• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Official Thread

Truant

Played for 30 minutes. The graphics are hard to watch after playing Killzone 2. I mean, it doesn't look bad, but it's so square, and the lighting is so basic.

I'm having some strange graphical issues, though. All light shining through windows look like aliased threads. Weird.

Brakara

Swifty said:
Is there any reason why Monolith wasn't able to replicate the quality of the combat from the first FEAR? Did they have to redo the AI code from scratch? Did they get complaints from the first FEAR about how thick the smoke got from weapon impacts?

The smoke from the first game was way too excessive though. Also, in the 360 version it looked ridiculous. They literally just put up the color grey on the screen. There's still smoke from gunfire in this game, but they've toned it down a lot (and it looks great). Personally, I prefer how it is now.

But you're partially right about the AI. They still do most of the things they did in the first game (taking cover, moving between covers, flanking, flush you out if you're immobile, using fire and motion to pin you down while rushing you, etc.). But it seems like they're much easier to kill this time around. Maybe because they're more out in the open (without cover fire) than in the first game? Then again, I rarely had any major problems when I just fought against the replicas in the first game (on normal).

Edit: to learn a little more about the AI, check out Monolith's blog post:

http://blogs.ign.com/Monolith_Productions/2008/12/18/108232/

As well as this behind the scenes video (although that's more like a self-congratulory ad):

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43268.html?type=

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
14 hours downloading FEAR2 from DIRECT2DRIVE.co.uk

CORRUPTED zip on arrival.

A+
would buy again

Nizz

Truant said:
Played for 30 minutes. The graphics are hard to watch after playing Killzone 2. I mean, it doesn't look bad, but it's so square, and the lighting is so basic.

I'm having some strange graphical issues, though. All light shining through windows look like aliased threads. Weird.
You're playing on PS3? How's the framerate?

REV 09

finished this earlier today on Hard. really solid sp, meh mp...8.25 overall. I liked it though, much better than FEAR 1 and Condemned 2.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok, I LOVED the first FEAR. The reason was the incredibly hectic firefights (walls ripped apart, smoke and debris up the wazoo, blood and limbs flying through the air, reactions to getting shot....everything).

I don't care about the gfx changes.

Just tell me, is this sequel just as visceral in it's combat as the first? If so, this is a buy.

Xater

kinggroin said:
Just tell me, is this sequel just as visceral in it's combat as the first? If so, this is a buy.

I would say it is but italso got really easy. I played through it on Hard on one day without dying alot. Plus I was playing it on the PS3 so on the PC I can only imagine it being even easier because of the controls.

kinggroin

Banned
Xater said:
I would say it is but italso got really easy. I played through it on Hard on one day without dying alot. Plus I was playing it on the PS3 so on the PC I can only imagine it being even easier because of the controls.

Damn.

I take it the AI isn't quite as creative? Or are they just taking less shots to take down?

Xater

kinggroin said:
Damn.

I take it the AI isn't quite as creative? Or are they just taking less shots to take down?

The the AI is pretty good and some enemies can be real bulet sponges but there is so much health everywhere that it was really easy. Except for the last 2 to 3 levels I always had at least two medkits with me.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
Downloaded FEAR Combat last week and I fucking love it. Would you guys say #2's multiplayer is better?

As long as there are more game modes than DM, TDM, and CTF, I don't see how it can't be, but...

Xater

Chowfahn said:
Downloaded FEAR Combat last week and I fucking love it. Would you guys say #2's multiplayer is better?

As long as there are more game modes than DM, TDM, and CTF, I don't see how it can't be, but...

There is Blitz and Armored front but they removed slow-mo from MP. So it's pretty standard now and I don't think that's good for the game. I prefer COD over this.

Also maybe it's just me but I think the MP maps are really uninspired.

Nizz

Xater said:
The same as in the demo. For me most part it's fine but at some points the frame drops are sickening.
Thanks for the impressions. The same as the demo huh? That's really disappointing to hear. I guess if I ever want to enjoy the F.E.A.R. series on console it's 360 or bust. The PS3 versions always seem to turn out bad. A shame...

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Why is there no quick save?
Why aren't mouse 4 and 5 recognized as buttons in the keymapper?

I was so sold by that demo, but thought the quicksave wasnt in (the demo) b/c regular save wasnt in. And I thought mouse 4 and 5 was an oversight for the demo, or something that would be fixed.

I am sad now. I concede to the 'wahh wahhh consolized wahh' argument from the demo thread. :( :( :(

Flunkie said:
Thanks for the fucking spoilers, dick.

i wasn't talking literally about "putting your seed in her" in the game (you don't do it w alma, sorry)....was talking more about the sexiness of the last scenes

TheBlackQueen

Neo Member
Xater said:
The same as in the demo. For me most part it's fine but at some points the frame drops are sickening.

See this is strange because I haven't come across a single hiccup along the way. After the absolute mess that was the original F.E.A.R. port to the PS3, this shines. Jaggies do seem to pop up now and then, but overall I'd say the game looks and runs fantastically.

Got to the 1st Mech part last night. Nice to see Monolith fixed the key-mapping issue :D

(It was the one were "E" was permantely mapped to "use" so I was constantly getting out of my mech everytime I moved forward ....I'm a ESDF player)

....Also, I loved the using the Mech :D

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am loving the game so far, but there are a few things that piss me off about the game. Its not to do with the actual gameplay but the shoddy oversights in the PC version these include.

I have to disable one of my monitors to even play the game. (absolutely ridiculous.)
I cannot map mouse button 4 and 5.
Shitty menus and options, cyclying through loads of resolutions is not fun.
Cannot remap the Tab button, and the F-keys.

Other than those few annoyances all is gravy.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
AgentOtaku said:
Got to the 1st Mech part last night. Nice to see Monolith fixed the key-mapping issue :D

(It was the one were "E" was permantely mapped to "use" so I was constantly getting out of my mech everytime I moved forward ....I'm a ESDF player)

*mind blown*

Choc

Banned
Kinda liking this game but the amount of back tracking is borderline bullshit.

Also, whoever said monolith builds giant buildings and then forgets to give the player some idea of where to go, spot on the money

Flawed game but fun still

Nikorasu

I've stopped relying on quicksave in most games a long time ago, so I didn't find it's exclusion to be that bad. There are enough autosaves that you never lose too much progress if you do actually die. What I do hate is that you have to reload when you die. Why do games still do this?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The game is far too easy to bitch about the lack of quicksaves. I'm on interval 6 on hard difficulty, still haven't died.

Ricker

Completly stuck now in Interval 08 after you find the keycard for the nurse's office and they tell you to head back there...I call the elevator but it doesn't come and there's one of those annoying fat ghost that revives and controls soldiers non stop,I have no clue where to go and wind up dying over and over...what am I missing here??

Sinatar said:
The game is far too easy to bitch about the lack of quicksaves. I'm on interval 6 on hard difficulty, still haven't died.

I died twice the entire time ...one time was from a sniper and the other was because I killed myself with my own rocket

Varna

Ricker said:
Completly stuck now in Interval 08 after you find the keycard for the nurse's office and they tell you to head back there...I call the elevator but it doesn't come and there's one of those annoying fat ghost that revives and controls soldiers non stop,I have no clue where to go and wind up dying over and over...what am I missing here??

Well, kill it first of all after you do I believe you get one of those press use to open doors sequences.

Rur0ni

AgentOtaku said:

I had the same issue. ESDF here as well. The superior key map.

Varna

Rur0ni said:
I had the same issue. ESDF here as well. The superior key map.

Wow. Really silly of me... but never in my whole entire time playing PC FPS did I ever think to use anything but wasd. ESDF makes a lot more sense.

Varna

CryptiK said:
You should see the ending

What's with people hating on the ending? No worse then FEAR 1 and at least it makes sense this time around. There are a lot of clues throughout the game that hint at it.

TTG

Solideliquid said:
"You are like free pizza at an anime convention. She can smell you..." WTF

I didn't think it was that bad. First attempt at a joke and I'm about 6 levels in...

Anyway, I feel like the game is finally starting to hit a rhythm. They've been very conservative for the first 4 levels or so, but it's picking up now. If only the enemies could last more than 3-5 seconds... I really don't remember taking out the bad guys so quickly in the original and as a result there's not much room for the AI to shine.

TTG said:
I didn't think it was that bad. First attempt at a joke and I'm about 6 levels in...

Anyway, I feel like the game is finally starting to hit a rhythm. They've been very conservative for the first 4 levels or so, but it's picking up now. If only the enemies could last more than 3-5 seconds... I really don't remember taking out the bad guys so quickly in the original and as a result there's not much room for the AI to shine.

Absolutely ...I mean, it's almost like the slowmo breaks the game at times. You can't really play without using it as the enemy's aim is just too good and you'll die pretty quickly, but when you turn it on, you can walk all over them.

...I'm still enjoying the game but I'm starting to once again feel the formula fatigue only this time the enviroments aren't the issue. The combat and scare set pieces are still interchanged regularly to the point of complete predictability and actual plot is barely there. I just watched
Snake-fist get decapited
, which while suprising, has been the only out of the ordinary thing to occur for the past hour. And yes, while the actual environments have been pretty detailed and unique, they DO still feel like there just a series of connected rooms.
...believe or not I think the mecha bit was the best part thus far

Varna said:
What's with people hating on the ending? No worse then FEAR 1 and at least it makes sense this time around. There are a lot of clues throughout the game that hint at it.

I don't know if I'd say the ending is that bad, it's just...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow you guys weren't kidding, 7 hours...

Also the ending: Uhhh.....

Varna said:

So you think THAT ending was equal to the nuclear fucking explosion that capped off FEAR? Are you fucking mental!?

Also why the hell aren't there dedicated servers for multiplayer? How the fuck is this acceptable monolith? You built your company off PC games, hell FEAR started it's life as a PC exclusive, which is also where it got most of it's sales. The console version seemed to sell pretty poorly, yet the sequel is fucking consolized to shit.

So sad.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Truly a great sequel that ups the ante from the first one. Better graphics, gameplay, not sure if the ai is better since I seem to blow through these guys easier, but that might be the longer reflex time and better aiming in this installment. Pick it up, dont think about if you loved the first.

Xater

Yeah the ending is bullshit. Up to tat poit I was happy that the story was more coherent and then they do bullshit like that. I'd also like developer end stories again. This trend in gaming finally has to stop. It made me even more angry because like a day before I "finished" POP...

TTG

AgentOtaku said:
Absolutely ...I mean, it's almost like the slowmo breaks the game at times. You can't really play without using it as the enemy's aim is just too good and you'll die pretty quickly, but when you turn it on, you can walk all over them.

...I'm still enjoying the game but I'm starting to once again feel the formula fatigue only this time the enviroments aren't the issue. The combat and scare set pieces are still interchanged regularly to the point of complete predictability and actual plot is barely there. I just watched
Snake-fist get decapited
, which while suprising, has been the only out of the ordinary thing to occur for the past hour. And yes, while the actual environments have been pretty detailed and unique, they DO still feel like there just a series of connected rooms.
...believe or not I think the mecha bit was the best part thus far

I think mid to long range combat is the answer. I'm up to level 8 or so(making my way through the school) and anytime I'm using the sniper rifle or the assault rifle, it really clicks for me. It's been getting better and better with every level, actually I'm almost ready to say that it's as good as the first one. The fact that they put a lot more effort into the environments is just a bonus.

When it comes to the core gameplay of a FPS, Monolith are still as good as anyone in the industry.

Nikorasu

AgentOtaku said:

The first game was like that too...but I think enemies may have done more damage to you in the original. I say may because the guys in 2 can actually kill you pretty fast if you let them. Playing through the first game (which I did a LOT) i almost always had full med kits (10 compared to 3) and mostly only bothered using them when I found a replacement. Fear on extreme -was- harder than fear 2 on hard, yeah (it was also had 5 difficulties compared to fear 2's 2), but both games on normal were pretty damn easy. I think people really overestimate the original's challenge. If you run in and just stay on the offense with judicious use of slowmo you can finish most encounters without a scratch.

The ending really is terrible. The game is also way too short and easy. I came away dissapointed. I had fun with it though still. Definetely a rental since the mp is pretty meh

Nikorasu

DevelopmentArrested said:
The ending really is terrible. The game is also way too short and easy. I came away dissapointed. I had fun with it though still. Definetely a rental since the mp is pretty meh

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Am I the only one who liked the ending? It was suitably fucked up for a game like this and really had me questioning wtf was going on while it was happening. As far as the actual gameplay is concerned the climax is a little disappointing (the music in the last fight was ace though) and it ended a little abruptly. FEAR did have a much cooler and more frightening endgame (starting with the moment you descend the final elevator into the vault).

Also again with the length complaints. I really didn't find it to be a bad length. It lasted me a good 8 or 9 hours my first time through which is perfectly fine and comparable to the original, but with less copypasta environments. I did take it quite methodically and took time to admire all the amazing details monolith crammed everywhere. If you're speedrunning the game on your first time through, you did it wrong.

I really hope they fix some of the game's quirks and add in those things that pc gamers expect, like dedicated server files (seriously wtf), but none of them detracted from the sp playthrough in the least. It really felt like FEAR, only better, and I loved every minute.

ICallItFutile said:
Is the original Fear still worth playing at this point or should I just jump straight to Fear 2?

Yeah it's worth playing but both games have so little story that it doesn't matter which one you play first.

Top Bottom