• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eweek: Gizmondo is pocket Xbox, gamers to get forced advertising to devices

Chittagong

Gold Member

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1643781,00.asp

I had a fascinating insight into what could happen when chatting to the Tiger Telematics marketing people. Tiger is an offshoot of Gizmondo. And who, you ask, is Gizmondo? I'll tell you, because the last thing you will want to do is click on www.gizmondo.com which will almost certainly drive you nuts (yes, another self-indulgent Flash site, with sound yet. Sheesh).

It's a device that quite possibly will become a pocket version of the X-box, with wireless data. They are going to ship this device before the end of the year and will look uncannily like a cross between an X-box and a Nokia N-gage. But the interesting thing, says Gizmondo marketing boss Peter Lilley, is the way they're funding it—advertising, video clips, up to 30 seconds at a time. Users will buy them (he says) for a fraction of the cost of the device—if, and only if, they agree to receive three video clips a day.

:lol :lol :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It might not be a bad business model. I'd buy a powerful mobile device on the cheap if the downside was enduring some ads. I mean shit, I already ignore them in every other facet of my life.

aoi tsuki

Wasn't this announced at last year's E3? i wouldn't mind getting one (they'll be hacked soon enough), but i just don't have a use for one.

Edit: Must've been this year's E3. Also, specs from the official site:

GSM tri-band

GPRS Class 10

TFT screen ~ 240 x 320 pixels

WAP 2.0

MMS receive and send

MP3 playback

MIDI/WAV formats

SMS

SpeakerM

MPEG 4 video playback

JPEG camera

SD flash card reader

Mini-USB client

Bluetooth class 2 for multiplayer gaming

Temperature range 0°C to 55°C

3D games engine

Graphics accelerator

GPS tracking application

GPS mapping application

Removable SIM card

Removable battery

Polyphonic ring tones

Stereo headset socket for MP3 and games

Windows Media Player 9

Flight Mode

Looking again at the featureset, might be something worth owning to toy with, if the price is right. It's somewhere between a Pocket PC and an MS Smartphone, minus the touch screen.

Top Bottom