• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excalibur: a NeoGAF Pathfinder Play by Post Campaign

As adjustments are made to the mechanical innards of the lock, it soon becomes apparent that there are extra triggers inside that prevent a routine unlocking that would work for any other door, on top of the lock itself being well designed.

Whoever designed this door wants absolute confidence nobody gets in.

<You'll have to make a hard roll, as there is a penalty for failure for this lock. You may also make perception checks for this door.>

As Draco goes to work, Leo continues to stand back and be useless, looking upon the steely visage of the door.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=63615]Perception: 1D20 + 4 = [6]+4 = 10
[/url]
"Yup, this is a door all right."

((That makes a lot more sense. I thought it was just a general directive for the party to see if they spotted something we all missed on the door itself.))

Once he inspects the door more closely, Draco comes to understand the lock a bit more closely. It is a well made lock for a secure facility, not like the ones in the sewers or at the prison which nobody would have the means to pick the locks other than guards. In addition, there are extra mechanisms installed to trigger should any tampering happen: a trap.

He doesn't know what effect the trap will have, but he can judge that if it is just the lock, it will be small.

Oh, and the hinges are trapped too. Had Tiberius succeeded in breaking the door off with the trigger still active, it would have broken the pipes inside the hinges and released a non-solid substance.

A stream of acid fills the inside of the lock, melting both the lock and Draco's lockpick into uselessness, while leaving him unharmed.

Now the door is permanently locked with no way to unlock it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Niko winces as fumes of smoke rise up from the door, the smell of melting steel giving off an unpleasant scent. "This is definitely an Orphan hideout. At least we know that much." Scratching the unkempt beard beginning to form on his face and neck, the sorcerer ponders their options. "We could scout around for a different entrance, or try and lay in wait for whomever to return and discover our handiwork here."

Relieved to have someone else taking on the burden of the door, Leo chimes in to agree with Niko.

"That could work! I can stay around the door here with a few others, and whoever wants to scout can do that."

<Just go as a group like you normally would, except I do recommend taking orders from Dreadstone instead of doing stuff that potentially jeporadizes the party.>

Mike M

Nick N
Dreadstone scowls dourly as the attempt to open the door renders it unusable.

"If we split up, that just makes us twice as easy to beat," he says, shooting down Stricia's suggestion. "C'mon, let's get a move on and find another way in. We ain't lucky enough to have just locked them inside with no hope of escape."

"Oh, well that makes sense. I guess there has to be another entrance or exit somewhere."

Leo follows along with the group, trying to stay in the middle in order to avoid more mishaps with the entire island spotting him.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"Whichever way looks like it might have some more cover. Now that we know a door is here, it's likely the inhabitants aren't far off." Ozzy twitches nervously and Niko shakes his head. "Well actually a mountain isn't the best place to try and hide. I guess we should just pick a direction so we aren't standing around too long in the open."

Mike M

Nick N
((Dreadstone would suggest going around the east side because something something we can hide in shadows as the sun sets in the west something something. Can we go east?))

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((I don't usually bother since Niko's wisdom is so low, but he got an 11. Which validates my decision to not bother.))

Niko walks alongside Tiberius, continuing to think about the mysterious nature of the Owlbears. The sorcerer remarks on the gladiator cluching his stomach painfully. "At least you aren't going to turn into an Owlbear, Leo. Though I guess that's more of a Werewolf thing..." He makes a cursory glance around but doesn't pay much attention to his surroundings, preferring to daydream about what other kinds of hybrid creature they might encounter on the island.

Coming around where the rocky wall curves at a sharp angle away from their view, the more perceptive will notice something odd.. a thin lined crack against a soft layer of dirt.

Finding conversation with Niko more interesting than the nature around him, Leo jumps into owlbear and wolf theorizing.

"That makes me wonder. Everyone knows you become a werewolf if one bites you, but does biting a werewolf make you a werewolf? I don't want to test that, but now I'm going to be wondering for a while. Hopefully the owlbear doesn't do anything besides rough up my stomach. They're already evil enough without having some kind of super disease in their very essence."

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"Looks like we found the side entrance. This must be where they get deliveries of Owlbear pizza."

"I wonder if pizzafied owlbear still pulses with a hatred for human flesh. Maybe I'd be fine right now if I took the time to make a pizza out of it."
"Wait, what's a pizza?"

Fortunately, it seems that they weren't able to install a non-solid trap in the hinges, but it is unknown whether the lock is trapped or not without putting something in it.

He doesn't succeed, but he'll realize that the lock has no trap either, allowing him ample opportunity to break in given enough time.

<You can take 20 on this lock.>

Top Bottom