• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Ohhh shiny.
10960226_10205361225965660_1315639279400706509_o.jpg

Good job! What was the hardest monster and hunter to elite?

Hank and Goliath. "Damage a monster 50 meters away with the Orbital Drop 30 times" and "Damage mid air hunters with fire" were really stupid.

I still stand by that every character has at least 1 challenge that's bullshit though. Except maybe Bucket and Griffin.

zugzug

ok I took about 4 days off not playing this game on PC then I loaded it up and queued up to play...what happens get Monster as my fifth choice. Insta quit match and insta quit game again.

ok I took about 4 days off not playing this game on PC then I loaded it up and queued up to play...what happens get Monster as my fifth choice. Insta quit match and insta quit game again.

Meanwhile on PS4, I've quit 5 matchs now because it refuses to give me Monster, and the 1 match I got it everyone left by day 3 because I trashed them.

Meanwhile on PS4, I've quit 5 matchs now because it refuses to give me Monster, and the 1 match I got it everyone left by day 3 because I trashed them.

Weird. Definitely harder to get to be a hunter on PC. I'm glad that I prefer monster.

Strikes me as odd though. Considering the monster is the cool new innovative side or whatever, I expected everyone to be fighting over the chance to be the monster.

andycapps

You're still going to get it if it's your 5th choice, occasionally. Happens to me as well from time to time.

Balance is fucked right now. Too much pandering has made it very difficult for a good monster to beat a team of 4 that's also good.

The worst part is there's no way to prepare for a good team when 95% of players follow you in a stright line.

There's no middle ground right now. I either get a team of randoms that I trash or a great team of 4 that catch me at stage 1.

I think I'm about done with Evolve. The pvp still doesn't feel good to me, and the coop is too predictable. It's time to move on.

minx

Balance is fucked right now. Too much pandering has made it very difficult for a good monster to beat a team of 4 that's also good.

The worst part is there's no way to prepare for a good team when 95% of players follow you in a stright line.

There's no middle ground right now. I either get a team of randoms that I trash or a great team of 4 that catch me at stage 1.

I think I'm about done with Evolve. The pvp still doesn't feel good to me, and the coop is too predictable. It's time to move on.

How did you farm Goliath 3 star fire breath? It takes forever.

Just played my first online match as the monster (Goliath)
I won, it was super satisfying and really thrilling, knowing that you're still pretty vulnerable at the start.

Bizazedo

Can you elaborate on this? Why can't it just be that you're smashing randoms, but only average and losing to better players? Why is it automatically assumed you're great?

And you might be, but a detailed breakdown of why it's impossible for a monster to beat teams of 4 would be nice as we've already had a detailed breakdown of why some think it's impossible for a player monster to lose to a party of 4 if they're really good.

So you loaded in against a group of four, threw a tantrum, and logged. Cool story.

They do need a search queue for "I don't want to be the fucking monster" / "I want to be the fucking monster only", but unsure how that would affect things.

Can you elaborate on this? Why can't it just be that you're smashing randoms, but only average and losing to better players? Why is it automatically assumed you're great?

And you might be, but a detailed breakdown of why it's impossible for a monster to beat teams of 4 would be nice as we've already had a detailed breakdown of why some think it's impossible for a player monster to lose to a party of 4 if they're really good.

I'm not saying I'm great. I'm saying from what I've played the matchmaking doesn't allow for middle ground.

Fighting randoms does nothing to prepare you for a good team, to the point that fighting them is almost pointless.

This might be asking a bit much, but could you take a screenshot/video of the spot?

I could use the help with the "do thing to hunter in the air" challenges.

No. It's the big drop off, next to the over turned humvee, next to the Power Relay, on Armory.

They do need a search queue for "I don't want to be the fucking monster" / "I want to be the fucking monster only", but unsure how that would affect things.

I don't think this would work. The monster plays so different to everything that they have to force people out of their comfort zone and into the 'hot seat', or new players aren't going to be picking the monster due to the pressure of it and then never learning it. It reminds me of the commander role in the natural selection and savage games, where they come with so much responsibility that people were put off from trying it but then you vastly reduce the player pool that is going to become good at it and you need those.

I consider the more crucial classes like trapper in this too.

All today I've been thrown into the monster role unexpectedly and ended up having a blast. It is really intense but it's super fun and rewarding. I love moving around the map as goliath.

-Deimos

I only find that to be true with Goliath. Kraken and Wraith are still able to win against a good team.

Klyka

Banned
FUCK i hate this game when it suddenly starts lagging for no reason and all your monster skills do absolutely nothing and you start gliding and sliding around like crazy.

oh, i hit you straight in the middle with my leap smash? no damage.
oh my rock hit you in the face? nope, nothing.

fucking piece of shit

I wonder how this sold. This OT seems quite quiet which is a shame, cus there's a really cool game here. I think the very public DLC controversy might've turned a lot of people off.

minx

I wonder how this sold. This OT seems quite quiet which is a shame, cus there's a really cool game here. I think the very public DLC controversy might've turned a lot of people off.

Yeah it did turn off a lot of people which is too bad. This game is extremely addicting and I'm not sure I have played a game this much so fast in maybe 5 years. Saying that though this game is very buggy. Had my level reset. Leaderbaords reset. Losing connection. Game crashing. Losing skins from my pre order. And 2K customer service is atrocious.

I'm also finally being matched with players higher than 30 like myself and the hunters are getting tougher. Makes the game a lot more fun having a challenge as Goliath. Once I get to level 40 though I might take a break from the game until new maps, modes, monsters.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Another bug in evacuation in the reports:
Screenshot-Original.png

And this is with my character hank from 2 days ago:
Screenshot-Original.png
If all the games i played was with hank now the number is more higher.
But now my character is bucket.

Yeah it did turn off a lot of people which is too bad. This game is extremely addicting and I'm not sure I have played a game this much so fast in maybe 5 years. Saying that though this game is very buggy. Had my level reset. Leaderbaords reset. Losing connection. Game crashing. Losing skins from my pre order. And 2K customer service is atrocious.

I'm also finally being matched with players higher than 30 like myself and the hunters are getting tougher. Makes the game a lot more fun having a challenge as Goliath. Once I get to level 40 though I might take a break from the game until new maps, modes, monsters.
It is really satisfying. I feel like there are a few issues though, especially in terms of stealth - when you stealth as a monster if you do it properly, it seems to be quite easy to get to level 3 without every having an interaction with the hunters. Also sometimes it feels like you'll be running around for 10 minutes before an encounter. The base is really solid though :)

Also, Wraith seems to be broken if you're doing offline bots. Nobody seems to be able to decide which one is real, it's weird.

minx

It is really satisfying. I feel like there are a few issues though, especially in terms of stealth - when you stealth as a monster if you do it properly, it seems to be quite easy to get to level 3 without every having an interaction with the hunters. Also sometimes it feels like you'll be running around for 10 minutes before an encounter. The base is really solid though :)

Also, Wraith seems to be broken if you're doing offline bots. Nobody seems to be able to decide which one is real, it's weird.

Wraith is very broken. I won't play Wraith because people will leave and it honestly feels like cheating.

I would advise hunters to have a really good Laz and Hank. It will be extremely hard for a monster to get t Laz if he plays it smart and does safe cloaking and Hank shielding when necessary. This forces monster to kill Hank and sit on top of his body taking a lot of damage for only one strike. The only time I lost as Goliath in hunt the team used this strategy. Granted that Laz was #10 in the world lol so they knew what they were doing. Laz on his own without Hank isn't enough because the monster will be able to kill Laz without the shielding.

The Foul

i5 3570K and GTX 670.

If it's not the RAM then it might be the graphics card.

Hmmm if I were to bet I'd say its GPU moreso than RAM, though if its cheap stuff it could be faulty (and out of my experience league). My old 560ti ran the beta at 30fps rather admirably... Its a long shot but maybe try removing the GPU and clearing the dust out? Same for CPU heatsink. Perhaps monitor temperature and see if its getting too hot before going to that extent.

In any case, definitely post in the PC troubleshooting thread here on Gaf, somehow I don't think its your RAM tho...

Someone should try to scroll to the bottom of the leaderboards per platform.
I don't want to because I don't know a fast way to do it.

BlazinAm

What is the leveling path for the Goliath right now? I assume the charge move and the rock throw are must upgrade abilities but what about his dive and fire breath?

Man these 3 star Goliath challenges are no joke. I average around 1k fire damage per round, so that should only be like... 80 more rounds. But I am at 20 of 150 at hitting hunters in the air with rocks. Never gonna happen. Seems more daunting than Titanfall's 50 gooser grind.

What is the leveling path for the Goliath right now? I assume the charge move and the rock throw are must upgrade abilities but what about his dive and fire breath?

I start at 2 fire 1 charge so I can wreck wildlife but hold my own against hunters and use charge to escape. Then I add 1 star to rock and smash and level up fire all the way. Lastly I level rock up and I usually add another to smash but I'm gonna try charge.

My perk I usually do damage increase or damage resistance depending on mode.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I start at 2 fire 1 charge so I can wreck wildlife but hold my own against hunters and use charge to escape. Then I add 1 star to rock and smash and level up fire all the way. Lastly I level rock up and I usually add another to smash but I'm gonna try charge.

My perk I usually do damage increase or damage resistance depending on mode.

Yeah, I do something similar.

I either start 2 fire 1 charge, or 1 rock throw, 1 fire, 1 charge. I think fire is great for wildlife clearing while you move around, and charge has utility in getting away and fighting.

When I get to level 2 I always get atleast 2 rock throw by this point, 2 fire, and 1 leap smash. I usually end games here, but if I have to go to 3 I go 3 fire 3 rock 2 charge. Leap smash is generally my least used move.

Klyka

Banned
I start with 1 leap, 1 charge and 1 fire so I am super mobile and can kill wildlife and then i put 3 into rock at stage 2 because that's your main damage ability.

Rock is super powerful and fast to recharge, seems like one of those skills that was balanced with people analog stick aiming in mind that on a mouse is much more deadly.

Klyka

Banned
Just had a game as Assault against Kraken where the Trapper about 1 minute into the match stopped at a "bullets slow target down" buff we had just killed and all taken and kept spamming it with Q for like 2 minutes. He would not move away from it, he just spammed and spammed while we rushed after the Kraken who already went lvl 2 and we couldn't dome him cause our Trapper decided to spam this dead buff for 2 minutes.

I finally told him in voice to stop being a fucking idiot and do his job and he wrote "but we need the buff" in chat which I just answered "WE ALL HAVE IT THE WHOLE TIME GOD DAMMIT" to. We then proceeded to get our butt torn open by a then Stage 3 Kraken who ran around free the entire map.

SIGH.

Coins

Banned
I got this last night from my wife as a birthday gift. Downloaded the update (ps4) and installed. Started the game up and tried to watch the cutscene and its almost unwatchable. Its stuttering horribly. Is this common or is my disc fucked?

caleb1915

Just bought the regular edition, I'm just gonna be playing this solo anyways since I just want to terrorize and murder the hunters that dare to come after me.

Anyways, I have a question, are there any options to buy the other two monsters by themselves. Or have they said anything about adding them to the store in the future.

andycapps

This is the graphical glitch i talked in previous posts:

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

And now the leaderboard are reset :(

I've gotten a graphical glitch once on my PS4 and it stuck around between matches. When I restarted the game it was fine.

Coins said:
I got this last night from my wife as a birthday gift. Downloaded the update (ps4) and installed. Started the game up and tried to watch the cutscene and its almost unwatchable. Its stuttering horribly. Is this common or is my disc fucked?

That's not normal. Does it happen every time?

glaurung

I finally got around to playing this game on PS4. Got a cheap-ish copy from TGC and so far I am not regretting it.

The game looks good, the netcode seems relatively solid (odd hiccups every now and then occur, but do not hinder game play). Sound is excellent (that boom when Goliath comes around) and control seems fuzzy enough to make it easy to play.

I played a few rounds of solo, focusing on the medic. Nowhere near unlocking Lazarus yet, but it is good fun.

The first online match I got grouped up with complete strangers, played medic and we won the match.

Later on I got matched into a game where I became the monster. I was sure that I would lose it since I was barely evolution level 2. Oddly enough, I managed to evolve to level 3 without much attention from the hunters (kept sneaking and avoiding those silly birds). And finally at level three, went ape on the hunters as they were hunkering down at the power relay. I chuckled when their trapper set up a dome arena to keep me out. OK. When it came down, I managed to take out their healers and then focus on the trapper and assault. And I won! How cool is that?

I rarely win at MP FPS games. I guess it was just beginner's luck.

That reminds me of a new glitch I saw the other day on PC.

I have had the one multiple times where your red mouse cursor disappears. Someone taught me that it's a steam overlay thing though, so opening and closing that fixes it.

But the other day I had an issue where the red mouse cursor stayed on the screen, even during gameplay. I had my aiming cursor but then the pointing cursor was also being moved around the screen as I used my mouse. Was kind of distracting.

Klyka

Banned
That reminds me of a new glitch I saw the other day on PC.

I have had the one multiple times where your red mouse cursor disappears. Someone taught me that it's a steam overlay thing though, so opening and closing that fixes it.

But the other day I had an issue where the red mouse cursor stayed on the screen, even during gameplay. I had my aiming cursor but then the pointing cursor was also being moved around the screen as I used my mouse. Was kind of distracting.

I honestly just turned the whole overlay off for Evolve so I don't need to fiddle with the mouse till it's fixed.

Korosenai

My friend has been playing this a lot and got elite with Cabot a week ago, and elite with Bucket a couple days ago. Yesterday, his stats got reset so he lost everything. Can't believe this shit is still happening.

Klyka

Banned
My friend has been playing this a lot and got elite with Cabot a week ago, and elite with Bucket a couple days ago. Yesterday, his stats got reset so he lost everything. Can't believe this shit is still happening.

they say they have it fixed on xbone (where it happens the most apparently) and are releasing the patch "ASAP" which,well, means it's in the hands of MS and Sony now

Top Bottom