• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Klyka

Banned
Only this!!??? OMG! the game have a lot more bugs!

it's not a "proper" patch, it's a quick fix for the progression reset which has been hitting basically every xbone player.

they needed to push it out to save their customers,basically

PS4 and PC have way less resets apparently.

Directly from the devs mouth:

Chris Ashton, Co-Founder

Yes. Coming soon to PC. We prioritized the Xbox because the progression loss issues were so bad there.

Klyka

Banned
Patch notes for tonights stream!

So these are the changes that we'll be playing with today. Please keep in mind that these are not final. Interested in hearing what people think.

All Monsters
Minor maintenance and improvements

There is now a cooldown after each stealth pounce
All monsters can see recent damage on their health bar to help make burst damage visible.
Kraken
Fixing some flight edge cases that were causing inconsistencies making him too powerful or too weak depending on the situation.

Tranq Darts, Stasis Grenades and Harpoons pull Kraken down at a consistent rate regardless of whether he is in combat or out of combat. (they used to stack outside of combat)
Kraken’s flight speed is no longer slowed by Tranqs and Stasis grenades since they pull him to the ground where running speed is affected.
Aftershock
Fixed a bug that was causing Aftershock to not break harpoon traps, Arc Mines or Sound Spikes.
Wraith
Making her movement speed less bursty which makes her easier to keep track of. Making Supernova less lethal while still allowing it to be just as powerful. Making Warp Blast a damage dealer instead of a traversal mechanic.

Warp Traversal
Speed reduced 25%
Supernova
Duration decreased by 50%
Decoy
Wraith becomes visible for half a second when shot while cloaked.
Cooldown increased by 2 seconds.
Warp Blast
Speed reduced by 40%.
Radius levels up now instead of range.
Max travel distance set to 30 meters for all levels.
Damage increased by 10%.
Trappers
Increasing the Trapper's effectiveness.

Mobile arena
Can no longer be heard by the Monster player (equipment sfx and VO callout.) Monster players need to be more aware and see the location of the Hunters rather than just listening for the Mobile Arena audio.
Markov
Balancing the Arc Mines a bit.

Arc Mine
Damage reduced by 20%
Fixed a bug where damage extended past the trigger radius.
Health reduced by 75% (they pop real easy now with flame breath, etc.)
Arm time increased by one second.
Hyde
Making Toxic Grenade a more effective area of denial weapon while also making it less spammy. Buffing Hyde's overall damage output.

Toxic Grenade
DPS increased by 50%
Now explodes in proximity to a monster (works vs airborne Kraken now)
Throw rate reduced
Toxic cloud lifetime reduced by 15%
Minigun
Accuracy increased by 12%
Damage increased by 20%
Parnell
Multifire Rocket launcher
Has better accuracy while jumping and jetpacking
Maggie
Harpoon Trap
Arm time increased by one second.
Griffin
Sound Spike
Detection range increased to 60 meters
Now detects stealthing monsters within a 15 meter radius
Bucket
Guided Missile Launcher
Damage increased 11%
Cabot
Rail Cannon
Damage reduced by 30%
Reload time increased by 25%
Val
Increasing her overall effectiveness. Made her Medgun a bit more bursty. This makes capacity and reload perks useful for Val.

Medgun
Heals 20% faster
Consumes ammo 2.5x faster.
Takes 50% more time to recharge.
Tranquilizer
Duration increased to 10 seconds on all monsters (was already 10 seconds on Wraith, now other monsters match)
Caira
Acceleration Field
Cooldown increased by 15 seconds.

Bizazedo

First, main takeaway.

Wraith's female? Cool.

Followed by....

30% nerf to railgun, oof. But the Cabot in my group has killed several monsters through walls, so maybe....

The arc mine nerf, being able to blow them up easily, seems like a huge huge nerf paired with the damage cut. My buddy's been straying towards Hyde a bit, anyways, since he's so good versus Wraith, but this might speed him along.

Caira speed nerf isn't huge for how I use it, but it'll definitely help the Monsters. The Val buff doesn't really seem to help keep her alive, though, which makes me feel ambivalent.

Tabasco

Wtf? they were already taking way too long to get down in battle and felt like a huge waste of time compared to just doing damage.
I agree.

I felt like her harpoon traps were almost useless since they're pretty bad at detecting the monster and activating.

They should have buffed the distance required for the traps to activate at least.

Also, Griffin's harpoon gun needs a buff as well. It's way too easy for the monster to break free from it, and it might need a distance buff.

None of this is set in stone, this is what we'll see in the livestream and the devs are open for talks

I see. I kind of wish they'd have a Maggie without Daisy as I don't rely on her much anymore but would rather have another ability in that slot. As it is I think the harpoon traps are kind of weak for being her only real ability.

Surbii

Banned
I see. I kind of wish they'd have a Maggie without Daisy as I don't rely on her much anymore but would rather have another ability in that slot. As it is I think the harpoon traps are kind of weak for being her only real ability.

Maybe if Daisy would be more useful if she did more damage in fights or could revive faster.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, that looks like it'll basically gut Markov. They smacked mines hard.

My main issue with Wraith has always been on Decoy, so I'm surprised they didn't do much about that. Instead they hit Supernova...eh. I'll see how it pans out I guess, but I didn't expect that. I still expect Wraith rage because, seriously, Decoy is stupid powerful.

minx

Wow, that looks like it'll basically gut Markov. They smacked mines hard.

My main issue with Wraith has always been on Decoy, so I'm surprised they didn't do much about that. Instead they hit Supernova...eh. I'll see how it pans out I guess, but I didn't expect that. I still expect Wraith because, seriously, Decoy is stupid powerful.

I agree they are nerfing the wrong thing. Supernova is fine because that is supposed to be the damage dealer. Is the current state stage 3 decoy seems to do more damage when it's a damn DECOY.

Klyka

Banned
I agree they are nerfing the wrong thing. Supernova is fine because that is supposed to be the damage dealer. Is the current state stage 3 decoy seems to do more damage when it's a damn DECOY.

Decoy is only good against newer players while doing barely anything against more experienced players. You can literally just dash over it and it's AI can't deal with it.

This has been said by the devs too, they never want to do an AI based ability again because it is only ever strong against new players and fails entirely against experienced players.

Decoy as damage is basically a none issue.

Decoy as damage is basically a none issue.
Right... I seem to remember someone here posting a video of a level 3 decoy nearly killing everyone from full health while they were defending an indoor relay.

Non-issue my ass. I'll be on the stream to spam "nerf decoy damage" later.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to just play the monster alone with no hunters around to practice?

It's rough learning the monster in single player as the hunters destroy me as I'm experimenting then I have to sit through like 5 minutes of progress screens and level loads to get back.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Right... I seem to remember someone here posting a video of a level 3 decoy nearly killing everyone from full health while they were defending an indoor relay.

Non-issue my ass. I'll be on the stream to spam "nerf decoy damage" later.

That was me.

And yeah, I don't think it's something that just works on new people. You can smartly use the damage to your advantage, like on places like Aviary. Wait out by those small tunnels, smell them coming, decoy and watch it wreck them. It's such a safe move. Like you said, it also allows the hunting stage to be ridiculous for her as she can (safely) solo an elite monster for something like a damage bonus really early on.

I fully expect Decoy damage to get nerfed eventually. This type of shit should only happen when she supernova -> decoys as it uses her precious supernova timer.

Is there a way to just play the monster alone with no hunters around to practice?

It's rough learning the monster in single player as the hunters destroy me as I'm experimenting then I have to sit through like 5 minutes of progress screens and level loads to get back.

You can replay the tutorial and ignore the objectives if you want to focus on movement and stuff. That only works for goliath though.

Klyka

Banned
Again, the developers themselves literally said that all their telemetry they have shows decoy is only effective at lower levels and since it is as AI becomes almost completely useless at higher levels.

I myself have no opinion on the decoy cause it's a non issue for me.

Bizazedo

The other dumb thing about decoy is that it just pisses players off and makes them not like the game due to the fact that it's called "Decoy" and fucking them up. The very connotation of the word makes it feel like doing damage is wrong.

I was hoping for something creative, like making the Decoy like moulting its skin and make it require / use some armor to "cast". Then I'd be okay that it does damage since it'd be like spawning a minion at a cost.

Klyka

Banned
The other dumb thing about decoy is that it just pisses players off and makes them not like the game due to the fact that it's called "Decoy" and fucking them up. The very connotation of the word makes it feel like doing damage is wrong.

I was hoping for something creative, like making the Decoy like moulting its skin and make it require / use some armor to "cast". Then I'd be okay that it does damage since it'd be like spawning a minion at a cost.

Well we got the stream in a bit, let's see what they have to say/show.
Who knows, maybe they got some actual gameplay changes lined up too.

-Deimos

I'm not liking the fact the monster can't hear the arena callout anymore either. It seems like an unnecessary nerf that makes the game easier for bad trappers. And why the HUGE cooldown nerf on Caira? The previous cooldown was fine and 15 seconds is an eternity in game time.

Klyka

Banned
I'm not liking the fact the monster can't hear the arena callout anymore either. It seems like an unnecessary nerf that makes the game easier for bad trappers. And why the HUGE cooldown nerf on Caira? The previous cooldown was fine and 15 seconds is an eternity in game time.

because the bug is fixed that makes reload perk work on personal skills.

-Deimos

because the bug is fixed that makes reload perk work on personal skills.

Doesn't that make it even worse? Now you have 15 seconds, which is a really long time, on top of the old cooldown, which was already pretty long, plus now you can't even reduce that cooldown with the reload perk.

And I didn't even know the perk was bugged. I thought it was working as intended.

Klyka

Banned
Doesn't that make it even worse? Now you have 15 seconds, which is a really long time, on top of the old cooldown, which was already pretty long, plus now you can't even reduce that cooldown with the reload perk.

And I didn't even know the perk was bugged. I thought it was working as intended.

The did say they will have to fix all the numbers on the personal skills.

Again,these are not patch notes. These are the things they are currently testing.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I like this: Bucket Guided Missile Launcher Damage increased 11%

And hank they don't touch nothing right?

Yeah, hank is in a great spot apparently
Great because i only use hunk and bucket they are my primary characters.Lazarus the second one,markov the third and abe the final.

Another thing they have to change is the orbital strike with hank versus the ai of the monster.The monster knows when you are launching the orbital strike before you are even launching.The monster moves before the orbital strike falls down.So basically the orbital strike against the monster in evacuation is useless.They have to change that.

jesu

Played tonight for the first time in a couple of weeks.
Matchmaking on the X1 seems to be better, can play 4 vs AI no problem.
Unlike the last time when matchmaking took ages and would end up being thrown into a random 4 vs 1 match.

Klyka

Banned
Played tonight for the first time in a couple of weeks.
Matchmaking on the X1 seems to be better, can play 4 vs AI no problem.
Unlike the last time when matchmaking took ages and would end up being thrown into a random 4 vs 1 match.

they did patch it today, so that should be it

Pretty good and informative stream, I'd love to see more like it from any dev.

That said, I'd still like to see a damage nerf to the decoy. They talked about correct usage being misdirection but never really touched on the damage output. Hell, they even showed a lvl 1 decoy taking out a mammoth bird in 1 hit, and the ACTUAL wraith taking 3 hits to kill another one.
Being able to shoot the wraith out of cloak is a welcome change that I can see helping a lot of hunters, though.
That was me.

And yeah, I don't think it's something that just works on new people. You can smartly use the damage to your advantage, like on places like Aviary. Wait out by those small tunnels, smell them coming, decoy and watch it wreck them. It's such a safe move. Like you said, it also allows the hunting stage to be ridiculous for her as she can (safely) solo an elite monster for something like a damage bonus really early on.

I fully expect Decoy damage to get nerfed eventually. This type of shit should only happen when she supernova -> decoys as it uses her precious supernova timer.
Yep, exactly. If they don't nerf it in the upcoming balance patch, then I expect them to sometime down the line.

Hyde got a pretty decent buff.
And Griffin's Spikes are better now and not easily countered by mud monsters.

What was Val's Tranq duration on non-Wraith monsters before anyway?

Jito

Banned
I think it' be a good idea to remove the Hunter health bars and names from the Monsters perspective, it makes it far to easy to focus damage on Trappers or Medics to get out of sticky situations and just focusing damage on players with low health. I'm sure it'd make it more risky getting into fights as the Monster if you had no idea how the Hunters are holding up.

man, the PS4 has some serious matchmaking issues when I'm in a party with a friend. there's no way it should take this long to find a full match.

DNAbro

Bought this game to play with some friends and wow it is much better than anticipated. Had an amazingly close game where I took out the Kraken by myself right before it was able to take down the relay. Game has some amazingly tense moments.

minx

What an amazing update on XB1. Game still crashes.

Edit: Happened again halfway through a defend mode in evacuation. Goodbye big evacuation bonus.

Edit #2: next try... middle of evacuation again lost connection to host.

Klyka

Banned
So, am i the only GAFfer on PC left playing this?
Everyone else taking a break/stopped?

I'd love to get a party going tonight again

So, am i the only GAFfer on PC left playing this?
Everyone else taking a break/stopped?

I'd love to get a party going tonight again

Steam id: william_557 Currently my mic is playing up but i can still here chat

Update: mics working although i'm still getting used to the game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
With the new update in the xbox one they fixed the problem with the shadows in some maps but they fixed the problem turning off the flashlight so in the night maps is hard to see in some areas :/

Top Bottom