• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

The Foul

They really do need to stop forcing players into playing monster. I'd rather play with an AI monster than be forced into a role I didn't want to play.

I had to stop playing for this reason. There just isn't enough aussies on PC playing this and after a point I could not get into a match as a hunter after an hour trying. Damn shame.

-Deimos

I had to stop playing for this reason. There just isn't enough aussies on PC playing this and after a point I could not get into a match as a hunter after an hour trying. Damn shame.
I haven't noticed any lag playing with players from different countries. Post your steam id and party up.

I would advise Goliath to start with smell range perk. Smell range perk at 3 stars you can see Hunters from further away than the dome's reach has. Smell also greatly helps finding the proper wildlife to eat. Put 2 in flame breath and one in leap smash. Or one in flame, charge, and leap smash. Use flame breath to kill wildlife. Leap smash and charge can both be used as great mobility if found early.

Pay attention to who the trapper is.

If trapper is Maggie then forget sneaking and get to the opposite side of the map and smell to avoid hunters. If trapper is Griffin then sneak the entire match and you will be golden. If trapper is Abe then sneak and watch out what you eat.

Also if Bucket is support with UAV it can make things tricky with Maggie. I faced a great team that used that combo and I was running for my life the entire time and was trapped multiple times during stage one and two, focusing on killing Maggie.

It seems that the hunters are getting a little smarter which is good because facing a good team can be hard to come by, especially in Hunt where I have yet to loose as a Monster. Still seeing level 15 to 25 players as Laz not using his device or when I am Laz reviving players instead of me :/

For other perks as Monster feeding speed is good. I have yet to use movement speed but others have said at 3 star that you sneak as fast as normal movement which could be good against Abe or Griffin.

Good advice. I'm still kind of bummed about how the buffs level up though. How do you get higher star perks again? Using those perks or by levelling up in general?

Aw yeah! Absolutely decimated the team and cleaned up the rest of my masteries.
B-aST8RIgAABo2M.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They really do need to stop forcing players into playing monster. I'd rather play with an AI monster than be forced into a role I didn't want to play.

Yeah, this is super weird to me. It works both ways too, there are solo players who ONLY want the monster who get stuck as a hunter.

I'm really surprised there's no option to only focus on monster or hunter.

minx

Good advice. I'm still kind of bummed about how the buffs level up though. How do you get higher star perks again? Using those perks or by levelling up in general?

Higher star perks are based solely on you level. I believe once ranked play is introduced that all perks will be at level 1 with no elite wildlife. I agree that a higher ranked player with 3 star perks has a big advantage against level 10 and lower.

SlickVic

Not sure if everyone wants to play Medic, but it feels the game doesn't try terribly hard to match me into a game with my preferred class. I do want to play more online, but the Medic class really suits my play style more than the other ones. Oh well, I'm still enjoying playing solo.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Getting harder and harder to win as kraken. Level 30± matchups are tough with a Cabot/Caira combo. Mainly Cabot. That dudes an asshole lol.

IcyEyes

Finally I played with a group of strangers that managed to defeat a stage 3 Wraith.

Bucket takes most of the credits. That "guy" is really powerful against the OP Wraith.

Btw, I still think this game has some awesome moments, but I swear, the matchmaking is atrocious and you need some luck to find a decent group.

Spinluck

Would be cool if there was a monster that can manipulate wild life into helping it or something.

The best you can do now is initiate combat with hunters around a bunch of trapjaws or challenging monsters. But they will still attack the monster during the exchange.

Would be cool if there was a monster that can manipulate wild life into helping it or something.

The best you can do now is initiate combat with hunters around a bunch of trapjaws or challenging monsters. But they will still attack the monster during the exchange.
Kraken's vortex is excellent for this. You can push them into hostile wildlife, or even a plant. Or make them take a nice long swim in acid.

But yeah the concurrent players on Steam declining is interesting. Must be a lot of people waiting for the Wraith to be nerfed. :p
It's also interesting because the PS4 leaderboard count is slowly but steadily rising. I don't have anyone with 1 win anymore but 7 wins is up to 180k. There seems to be a real community building up for it via Twitch as well.
Like L4D, I think this game is going to have some real legs. Still not sure about its e-sport potential but I just hope they keep the game modes and maps coming at a steady pace.

Edit: just played an incredibly laggy match but managed to win it right after stage 2 evolution. Pick your evolution spots wisely people! Dune beetles <3

So the game just put me into a match after it had already started, so I hit E to take control of the bot, who happened to be a Wraith.

This was my first online game as the Wraith, I happened to win, and then the enemy team complained on voice chat afterwards the whole time about how I won because I chose Wraith.

I consider myself a horrible Wraith player and have lost most of my few offline matches with her so far :p

13thStep

I have spent most of the day playing Evolve and its awesome. I love playing the Evac mode. So far I've spent most of my time playing as the Assault and Support. Been the Monster once and Medic once so not too familiar with those. Never been the Trapper. I seem to be able to hold my own so far while playing with other players.

If anyone wants to play add me on PS4:

MercySeverity78

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

They had a monster that was sort of like this at one point in development, they decided relying on AI to fight for you not being that fun in the end.

sjay1994

So the game just put me into a match after it had already started, so I hit E to take control of the bot, who happened to be a Wraith.

This was my first online game as the Wraith, I happened to win, and then the enemy team complained on voice chat afterwards the whole time about how I won because I chose Wraith.

I consider myself a horrible Wraith player and have lost most of my few offline matches with her so far :p

Honestly, a half decent wraith can wreck shop, and it becomes incredibly frustrating for the hunters. Most people complain about supernova, but decoy is so fucking annoying.

I was playing with a 3 other randoms today, and we were all using mics. We kept playing evac with a person who just used wraith.

I trapped the thing 4 times while it was stage 2, and we could only do enough damage to it to take down its sheild and maybe some health.

It just kept using the supernova decoy combo, kept abducting and pouncing, and would keep warping everytime we hit it. Even when I constantly restrain the thing with griffins harpoons, it still warps, because everytime we hit it, it gains stamina.

He was a good wraith player, but none of us are having fun playing him.

I only lost once as wraith, and thats because I took over a half damaged one in defend.

She is the easiest to master, and I honestly feel bad using her to level her up, because I know people are not having fun playing against me.

Papercuts

It is so much more fun to play Wraith focused on abduction, warp blast, and supernova. But it ends up feeling like you're crippling yourself not using decoy. The move is insane for the sheer amount of stuff it offers the wraith.

Honestly, a half decent wraith can wreck shop, and it becomes incredibly frustrating for the hunters. Most people complain about supernova, but decoy is so fucking annoying.

I was playing with a 3 other randoms today, and we were all using mics. We kept playing evac with a person who just used wraith.

I trapped the thing 4 times while it was stage 2, and we could only do enough damage to it to take down its sheild and maybe some health.

It just kept using the supernova decoy combo, kept abducting and pouncing, and would keep warping everytime we hit it. Even when I constantly restrain the thing with griffins harpoons, it still warps, because everytime we hit it, it gains stamina.

He was a good wraith player, but none of us are having fun playing him.

I only lost once as wraith, and thats because I took over a half damaged one in defend.

She is the easiest to master, and I honestly feel bad using her to level her up, because I know people are not having fun playing against me.

Yep, unfun to play a decoy spamming wraith.
I played a match where a Wraith didn't use Decoy and used other abilities and tried to give us a chance by letting us revive/respawn. We still lost cause he was just trying to easy for a bit, but it was still the most fun I had versus a Wraith.

They need to boost Val's medgun. Because asides from her tranq gun, which is pretty good against Kraken, she sucks.

And the Sniper feels worse than Laz's. You just can't reliably put up enough weak points to be effectively used quick enough. Laz's Snipes are weaker but way easier to put up in sheer numbers.

Sometimes I try hiding behind Tyrants since they seem to prioritize attacking Hunters.

Higher star perks are based solely on you level. I believe once ranked play is introduced that all perks will be at level 1 with no elite wildlife. I agree that a higher ranked player with 3 star perks has a big advantage against level 10 and lower.

elite wildlife are part of the meta, i highly doubt they would remove them

Klyka

Banned
I usually do not give a damn about twitch streamers and I have never followed one but I can not overstate how much you learn about the game by watching giantchiprel and maniacsquirrel. the latter is a dev, lead artist i think.

Klyka

Banned
17 hours in and this game hasn't begun to get old. I think evacuation needs balancing in the monster's favor though.

it's nest mode. nest mode can be won but it is SO hard and the monster has a handicap from the word "go".

Also the voting system needs to change because which hunter in their right mind would ever let the monster get rescue?

SMZC

it's nest mode. nest mode can be won but it is SO hard and the monster has a handicap from the word "go".

Defend mode is the problem. It's glitched or something, and the health handicap for downing hunters doesn't take effect once they get back from the ship.

Nest mode is fine. The ability to hatch eggs more than balances things out in the monster's favor. Having to battle a monster and a minion at the same time is fucking brutal, and if it's a good monster, it will be able to feed and evolve quick enough, especially with the hunters usually worrying more about the eggs than about chasing him down when it is still on stage 1.

Klyka

Banned
Defend mode is the problem. It's glitched or something, and the health handicap for downing hunters doesn't take effect once they get back from the ship.

Nest mode is fine. The ability to hatch eggs more than balances things out in the monster's favor. Having to battle a monster and a minion at the same time is fucking brutal, and if it's a good monster, it will be able to feed and evolve quick enough, especially with the hunters usually worrying more about the eggs than about chasing him down when it is still on stage 1.

lol that's no glitch.
Hunters are supposed to come back with full health from the ship in defend

CTLance

Disclaimer: I don't play the game. I just lurk in this thread because I like the concept of asymmetrical multiplayer and enjoy the meta game talk.
That said, yesterday after helping my sis demolish her old kitchen I recharged my batteries with some pizza while watching some Evolve streams with her spouse.

There was a Bucket player who was absolutely killing it in Nest mode. Ran off straight away on his own, plunged some missiles in the first egg and pooped out sentries around it, then ran straight past it and on to the next while the sentries decimated the egg, and so on. I think he managed to kill two or maybe even three eggs by the time his team had offed one and started damaging the next (the monster had barely even hatched one itself). The result was that the fight was over incredibly quickly, and I doubt the monster ever had a realistic chance to win this.

Sadly, the player breezed past the initial setup and post-game summary screens, so I don't know what kinda level or perks he had. Maybe he was some over-levelled and experienced pro dropped into a game between bunch of shrubs...

So, what I'm asking, was that a fluke, or is that standard Bucket behaviour? For an outsider (and Evolve layman) like me it seems pretty darn imbalanced. The monster already has to juggle evolving, the minion versus remaining eggs issue and evading or killing hunters to slow the team down as per usual, but it can only fight at one place by itself, and when a single hunter can separate from the team and shred through the eggs at lightning speed like that, it is put at a tremendous disadvantage.

That solo player popped his cloak when he heard the monster nearby, then continued on with his race towards the next egg without so much as slowing down to spot it, so I bet trying to hunt the Bucket player down can become a huge time-waster for the monster as well. Something just doesn't seem to add up for me.

minx

I tried the same tactic as well as Bucket but I still find Hank Orbital Barrage a faster tool. Caira, Hank, Parnell, and Abe = good luck monster in Nest. I have seen plenty of matches where there is one egg left with the monster fighting it and I just tell Hank to head to last egg and barrage it to win it by himself.

Only negative is on some maps the eggs are placed in caves. Bucket strategt is still a very good one.

Klyka

Banned
Disclaimer: I don't play the game. I just lurk in this thread because I like the concept of asymmetrical multiplayer and enjoy the meta game talk.
That said, yesterday after helping my sis demolish her old kitchen I recharged my batteries with some pizza while watching some Evolve streams with her spouse.

There was a Bucket player who was absolutely killing it in Nest mode. Ran off straight away on his own, plunged some missiles in the first egg and pooped out sentries around it, then ran straight past it and on to the next while the sentries decimated the egg, and so on. I think he managed to kill two or maybe even three eggs by the time his team had offed one and started damaging the next (the monster had barely even hatched one itself). The result was that the fight was over incredibly quickly, and I doubt the monster ever had a realistic chance to win this.

Sadly, the player breezed past the initial setup and post-game summary screens, so I don't know what kinda level or perks he had. Maybe he was some over-levelled and experienced pro dropped into a game between bunch of shrubs...

So, what I'm asking, was that a fluke, or is that standard Bucket behaviour? For an outsider (and Evolve layman) like me it seems pretty darn imbalanced. The monster already has to juggle evolving, the minion versus remaining eggs issue and evading or killing hunters to slow the team down as per usual, but it can only fight at one place by itself, and when a single hunter can separate from the team and shred through the eggs at lightning speed like that, it is put at a tremendous disadvantage.

That solo player popped his cloak when he heard the monster nearby, then continued on with his race towards the next egg without so much as slowing down to spot it, so I bet trying to hunt the Bucket player down can become a huge time-waster for the monster as well. Something just doesn't seem to add up for me.

It's standard bucket behavior. A lot of people take reload perk too to cut down on their stealth recharge so they can run stealthed from egg to egg.
it can be REALLY devastating, especially if the team gets you in a dome and bucket is outside.
nest is basically a total run against a timer for the monster and every 10 seconds you waste is the difference between win or lose.
I actually really like hatching a minion,letting it run amok,then hatching a second one and sneaking with it. the minion actually follows you when you sneak and sneaks too, so i hide away with it trying to run the timer.

Bucket is also the reason I always play Kraken on Nest because vortex/lightning storm can kill all the turrets in one attack

SMZC

lol that's no glitch.
Hunters are supposed to come back with full health from the ship in defend

Then it's horseshit. Any decent team of hunters can wreck the monster and prevent it from destroying the objectives. It's the only game mode where the balance clearly favors the hunters.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
They need to update the game in the xbox one. Glitches with lazarus he can't revive the people because the corpses disappear. Graphical glitches when you see strange shadows in the map. The servers don't work correctly because you search for a game in evacuation coop and they put you in evacuation pvp or in a map of hunt.

Klyka

Banned
They need to update the game in the xbox one. Glitches with lazarus he can't revive the people because the corpses disappear. Graphical glitches when you see strange shadows in the map. The servers don't work correctly because you search for a game in evacuation coop and they put you in evacuation pvp or in a map of hunt.

the patch is in verification for xbone and PS4 and should be ready this coming week. that's the last thing I heard.

Papercuts

It can be valid, but going solo in this game is super dangerous. If the monster smelled and saw the cluster of 3 hunters, he should head towards the egg being damaged on the other side instead of engaging(since the trapper will dome and stall). You can still see footprints when a hunter cloaks, which I think people need to look out for more in general. A little red trail that goes right towards him. Also, hatching an egg makes the minion rush towards the hunters. I dunno what the player did in this scenario but they shouldn't hatch and feed, since it will rush the hunters and engage them alone, which is basically a free kill. The monster should attack with it, and even in the situation above if it's a monster + minion vs. the team minus the support, they're likely gonna get wrecked since it's very hard to fight both at once. I basically always armor up at the start, break an egg(not the nearest one since that's usually far from the hunters, I got one close to the one being attacked) and engage with the minion. You can wipe at the first fight usually. Minion goes berserk on the medic so you can just focus the rest.

I think Nest is in the monster's favor tbh. Rescue is a pain in the ass and has a similar tactic for it, where a single hunter can try to split from the pack and revive everyone just to queue the shuttle timer. It's extremely risky to engage at the first set of survivors at stage 1, especially if Laz is on the team. A stage one monster with no backup here is wasting his time focusing the survivors like usual since he can be nearby to revive and they're too weak at this point to camp a body and won't get away with eating them. Laz gets around the initial healthstrike, and can also cloak and run towards the next set. But it's harder to manage a bunch of moving AI and keep them down when he's running around like a jackass zapping them back up. The other medics are also good, as Val/Caira and heal them from far away and get them up on their feet faster than Lazarus. Maggie is also a good pick if Laz isn't here as Daisy basically gets a shot of drugs and runs super fast to pick everyone up.

Defend I also think is in the hunter's favor, but there's a lot I see monsters do wrong. Coordinate with the minion respawn to attack, always go for the turrets first as those alone will kill the minions. Kite around the area and try to have them fight you as the minions go past, if they split focus then you can usually down half the team. In this you actually do not want a full party wipe as they come back on a reduced timer without strikes, and the ideal situation is to basically rotate around so the whole team is never there. So if you down the medic, someone goes out of their way to pick them up, focus them again, etc. and once they're dead you can weaken the team but leave them low on hp. This lets you drop them all pretty easily when the medic comes back. You mostly want to stall them so the minions tear up in the background. Also, elite perks can still show up and damage bonus is fucking insane for the monster. They're gonna steamroll everyone if that shows up.

The real struggle in defend is if the hunters from the start all run forward and dome you, since you start with no armor and need to scrounge it up. This lets them immediately focus on your HP, and if it's done right cuts the generator off with the dome, blocking the minions in.

Ultimately Evacuation as a whole, Nest, Rescue, and Defend aren't build from the ground up as balanced and are more as a fun mode. Hunt is the only one striving for it, though there's a lot of fun strategies in all the modes.

Klyka

Banned
I'm looking froward to the new mode they are testing/teasing. They said it was "completely different to what we are currently offering".

It will of course seemingly integrate into evacuation

duppolo

ok: i bought the pc monster race edition. i should expexct to have all the non aesthetic content of the futures upgrades for free, right? if none i will review this game with 0 in any website, althought i really enjoy it

Klyka

Banned
ok: i bought the pc monster race edition. i should expexct to have all the non aesthetic content of the futures upgrades for free, right? if none i will review this game with 0 in any website, althought i really enjoy it

yeah you get all the actual content. you get both new monsters and all 6 new hunters

duppolo

nice, but if later will come others monster/hunters i just hope to take also them...im scared of a possible: evolve season 2

Klyka

Banned
nice, but if later will come others monster/hunters i just hope to take also them...im scared of a possible: evolve season 2

if they release a 6th and up monster and if they release hunters after those 6, then they will not be part of your PC monster race.

Top Bottom