• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Tabasco

I'm sick of not being able to play 50% of this game, the monster.

I lose every match and it's like some forbidden secret to learn how to play better.

There aren't any tutorials that help me. I'm also a pretty bad tank from L4D2.

It's just incredibly frustrating and it almost makes me want to quit playing the game.

I lose every match and it's like some forbidden secret to learn how to play better.

It's just incredibly frustrating and it almost makes me want to quit playing the game.
My only advice is stealth pretty much all the time, at least until you're Stage 2+, and when you do get into conflict always go for support or medic. Teams don't last very long if those two are down.

I share your pain, while it is one thing to know what to do in theory, the gameplay is so dynamic (Which is what makes this so tense and fun) that you are not always able to do what you should.

You can try watching Twitch players and seeing how they do it. Also it is good to sneak but be warned that if the trapper is Maggie then the pet, Daisy can smell you regardless.

vazel

Banned

Use this site to learn the best routes to take as monster. What I do is I follow the routes in that guide to get to stage 2, then I get into an engagement with the hunters to get incap strikes on medic and support, then I run away and evolve to stage 3.

Here are some good Evolve players that give advice on their stream.
twitch.tv/sacriel
twitch.tv/maniacsquirell
twitch.tv/giantchiprel
My only advice is stealth pretty much all the time, at least until you're Stage 2+, and when you do get into conflict always go for support or medic. Teams don't last very long if those two are down.
Mobility is one of the monster's greatest assets, stealth works against that by slowing you down. You want as much distance as you can from the hunters so you can feed and evolve in peace. You should only stealth when the hunters are cutting you off and you're not ready for an engagement.

Use this site to learn the best routes to take as monster. What I do is I follow the routes in that guide to get to stage 2, then I get into an engagement with the hunters to get incap strikes on medic and support, then I run away and evolve to stage 3.

Here are some good Evolve players that give advice on their stream.
twitch.tv/sacriel
twitch.tv/maniacsquirell
twitch.tv/giantchiprel

Mobility is one of the monster's greatest assets, stealth works against that by slowing you down. You want as much distance as you can from the hunters so you can feed and evolve in peace. You should only stealth when the hunters are cutting you off and you're not ready for an engagement.
I use the mobility to get away at the beginning then carefully stealth my way to 2+. It usually works, even if the trapper is Maggie. When they get too close, run away, then go stealth and change directions.

blakep267

I have to echo the sentiment of the guy above. Every online match I play is always the monster because everybody is in a prty and Im usually a solo player( I use a headset though).

And its the same every match. I may get to level 2 but then Im found and I get harpooned non stop and tranq'd.

Also whats up with Level matchmaking. Im only level 7 isn and everybody I match up with are in the 30's

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I think this game is going to end up like NS2 in that only the most hardcore players will remain dedicated to the game. Everyone else gets bored with the lack of easy satisfaction and goes back to playing the latest AAA cinematic game.
Are you going to tell me you mastered the game already? I think there's a lot to the metagame for Evolve concerning the different hunter comps and how best to approach the maps.

I'm level 40,i don't like to be the monster,my favourite character bucket and hank in elite...so i don't have to do much more.

Klyka

Banned
I don't even unlock stuff. Like,I don't play for that, I just play the game and try to kill the monsters/kill the hunters. unlocking stuff is totally sidestuff to me that just kinda happens.

The game is still really fun for me, especially in proper groups, but man do I hate it when one guy can't pull his weight

I think this game is going to end up like NS2 in that only the most hardcore players will remain dedicated to the game. Everyone else gets bored with the lack of easy satisfaction and goes back to playing the latest AAA cinematic game.
Are you going to tell me you mastered the game already? I think there's a lot to the metagame for Evolve concerning the different hunter comps and how best to approach the maps.

without good team mates who communicate this game is frustrating to play...that being said if you have a few friends that own the game its awesome!

andycapps

I don't even unlock stuff. Like,I don't play for that, I just play the game and try to kill the monsters/kill the hunters. unlocking stuff is totally sidestuff to me that just kinda happens.

The game is still really fun for me, especially in proper groups, but man do I hate it when one guy can't pull his weight

Ditto, had a trapper last night that wouldn't drop the dome, would just try to shoot the monster from close range or harpoon them.

Klyka

Banned
Well, seems everyone who plays over the weekend gets the special golden developer skins!

evolvegame.com/news/join-turtle-rock-studios-play-evolve-hunt-for-gold

It's been extremely difficult to get into full matches the past couple of nights (7-10pm EST). I'm hoping this isn't a sign that the game is starting to die off. Stats on Steam are disconcerting (only ~3500 players on at any given time), but hopefully things turn around.

Edit:
Well, seems everyone who plays over the weekend gets the special golden developer skins!

Awesome! This should make it easy to find games this weekend :).

Wow. I remember them making a big deal about those skins on the balance patch stream.

Edit: pretty cool that they're going to be doing these kinds of events regularly, though. Apparently the next one is a St Patties Trapper challenge?

phoenixyz

It's been extremely difficult to get into full matches the past couple of nights (7-10pm EST). I'm hoping this isn't a sign that the game is starting to die off. Stats on Steam are disconcerting (only ~3500 players on at any given time), but hopefully things turn around.

Most people are probably frustrated because the game (especially matchmaking) is buggy as hell and over 3 weeks after release there's still no patch.

Jito

Banned
Who would use the gold monster skin anyway? You'll stick out like a sore thumb!

And yeh this patch is taking way too long to come out, bet loads of new players are put off by teams healed by Val failing constantly. Mind blowing how they didn't see she heals way too slow in house, in Alpha or in Beta.

Who would use the gold monster skin anyway? You'll stick out like a sore thumb!

And yeh this patch is taking way too long to come out, bet loads of new players are put off by teams healed by Val failing constantly. Mind blowing how they didn't see she heals way too slow in house, in Alpha or in Beta.

Val really is bad. Her weapon is useless too, compared to Lazarus.

I hope the patch helps to fix Daisy being completely useless half the time too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gold skin event is pretty damn cool.

Turtle rock is way to slow at implementing changes.

RIP community you barely had a life.

It sounded like they're trying to add some kind of hook into the patch so they can more frequently make changes without going through certification. I do agree that it's taking way longer than I expected for the first tweaks, it's almost been a month since launch already.

-Deimos

I hope the patch helps to fix Daisy being completely useless half the time too.
Daisy is a great tool to find the monster. The problem is probably that you follow her 24/7 instead of using her as a compass and figuring out where the monster is based on the direction she's running.

You should be ahead of Daisy for most of the game, not the other way around.

Cimarron

Liked this game so much I double dipped on xbone and PC. But the population on both platforms seems to have dropped like a stone! 😠

Papercuts

Daisy is a great tool to find the monster. The problem is probably that you follow her 24/7 instead of using her as a compass and figuring out where the monster is based on the direction she's running.

You should be ahead of Daisy for most of the game, not the other way around.

I wonder how much getting the initial Daisy star gave people that mindset.

Playing Abe made me a waaaay better trapper. Even when I'm a class like Assault, I notice how much it improved my general movement and fuel management.

-Deimos

I wonder how much getting the initial Daisy star gave people that mindset.

Playing Abe made me a waaaay better trapper. Even when I'm a class like Assault, I notice how much it improved my general movement and fuel management.
Yeah that follow Daisy star was poorly thought out.

andycapps

Yeah I totally agree, the rifle needs to reload faster. It's useless, and her medic gun heals way too slow. I could see someone picking Val if the tradeoff between doing low damage was balanced by her being able to heal people quickly, but as is, she can't do much damage and can't heal quickly at all. The green "current" from her to who she's healing is just a big target for the monster.

Klyka

Banned
Are you hoping to get the patch out before the weekend event?

MacMan
We pushed really, really hard for it, but it's not going to be fully tested in time (and we don't want to release it without fully testing since we could introduce more bugs than we fix!) If testing goes well, it could be released before the following weekend. I'll try to keep everyone updated.
I think we are looking at next weekend at the earliest (not this weekend) for the PC patch - that's if testing goes well. If too many issues are found in the patch, we'll have to make another build and re-test so it really depends on how the testing goes.

Well, hopefully next week!

Klyka

Banned
Thanks for the rounds again earlier guys

Sorry if I seemed a bit grumpy, was just tired.
Hope you are up for more tomorrow, I got the day off :D

minx

Yeah they need to push this patch out asap because players are tired of playing mostly because of the Wraith.

vazel

Banned
Yeah they need to push this patch out asap because players are tired of playing mostly because of the Wraith.
Just as big an issue is the lack of skill-based matchmaking. Me and a friend wasted our time today playing pubs with random retards. All it takes is one guy to make the entire experience feel very annoying and boring especially when that one guy is the trapper.

Gator86

I've basically quit playing until the patch arrives. Wraith games are definitely a waste of time to play but I'm also ready for the rebalanced Val and other tweaks. The game's starting to feel pretty stale at this point for me.

minx

I've basically quit playing until the patch arrives. Wraith games are definitely a waste of time to play but I'm also ready for the rebalanced Val and other tweaks. The game's starting to feel pretty stale at this point for me.

I have taken a break as well until patch, new monster, modes, etc. They have also announced ranked matches will be coming sometime which will be welcome.

Papercuts

If you play starting now until the end of the weekend you'll get the gold skin for each monster, so might as well grab that.

I'm curious to see it in person as the Elite skin is super visible once you get armor, you glow like a damn christmas tree.

I forgot how sweet the rage in post-game lobbies was on PC. It's really funny how quick people are to blame each other when, in my (Monster) opinion, everyone contributed to their loss in their own way.

Jito

Banned
Eugh getting so tired of playing with shit team mates even at the high levels now, it actually seems to be getting worse. Whole teams not following me as a Trapper whilst telling them I'm on the monster, medics jumping right into combat then dying instantly, no one having headsets or using the POI mark button. It's like these people haven't actually played the game to level 30 and just picked it up today.

Edit: Team mates ignoring easy buff kills and then the buff once it was available? What the fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

minx

Eugh getting so tired of playing with shit team mates even at the high levels now, it actually seems to be getting worse. Whole teams not following me as a Trapper whilst telling them I'm on the monster, medics jumping right into combat then dying instantly, no one having headsets or using the POI mark button. It's like these people haven't actually played the game to level 30 and just picked it up today.

Edit: Team mates ignoring easy buff kills and then the buff once it was available? What the fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Had a level 20 something Laz reviving without using his device giving us all strikes. We all quit after that.

I think I'll make a thread about the gold skin event.
It seems to be noteworthy and might draw attention from people who've stopped frequenting this thread cause it is kinda slow now.

Klyka

Banned
I think I'll make a thread about the gold skin event.
It seems to be noteworthy and might draw attention from people who've stopped frequenting this thread cause it is kinda slow now.

Oh god, that's gonna get so many people to shit on the game again :(

"DLC THE GAME"
"OH LOOK THEIR GAME IS DYING SO THEY HAVE TO DO THIS!"
"I STOPPED PLAYING CAUSE NO PATCHES/NO CONTENT"

Been on the fence about this game...would really like to try it out. im a huge fan of L4D...but im just not sure about this one. How's the population on ps4?

Been on the fence about this game...would really like to try it out. im a huge fan of L4D...but im just not sure about this one. How's the population on ps4?

As someone who actually likes this game, liking L4D has basically nothing to do with it. It's a completely different experience. It's very competitive and very demanding if you're going to play as one of the hunters.

I wasn't having trouble finding games, but based on the leaderboards, it doesn't look like it sold well. I lost interest and traded it in. I did like the look of the game. Just too little content.

Top Bottom