• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Klyka

Banned
i will create so many fake account to make their game metascore 0 they will rethink this kind of policies

why?

you bought an edition that comes with all announced content.
it does not come with unannounced content. you didn't buy like, a life pass or something.

i will create so many fake account to make their game metascore 0 they will rethink this kind of policies

Your purchase is for all of the content that they listed for that purchase (which you of course should research before spending your money).

If they decide to make even more content in the future, that does not reduce the value of what you have bought in any way.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood

That's your own problem, get over yourself. If you felt the price you paid didn't match the value of the announced content you shouldn't have bought it. You aren't entitled to everything in perpetuity.

Birathen

Jeeeebuuus.. Playing as monster is intense. Ive only played a few matches yet but I can see me being chewed if playing against more experienced hunters.

I won the last one as a monster through sneaking. No contact with the hunters until I reached 3 then I chewed them up and spit them out. Watching the replay map was fun thou. I managed to sneak right through them twice :p Hands are still shaking. Its.. Intense.

haikira

Don't have anything particularly insightful to say. But grabbed a copy of this, as I had a friend who just got a PS4 bundle with the game, and I played a load of it over the weekend with him. Have to say, I really like this game.

I don't play much multi player these days, but I've always been more inclined to try asymmetrical multi player games, as they're not really that common. Didn't know much going in, other than the general premise, and the names of the classes. A pleasant surprise for me, was that there are multiple characters for each class.

I tried a little bit of the mode that takes place over five days, which seemed pretty interesting, though I mostly just played skirmish games of hunt.

Only complaint I have is, I've had more than one crash to dashboard while playing the game. I've noticed it's only when I'm jumping out the drop ship as a hunter. The only other PS4 game to crash for me so far has been Dragon Age Inquisition.

Anyway, I'll have to jump in some Neogaf games sometime. If anyone wants to add me, my handle is Haikira__

Spinluck

Did the Lord's work with the Kraken today.

Wrecked a team without even having to Evolve, I wasn't even looking to do it either. But I guess my playstyle set me up to do it, game is so fun on both sides imo. I feel like you learn from every win or loss. Here's some footage, skip to the 4min mark is you don't wish to watch the build up to the game winning first encounter--which was me stealth crawling around the entire map lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFPAno4_suE

And yes, the trollish giggle at the end is me :)

If anyone's interested I'm looking to boost the Mano a Monster trophy. I just can't think of a good way to solo it. The bot monster will pounce you.

Edit: It's done, thank you BoredofCanada

The Foul

I haven't noticed any lag playing with players from different countries. Post your steam id and party up.

Steam ID is a few pages back (here), got a crew off whirlpool and a few streamers I can jump in with. Evolve does a decent job of hiding lag for sure... 200 ping isn't as desirable as 20 in any scenario, not to mention time differences limits my play with NA/EU evolvers.

All of my problems with this game could be solved with a "no monster for me" button. I hate to be a squeaky wheel but I need that no monster button grease. Sometimes I just want a quick hunter skirmish before dinner w/e and this game just does not want to let me have that fun. You have to invite ppl, invest time getting quality matchups and just... ugh let me have fun when I click play Evolve ffs.

As it stands, I'm getting a lot of low quality "fun" matches while levelling myself into a hole, where there are fewer and fewer quality randoms. If I put the game down until a few balance patches / DLC releases, maybe all my problems with the game will be solved by then.

Orca

Jeeeebuuus.. Playing as monster is intense. Ive only played a few matches yet but I can see me being chewed if playing against more experienced hunters.

I won the last one as a monster through sneaking. No contact with the hunters until I reached 3 then I chewed them up and spit them out. Watching the replay map was fun thou. I managed to sneak right through them twice :p Hands are still shaking. Its.. Intense.

The near misses are way more intense than conflict. I got trapped in a bubble but they weren't sure if they'd gotten me, I had dropped out of sight before it went up. I hid behind a tree trunk at the outside edge and had to circle around the trunk away from the group twice. I laughed when they dropped the bubble and took off towards some buildingA, leaving me to creep away.

CONAN

I was playing on PC Yesterday with friend when suddenly we noticed we are 5 hunters against the monster. Two Vals were in the map (me and other dude), our team was very confident. We took him down pretty easy. Poor monster.

Link
healing each other lol.

Is it considered cheap to spam sneak attacks on hunters? I just played what seemed like a full party in Evac, won 3-2. Won the first three matches, lost Nest on Day 4 and Defend, with them having three and then two auto balance buffs.

But I found in the first two games it was incredibly easy to just tap B before I hit the trigger to attack. Hell, I had them all downed but assault on day one and I just sneak attacked him and he popped his shield but was helpless. I beat his shield down and then killed him until he died from it. They'd gotten me down to like 2 bars of health on stage 2 so it was an awesome comeback win but I felt kind of cheap.

Also, the Cabot plus Markov combo is fucking devastating. If this group had a good Laz in their squad I think it would have been the most frustrating matches ever.

Klyka

Banned
So if you buy the season pass now, would you get anything now? Or is it all future content?

Btw feel free to add me on psn
Bloodbathnbyond

It's not a "season pass".
It is called the "Hunting Season Pass". As in a pass for the "hunting season".
hunters_season_passv2.jpg

It gives you the next 4 hunters that release when they come out and it gives you a Magma skin for Goliath,Kraken and Wraith right now.

SMZC

I bet this has been suggested before because it's such an obvious idea, but has there been any word on whether Turtle Rock is planning a monster vs monster game mode, or even a Hunt-like game mode where there are 2 player-controlled monsters instead of only one? These two monsters could either compete with each other (while being hunted down by the human team) or cooperate against a larger team of hunters than usual. It doesn't look like performance would be a problem on console, given the amount of minions that the game handles in Defend mode without a hassle (and on PC this wouldn't be a problem anyway).

I think it could be great, and potentially expand the game's life by a lot if done right.

Klyka

Banned
I bet this has been suggested before because it's such an obvious idea, but has there been any word on whether Turtle Rock is planning a monster vs monster game mode, or even a Hunt-like game mode where there are 2 player-controlled monsters instead of only one? These two monsters could either compete with each other (while being hunted down by the human team) or cooperate against a larger team of hunters than usual. It doesn't look like performance would be a problem on console, given the amount of minions that the game handles in Defend mode without a hassle (and on PC this wouldn't be a problem anyway).

I think it could be great, and potentially expand the game's life by a lot if done right.

They said they can't do two monsters because of memory constraints.

edit: found the quote on turtle rock forums

Reppingtgod
Reppingtgod5d MacMan MacMan
You guys need to make a bigger game mode like where there could be 2 monsters, and 8 hunters .on a bigger map I hope you read @MacMan

MacMan
MacManCo-Founder5d
Not really feasible. Would blow all kinds of performance and memory budgets, eliminate the cpu cycles for wildlife, etc. frowning What we are working on IS cool and fun though!

Bru

That's some awesome trapping right there!

I love how this game serves up so many unique and crazy gameplay twists, it feels like you're living through an action movie at times.

Playing as Maggie with the rest of my team wiped and just a shard of health left, a battered level 3 wraith launched straight at me. I knew it was game over, winced and held down my trigger to spray the SMG in a final act of defiance. The end of round sound activated, the red flash announcing the winning side went up and to my shock it said Hunters instead of Monster. It turned out the Wraith had charged past and triggered one of my harpoon mines that held it fast only a meter from my face as I emptied the clip into its head.

Not since playing Battlefield has a game served up so many epic moments.

Rnr1224

enjoying this game more and more as I play. In terms of class and perk preferences, im liking support the most. Just got Cabot and I find his damage amplifier and railgun to be awesome. still need to work on the use of my cloak and dust tagging too. For my perk i almost always pick jetpack recharge (only have 55% right now), though I do pick damage on defend matches.

andycapps

Only Laz can do this

That's what I figured. Laz is great for that reason, but I find Caira to be the best medic since she can keep the team up and annoying the monster the most. Plus, that speed boost at the beginning and when the arena goes down to keep the pressure on the monster is awesome. I do wish her offensive capabilities got a boost because in that sense she is almost useless.

Bizazedo

Had the most annoying player come into our games last night. Was idle almost the whole game, but sporadically took over to kill wildlife or sometimes when the monster was hopelessly trapped at the end. I have no idea what he was doing, but it was a waste of our time anyways,.

I don't want to kill bots, I want HUMANS.

That's what I figured. Laz is great for that reason, but I find Caira to be the best medic since she can keep the team up and annoying the monster the most. Plus, that speed boost at the beginning and when the arena goes down to keep the pressure on the monster is awesome. I do wish her offensive capabilities got a boost because in that sense she is almost useless.

Caira would be so OP lol.

Klyka

Banned
We were five humans against NPC monster.

but in that screenshot it just says "bucket" which usually means bot

I just noticed that these aren't generic silhouettes. Lol
Looks like the Trapper has a bird, Assault looks like he has rocket launchers on his shoulders, Medic looks like Caira, and the Support has an Afro.

If you look closely it actually seems like the afro support has a robot arm and robot hand and some kind of huge revolver/sawnoff shotgun in a holster

Any word fromTurtle Rock/2K on the whole progress reset bug? We play on XB1. Friend of mine lost 14 lvls of progress. When he logs in has Tier 1 and 3 hunters but has all the tutorials pop up.

Klyka

Banned
Any word fromTurtle Rock/2K on the whole progress reset bug? We play on XB1. Friend of mine lost 14 lvls of progress. When he logs in has Tier 1 and 3 hunters but has all the tutorials pop up.

[MacMan]
2 days ago The Great Upcoming Patch General Chris Ashton, Co-Founder

Miscommunication. XBox patch is coming ASAP. This is our highest priority.

Balance updates coming later.

[MacMan]
2 days ago The Great Upcoming Patch General Chris Ashton, Co-Founder

XBox progression patch is coming soon.

I meant the balance update will be a while.

directly from their forum

edit: I would advise people to bookmark this dev tracker https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/groups/developers you can basically see everything the devs ever say there

Klyka

Banned
Cool thanks.

I am assuming the balance patch will effect Wraith? Is that the consensus? Any hunters thought of as OP?

from what i have gathered, the balance update will be pretty huge and we'll see changes to kraken/wraith (changes,not just nerfs/buffs) and to multiple hunters, cause some of them are underperforming in the WLR department. Val for example.
Cabot is seen as a bit too high on the WLR and might get some kind of change.

Spineker

Banned
So after having considerable time to play this, is it worth 60 bucks? I have the dough in my PSN wallet that I got refunded off The Order

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So after having considerable time to play this, is it worth 60 bucks? I have the dough in my PSN wallet that I got refunded off The Order
I do not think it is worth 60$. Wait til it's around 30$ or so then see if there is enough community left to buy at that price.

My main issue is how repetitive and boring it can get. Not to mention having to rely on your team not to be dumb. I have to play every game as a trapper for it to be fun because I actually throw the dome and 90% of people who play trapper apparently do not know what the character does. Free maps to not segment the community is also dumb being as all the maps are pretty much in distinguishable from one another (except the day map). Would rather free hunters or monsters but they knew no one would buy the maps lol.

Vooduu

I have buddies who play and I still play it, considering I haven't sold it yet. So it must be good for something lol.

I do not think it is worth 60$. Wait til it's around 30$ or so then see if there is enough community left to buy at that price.

My main issue is how repetitive and boring it can get. Not to mention having to rely on your team not to be dumb. I have to play every game as a trapper for it to be fun because I actually throw the dome and 90% of people who play trapper apparently do not know what the character does.

Damn, last couple of days, I've actually been matched up with fairly good players and monsters. Been having fun. I'm level 25 btw so I don't know if that's any indication.

Klyka

Banned

I think a lot of people in the thread will agree that the game can be absolutely great, whether you play as the monster or hunter. for the hunters, it is definitely a better experience to play with friends or other GAFfers in a group than with pure randoms,but the community (on PC for me) has been nothing but great so far.

I think, if you understand that the game has a learning curve and really wants you to get better at the game and if you are up for adding other PS4 GAFfers and play with them, you can have a really great time.
If that is not for you, I don't think 60$ is something you should pay right now, sadly I don't know about cheaper offers for the console versions.

Top Bottom