• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Can I get GAF's opinion on this game, please? I offered to buy it, off craigs, for 25 bones (ps4). Is it worth 25$ of is haz no PSN buddies to play the game with. Will be a randoms kind of party. Thanks...

Been on the fence about this game...would really like to try it out. im a huge fan of L4D...but im just not sure about this one. How's the population on ps4?
The L4D vibes for me are akin to Versus modes high points as a zombie - isolating stragglers (Hunter/Goliath pounce), or setting up the perfect ambush on the survivors (trapping the Monster).
Since Versus mode was my jam for about 3 years straight, I love the gameplay in this. But I'd wait on a sale at this point. I'm willing to bet there will be a sale when the Behemoth is released in a month or so.

The L4D vibes for me are akin to Versus mode's high points as a zombie - isolating stragglers (Hunter/Goliath pounce), or setting up the perfect ambush on the survivors (trapping the Monster).
Since Versus mode was my jam for about 3 years straight, I love the gameplay in this. But I'd wait on a sale at this point. I'm willing to bet there will be a sale when the Behemoth is released in a month or so.

thank you for the input. L4D Versus was my main mode as well. I might hold just a little longer....but not long, dont want to arrive late.

Man, it's getting increasingly difficult for me to find a game on PS4, especially when im in a party with my friend. Is the community dropping that much?

Guesong

Matchmaking on PC is horrible.

I mostly play with another buddy and we are so often paired with nobody else. Then another player may come in, in the monster slot, and yeah...

If bots were competent it'd be more tolerable. But they suck so much. So so much. :(

patchday

Man, it's getting increasingly difficult for me to find a game on PS4, especially when im in a party with my friend. Is the community dropping that much?

I know I havent played since Dragonball xenoverse came out. I'll play it one of these days when I get a chance

Klyka

Banned
Matchmaking on PC is horrible.

I mostly play with another buddy and we are so often paired with nobody else. Then another player may come in, in the monster slot, and yeah...

If bots were competent it'd be more tolerable. But they suck so much. So so much. :(

Never had that problem, we always get matched and never wait long.

Is this skirmish or evac?

CozMick

Banned
Gold skins got me to come back this weekend.

No patch, No server side balance?, wraith is op and there ain't no-one playing.

Turtle Rock/2k have killed this franchise before it even began.

Guesong

Never had that problem, we always get matched and never wait long.

Is this skirmish or evac?

Mostly skirmish. Sometimes we go two round before anybody else even show up.

Happens much less frequently in evac, but eh. Sometimes all you want is a quick round.

Jito

Banned
Had a level 20 something Laz reviving without using his device giving us all strikes. We all quit after that.

Just had to explain reviving and resurrecting to a level 30 Laz who then precoded to continue reviving people and jump about right in front of the monster with the sniper out. I'm confused how these people are still playing at level 30 if that's how they play, they must lose every single match.

CzarTim

Yeah I can't believe they let Wrath stay so obviously OP for so long. The other balance changes could wait, but playing against the same monster each time is no fun.

Bru

Patch is out next weekend, finding players/full parties isn't a problem for me on Xbox One and Turtle Rock are working on a server side hook to make the balance and update turnaround a whole lot quicker.

Heh.

Wraith OP.

Heh.
You're still taking this stance after nearly everyone else (including the developers) agree? They're not nerfing her traversal and ability durations for shits and giggles. It's only a matter of time before they nerf decoy damage as well.

Klyka

Banned
You're still taking this stance after nearly everyone else (including the developers) agree? They're not nerfing her traversal and ability durations for shits and giggles. It's only a matter of time before they nerf decoy damage as well.

Nerfs are fine with me, I just always have to laugh when I see it everywhere.

CzarTim

Nerfs are fine with me, I just always have to laugh when I see it everywhere.

As I said in my post the worst part of having one of the monsters considered "better" by community is it's what people pick 90% of the time. The degree of which it's overpowered is irrelevant.

BurningNad

Man, it took me 10 minutes to get put into a game that wasn't already in progress on PC, and I still wasn't able to play as the monster. It really sucks.

I really wish 2K hadn't destroyed the hype of this game with all the bullshit DLC. I didn't care at first, but the majority of people apparently did, which is why such a fun game is going downhill fast.

Maybe I'll just play against bots. Least I know it'll be a fresh game instead of wasting time.

Ardenyal

The DLC bullshit drove potential customers away, now the woeful state of the game and lack of updates is driving the current player base away.

- No "tuner" updates
- Matchmaking that sucks booty juice
- Balance problems
- Lots of gameplay mechanics are completely client side and ripe for hacking on PC
- Leaderboard design that is not only just bad but also works to make the problems with matchmaking even worse

This game was not ready for release.

I'm interested in picking this game up finally.

Is it better to get it on PC or ps4?

Which has the better community? I'm just worried that the game is going to die out and it'll be hard to find good matches soon. I think PC will probably last longer but maybe the game is better suited to a casual console experience?

I guess going by some of the comments here I'm better off avoiding this one..

SMZC

The DLC bullshit drove potential customers away, now the woeful state of the game and lack of updates is driving the current player base away.

As someone who loves the game, I have to agree with this. Like others, I decided to stop playing until the patch comes around. I got so tired of always winning as the monster and always losing as the hunters. Not that the next patch will really change this state of affairs, but at least making some characters like Val more usable, and the Wraith less annoying to fight, will motivate me to check back on the game.

I borrowed it from the library today, and will try to play it if I can find the time in-between games I need to play.

I'm only mildly interested in it, but when I saw it, I figured I'd check it out for a week or two.

-Deimos

Just had to explain reviving and resurrecting to a level 30 Laz who then precoded to continue reviving people and jump about right in front of the monster with the sniper out. I'm confused how these people are still playing at level 30 if that's how they play, they must lose every single match.

None of the monsters are OP, people just don't know how to play the game. I met some really interesting people last night. And by interesting I mean how the hell did these people reach 30+ without knowing the basics of the game?

I feel like the fact that Val is the first experience with the Medic role turns a lot of people off it (speaking from experience :p I only kept playing to unlock the other characters, and found both Laz and Caira more satisfying - and now playing Medic is one of my favourite roles).

She's just not very satisfying to play as which as a shame, as her med-gun thing could be cool. The sniper rifle just takes way too long to reload, the heal-beam doesn't heal quick enough and that makes her not worth using.

Edit: also, despite being level 15, just had my first encounter with Wraith. Amazingly, despite them getting to L3 and our trapper not being great, we still managed to take it down. Was really fun.

Klyka

Banned
None of the monsters are OP, people just don't know how to play the game. I met some really interesting people last night. And by interesting I mean how the hell did these people reach 30+ without knowing the basics of the game?

Deimos da bro *fistbump*

HowZatOZ

Banned
And yet even the developers insist Wraith is broken?

The problem with Evolve is that the game is affected so heavily by a community meta that it makes the game feel like shit. Right now no one wants to play a variation because it is actually difficult, and for the most part public matchmaking results in terrible games where people either sick or the monster just wins.

Just got this for my birthday. I'm beyond excited....I was only able play two mediocre matches during the alpha on ps4....and I freaking loved it. I love the concept of this game so much. This will be a great mainstay to my current addictions of Monster Hubter and GTA Online.

I want to buy all the dlc I can for this. Is the season pass the best bet? The only thing I'm not too concerned about initially are skins, ( I'll eventually own all those too), but I want all extra maps and characters. Feel free to add me on psn, name is in my profile, but it's my Gaf name with no spaces :D just please mention Gaf. So excite!!!!!

None of the monsters are OP, people just don't know how to play the game.
Uh... did you even read the post you quoted? Again: devs confirmed it, nerfs incoming.
And yet you and this other dude are adamant that nothing is OP and giving each other pats on the backs.

Edit: "Nerfs are pretty mild"...
Dude, they changed her traversal speed by a huge degree and implemented the dome audio cue removal SOLELY due to her ability to quickly jump out before it goes down.

-Deimos

And yet even the developers insist Wraith is broken?

The problem with Evolve is that the game is affected so heavily by a community meta that it makes the game feel like shit. Right now no one wants to play a variation because it is actually difficult, and for the most part public matchmaking results in terrible games where people either suck or the monster just wins.
I didn't get that impression at all, if anything, they're doing it appease the overwhelming number of bad hunters. Even the nerfs to her are pretty mild. Wraith will still destroy pug teams after the patch, because she's not the problem, bad hunters are.

Mostly skirmish. Sometimes we go two round before anybody else even show up.

Happens much less frequently in evac, but eh. Sometimes all you want is a quick round.

Chiming in as another that hasn't had issues with matchmaking on PC, despite the low player counts. However I usually queue up solo, do you think your issues could be because you are queuing up as a two-man? Maybe the game is trying to find other parties rather than throw you into games with randoms and thats why it's having trouble placing you.

Took a couple days off and came back and man it's hard to get back into the trapper mindset after playing other shooters. Really feels bad when you know you are letting your whole team down by missing domes and making stupid mistakes like walking into wildlife, but I guess that's also part of the draw in that it's such an important role to play and makes it really intense.

As for Wraith, I really think that it was made based on higher level play, the OPness comes from using it vs uncoordinated random teams which is how the majority of people will play the game. It is insanely hard to catch and dome one when you don't have everyone fully communicating to box it in, especially with its 3x warp.

-Deimos

Uh... did you even read the post you quoted? Again: devs confirmed it, nerfs incoming.
And yet you and this other dude are adamant that nothing is OP and giving each other pats on the backs.

Edit: "Nerfs are pretty mild"...
Dude, they changed her traversal speed by a huge degree and implemented the dome audio cue removal SOLELY due to her ability to quickly jump out before it goes down.
Have you ever fought a Wraith in a dome that didn't want to fight? Good luck trying to catch it, even with the 25% speed reduction.

And you guys think the audio cue is such an important tool for the monster, it's not. In all the monster games I've played since the first alpha, I never used the dome call as my cue to retreat. As soon as I spotted trapper with smell, I was already getting ready to run. The audio cue is just a confirmation that the dome is coming down. You should already be running when you hear it.

The change will make a difference, but not as big as you think.

-Deimos

I'll give you guys a couple examples of the players I played with last night. There was a Parnell who didn't know Laz can pick up hunters without giving them a strike. How do you play the game long enough to unlock a 3rd-tier hunter without knowing Laz can do that? How??? He also didn't know that shooting the monster increases it's stamina regen.

But that was only one guy. I also decided to play as Wraith against a 35+ team. It was Parnell, Laz, Abe, and Cabot. Somehow at the end, I managed to fuck up hard and got caught in a stasis field with no stamina, all abilities on cooldown except Decoy, no armor at level 2, with all 4 hunters surrounding me on all 4 sides but far enough that I couldn't reach them without dashing. Remember that I was also stuck in the middle of a stasis field.

At this point, a competent hunter team would have won immediately or at least done a HUGE amount of damage, even if I popped Decoy. I decided to use Decoy just for the hell of it and accept the loss. Except for some insane reason, all 4 of them started shooting the decoy even though they clearly knew where I was and knew I was slowed by stasis. And they didn't shoot it a couple times, they continued to shoot at it until it disappeared. Even when I realized what was going on, I still thought I was going to lose since a spare bullet was bound to hit me and reveal that I was in the same spot, but no. They didn't hit me once and I managed to VERY slowly escape the stasis field without losing a single bar of health. I returned a few seconds later with armor and wiped them out.

These are the people who complain the Wraith is OP.

The wraith is OP and the devs agree. Spin it however you want but it's not like it even matters because the game will be a barren wasteland by the time changes are rolled out.

What about it? Atm it's just cosmetic.
What about the extra monster? I see other things in the shop. A few posts up I mentioned I just got the game, and want to get as much of the playable content, just looking for what works best. Like does te season pass come with the everything that's been released?

Well i rented it tonight and man, it was really impressive and a lot of fun.

Anyone still playing on PC? is there better teamwork there? PS4 seems pretty random.

nahlakhai

No problems queueing tonight as a party for PS4. Individual queue times are even quicker. Just like MOBAs or team based pvp games, the quality of the games can vary, but for the most part I'm still having a blast and people are getting better.

I really hope they have a sale that coincides with the t4 releases so that more people start playing. Its a fresh and addicting approach to pvp games.

CzarTim

I'll give you guys a couple examples of the players I played with last night. There was a Parnell who didn't know Laz can pick up hunters without giving them a strike. How do you play the game long enough to unlock a 3rd-tier hunter without knowing Laz can do that? How??? He also didn't know that shooting the monster increases it's stamina regen.
These are two completely different issues.

I agree that far too many Hunters don't know the game basics to an infuriating degree. Honestly, I blame the game for not explaining some of the mechanics properly / clearly. The number of people who don't understand Laz alone is proof of that.

Wrath being OP doesn't mean it has a 100% win rate or that a skilled team couldn't consistently take it down. It just means Wrath has an unfair advantage in an average game. As in it takes less skill for a Wrath player to win and/or it takes a higher skilled Hunter team to win.

These two scenarios can exist simultaneously. After Wrath is nerfed, uninformed players will still exist, it's just that Wrath will (hopefully) be in line with the other two monsters.

-Deimos

These are two completely different issues.

I agree that far too many Hunters don't know the game basics to an infuriating degree. Honestly, I blame the game for not explaining some of the mechanics properly / clearly. The number of people who don't understand Laz alone is proof of that.

Wrath being OP doesn't mean it has a 100% win rate or that a skilled team couldn't consistently take it down. It just means Wrath has an unfair advantage in an average game. As in it takes less skill for a Wrath player to win and/or it takes a higher skilled Hunter team to win.

These two scenarios can exist simultaneously. After Wrath is nerfed, uninformed players will still exist, it's just that Wrath will (hopefully) be in line with the other two monsters.

That example has nothing to do with Wraith, just hunters in general.

Top Bottom