• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Official Thread

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
FEAR 1 was like 65% shooting, 35% ooh teh scaries.

This is like 95% shooting and 5% ooh teh scaries.

The change is very much for the better. Non stop chaotic awesome. The game is far too easy though, playing on Hard feels like playing other shooters on easy.

Proc

elguerosinfe said:
Still loving this game. it might not bring anything brand new to the table, but the atmosphere, pacing and graphics are all great. Just made it through Level 3 and there was a moment when I had to turn the lights back on just to recover for a bit...

Completely agree. If you guys have the chance to play with headphones and on PC, it's a great experience. I hope this doesn't get overlooked.

The game is far too easy though, playing on Hard feels like playing other shooters on easy

I would have to agree, especially when playing on pc (its so easy to boom headshot lol). I'm playing on normal and sort of regret not bumping it up. This will definitely let me see it all through to the end though, which is always a plus. Do you know if other difficulties unlock after you finish it?

Nikorasu

People who say they beat it in 6 hours must be either lying or blew through it REALLY fast. I've been at it for 6 hours and I'm only at the subway. It doesn't seem short at all.

Also the level of detail in this game is amazing. Countless in-jokes, posters and other little things everywhere. If you rush you are missing out. The atmosphere as soon as you enter the subway is amazing. You can literally SEE how still the air is in that tunnel by the hanging particles barely moving.

People complaining about shadows..the lighting is literally the same as fear. There is just as many dynamic lights and a lot of places where there were no shadows in the first game too. Both games use a combination of lightmaps and stencil shadows. The lighting tech may not have evolved from fear but that doesn't stop it from being absolutely gorgeous. There are some areas that are absolutely jaw-dropping.

Feindflug

Nikorasu said:
People who say they beat it in 6 hours must be either lying or blew through it REALLY fast. I've been at it for 6 hours and I'm only at the subway. It doesn't seem short at all.

Also the level of detail in this game is amazing. Countless in-jokes, posters and other little things everywhere. If you rush you are missing out. The atmosphere as soon as you enter the subway is amazing. You can literally SEE how still the air is in that tunnel by the hanging particles barely moving.

People complaining about shadows..the lighting is literally the same as fear. There is just as many dynamic lights and a lot of places where there were no shadows in the first game too. Both games use a combination of lightmaps and stencil shadows. The lighting tech may not have evolved from fear but that doesn't stop it from being absolutely gorgeous. There are some areas that are absolutely jaw-dropping.

Game sounds awesome, can't wait to play the game tonight (I'm getting FEAR 2 & Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box today)...from what I've read I think I'll start the game on Hard though - with an enemy AI this good I'm always up for a challenge.

More impressions later tonight. :D

the first mech level is so amazing that i wish they'd make a game with more of a mech focus. awesome turret level later on also...

i must be in the minority - playing on regular; have probably died 30 times. am at the subway

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Zzoram said:
FEAR1 on PC was a great game, and the multiplayer was a blast. I hope FEAR2 has a decent online community.
I had fun with the MP today. We played Armored Front, and it was fun. I remember being able to use slow mo in MP and I wasnt able this time...

Alias03

godhandiscen said:
I had fun with the MP today. We played Armored Front, and it was fun. I remember being able to use slow mo in MP and I wasnt able this time...

Monolith took it out of MP

Nikorasu

Finished. Honestly don't know if I'm turned on or repulsed. :lol

Anyway, great game. Not short at all, it seems to be on par with the original (maybe a teeny bit shorter) but definitely a solid length for a shooter. I wouldn't necessarily say it was too easy either. I've finished the original several times on the highest difficulty and there were a few times when these guys really caught me off guard.

poor Stokes D:

godhandiscen

OMFG. EPIC GAME!

I just finished Interval 01 and I loved it. I played it at 3:00 AM in the middle of the dark with no light but my monitor. Such a fucking epic experience. If you play this game with the lights turned on or with a crappy audio setup then you are not experiencing the game the way it is meant to be. This isn't also the kind of game you want to play away from the TV. A monitor close to you taking all of your field of view gives you definitely way more scares. I loved FEAR 1 and this is what I was hoping FEAR 2 would be. Such a great game. Dammit, I am so excited I am ussually let down by sequels, but not this time. Thank you Monolith.

Good combat+Good environment destruction+awesome atmosphere.

Also, the first interval took me 40 minutes. If you are going really fast through the game you are most likely not exploring or getting scared at all. It is fine, I was actually afraid the whole time.

When I fell into the pool,
I was shitting my pants.

Ricker

godhandiscen said:
OMFG. EPIC GAME!

I just finished Interval 01 and I loved it. I played it at 3:00 AM in the middle of the dark with no light but my monitor. Such a fucking epic experience. If you play this game with the lights turned on or with a crappy audio setup then you are not experiencing the game the way it is meant to be. This isn't also the kind of game you want to play away from the TV. A monitor close to you taking all of your field of view gives you definitely way more scares. I loved FEAR 1 and this is what I was hoping FEAR 2 would be. Such a great game. Dammit, I am so excited I am ussually let down by sequels, but not this time. Thank you Monolith.

Good combat+Good environment destruction+awesome atmosphere.

Also, the first interval took me 40 minutes. If you are going really fast through the game you are most likely not exploring or getting scared at all. It is fine, I was actually afraid the whole time.

When I fell into the pool,
I was shitting my pants.

Yep on a few occasions,exploring made me find a air dock that was nothing but a dead end with an Intel file and a Medkit but on the way back out something else happened that a lot of people who rush through it will miss....if you see a door on the far right and one on the far left,if the one you pick has ennemies and seem to lead further,come back and try the other door also,usually there's some armor or a file or a medkit in there...I think the game is awesome so far and i'm not even at a Mech part yet(getting close to one though I think since i'm finally in the first outside part.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Playing on hard and this game is stupid easy so far. Health packs and armor are everywhere, enemy AI likes to run amok from cover to cover but without seemingly any real solid tactical planning. Maybe things change post-Interval 03, but I'm getting more out of the cheap scares than I am the rush of dropping fools.

Varna

Brandon F said:
Playing on hard and this game is stupid easy so far. Health packs and armor are everywhere, enemy AI likes to run amok from cover to cover but without seemingly any real solid tactical planning. Maybe things change post-Interval 03, but I'm getting more out of the cheap scares than I am the rush of dropping fools.

It doesn't.

Real damn shame too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That 5/10 score is looking moe and more reasonable the more I play then. Occasionally a nifty funhouse ride, but the gamey parts aren't really inspiring my brain's fun lobe.

Ourobolus

Banned
Just made it to the subway. Of all the boosters I've passed...I've missed one. The FIRST one. Sigh.

Anyway, so far, the game is decent. Nothing spectacular, but mindless fun for a bit. After I beat it, I'll have to hit up some multiplayer.

Flunkie

Banned
Heh, I'm kind of surprised by the multiplayer. It's nothing great, but just plain fun. Just played it for a little while here on the PC.

godhandiscen

Is there any load out combination that you guys consider overpowered?

DeeVoc

Neo Member
Wow, color me impressed so far. SP is very very solid and MP is surprisingly fun. I'm just a little disappointed that they half assed the rank thing a bit. Being able to unlock some more stuff as you progress in MP would've been a nice carrot on the end of the stick.

Nikorasu

Been playing MP for a while now and it's quite fun. Overall I think a lot of people's complaints of consolization are fairly minor and doesn't make the game any less awesome, but I must say the lack of dedicated servers is pretty shocking. I pray they're working on a big patch or may god have mercy on their souls.

Varna

Nikorasu said:
Been playing MP for a while now and it's quite fun. Overall I think a lot of people's complaints of consolization are fairly minor and doesn't make the game any less awesome, but I must say the lack of dedicated servers is pretty shocking. I pray they're working on a big patch or may god have mercy on their souls.

Maybe they don't ruin the experience, but they certainly are not minor. Interesting thing is that some things were just dumbed down for no reason.

16:9 only and serious lack of sound options.

Less shadows then the original FEAR and a clear lack of dynamic shadows. This is horror game and dynamic shadows does wonders for the atmosphere.

AI seems a lot more stupid this time around. Playing on hard mode doesn't even come close to playing on normal for the original (I replayed the original just days before getting FEAR 2 just to be caught up). Not only that but there is just health, ammo and armor everywhere. It's almost impossible to die in anything but the little boss battles.

Ridiculously bloated HUD and feedback and absolutely no way to configure it. It's a fucken mess. Having to see all that shit really ruins the immersion. Grain filter really robs the game of it's image quality. Everything looks too soft and blurry. Not to mention it makes you feel a little disconnected from the action.

None of this will get resolved. Game has very few things keeping anyone from running and I don't think they will release a patch to improve the gameplay.

Flunkie

Banned
Varna said:
Maybe they don't ruin the experience, but they certainly are not minor. Interesting thing is that some things were just dumbed down for no reason.

16:9 only and serious lack of sound options.

Less shadows then the original FEAR and a clear lack of dynamic shadows. This is horror game and dynamic shadows does wonders for the atmosphere.

AI seems a lot more stupid this time around. Playing on hard mode doesn't even come close to playing on normal for the original (I replayed the original just days before getting FEAR 2 just to be caught up). Not only that but there is just health, ammo and armor everywhere. It's almost impossible to die in anything but the little boss battles.

Ridiculously bloated HUD and feedback and absolutely no way to configure it. It's a fucken mess. Having to see all that shit really ruins the immersion. Grain filter really robs the game of it's image quality. Everything looks too soft and blurry. Not to mention it makes you feel a little disconnected from the action.

None of this will get resolved. Game has very few things keeping anyone from running and I don't think they will release a patch to improve the gameplay.
I agree with every single thing you said. It's not FEAR. And that saddens me deeply. But regardless of what it's like, how hard it is, how the game was designed, and what's missing compared to FEAR.. it's still damn fun.

Brakara

So I canceled my pre-order (that was delayed) and managed to track down a copy after visiting three-four stores. It cost me 200NOK (~30USD) more than if I had waited, but money isn't really an issue. I didn't have any plans this weekend anyway, so it's a small price to pay for not being bored.

DevelopmentArrested said:
played some multiplayer as well in between.

Ah. Still, I've played the first three missions now and averaged around 45 minutes on each, compared to your ~25 minutes per mission. I know I'm a turtle, but I'm surprised I spent almost the double amount of time on those missions than you (even though I played on hard). Speaking of difficulty, it is possible to change difficulty on the fly, so I don't understand why you didn't change to hard once you discovered that normal was too easy.

As for the game, it's as good, creepy and fun as I expected it to be. And even though it's only been corridors so far, it's oh so much better than the first game (which I played through earlier this week). I do understand the complaints about the difficulty though, but it's not really an issue for me (as I'm not the kinda guy who plays CoD on veteran). And unlike Varna, I find F.E.A.R. 2 to be much more immersive than F.E.A.R. precisely because of the HUD. Having every visual indicator as part of the Visor makes a lot more sense than just putting icons and numbers all over the screen. It can even explain why there's a cross sight in the middle of the screen.

I also played a couple of team deathmatches, and it was, well, team deathmatch. My main issue is the matchmaking, or, actually, the lack of it. Ranked games without matchmaking fucking suck. It consists of *Server refresh* -> *find game* -> *join* -> *Already full* -> *try again* and so on. And when you finally manage to join a game, the host has filled up his team with friends against your team of lone wolfs. As I said, ranked games without matchmaking fucking suck. It didn't help that I didn't get my "more kills than deaths" achievement either, even though I was +2 when the match ended. The leaderboards and ranking system are also poorly thought through, and I've yet to figure out how to change my model. Too bad, because the core gameplay is actually quite fun, and I really like the loadout system. I'm going to play some more though, so hopefully it will improve. Now, I just have to figure out the optimal loadout.

Nikorasu

You don't change your model, you change your armor type which has a cost associated with it.

My problem is that the menu takes entirely way too long to load. I'm sitting looking at that spinning orb thing for a good 30 seconds every time i start up the game or disconnect from a server.

Varna

Flunkie said:
I agree with every single thing you said. It's not FEAR. And that saddens me deeply. But regardless of what it's like, how hard it is, how the game was designed, and what's missing compared to FEAR.. it's still damn fun.

I wouldn't go that far. It's still FEAR, just the combat intensity has been knocked down a notch. It still has the great setting, the interesting story and all the cheap scares of the original (all this seems to have taken priority. Oh yeah, and the Intel is all very interesting to read).

Yeah, once I got the
school
the game really started to pick up. I'm enjoying it far more now.

Brakara said:
As for the game, it's as good, creepy and fun as I expected it to be. And even though it's only been corridors so far, it's oh so much better than the first game (which I played through earlier this week). I do understand the complaints about the difficulty though, but it's not really an issue for me (as I'm not the kinda guy who plays CoD on veteran). And unlike Varna, I find F.E.A.R. 2 to be much more immersive than F.E.A.R. precisely because of the HUD. Having every visual indicator as part of the Visor makes a lot more sense than just putting icons and numbers all over the screen. It can even explain why there's a cross sight in the middle of the screen.

CoD on veteran is a travesty. That's not really what I want. Just something that involves some strategy.

I can understand you feelings about the HUD, but all that stuff just takes way to much room (especially since I'm running on a 4:3) monitor. Besides if the visor is such an awesome piece of technology there certainly must be a way to turn of the feedback.

Anyhow. This game has some REALLY good scares.

Looked down to see the doll...
Nearly jumped out of my seat.

somedevil

I'm at the
school
but i have a problem and not sure if the game can't read it or it is my fault. I met up with the team and then
alma attacks
and I hit the melle attack button repeatly but i keep dieing. I don't know what i'm doing wrong since the game tells me to do this but I keep dieing. Any ideas?

Brakara

Varna said:
I can understand you feelings about the HUD, but all that stuff just takes way to much room (especially since I'm running on a 4:3) monitor. Besides if the visor is such an awesome piece of technology there certainly must be a way to turn of the feedback.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Options are good, especially when you're playing on a 4:3 display when the game is tailor-made for a 16:9 display. But it seems like Monolith has kept that to a minimum this time around (e.g., there's no way to re-configure the controls on consoles). One way to remove visual "clutter" could've been to, for example, just showing weapon and ammo info when you're aiming (or when the ammo count was low). And the same with health and armor, and so on.

As for my point about "CoD on veteran", I didn't mean F.E.A.R. should be like CoD, but that someone who've played through CoD on veteran would find this game to be pretty easy.

One subtle thing I like this time around is how they've improved such a simple thing like climbing ladders. In the first one, you had to press a button to "be ready" to climb, but now you just climb up (or down) automatically. Another is the animations, like when you climb over obstacles (or through windows), as well as the enemy animations when they leap off ledges and such. It's probably something people aren't going to notice unless they've recently played the first game though.

Varna

Brakara said:
One subtle thing I like this time around is how they've improved such a simple thing like climbing ladders. In the first one, you had to press a button to "be ready" to climb, but now you just climb up (or down) automatically. Another is the animations, like when you climb over obstacles (or through windows), as well as the enemy animations when they leap off ledges and such. It's probably something people aren't going to notice unless they've recently played the first game though.

It's not really an improvement. I much prefer the first game since you could just jump down ladders. It was much quicker and didn't make you a sitting duck during fire fights. You can still do it in FEAR 2, but you have to be careful not to get to close or you will initiate the climbing animation.

All the animations are great. I especially love the reloading animations.

Anyhow, I've been playing non-stop since I got home from work.

:lol The ending is perfect. Just like the first game... very sudden a very fucken confusing.

Varna

Linkzg said:
I enjoyed this game quite a bit, but that ending...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thought it was cool, much like FEAR 1.

Kind of bothers me they never went into what happened to
the first games characters

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DeeVoc said:
Wow, color me impressed so far. SP is very very solid and MP is surprisingly fun. I'm just a little disappointed that they half assed the rank thing a bit. Being able to unlock some more stuff as you progress in MP would've been a nice carrot on the end of the stick.
Unlocking shit that gives you an edge in multiplayer is destroying online gaming.

TheBlackQueen

Neo Member
TEH-CJ said:
No it is a horrible port. Horrid frame rate.

Wait, are you talking about FEAR 1 or this game?

Brandon F said:
That 5/10 score is looking moe and more reasonable the more I play then. Occasionally a nifty funhouse ride, but the gamey parts aren't really inspiring my brain's fun lobe.

I do not undertand this. I'm at about Interval 05 and am absolutely loving this game. Mind I'm much more of a horror fan then I am a FPS fan, but seeing as most of this gen's "best" games are FPS, it a moot point. I suppose I have a bit of bias as well since I loved this first title as well.

I can and will say this however, this game's atmosphere shits all over Resitance 2.

Flunkie

Banned
Varna said:
I wouldn't go that far. It's still FEAR, just the combat intensity has been knocked down a notch. It still has the great setting, the interesting story and all the cheap scares of the original (all this seems to have taken priority. Oh yeah, and the Intel is all very interesting to read).
What I meant was that is isn't FEAR 1. It still has the heart and soul of a FEAR game.. but it's not just FEAR 1 with some added bells and whistles. In my book, that's a good thing and a bad thing. But it's still fun, so I'm not going to complain.

Varna

Flunkie said:
But it's still fun, so I'm not going to complain.

Very fun, but if I had to do it all over again I would wait for a price drop. As it is, I don't believe the game to be worth $50. There are just too many issues with the PC version that probably won't ever be address (and gameplay issues in general that certainly have no chance of being corrected).

I played through my first game on HARD mode in 7 hours. I absolutely did not rush, I went through any area I could explore (backtracking quiet a bit when I hit seemingly branching paths). This game is much shorter then the original and nearly every bit of the gameplay is worse. Yet, somehow, I still like the game at the end of it all.

Kingpen

Varna said:
Very fun, but if I had to do it all over again I would wait for a price drop. As it is, I don't believe the game to be worth $50. There are just too many issues with the PC version that probably won't ever be address (and gameplay issues in general that certainly have no chance of being corrected).

I played through my first game on HARD mode in 7 hours. I absolutely did not rush, I went through any area I could explore (backtracking quiet a bit when I hit seemingly branching paths). This game is much shorter then the original and nearly every bit of the gameplay is worse. Yet, somehow, I still like the game at the end of it all.

That is what I was fearful of, and why I waited... I'll be picking this up still, but probably in May for 30 bucks.

Swifty

Is there any reason why Monolith wasn't able to replicate the quality of the combat from the first FEAR? Did they have to redo the AI code from scratch? Did they get complaints from the first FEAR about how thick the smoke got from weapon impacts?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Swifty said:
Is there any reason why Monolith wasn't able to replicate the quality of the combat from the first FEAR? Did they have to redo the AI code from scratch? Did they get complaints from the first FEAR about how thick the smoke got from weapon impacts?

That's just Monolith. They just have no clue how to go about making a sequel, spend too much time trying to fix the things that weren't broken in the first entry. They did the same thing with Condemned 2, Blood 2 and of course Contract J.A.C.K. (ughhh).

Hmmmm, I thought Condemned 2 was a lot more fun than Condemned.

Anyway, the enemy AI in FEAR2 isnt as good as it was in FEAR, but it comes close if you jack the difficulty up.

wow. the last bunch of hours are fantastic. and like others have mentioned, the ending sort of gave me a boner. did i just put my seed in alma? :lol

Brakara

Varna said:
It's not really an improvement. I much prefer the first game since you could just jump down ladders.

I must have missed that in the first game.

Also, spoiler tag that shit, laceystorm!

Top Bottom