• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Some official stats.

evolve_launch_info_lg3.jpg

Trap me if old.

Finally got to the third mastery tier for Kraken and.... "Knock back 360 mid-air hunters with Vortex"
Three hundred and sixty

What
The
Fuck

The Goliath's third tier is child's play compared to that single one - the highest is Rock Throw with 150 mid-air hunters.

AEREC

"Total Time Played: 108 years"

Probably the most meaningless stat next to "most games played on a partly cloudy tuesday with 37% chance of rain"

I feel like they break out this headline when the sales numbers are not impressive enough.

Finally got to the third mastery tier for Kraken and.... "Knock back 360 mid-air hunters with Vortex"
Three hundred and sixty

What
The
Fuck

The Goliath's third tier is child's play compared to that single one - the highest is Rock Throw with 150 mid-air hunters.

Every character has 1 challenge at tier 3 that's needlessly high. It's stupid. It I wasn't actually having fun farming these in Solo I would have probably given up on the plat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Three hundred and sixty

What
The
Fuck

I'm finding goliath's 80,000 fire damage to midair hunter ones tedious as hell.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The DOT counts as damage too, so every time they are on fire and lift off, it ticks up.

True, it's mainly just the number being such a high target. The monsters in general all seem to have one that takes forever to get, the hunters aren't quite as bad.

I'm really close to Elite Laz right now, just need ~4 more games with multiple revives.

True, it's mainly just the number being such a high target. The monsters in general all seem to have one that takes forever to get, the hunters aren't quite as bad.

I'm really close to Elite Laz right now, just need ~4 more games with multiple revives.

I've been playing so much monster that I haven't unlocked a single hunter. Pretty recently got Wraith though, so maybe I just haven't been playing as much as most people.

minx

I like how they are not revealing the win rate by each monster. Would be very interesting to see.

Surprised that people play Hyde so much as I think he is by far the worse Assault.

RedFury

Anyone one ps4 that needs people to play with psn:RedFury03. My brother and I play, and communicate a lot. We are by no means amazing, we play for fun and we win here and there. It's pretty tough when you healer is trying to Rambo the monster by himself with his/her pathetic weapon.

Ardenyal

I like how they are not revealing the win rate by each monster. Would be very interesting to see.

Last time I looked at it, which was a few days ago, Wraith had a 60% win rate when you only count games played among people level 20+. I.e. if you filter out new players.
That's high, but it's not awful. Still, expect a Wraith nerf. The fact that it's so brutal to play against for new players is something we're working on.

From Reddit.

I know hes not going to come out and say it's awful but that's pretty awful. Higher level games are more even than at low level and it's still close to 2:1 split.

Anyone else having problems actually finding people that don't "talk" in matches? I'm on PS4 and we never get talkers.

My fiance games with me as well (2 tv / 2 system setup) and would really like to find and add friends on PSN that actually like to talk and have this game.

Feel free to add us!! My PSN name is WhupTroy and her PSN name is NolaDaControlla.

Anyone else having problems actually finding people that don't "talk" in matches? I'm on PS4 and we never get talkers.

My fiance games with me as well (2 tv / 2 system setup) and would really like to find and add friends on PSN that actually like to talk and have this game.

Feel free to add us!! My PSN name is WhupTroy and her PSN name is NolaDaControlla.

Added you. I am definitely also having that issue.

Does anyone want to play? I'm on PS4 right now. PSN: ScareGoat

SMZC

Some official stats.

48.1% and 51.9% for hunters and monsters, these numbers are definitely starting to better reflect the balance of the game than the ones we got right after launch (49.9%-50.1% in favor of the hunters), and I'm confident the difference is only going to get bigger as more people learn to play better as the monster. As it is, there is no denying that it's easier to play as the monster (as any monster). Given 5 players of equal skill, the monster is almost always going to win against the hunters, and this is so even with him making a few mistakes here and there. Evolve is unforgiving for hunters, but good monster players have a lot of margin for error, and that's not a good thing when the very premise of the game already demands more from the hunter team (ie: teamwork and coordination).

I love this game, but as someone who plays mostly as the monster, I'd really like to have a bit more of a challenge.

On a different note, yesterday I felt like playing some matches as the Wraith, spending my skill points on anything but the decoy. It felt so refreshing, and so much more fun than my previous games as the Wraith. I'm sure my opponents appreciated it too.

Every character has 1 challenge at tier 3 that's needlessly high. It's stupid. It I wasn't actually having fun farming these in Solo I would have probably given up on the plat.
Yeah I managed to find a pretty decent (and hilarious) way to farm it solo. Lvl 3 vortex with cooldown reduction, point up at dropship, fire when they're coming down, and then find a tunnel area to continuously vortex them down (they'll frantically jetpack dodge but to no avail if the tunnel is narrow enough). Dat AI
I'll do the other abilities legit but screw this one.

played monster for the first time after 36hrs of game time, wrecked shit up with the goliath
i guess it's much easier to play monster when you already how the hunters play though

Klyka

Banned
played monster for the first time after 36hrs of game time, wrecked shit up with the goliath
i guess it's much easier to play monster when you already how the hunters play though

it is MUCH easier because you have seen what the monster should and shouldn't do and you can tell what the hunters will usually end up doing cause you've done it yourself.

Yeah I managed to find a pretty decent (and hilarious) way to farm it solo. Lvl 3 vortex with cooldown reduction, point up at dropship, fire when they're coming down, and then find a tunnel area to continuously vortex them down (they'll frantically jetpack dodge but to no avail if the tunnel is narrow enough). Dat AI
I'll do the other abilities legit but screw this one.

Armory is another good one. There's a big drop off near the power relay. Hit them when they drop and hit them when they climb.

Moonkeis

I'll add everyone on PS4 from the last 3 post. I always have my headset on, just on mute at times since my 2 little ones are running around the house.

My PSN name: NovembersChopin

Edit: anyone having random server issues? Sometimes everyone on screen will just lock in place and the game never ends. I end up having to just quit out.

13thStep

Been playing solo a few days to learn the different classes. This game is pretty fun, I want to get into playing w/ other people once I feel comfortable enough. I have a question for the PS4 users. What headset do you guys use? I have one that only goes over 1 ear and I hate it.

Been playing solo a few days to learn the different classes. This game is pretty fun, I want to get into playing w/ other people once I feel comfortable enough. I have a question for the PS4 users. What headset do you guys use? I have one that only goes over 1 ear and I hate it.

I play Evolve on PC, but for PS4 chatting, I bought a "heaset buddy" adapter to use Xbox 360 headsets on ps4. Works well with stock 360 chat headset as well as my Turtle Beach X41s.

Ensoul

I'm awful at being the monster. Everytime I play I'm found in about 90 seconds no matter what I do. It's so frustrating.

duck_sauce

I still havent bought the game, but my curiosity remains. One thing that holds me back ist the longelivity of the game. I know it is still too early to tell ift the game goes down the same road as titanfall....but to those who played evolve since release:

Is fatigue and boredom slowly setting in, or remains the fun as strong as on the first day? How is the community (on ps4)?

What are your experiences so far?

Klyka

Banned
I still havent bought the game, but my curiosity remains. One thing that holds me back ist the longelivity of the game. I know it is still too early to tell ift the game goes down the same road as titanfall....but to those who played evolve since release:

Is fatigue and boredom slowly setting in, or remains the fun as strong as on the first day? How is the community (on ps4)?

What are your experiences so far?

the game has a different kind of "fun" for me now.
Before, everything was "new fun" cause i saw tons of stuff for the first time and played classes for the first time. Or monsters.

Now it is "experienced fun" where the actual gameplay and what comes with it, the actual competition against the hunters/monster brings the fun.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Won a game last night against a Level 3 Kraken. We domed it before it could reach the reactor and it was around half health from earlier battles. We got it down to a slither of health before 3 of us died and only Laz was left. He somehow managed to kill it before it could kill him with his Sniper rifle, just chipping away.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is is just me or is the Xbox version royally jacked right now? I'm getting booted to the desktop at random times, I just had a match where I couldn't see the other players, matchmaking is taking a long time and when I do get matched up, sometimes it just appears to just go to the loading screen indefinitely.

Skyzard

Banned
They're dropping users pretty fast on PC.

Shame because it's a fantastic game. But already having to deal with not enough monster players. Not going to help attract new players with $15 monster dlc. It's just going to get worse.

Maybe they can give you credits for the online store by playing as monster or something.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Is is just me or is the Xbox version royally jacked right now? I'm getting booted to the desktop at random times, I just had a match where I couldn't see the other players, matchmaking is taking a long time and when I do get matched up, sometimes it just appears to just go to the loading screen indefinitely.

It wouldnt boot the first couple times I tried last night until it did on the 4th or so attempt, havent played today.

Klyka

Banned
They're dropping users pretty fast on PC.

Shame because it's a fantastic game. But already having to deal with not enough monster players. Not going to help attract new players with $15 monster dlc. It's just going to get worse.

Maybe they can give you credits for the online store by playing as monster or something.

Yeah, game is fantastic, but not very casual friendly and the DLC gloom hangs above it.
Hope you still be my wingman though Skyzard :D

Skyzard

Banned
Of course! I haven't really been playing anything but Evolve since it came out but I'm disappointed to see it drop below Dying Light in current users, which came before it. Dying Light is fun too and a decent game but dang.

Rocketz

I had some pretty good matches tonight with some good randoms that knew what they were doing. It's nice playing with some higher level people that have a grasp on the game and know their role.

One match had a very cautious Goliath that loved to hide in the bushes anytime we got close and actually ran out of time at stage 2 though he almost beat us at the end when he starting being aggressive.

I'm awful at being the monster. Everytime I play I'm found in about 90 seconds no matter what I do. It's so frustrating.

Same here. I go out of my way to be as stealthy as possible. Constantly crouching, eating and moving, not drawing any attention to myself. Next thing I know i'm tranquilized, dust scanned and there's a dome over my head. I just don't understand.

They really need to make pvp mode where you aren't forced to be the monster. It's legit bullshit and probably my only gripe about the game.

-Deimos

They really do need to stop forcing players into playing monster. I'd rather play with an AI monster than be forced into a role I didn't want to play.

mbmonk

Same here. I go out of my way to be as stealthy as possible. Constantly crouching, eating and moving, not drawing any attention to myself. Next thing I know i'm tranquilized, dust scanned and there's a dome over my head. I just don't understand.

They really need to make pvp mode where you aren't forced to be the monster. It's legit bullshit and probably my only gripe about the game.

Are you using the monsters sniff ability? Its basically a wall hack. Combined with the monsters abilities ( leap, charge, etc. ) it can help you keep some distance from the hunters early. Depends on the map and monster of course. Just guessing here. Sorry if it's of no value.

dustmann3479

Neo Member
If any one wants another person to play with, add me. Here is my info:

System: PS4
PS User Name: dustmann3479
Availability: Any Evening After 9 or 10PM EST

Just picked the game up this past Thursday, but have watched enough streams and read the info on the game to know how play this properly. I have definitely had a lot of fun with it so far.

Only hide at the beginning and the end. Throw them off your sent at the start and to sneak attack them at the relay. IMO

minx

I would advise Goliath to start with smell range perk. Smell range perk at 3 stars you can see Hunters from further away than the dome's reach has. Smell also greatly helps finding the proper wildlife to eat. Put 2 in flame breath and one in leap smash. Or one in flame, charge, and leap smash. Use flame breath to kill wildlife. Leap smash and charge can both be used as great mobility if found early.

Pay attention to who the trapper is.

If trapper is Maggie then forget sneaking and get to the opposite side of the map and smell to avoid hunters. If trapper is Griffin then sneak the entire match and you will be golden. If trapper is Abe then sneak and watch out what you eat.

Also if Bucket is support with UAV it can make things tricky with Maggie. I faced a great team that used that combo and I was running for my life the entire time and was trapped multiple times during stage one and two, focusing on killing Maggie.

It seems that the hunters are getting a little smarter which is good because facing a good team can be hard to come by, especially in Hunt where I have yet to loose as a Monster. Still seeing level 15 to 25 players as Laz not using his device or when I am Laz reviving players instead of me :/

For other perks as Monster feeding speed is good. I have yet to use movement speed but others have said at 3 star that you sneak as fast as normal movement which could be good against Abe or Griffin.

Top Bottom