• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I have buddies who play and I still play it, considering I haven't sold it yet. So it must be good for something lol.

Damn, last couple of days, I've actually been matched up with fairly good players and monsters. Been having fun. I'm level 25 btw so I don't know if that's any indication.
I'm only level 14 I think. But the videos that teach you the class are unskippable, it boggles my mind that people do not know their role and do their job.

andycapps

from what i have gathered, the balance update will be pretty huge and we'll see changes to kraken/wraith (changes,not just nerfs/buffs) and to multiple hunters, cause some of them are underperforming in the WLR department. Val for example.
Cabot is seen as a bit too high on the WLR and might get some kind of change.

Cabot is so awesome. That rail gun is just devastating, he almost feels like having a second assault class out there. Yesterday we were fighting a Kraken who was domed and on the ground for some reason. Headshot after headshot on it, then used the damage amplifier as well. Took that thing out quickly.

Cabot is so awesome. That rail gun is just devastating, he almost feels like having a second assault class out there. Yesterday we were fighting a Kraken who was domed and on the ground for some reason. Headshot after headshot on it, then used the damage amplifier as well. Took that thing out quickly.

Cabot is my dude, wouldn't be surprised if Rail gun got some sort of nerf

Klyka

Banned
so, apparently this Friday the devs will do a livestream and discuss their patch notes with the community.

we'll see if that happens!

So after having considerable time to play this, is it worth 60 bucks? I have the dough in my PSN wallet that I got refunded off The Order

I don't think any game is really worth $60 when you know they will always drop in price at a fairly consistent rate.

That being said, I have gotten a lot more enjoyment and play time out of this game than I did from many other major retail releases.

The game requires that you learn how to play it, rather than just playing it as you would a typical FPS team vs team or arena shooter. This is a particular kind of game that rewards teamwork and offers little to nothing for the person who wants to run around getting headshots.

I play almost exclusively with a group of friends who know what they are doing, so my experience is subject to those specific conditions. If you don't have friends to play with, then I would not jump in. If you do, then I would not hesitate to pick this game up.

This game is awesome when you have people working together. I really like playing trapper and medic (tranq) because they feel most important to the 'chase' part.

I hope the devs don't tie their patches to console cert like I'm hearing is what is going on, that has killed games on PC in the past when people get tired of waiting and TRS would be stupid to fall into that trap. Evolve especially seems like it has a really high learning curve for the fun factor, high enough that I'm kind of shocked it came out as a modern AAA game with these production values. Player count bleed should be countered as quick as possible.

Surbii

Banned
So after having considerable time to play this, is it worth 60 bucks? I have the dough in my PSN wallet that I got refunded off The Order
The game was totally worth $60 for me. Whenever I get tired of shooting things I switch to the monster and switch back when I'm tired of being ganged up on.

andycapps

Depends. It's a game that to be fully appreciated you need to learn the intracacies of each hunter. It's a game where the monster has a huge advantage over the hunters and none of them stand a chance 1 vs 1. But, a great team of hunters should be able to take now a great monster more times than not.

I'll say that even my pub games have gotten a lot better lately. Part of that may be that I'm higher ranked now and am playing with people who have also put in a decent amount of time. May also be that the casual players are jumping out. Either way, I'm enjoying it more now.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Another serious error(bug) in the xbox version one is in evacuation with lazarus in the mode of rescue and if you try to revive one of the survivors after death he will not go to the ship transport and stays with you fighting. In that situation you can only kill the monster or wait the death of the survivor because if this happen in the first 2 waves of 2 survivors you cannot progress.

minx

Looks like my Goliath leaderbaords reset. Last time I checked I was top 500 in the world with like a 15 win/loss ratio. Pretty frustrating.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Looks like my Goliath leaderbaords reset. Last time I checked I was top 500 in the world with like a 15 win/loss ratio. Pretty frustrating.

Yeah, mine got reset multiple times, it also hit my hunter ones. Weirdly enough they didn't go to zero though.

Another serious error(bug) in the xbox version one is in evacuation with lazarus in the mode of rescue and if you try to revive one of the survivors after death he will not go to the ship transport and stays with you fighting. In that situation you can only kill the monster or wait the death of the survivor because if this happen in the first 2 waves of 2 survivors you cannot progress.

I also had a survivor fall through the ground which was infuriating. They need to iron glitches like that out when they have a character whose mechanic hinges on it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Yeah, mine got reset multiple times, it also hit my hunter ones. Weirdly enough they didn't go to zero though.

I also had a survivor fall through the ground which was infuriating. They need to iron glitches like that out when they have a character whose mechanic hinges on it.

They have with lazarus in the xbox one version a lot of bugs where you cannot revive the people :(

Klyka

Banned
It has a lot more bugs than the PS4 version from what I've played of both. Dunno how that happened.

well microsoft did pay them for some special exclusivity on xbone so maybe that included bugs?

I hope the patch for you guys releases soon, hate to see people who genuinely have fun with the game hit with the progression reset.

Also just played 2 of the most damn enjoyable evacuation rounds with skyzard, deimos and sahr. great games guys

-Deimos

well microsoft did pay them for some special exclusivity on xbone so maybe that included bugs?

I hope the patch for you guys releases soon, hate to see people who genuinely have fun with the game hit with the progression reset.

Also just played 2 of the most damn enjoyable evacuation rounds with skyzard, deimos and sahr. great games guys

Super fun games, we kicked some ass on that second round.

sjay1994

I have been playing goliath as monster since I hate playing as wraith, no one likes playing against wraith, and I think hunters enjoy playing against a goliath in hunt.

Holy fucking shit, I think I had a mini anyuerism in my last game.

I was against a Lazarus, Maggie, Hank and Markov.

I fucked up pretty early trying to kill the lazarus stage 2, because I killed the Maggie, and I knew that if I left the lazarus would revive her again, nulifying the strike.

So I took a bunch of damage, and ultimately have to leave because the markov and hank are pushing my shit in. And of course the lazarus revives maggie.

Not to mention everytime I go after the lazarus he cloaks and runs, or the hank shields him.

tumblr_lm0fmcOWwO1qdlkgg.gif

If I had fire breath, it would have been easier, but nope. This stupid mastery system wants me to use rock throw,

I fucking hate the mastery system so much.

Klyka

Banned
If I had fire breath, it would have been easier, but nope. This stupid mastery system wants me to use rock throw,

I fucking hate the mastery system so much.

don't do the mastery system in multiplayer man. i swear, just do some solo stuff, it'll hurt way less

Skyzard

Banned

Super fun games, we kicked some ass on that second round.

They were great fun, hopefully get some more games in tomorrow too.

I got this game on thursday last week, only just had a chance to play it and I struck gold. I played extraction and the bunch of people I was paired with were great and really chilled had a blast. Here is my first win as a monster :D

(I am getting good at the medic now too:)

click here for the video

minx

Starting to notice that rescue is almost impossible for the hunter team with a monster that knows to just target the survivors and ignore hunters. I think it needs a rebalance as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Starting to notice that rescue is almost impossible for the hunter team with a monster that knows to just target the survivors and ignore hunters. I think it needs a rebalance as well.

I think Laz is vital in this mode to avoid that stuff. It's hard for the monster to focus him down without survivors just making it to the ship, and you avoid the initial strikes which gives them a larger healthpool to work with.

maneil99

You would think a mp game would be balanced and playtestef. Haven't played in over two weeks because of the wraith. Look forward to the nerf

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
You would think a mp game would be balanced and playtestef. Haven't played in over two weeks because of the wraith. Look forward to the nerf

I've had a good amount of wins against Wraiths. You were playing on launch day, people get better as time goes on.

Haven't tried the Wraith yet, but it's definitely better than the Kraken.

The movement and attacks just feel more natural.

Kraken is my favorite monster to be.

Tabasco

For anyone that has this on PC, what is your RAM, and have you ever experienced crashes to the desktop with no error?

I go with an 8 GB (2x4GB) setup. I used to have 1333 MHz speed RAM that was of somewhat cheap quality, and the game was unstable to no end. I replaced it last week with 1600 MHz RAM that seems to be of good quality, and the game is stable enough to where I can get a good amount of matches in, sometimes no crash at all from a play session. Since last Tuesday when I installed my new RAM, I experienced about 3 crashes.

From what I've heard, the game can randomly require a huge amount of RAM and if yours isn't fast enough to handle the need, the game will crash to the desktop. That's just my understanding of it, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know if the developers are working on a fix? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Klyka

Banned

Laz and Hank are basically standard team in rescue. Laz to get the survivors up with no strikes and when they are dead and hank to keep them shielded and do orbital on them.
i'd also recommend Abe. Assault is up to you really.

phoenixyz

I didn't really have time to play much since release but I was really bothered at how buggy matchmaking and the game was. And now, two weeks after release, there's still no patch. What's up with that? Has there been any word from Turtle Rock?

minx

Found a group of Australians that are some of the top in the word to party up with of with and play against. Finally lost a Hunt as a Goliath. Their Laz and Hank combo was just insane. They were so good with them. Their positioning was top teir. I targeted Laz and Hank the entire 25 minute match and just couldn't bring either one of them down.

Klyka

Banned
I didn't really have time to play much since release but I was really bothered at how buggy matchmaking and the game was. And now, two weeks after release, there's still no patch. What's up with that? Has there been any word from Turtle Rock?

Patch is in console certification hell. we'll apparently get balance update notes on friday and they will be discussed with the community on the turtle rock livestream

andycapps

I haven't fought nearly as many wraiths lately and I think I've had more wins against them lately when they have been in there. Been seeing a lot more kraken, which I'm okay with. Thing with Kraken is you really need Daisy, because it rarely touches the ground if they're not stealthing.

Got this this morning :D
Just played through the tutorials, the learning curve seems pretty steep. I guess it's because it's just not really similar to other popular shooters atm. Going to mess around offline for a while before heading online.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I think Laz is vital in this mode to avoid that stuff. It's hard for the monster to focus him down without survivors just making it to the ship, and you avoid the initial strikes which gives them a larger healthpool to work with.

But you know what happen if you use lazarus in rescue? This

Ardenyal

One odd thing i've noticed is that the coop campaign has better players than normal skirmish. You would think the competitive environment would harden players faster than playing pve.

Jito

Banned
Man, did I underestimate how much fun playing as the Monster would be, I never tried it during the beta so playing last night was my first try. Managed to pull off some sneaky moves hiding in bushes right next to the Hunters and sneaking about on rooftops right above them, it's so satisfying! I think I've got my tactics down already, getting armour then fighting for a bit at each stage of evolution, it's great being able to take a ton of damage then leap away before losing any health.

Man, did I underestimate how much fun playing as the Monster would be, I never tried it during the beta so playing last night was my first try. Managed to pull off some sneaky moves hiding in bushes right next to the Hunters and sneaking about on rooftops right above them, it's so satisfying! I think I've got my tactics down already, getting armour then fighting for a bit at each stage of evolution, it's great being able to take a ton of damage then leap away before losing any health.

I wish I could stealth better. I feel like once I fight as Goliath, the rest of the game is me trying to break away from an encounter until I'm dead.

I use my 3 leaps, leap smash, and charge. When I'm running away, it feels like I'm making insane distance with these leaps, but then I turn a corner and they're still on my trail. The couple times I've tried to then sneak and go around a corner to hide some place, they still end up coming straight for me.

Top Bottom