• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Skyzard

Banned
I'm still really enjoying it but only in a party.

Evolve steam stats
current -6,711 peak- 7,020

Seems to be doing really bad in terms of drop off. I kinda think it's because a lot more people want to play as hunter than as monster. And if you play alone you have to keep trying to get a spot, which takes too long.

It's a great game in a group. Especially with someone who wants to play as monster.

I watched the archive of the friday balance playtesting stream and it looked pretty good mostly but I don't see how it's going to help pull in people to play monster. I can't wait for Behemoth (especially since it's free with my pre-order) but I really think they need more carrots to play as monster.

I liked how they also mentioned Val's survivability, especially without Hank. That increased tranq duration might make getting away for the monster really hard though.

I'm working my way through Laz's 1 star challenges atm, the cloak/revive one is tough. I'm just using offline matches and letting my teammates die on purpose but it seems like it would be a difficult one to progress during regular play.

Skyzard

Banned
Apparently with the next patch disconnects will count as losses...

They really ought to implement a way to choose what you want to only play then, or be better at not giving you your last choice so often.

Klyka

Banned
Disconnects only count as losses if you disconnect in the actual game that you have been in from the lobby forward.
Meaning that if you leave in the lobby = no loss and if you join a game in progress = no loss

-Deimos

Disconnects only count as losses if you disconnect in the actual game that you have been in from the lobby forward.
Meaning that if you leave in the lobby = no loss and if you join a game in progress = no loss

Much less disappointing. Where did you get this info from?

Skyzard

Banned

Ah, that's not bad, good for improving leaderboards.

Bizazedo

Had a fun game yesterday. We were working on a few masteries in our 4-man when a human joins halfway and assumes control of the AI Kraken. Game teleported the Kraken away (this is normal), but it was one of those pain in the ass humans who sneaks everywhere.

Our trapper had been lazy and not tagging animals as Abe due to it just being the A.I. previously, so that was bad news. We couldn't find him and eventually lost to a level 3 Kraken (he was level 2 already when the human joined).

That pissed us off and, luckily, the human stayed, so we made a point to all switch to our Masteried mains (Caira, Cabot, Markov, Griffin). ALMOST killed him as a level 1 Kraken (he was fleeing, needed two railgun shots through a wall, Cabot only got one). He managed to slip away, sneaking of course, so we had to separate solo and basically make lanes and go from the top of the map down. Located him again and finally got him before he could get to level 3 (not that we were worried, he was so damaged even if he got to 3 we felt confident).

I can't stand monsters who sneak 24/7. It drags things out so much. They need to make "Monster Attracted Birds!" more often when they sneak a certain amount.

It's always annoying when game devs forget about this and never have it in from the beginning of the game. And it happens all...the time.

andycapps

Personally I wish that the matchmaking had an option to tick a box if you are okay to join a game in progress or if you prefer to join a lobby. So many games I come into it's a character I don't want to play and the team is already down a couple people so people quit out.

RazorK1d

Had a fun game yesterday. We were working on a few masteries in our 4-man when a human joins halfway and assumes control of the AI Kraken. Game teleported the Kraken away (this is normal), but it was one of those pain in the ass humans who sneaks everywhere.

Our trapper had been lazy and not tagging animals as Abe due to it just being the A.I. previously, so that was bad news. We couldn't find him and eventually lost to a level 3 Kraken (he was level 2 already when the human joined).

That pissed us off and, luckily, the human stayed, so we made a point to all switch to our Masteried mains (Caira, Cabot, Markov, Griffin). ALMOST killed him as a level 1 Kraken (he was fleeing, needed two railgun shots through a wall, Cabot only got one). He managed to slip away, sneaking of course, so we had to separate solo and basically make lanes and go from the top of the map down. Located him again and finally got him before he could get to level 3 (not that we were worried, he was so damaged even if he got to 3 we felt confident).

I can't stand monsters who sneak 24/7. It drags things out so much. They need to make "Monster Attracted Birds!" more often when they sneak

I would argue that this player was a good monster. The whole objective of the monster is to engage the hunters on its terms only and not theirs. To go blundering across the map will only guarantee a swift take down without the need to even employ good tactics by the hunters. I've discovered that people who hate tracking a stealthy monster (including myself) often just need to develop new tracking strategies with their team. The tools are there and if you refuse to get creative and use them then you are doomed to always fight a level 3 monster.

Bizazedo

I would argue that this player was a good monster. The whole objective of the monster is to engage the hunters on its terms only and not theirs. To go blundering across the map will only guarantee a swift take down without the need to even employ good tactics by the hunters. I've discovered that people who hate tracking a stealthy monster (including myself) often just need to develop new tracking strategies with their team. The tools are there and if you refuse to get creative and use them then you are doomed to always fight a level 3 monster.

Objectively, I agree. Believe me, I know how effective it can be.

I mean, you're right. We knew he was a sneak so we adapted and we won. The downside of sneaking is slow movement, so you're not eating as rapidly, with the upside of additional (potential) safety + pissing off the hunters / bigger advantage against non premade teams.

It's just not as fun for the hunters.

More fun playing a non sneaky monster, too. Have to do it sometimes for a little breathing room but for the most part I prefer stomping around like I own the damn place.

Works fine against 90% of teams but if the hunters have their act together it spells trouble.

andycapps

True, if you have Maggie and Daisy then a sneaking monster doesn't help that much. Best option is speed as the monster.

Bizazedo

True, if you have Maggie and Daisy then a sneaking monster doesn't help that much. Best option is speed as the monster.

Nobody uses Maggie :(. I am even switching to Trapper soon, to switch it up for our premade, and I am aiming to get to Griff as fast as possible.

andycapps

Nobody uses Maggie :(. I am even switching to Trapper soon, to switch it up for our premade, and I am aiming to get to Griff as fast as possible.

But Maggie is the best trapper unless you are religious about throwing stasis grenades and putting out tracking darts with Abe.

RazorK1d

Objectively, I agree. Believe me, I know how effective it can be.

I mean, you're right. We knew he was a sneak so we adapted and we won. The downside of sneaking is slow movement, so you're not eating as rapidly, with the upside of additional (potential) safety + pissing off the hunters / bigger advantage against non premade teams.

It's just not as fun for the hunters.

Ah, understood. I think another way to break up the monotony and frustration of losing or drawn out hunt matches is to remember to switch up roles. I play on pc with my friends every Sunday for game night and last night we ran into a situation where we were constantly getting thrashed by a Kraken player and our medic was getting frustrated. I suggested we swap roles and he became the trapper. Although we still got beat, the experience still felt fresh because you have all new objectives and roles to carry out. Obviously this works better in pre-mades and it doesn't shorten the matches of the kind we are discussing, but it gives you different focuses. I think a lot of people forget that they don't have to stick just one hunter or monster even.

Bizazedo

But Maggie is the best trapper unless you are religious about throwing stasis grenades and putting out tracking darts with Abe.

I prefer (good) Griffs in general and (good) Abe's against Wraith. Sound spikes can cut the maps in half if they get away and the stasis grenade is amazing versus Wraith. Griff's harpoon is damned good versus Goliath and Kraken, as well, but .... it requires a good player using Griff.

Going to be even nicer when his sound spikes get buffed next patch.

I suggested we swap roles and he became the trapper. Although we still got beat, the experience still felt fresh because you have all new objectives and roles to carry out.

Yeah, our premades swaps are coming up soon. Trapper or Support, here I come, now that Caira is "done".

CzarTim

I've all but stopped playing this due to matchmaking and balance woes. Maybe a couple of matches every few days. Game is like Destiny for me in terms of me having an utter blast with it during the alpha and beta only to find the actual game more frustrating than fun. When I'm in a match with a character I enjoy playing, it's a blast, but there's too much bullshit getting to that point for it to be worth it.

Also, I've noticed an epidemic of trappers who pick Griffen and then don't throw down a single sound spike all game. If you're lucky, they'll throw one down during a fight, but even that's rare. No fucking clue why those people are playing this game if they have no interest in actually playing right.

deoee

I've all but stopped playing this due to matchmaking and balance woes. Maybe a couple of matches every few days. Game is like Destiny for me in terms of me having an utter blast with it during the alpha and beta only to find the actual game more frustrating than fun. When I'm in a match with a character I enjoy playing, it's a blast, but there's too much bullshit getting to that point for it to be worth it.

Also, I've noticed an epidemic of trappers who pick Griffen and then don't throw down a single sound spike all game. If you're lucky, they'll throw one down during a fight, but even that's rare. No fucking clue why those people are playing this game if they have no interest in actually playing right.

Yeah, bad trappers ruin the game :|

Korosenai

My friend who got elite status with two characters and then got his ranks reset contacted 2k about what happened. To make up for it, they are going to boost his character to level 30 and make every one of his tier 1 and tier 2 characters have elite status.

minx

My friend who got elite status with two characters and then got his ranks reset contacted 2k about what happened. To make up for it, they are going to boost his character to level 30 and make every one of his tier 1 and tier 2 characters have elite status.

Funny how I have had about 10 emails back and for with 2K customer service about my rank resetting yet they never offered me any elite characters, only to boost my rank... Which is at level 40 already. We will see if they offer my with Elite characters after another dissatisfied email.

Jito

Banned
Had an absolute nightmare getting a game with one other friend the other day. Took us 20 minutes just to get one game. Hunters seriously need this patch on PS4, it's far too easy for Monsters to wreck Val teams.

andycapps

Had an absolute nightmare getting a game with one other friend the other day. Took us 20 minutes just to get one game. Hunters seriously need this patch on PS4, it's far too easy for Monsters to wreck Val teams.

I agree, Val is pretty underpowered. It takes too long to heal people and that green beam back to her is just a magnet for the monster.

Where are the patch notes for the next release that's supposed to be coming out soon with tweaks to Cabot, Val, etc?

I can't stand monsters who sneak 24/7. It drags things out so much. They need to make "Monster Attracted Birds!" more often when they sneak a certain amount.

It already comes up way too often. I love when a hunter team doesn't use Maggie, because then I can play stealth. But it's pointless when it seems like every other kill you get attracts birds.

If they were to ever make it harder for monsters to sneak then they should also punish hunters who split up somehow. With a premade squad of hunters you're already at a ginormous advantage over any monster.

Is it possible to destroy Abe's stasis grenades at all? They only bother me on Defend. I only use Goliath, and they just destroy his movement. The effect lasts way too long, he can spam them infinitely into tight areas, and they also make the minions irrelevant. I am wondering if I hurl a rock at them, if they blow up? Not that it matters, he can just spam more.

I wish the Defend levels had branching paths with multiple entrances, especially the last two sections. Those are where he can really just fuck you over and you can't do a thing about it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it possible to destroy Abe's stasis grenades at all? They only bother me on Defend. I only use Goliath, and they just destroy his movement. The effect lasts way too long, he can spam them infinitely into tight areas, and they also make the minions irrelevant. I am wondering if I hurl a rock at them, if they blow up? Not that it matters, he can just spam more.

I wish the Defend levels had branching paths with multiple entrances, especially the last two sections. Those are where he can really just fuck you over and you can't do a thing about it.

I don't believe so, no. But yeah, Abe is EASILY the beat trapper for defend if only for the potential minion lockdown.

Klyka

Banned
This happen to me.Is a fun game but with only a few maps and gamemodes becomes very repetitive.I'm not playing evolve right now until they release a new monster/maps/game modes.This game needs more maps or game modes now.

The game has 16 maps, 12 of which you see in hunt.
Game modes, yeah maybe, but maps?

Bizazedo

The game has 16 maps, 12 of which you see in hunt.
Game modes, yeah maybe, but maps?

I love Evolve.

But, in his defense, the maps are very .... samey. Aviary is different due to the drop in, etc., but.....I can think of 3-4 main variations in my head and that's about it.

Klyka

Banned
I love Evolve.

But, in his defense, the maps are very .... samey. Aviary is different due to the drop in, etc., but.....I can think of 3-4 main variations in my head and that's about it.

The maps may be samey in looks but they are completely different in how they are set up and play.
As a pretty dedicated trapper player I can tell you there are massive differences in how you need to approach each map depending on which monster you face.

vazel

Banned
Damn.. http://i.imgur.com/96qnU7x.png

This is a cool game, looks like it's destined to be a niche thing. I just hope it doesn't become too hard to find games.
I think this game is going to end up like NS2 in that only the most hardcore players will remain dedicated to the game. Everyone else gets bored with the lack of easy satisfaction and goes back to playing the latest AAA cinematic game.
This happen to me.Is a fun game but with only a few maps and gamemodes becomes very repetitive.I'm not playing evolve right now until they release a new monster/maps/game modes.This game needs more maps or game modes now.
Are you going to tell me you mastered the game already? I think there's a lot to the metagame for Evolve concerning the different hunter comps and how best to approach the maps.

Top Bottom