• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Klyka

Banned
We are going to stream Friday from the studio, showcasing the current balance changes. We'll post them on the forums here beforehand so you all can dissect and ask questions. Lots of cool stuff happening with the game in the near future, but we gotta prioritize fixing people's progression issues first. Xbox patch is incoming, then things start rollin again in the rest of the game.

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/dont-let-the-game-die-please-announce-your-plans/41700/121

Blech. Just about to finish a game in which we lost easily because the support was miles away from everyone at all times. Instead of following the rest of the group, or even the monster trails/birds disturbed etc he just decided to wander about doing his own thing. :/

This is the graphical glitch i talked in previous posts:

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

And now the leaderboard are reset :(

X-ray shadows?
Yep, seen them more than a few times.

Blech. Just about to finish a game in which we lost easily because the support was miles away from everyone at all times. Instead of following the rest of the group, or even the monster trails/birds disturbed etc he just decided to wander about doing his own thing. :/

One time I joined a match as support and the support was separate from the team and I had to spend a few minutes on catch-up. Things went well though.

One time I joined a match as support and the support was separate from the team and I had to spend a few minutes on catch-up. Things went well though.
That's different, to be fair. Support was definitely NOT trying to catch up (the person was there the whole match and was constantly running away from the group) and it didn't go well. :/

Klyka

Banned
Last night we trap a Kraken with a group of randoms at Stage 1.
I was playing Markov and we had an Abe and a Val, meaning the Kraken would basically not get in the air at all. So the moment the dome goes down I start quickly throwing some mines before engaging. At that point the support, a Cabot starts shouting at me "OMG KLYKA DO DAMAGE WTF ARE YOU DOING" which I just respond to with "placing mines, give me a sec here" He proceeds to shout at me that "placing mines against Kraken is a waste of time that I suck and that I need to shoot the fucking monster."
So I placed my mines and go Lightning Gun and start laying into the Kraken.
He is going after our Abe who has been throwing stasis everywhere and Val has been doing a great job tranqing. So Abe gets focuses and the Kraken on the ground comes after him and Abe goes "oh look at those neatly set up mines over there" and runs into them. Kraken just jumps after Abe and at that moment Cabot uses his damage amp for the first time.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Four damage amped mines go off in the Kraken's face, taking down what was left of his armor and bringing him to half health.

I throw some more mines he runs into and we finish him up in less than 40 seconds or so.

All I said in Lobby after was "7k damage with mines" which the Cabot responds to with "Sorry about that mate".

I then called it quits for the night :D

PhatSaqs

Banned
I was playing Markov and we had an Abe and a Val, meaning the Kraken would basically not get in the air at all. So the moment the dome goes down I start quickly throwing some mines before engaging. At that point the support, a Cabot starts shouting at me "OMG KLYKA DO DAMAGE WTF ARE YOU DOING" which I just respond to with "placing mines, give me a sec here" He proceeds to shout at me that "placing mines against Kraken is a waste of time that I suck and that I need to shoot the fucking monster."
He is going after our Abe who has been throwing stasis everywhere and Val has been doing a great job tranqing. So Abe gets focuses and the Kraken on the ground comes after him and Abe goes "oh look at those neatly set up mines over there" and runs into them. Kraken just jumps after Abe and at that moment Cabot uses his damage amp for the first time.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Four damage amped mines go off in the Kraken's face, taking down what was left of his armor and bringing him to half health.

I throw some more mines he runs into and we finish him up in less than 40 seconds or so.

All I said in Lobby after was "7k damage with mines" which the Cabot responds to with "Sorry about that mate".

Pretty much why Cabots getting nerfed (and railgun outdamaging assaults) lol. Cabot mine combo is way too good.

Klyka

Banned
Pretty much why Cabots getting nerfed (and railgun outdamaging assaults) lol. Cabot mine combo is way too good.

It's pretty crazy. I mean obviously it needs some coordination between the Markov and the Cabot (or just Cabot having an eye on when the monster is about to hit a mine) but it is really ridicoulously strong.
The monster basically just instantly loses multiple bars.

andycapps

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Cabot is so OP he feels like an extra assault on the team. He and Caira are my favorite characters. I hope they don't nerf Cabot's railgun too much, I mean, it's a railgun.

Jito

Banned
I wish I could stealth better. I feel like once I fight as Goliath, the rest of the game is me trying to break away from an encounter until I'm dead.

I use my 3 leaps, leap smash, and charge. When I'm running away, it feels like I'm making insane distance with these leaps, but then I turn a corner and they're still on my trail. The couple times I've tried to then sneak and go around a corner to hide some place, they still end up coming straight for me.

The best way to get away from fights I found is to take out the medic or trapper, use some leaps to get away (I usually try to use two and save one just in case), then double back on yourself in sneak mode whilst the Hunters are reviving or trying to play catch up. Another thing I do is play with the map open constantly, it helps me plan out where I want to go and how I can use the environment to block the Hunters line of sight.

I'm having trouble getting used to the Kraken though, I just end up floating about soaking up damage and not really doing much damage myself. It's also a lot harder to disengage from the Hunters as they can clearly see me flying about!

13thStep

So I have the monster listed as my #5 choice b/c I suck playing as the monster. For over an hour every match I got into I was the monster and it was mid-match. It was very disappointing...I finally gave up after an hour of trying.

Bizazedo

Yep. I've mentioned it here, but last week a Wraith died after killing Caira and Griffin and getting cocky in stage 3. Over 10k damage in mines from Markov / Cabot. He had like 4bars of health left and it just .... vanished.

Cabot is so OP he feels like an extra assault on the team. He and Caira are my favorite characters. I hope they don't nerf Cabot's railgun too much, I mean, it's a railgun.

That's exactly what our Cabot said last night. He felt like a second assault. Our assault still does heavy damage, but Cabot is significant, so much so that the guy playing Cabot tried to figure out if it was better to just railgun and never damage amp (but he thinks the damage #s are recording wrong on damage amp so he keeps doing it).

So I have the monster listed as my #5 choice b/c I suck playing as the monster. For over an hour every match I got into I was the monster and it was mid-match. It was very disappointing...I finally gave up after an hour of trying.

You just met a lot of premades, I imagine.

Cabot is so OP he feels like an extra assault on the team.
I think that was the idea.
Hank = defensive support
Bucket = tracking support
Cabot = offensive support

But yeah they're going to have to nerf his damage amp a little (which would be an interesting change considering Cabot says "200% of your weapons!" occasionally) I was thinking they will probably take away railgun crits as well.

andycapps

I think that was the idea.
Hank = defensive support
Bucket = tracking support
Cabot = offensive support

But yeah they're going to have to nerf his damage amp a little (which would be an interesting change considering Cabot says "200% of your weapons!" occasionally) I was thinking they will probably take away railgun crits as well.

Which makes sense, it's cool with me if the support classes have different roles and if Cabot is offensive support. A slight damage reduction may make sense, but talk of nerfing him makes me nervous because then I feel like they'll ruin a good character. It's possible for the monster to take him out fairly easily. He doesn't have a shield like assault. The only real defense he has in being attacked by the monster is the cloak ability like other support.

Most times though I see the monster focusing on assault so it lets me sit back and get headshot after headshot, alternated between using the damage amplifier. Caira, Cabot, Markov, and Abe on a monster can be almost impossible to beat. Abe keeps laying stasis and Cabot and Markov go nuts on the monster while Caira keeps healing everyone from a distance and then uses speed boost once the dome goes down. Monster can never get away and can constantly be pressured.

Bizazedo

Most times though I see the monster focusing on assault so it lets me sit back and get headshot after headshot, alternated between using the damage amplifier. Caira, Cabot, Markov, and Abe on a monster can be almost impossible to beat. Abe keeps laying stasis and Cabot and Markov go nuts on the monster while Caira keeps healing everyone from a distance and then uses speed boost once the dome goes down. Monster can never get away and can constantly be pressured.

That's primarily the squad we run when not trying to mastery the others. Wraith just gets smoked by that combo from us, usually.

....we're now having issues with Goliaths, though :(.

So last night I was a goliath and the hunters all got a "bullets slow the monster" buff. I'm not one to cry "nerf!", but holy shit nerf that buff. It was like being in a constant stasis field. All I could do was turtle behind a corner until the dome went down then I ran like hell. I've never felt so weak playing a monster as I did then.

Natiko

Banned
Maybe they'll get the patch out soon and me and my friends will finally be able to play. We played a bunch the day it was released only to see that my progress was reset by the second day. Nobody has touched it since.

CzarTim

Somedays I play and have a nice time, others I get bad luck in matchmaking and end up frustrated. I really enjoy the game, but it's incredibly inconsistent.

Skyzard

Banned

I have the same trouble whenever I play not in a party, takes like 15 minutes of retrying (and waiting for the matchmaking cooldown to end each time) sometimes when I don't want to play as monster (most of the time).

CzarTim

I have the same trouble whenever I play not in a party, takes like 15 minutes of retrying (and waiting for the matchmaking cooldown to end each time) sometimes when I don't want to play as monster (most of the time).

Yup, the way they designed matchmaking is just fundamentally broken for this type of game. I wish they had done what Heroes of the Storm does: chose a class and then matchmake into a group each time you want to play. There's no real reason to have a never-ending playlist for this type of game as it just leaves people frustrated having to play a class or character they hate. Also they should completely remove joining mid-match. It sucks when people leave, but rounds are too short to justify filling empty slots. I can't count how many times I've joined a match in progress only to have it end quicker than it took me to load into the game.

vazel

Banned
This game needs a quick battle mode where the monster spawns at stage 3 with the hunters in a cordoned off area of the map. This will help keep the interest of people that get bored of the running and waiting in hunt mode.

This game needs a quick battle mode where the monster spawns at stage 3 with the hunters in a cordoned off area of the map. This will help keep the interest of people that get bored of the running and waiting in hunt mode.

I don't think the actual battling is strong enough to be the only thing there though. This game is about hunting and the tracking is a big part of hunting, removing it would make it something entirely different and not as good imo. Just like a real hunt the 90% is tracking and 10% actual action, which makes the action that much more interesting. Whether the tracking is fun or not for people is another issue, personally I think support and assault don't have much to do in the tracking part of the game. I have been playing tracker mainly because I feel like I have the most agency in that part of the game, and medic as a secondary because at least I can tranq it.

-Deimos

Defend? Though there's no way of playing it without going through the evac campaign unless you play a custom match.

Just tried Defend for the first time, it was pretty fun. Honestly, it's such a shame this doesn't seem to have a larger community. It's really satisfying.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
when? I was just on and didn't notice any update.

About an hour ago, might need to kill the app and go back in for it. It's about 90mb.

Also looks like they tweaked progression. I have goliath's fire thing finished for elite and I was nowhere near it, same with rock throw(though I can't seem to check the value now). I'm on stage 3 with caira and her heal nades changed from 900 to 710 and the acceleration one went from 100 to 65. So across the board everyone should be less of a grind.

Nori Chan

About an hour ago, might need to kill the app and go back in for it. It's about 90mb.

Also looks like they tweaked progression. I have goliath's fire thing finished for elite and I was nowhere near it, same with rock throw(though I can't seem to check the value now). I'm on stage 3 with caira and her heal nades changed from 900 to 710 and the acceleration one went from 100 to 65. So across the board everyone should be less of a grind.

They definitely did, I just got Val elite skin lol

-Deimos

I only needed a few more revives with Laz, hopefully I got his skin now. I already finished Caira's grind a couple days ago.

edit: oh xb1 only

Bru

Managed to unlock the elite skin for Bucket last night. Was also pleasantly surprised to find I was one of the top 150 robot butlers in the world. Had no idea!

Still loving this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I only needed a few more revives with Laz, hopefully I got his skin now. I already finished Caira's grind a couple days ago.

edit: oh xb1 only

They might just be waiting for the other systems for the balance patch. The XB1 kinda needed this ASAP for the progress and shadow glitch which were terrible.

but yeah it looks like everyone dropped across the board. I don't see a way to view the completed ones though, so I can't see how drastic it changed for Laz/Goliath which took awhile.

Bought this game for Xbox One today. Looking forward to playing it over the weekend. Add me on Xbox Live: Zombie Lyle. If anyone is looking a game.

Jito

Banned
Well I fell in love with the Kraken yesterday, it's like a stealth attack chopper! Just hiding in the bushes getting to stage 2 then BAM raining death down on the hunters. Makes me appreciate the map design a lot more now that I can just fly everywhere.

Did Microsoft pay them to keep quiet about PS4 patches? wtf

'keep quiet' would imply there was a PS4 patch alongside the XBONE patch, and they werent talking about it. PS4/PC just aren't getting one yet. I guess the rest of us plebs whose platform isn't lining 2K's pockets will get our patch "whenever".

Top Bottom