Kraken, and pretty difficult against Wraith. That freaking flamethrower has no range so isn't of much use against flying Kraken and blitzing Wraith. Plus the toxic grenades are just garbage and nothing compared to Markov's mines--though both are junk against Kraken. Hoping Parnell's better, haven't unlocked him.

Hyde is pretty great against the Wraith, considering the fire makes it visible when under cloak. I also highly disagree about the grenades, they do a great amount of damage if you lob them correctly.

Markov's mines are incredible for defending relays which, let's face it, is inevitable when fighting a Wraith. Have Cabot with a damage buff and it takes out like a bar and a half of health each.

Mines are so easy as a monster to dodge since you see the arc range and I've beaten a few Wraiths before it got to the defense. Randoms too.

Yeaah sorry but it's the exact opposite and I'm sure the more expierenced players will agree with me here. Like Revolutionary already said, mining two or three different places and have the medi jump between those is one of the few viable tactics against a level 3 Wraith and well - that happens quite a bit. Hyde's grenades on the other hand ... please. It's a no contest between Mark and Parnell for the Assault spot.

Please dont act as if you know better than I by saying "more experienced people will agree", it adds nothing to discussion. See my argument above for the mines vs grenades.

I really thought my statement would be met with unanimous agreement considering most people I play online with agree, guess that proves how different each of the characters are and how preferences go.

100% truthfully, how is it without friends? Is it still fun?

I've only played without friends and I still really like it. It's best to try and grab the characters that least rely on other people. I play trapper a lot so I can try and dictate the fight and will the team in the right direction.

I haven't played a lot though and I imagine friends make it a ton better but its still very enjoyable to me.

The moment someone thinks about buying Evolve, 10 people will shout "DLC THE GAME!" at him until he stops thinking about it :(

Yeah, kinda disappointing.

Uh, I don't think so. I don't think I've ever heard anyone espouse that on the TRS forums.
He really doesn't do anything better than the other Assaults.

I had a strange bug just now. My keyboard inputs for eating and evolving (e and v) were being completely ignored. At one point I had a hunter down and the other three out of LOS, tried to eat him and... nothing. Left the corpse, came back...nothing. Couldn't eat it. Just looking at a body, nothin' doin'. I ran off some, was able to eat some critters until I could evolve, found a nice spot and... couldn't do it. Hit V...nothing.

After spamming the button for a while I eventually started evolving, in the next fight I downed two hunters right next to each other, scared the other two off and went to eat the bodies and again. Nothing.

It was really pissing me off because it ended up costing me quite a bit of health. Same shit when I was stage 3 at the relay, I'd have someone down but couldn't eat them.

The only thing I can think of is that there's some DoT from the toxic grenades that lingers for a long time, either that or a connection issue, some weird stuff was going on with lag as well.

Edit: Double frustration, people were dying and I wasn't getting messages about it. I thought I was about to lose the round when the "you win" message came up. Wat.

Rocketz

I'm dumb and didn't realize you can pick up downed teammates with Val's med gun until yesterday.

I'm so happy that this game plays so well in solo mode. It's nice to just enjoy the game and not have to worry about what my teammates are doing sometimes.

I've only played without friends and I still really like it. It's best to try and grab the characters that least rely on other people. I play trapper a lot so I can try and dictate the fight and will the team in the right direction.

I haven't played a lot though and I imagine friends make it a ton better but its still very enjoyable to me.
I don't have any friends to play evolve with and I find it a lot of fun, even when not playing monster.
If you like playing as the monster like I do, a ton of fun.
Alright, thanks guys. Thinking about picking this up because I quite enjoyed the alpha and want to get into a shooter again. :)

Had a confusing pair of matches. Group with Caira, Hank, Maggie, and Hyde all mastered do a number on me as Goliath, get me down to a sliver of health at stage 2 and I break away and evolve to eventually get the win with one of the guys being pretty salty calling me a pussy for running when I was low health.

Rematch with Val, Abe, Parnel, and Cabot. I get cornered at stage 1, escape a dome attempt, duck into a cave as they pass by and make it to stage 2. They catch me as I come out and beat them down for a fairly clean win and they bail before I can make any snappy remark. :(

Its really satisfying winning as the monster. I played my first game as the kraken and was able to destroy the reactor. Feels good.

I have a question though. What do yall do when you down somebody? I just sit on them and finish them off while fending off the hunters so they cant be revived and just eat whatever damage the rest of the team throws at me. I figured its better to take some damage and have one less player than have more health and the chance of that downed player coming back.

Any pro tips for handling downed hunters?

Top Bottom