• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Man I'm bad at this game... my win/loose ratio has got to be something like 1/6. I want to love this game so bad but it's though when you keep loosing...

minx

Man I'm bad at this game... my win/loose ratio has got to be something like 1/6. I want to love this game so bad but it's though when you keep loosing...

My win loss at a Goliath is an 11. Still have not lost at hunt in this game or died as a Goliath. I'm addicted I have never played a game this much before was so soon. Have over 40 hours logged.

vazel

Banned
Sacriel and maniacsquirrel give good advice on their twitch streams, it's worth following them if you want to get better at this game.

My friends have been begging me to get this game to play with them, and I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but that $60 price tag is huge considering what I'm getting for it. Any advice? Will there be any additions to the game in the future that I won't have to pay for? All of these "Not Recommended" reviews on Steam turn me off from buying it. I'm sure it'll be fun with my friends, but I'm concerned at how long this will last.

minx

Sacriel and maniacsquirrel give good advice on their twitch streams, it's worth following them if you want to get better at this game.

Yeah I learned most of my strategies from sacriel. Watching him play actually convinced me to buy to game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My friends have been begging me to get this game to play with them, and I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but that $60 price tag is huge considering what I'm getting for it. Any advice? Will there be any additions to the game in the future that I won't have to pay for? All of these "Not Recommended" reviews on Steam turn me off from buying it. I'm sure it'll be fun with my friends, but I'm concerned at how long this will last.

All the maps and modes will be free. There was basically a big downvote movement because of stuff like the preorder dlc and pricing on the season pass and not really stuff with the game itself. If you don't care about ignoring that stuff there's nothing that will split the community up.

All the maps and modes will be free. There was basically a big downvote movement because of stuff like the preorder dlc and pricing on the season pass and not really stuff with the game itself. If you don't care about ignoring that stuff there's nothing that will split the community up.

Do you the think the base game is a little bare bones at $60?

Papercuts

Do you the think the base game is a little bare bones at $60?

I personally don't have issues with paying $60 for MP only games, so it's hard to say personally as that's something that changes person to person. Including alpha and beta I do have over 80 hours logged and don't feel even remotely fatigued though.

I personally don't have issues with paying $60 for MP only games, so it's hard to say personally as that's something that changes person to person. Including alpha and beta I do have over 80 hours logged and don't feel even remotely fatigued though.

Thanks, I really just needed an extra push to go for it. Hopefully my friends will play it long enough to feel like it was worth it. Gonna go download it now!

Got my first taste of the Wraith in the hands of a decent user last night. It was glorious. Not sure how they allowed something that strong into the game. I've used him twice now, once versus AI and once against people. Just feels so cheap. The only way you're getting caught is if you fuck up. I am sure he sucks on Defend, but he is money in every other mode. So much damage. It's like.. you need a well coordinated and skilled teams of hunters to bring one down, and good luck getting that in matchmaking.

Have they detailed exactly what the "balance" does in Evacuation? Twice today I pretty much steamrolled a group of hunters 4-0 and 3-1 leading into Defend with Goliath every round and both times in that last round they just seemed almost invincible, shit was stupid.

Ardenyal

I have tried googling this for a couple days now but still have no idea what this means:
"heal 40 teammates before they're incapped"

It's Vals tier 3 medgun mastery challenge. I have 27/40 on that but I really don't know the exact criteria. Anyone know what it's asking me to do?

Have they detailed exactly what the "balance" does in Evacuation? Twice today I pretty much steamrolled a group of hunters 4-0 and 3-1 leading into Defend with Goliath every round and both times in that last round they just seemed almost invincible, shit was stupid.
I believe it's a 10% damage buff per tick.

As for Defend, don't focus on killing the hunters: getting those turrets down ASAP is your priority. I highly recommend either Goliath with Lvl 3 Rock Throw or a Kraken to hit them from far and pester the hunters while they deal with the minions. When a generator goes down, try to beat them to the next one to get the turrets down before your minions arrive.

Papercuts

I have tried googling this for a couple days now but still have no idea what this means:
"heal 40 teammates before they're incapped"

It's Vals tier 3 medgun mastery challenge. I have 27/40 on that but I really don't know the exact criteria. Anyone know what it's asking me to do?

The wording is super vague but on the forums I saw that it means to heal 100% of their health without them becoming incapped. So if you simplified it and said hunters had 10 hp and took 9 damage, you heal them back up for 9 and need another 1.

Thanks, I really just needed an extra push to go for it. Hopefully my friends will play it long enough to feel like it was worth it. Gonna go download it now!

Hope you like it!

Rizific

anyone have trouble launching this game? it worked fine after the initial install, but now it just hangs at a black screen and doesnt respond. verifying file integrity now, hopefully that fixes it. also, is there an intro movie skip fix out yet?

edit: running as admin fixed my issue.

Haven't been able to play but just got a couple games in as the goliath. Man, it feels good to outsmart the other team. I completely outplayed them. At one point I just hid in a bush and was surrounded but they couldn't spot me. I was able to wait for them to leave and get to level 3.

Feels good when the game goes the way you want it to.

Bizazedo

Holy shit.

Wraith was kicking our ass, we made serious mistakes. We were sucking, to be honest. Medic down, slow battle of attrition at level 3, order is given for Markov and Cabot to run to let the dropship return.

Markov is caught and killed, but Cabot escapes. Wraith attacks the power relay, but railgun stops that / Wraith freaks out. We drop back in, battle resumes.

Wraith is 3-4 lifebars and has killed Caira and Abe again, only Cabot and Markov remain. Wraith is gunning for Markov when the damage amp beam from Cabot locks on from behind.....

....right when the Wraith dashed into Markov who was standing in fresh mines (decoy was erasing prior mines I think?).

Wraith loses 3-4 lifebars immediately, Hunters win. Markov had over 10k damage in mines.

PepperedHam

I love this game so much holy crap. Had it for a few days but only really got to sink my teeth into it tonight with a buddy and it's so fun. Playing as the monster is something I wasn't so sure I'd like going in but it's pretty exhilarating.

If anyone on PS4 is ever down for some games you can add my PSN: LordHoag.

Papercuts

Random tidbit from the telemetry and data thread on their forums on w/l ratios:

"Hyde is low. Cabot is high. Wraith is high. Griffin is low. Val is low.

Testing some good changes this week."

Not surprised to hear any of those really, but I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Not surprised to hear any of those really, but I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Will it be just buffs or nerfs too I wonder.
I think Wraith needs some tweaking to be more fun to play with. I don't think anything is really OP though.

Semper88

I'm lvl 22, had my first match as a monster...

I failed :D Altho they worked well together so prob a premade group.

My heart was pounding from tension haha.

-Deimos

Will it be just buffs or nerfs too I wonder.
I think Wraith needs some tweaking to be more fun to play with. I don't think anything is really OP though.
They already nerfed Wraith and its fine as it is now. People just don't know how to fight against it.

Punishing monster players because of pugs is a bad move.

Gator86

Yup, that basically lines up exactly with what I expected. Surprised Bucket isn't on there too although that's more from lack of use than general win/loss ratios.

As a person playing primarily medic, I'm curious what they do with Val. She has a ton of utility but doesn't excel enough at any one area to really make a mark. Her tranq dart doesn't make up for the lacking heal rate on her med gun.

Papercuts

I really think Decoy needs changed up somehow, but I'm fine if they buff her in other areas to make up for it.

Yup, that basically lines up exactly with what I expected. Surprised Bucket isn't on there too although that's more from lack of use than general win/loss ratios.

As a person playing primarily medic, I'm curious what they do with Val. She has a ton of utility but doesn't excel enough at any one area to really make a mark. Her tranq dart doesn't make up for the lacking heal rate on her med gun.

Yeah, I've been wondering about her and Hyde especially. I'm guessing his biggest issue are the grenades.

Just want to throw my PSN out there again because I need people to play with: ScareGoat

I've had OK luck with randoms but it's just boring not being able to communicate with people because no one really talks. The few games I've had where everyone was communicating were the most fun I've had so far.

SMZC

I don't play enough as a hunter to know about the others, but Val makes sense. I perform horribly whenever I pick her, and when I have to face a team with her I always feel like I am in not much danger at all. Lazarus can be really nasty if you get distracted and allow him to revive dead teammates, you'll be making no progress whatsoever no matter how many people you kill, while Caira heals teammates and herself quickly, making her arguably the medic that takes the most time to kill (a combination of self-healing and Hank's shield can make it brutal; you can forget about killing her if you are a stage 1 monster). Val, though? Not only is she putting a neon sign over her head that says "MEDIC HERE" whenever she's healing someone, but the inability to heal herself with the medgun greatly limits her options. Plus, her sniper rifle sucks on consoles, especially with the bad input lag of the game. :\

Mdk7

I've always like to play as a trapper, but yesterday i tried Caira and... man, i fell in love with her.
It's just so much fun to play as her, i always like grenades in games and her abilities are a blast. She's probably my favorite character in the whole game.

Papercuts

I don't play enough as a hunter to know about the others, but Val makes sense. I perform horribly whenever I pick her, and when I have to face a team with her I always feel like I am in not much danger at all. Lazarus can be really nasty if you get distracted and allow him to revive dead teammates, you'll be making no progress whatsoever no matter how many people you kill, while Caira heals teammates and herself quickly, making her arguably the medic that takes the most time to kill (a combination of self-healing and Hank's shield can make it brutal; you can forget about killing her if you are a stage 1 monster). Val, though? Not only is she putting a neon sign over her head that says "MEDIC HERE" whenever she's healing someone, but the inability to heal herself with the medgun greatly limits her options. Plus, her sniper rifle sucks on consoles, especially with the bad input lag of the game. :\

Yeah, there's a few things with Val v. Caira I've noticed.

Val has a line that sticks out super easily, while Caira can be harder to trace back. Val doesn't necessarily gain range advantage since the healing grenades aren't that hard to arc, and they have the benefit of AoE healing. a quick heal burst and some shots to the ground can fix the entire team while Val is slower single heal. It's also single heal that outright loses to burst from a stage 2+ monster, and gets worse with strikes in the mix. While Caira also will get to the point where she can't keep up, you'd think singular heal would win out.

Her sniper has a pretty brutal reload, and when you compare it to Laz is going to benefit a lot less. It does 2x over Laz's 1.5, and it's a bigger target that lasts longer...but Laz can literally paint the monster in points that will proc with everything. Caira is mostly fire and forget as the DoT does its job.

Her tranq is amazing utility atleast. I think even just bumping her heal per second a small bit would do a lot, but she does lack in self healing and is the easiest to rush down.

On hyde, I think it's mostly just apparent seeing how damn good Markov's mines are. They make relay fights a pain in the ass to deal with. Parnell gives that up for outputting huge DPS. Hyde has toxic grenades that, personally, I don't really fear much as a monster. For something that's Area of Denial, I will still stay over and beat down a corpse through one of those. They also negatively impact hunter movement speed and don't seem good enough to warrant that.

Griffin I think is very powerful but the hardest trapper to play. I think something that may be affecting his win rate it's the overly strict sound spike pinging. You can still do stuff like Goliath's rock throw in the radius and not get caught if you're sneaking, which is weird as hell. Sneaking vs. him is very powerful, and unlike Abe who basically will keep you marked and stay on your ass once he finds you, I don't feel he benefits as much in the later game despite giving up early pressure. His harpoon is amazing for outright stopping and pulling monsters out of a climb, but he is the most prone to rushdown and I personally find him to be really weak against Wraith which might contribute to his win rate. You can predict a goliath leap or leap smash and stick them right in place. Kraken flight is easily impacted. Wraith warp is instant and so damn hard to connect with, and the reload for missing is brutal. Even if you hit it seems like they can just warp blast anyway, and that's to say nothing of supernova's flurry of attacks snapping it instantly.

But back in the alpha days when Kraken had a huge win rate, they just toned some numbers down to get where he is now. Small changes can have big impacts on output here, so it's something they need to approach cautiously.

minx

They already nerfed Wraith and its fine as it is now. People just don't know how to fight against it.

Punishing monster players because of pugs is a bad move.

The Wraith is far from fine. The win loss ratio against it in the beta was a staggering 70/30 and I would guess 65/35 in retail. It has too much mobility and it's not fun to hunt. It's not fun to hunt because unless the Wraith player is bad you will not be able to dome it without extreme luck or coordination. If you are able to dome it due to the Wraith player mistakes then it's extremely hard to find if the Wraith wants to hide and/or run in the dome. Requiring Cabot or Ave shouldn't be necessary to find the Wraith in the dome.

I would be happy with a delay it between warps and to reduce to damage of the decoy significantly with a slight health and armor boost. I know this makes it similar to the other monsters but it would be more enjoyable for everyone. I don't even play as the Wraith because I feel like it is cheating and I don't want my opponents to leave.

SMZC

But back in the alpha days when Kraken had a huge win rate, they just toned some numbers down to get where he is now. Small changes can have big impacts on output here, so it's something they need to approach cautiously.

Kinda going on a tangent here, but this illustrates why the idea of giving you higher stats for leveling your characters up is such a horrible one in a game like this. People have complained about this before, but it can't be said enough: Shoehorning in a COD-esque, carrot in the stick leveling up system does Evolve no favors.

Perks are fine and give the game a small degree of customization that doesn't necessarily hurt, but I wish these didn't have to be leveled up either.

Bizazedo

Is it wrong to say I am shocked that I agree with the Devs 100%? Coming from Destiny, it feels like heaven.....

Maybe it's because they're using correct metrics, I dunno.

Yeah, there's a few things with Val v. Caira I've noticed.

Val has a line that sticks out super easily, while Caira can be harder to trace back. Val doesn't necessarily gain range advantage since the healing grenades aren't that hard to arc, and they have the benefit of AoE healing. a quick heal burst and some shots to the ground can fix the entire team while Val is slower single heal. It's also single heal that outright loses to burst from a stage 2+ monster, and gets worse with strikes in the mix. While Caira also will get to the point where she can't keep up, you'd think singular heal would win out.

Her sniper has a pretty brutal reload, and when you compare it to Laz is going to benefit a lot less. It does 2x over Laz's 1.5, and it's a bigger target that lasts longer...but Laz can literally paint the monster in points that will proc with everything. Caira is mostly fire and forget as the DoT does its job.

Her tranq is amazing utility atleast. I think even just bumping her heal per second a small bit would do a lot, but she does lack in self healing and is the easiest to rush down.
I think she needs a slight buff, but one of the things I think people fail to properly use is the fact that the medbeam range is outrageous. It goes very....very....very far.

Maps / fight locations / players can prevent this from being an advantage, but I don't think enough Val players utilize it.

Additionally.....

COLOR CODING / NAMES UNDER THE LIFEBARS NEED TO BE DISABLED WHEN PLAYING AS THE HUNTER. At least make it slightly harder to zero in on certain classes.
On hyde, I think it's mostly just apparent seeing how damn good Markov's mines are. They make relay fights a pain in the ass to deal with. Parnell gives that up for outputting huge DPS. Hyde has toxic grenades that, personally, I don't really fear much as a monster. For something that's Area of Denial, I will still stay over and beat down a corpse through one of those. They also negatively impact hunter movement speed and don't seem good enough to warrant that.
100% agree. The arc mines with a properly played Markov are just too good. Just repeating a previous post, we beat a level 3 Wraith with Markov mines / Cabot damage amp when we should have lost. He lost 3+ lifebars in less than a second....

Hyde is nowhere near as good as Markov and the hunter speed slowed by poison grenades is baffling considering the lack of damage.

Markov just seems heads and shoulders above Parnell and Hyde.

mbmonk

Come someone point to some strategy to take down the wraith? There is a lot of vague posts about how easy it is to kill a wraith but I would like to some more concrete tactics if possible.

Kinda going on a tangent here, but this illustrates why the idea of giving you higher stats for leveling your characters up is such a horrible one in a game like this. People have complained about this before, but it can't be said enough: Shoehorning in a COD-esque, carrot in the stick leveling up system does Evolve no favors.

Perks are fine and give the game a small degree of customization that doesn't necessarily hurt, but I wish these didn't have to be leveled up either.

I agree. I love the game, but I hate it when online competitive games increase your characters' stats through repeated play. I'll do better if I practice, I don't need an actual stat advantage too.

I agree. I love the game, but I hate it when online competitive games increase your characters' stats through repeated play. I'll do better if I practice, I don't need an actual stat advantage too.

Yeah, seeing how much the perks increase as you level is pretty astonishing. Could also make it tough to balance until everyone's been playing for a while and are using 3-star perks.

andycapps

Holy shit.

Wraith was kicking our ass, we made serious mistakes. We were sucking, to be honest. Medic down, slow battle of attrition at level 3, order is given for Markov and Cabot to run to let the dropship return.

Markov is caught and killed, but Cabot escapes. Wraith attacks the power relay, but railgun stops that / Wraith freaks out. We drop back in, battle resumes.

Wraith is 3-4 lifebars and has killed Caira and Abe again, only Cabot and Markov remain. Wraith is gunning for Markov when the damage amp beam from Cabot locks on from behind.....

....right when the Wraith dashed into Markov who was standing in fresh mines (decoy was erasing prior mines I think?).

Wraith loses 3-4 lifebars immediately, Hunters win. Markov had over 10k damage in mines.

Markov is definitely the best assault. Those mines and the electric gun can't be matched.

Bizazedo

Our assault loves Markov. Loves the elite skin, even bought some of the DLC skins. He won't shut up about how the mines look different now, too.

Is anyone else having trouble finding games with parties with more than 2 people in it. I am playing on xbox one and my friends and I can never seem to get in to a match without one or more of us getting removed.

Klyka

Banned
It's been hard getting a GAF group on PC together lately :(
Have people stopped playing? I met some great groups in the first two-three days and then it kinda petered out.

The moment someone thinks about buying Evolve, 10 people will shout "DLC THE GAME!" at him until he stops thinking about it :(

It's pretty sad. I get it, though, as it seems an excessive amount of DLC to be talking about out the door.

It's a shame that it's tarnishing the name of such a great game, though. I haven't played an online game with design this good or unique since Natural Selection 2.

Nori Chan

I've already gotten 42 hours out of evolve. That's insane. I don't ever usually be on a game that long
Pretty sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Top Bottom