• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Official Thread

Sushen

Am I the only one who experienced motion sickness with that weird side way motion while walking? It's been a while since I felt sick off of playing a FPS. I wish there is a way to turn it off.

as someone who mostly buys games on disc, i'm happy to not get the short end of the stick for once. between the game being registerable on steam, the cool Armacham book freebie i got and the nice box art i'm pretty happy.

it's at the point where i'm happy if the manual has a colour cover after the last few EA games i picked up on PC just had black and white covers.

plagiarize said:
as someone who mostly buys games on disc, i'm happy to not get the short end of the stick for once. between the game being registerable on steam, the cool Armacham book freebie i got and the nice box art i'm pretty happy.

it's at the point where i'm happy if the manual has a colour cover after the last few EA games i picked up on PC just had black and white covers.

Same here ...the only reason I bought the retail box copy was because I wanted to get rid of Saint's Row 2 anyway. Boy did it turn out to be wise choice ...I mean, wtf Steam!?

Combine

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Same here ...the only reason I bought the retail box copy was because I wanted to get rid of Saint's Row 2 anyway. Boy did it turn out to be wise choice ...I mean, wtf Steam!?
Yep, I was at least hoping it would have been unlocked this morning so I could have started the download before going to work. But nope, still locked. Again, for a 12GB game, this really blows cause it'll take forever to download.

This probably is the last time I buy anything non-Valve made off of steam.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sushen said:
Am I the only one who experienced motion sickness with that weird side way motion while walking? It's been a while since I felt sick off of playing a FPS. I wish there is a way to turn it off.

Not alone. The 'clomping feet' effect bothers the shit out of me too.

Combine said:
Yep, I was at least hoping it would have been unlocked this morning so I could have started the download before going to work. But nope, still locked. Again, for a 12GB game, this really blows cause it'll take forever to download.

This probably is the last time I buy anything non-Valve made off of steam.
i was shocked when i opened the game case and saw two dvds in there.

valve stuff and weekend discount stuff is all i buy on steam personally. i mean, i wish i could register all my disk purchases and have them tied to my account, but since there's no resale value of a steam game i may aswell have a nice box for my shelf and save a bit of money by shopping around right?

Kingpen

plagiarize said:
not far in (still on interval 2) but so far so good.

F.E.A.R. 2 isn't a gourmet meal or anything. it's not the sort of thing you'd eat in a fancy restaurant... it's more of a cheeseburger.

but it's the kind of cheeseburger you'd drive forty minutes to eat no matter how crazy your friends think you are.

on paper there's nothing special, and maybe in practice there's nothing special. some people will say it's just a cheeseburger and then go off to some four star restaurant and have some tiny millet mignons with artful fresh herbs carefully arranged on the plate and wonder why the hell you're eating a grease bomb out of a wax paper wrapper...

but they don't know what they're missing.

because F.E.A.R. 2 may just be a cheese burger, but it's like a cheese burger from Shack Shake. it's everything you'd expect out of a cheeseburger with no surprises... but it's so damn good it reminds you why cheeseburgers got popular in the first place.

Good to hear.. I will most undoubtly pick it up some time in April/May I think when there isn't really a lot of big games... There is enough big hitters coming out in the next 5 weeks to keep my interest until then (RE5, SF4, Halo Wars, Sacred 2)

Plus I swung a trade last night for Fable 2 and got in return Burnout Paradise (playable to me now with the restart function), Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Forza 2 and Stranglehold. 4 games for 1 is not a bad deal.

Tuvoc

For those of you who've purchased the Xbox 360 version:

Anybody have a rough time getting the game case out of that carboard/paper surround?

I know this sounds retarded but the plastic case itself was tightly lodged in the paper case, and I had to "carefully" pull and prod to get it out( I don't like ruined cases :p)

I've never had this problem before.

Nikorasu

plagiarize said:
i was shocked when i opened the game case and saw two dvds in there.

valve stuff and weekend discount stuff is all i buy on steam personally. i mean, i wish i could register all my disk purchases and have them tied to my account, but since there's no resale value of a steam game i may aswell have a nice box for my shelf and save a bit of money by shopping around right?

Yeah, but the fear 2 dvds are essentially just the encrypted steam GCFs anyway. I figured I might as well preorder to make sure I'm playing on time. :|

Now it's 8 hours later and it's still not unlocked. The timer is back up and says within the hour. I hope so cause I'm leaving pretty soon. I know valve has a legal obligation to not release before the street date, but do they also have to literally wait until B&M stores are open as well?

EDIT: haha wow. They restarted the timer this morning and it's late a second time. No words.

Sysgen

Tuvoc said:

Anybody have a rough time getting the game case out of that carboard/paper surround?

I know this sounds retarded but the plastic case itself was tightly lodged in the paper case, and I had to "carefully" pull and prod to get it out( I don't like ruined cases :p)

Ha, same thing here, I didn't want to trash the slipcover but I got the game out and preserved the cover.

Tuvoc said:

YES. especially because in canada they put two manuals in the gamebox (one french, one english). shit took FOREVER to get out.

Nikorasu

DevelopmentArrested said:
YES. especially because in canada they put two manuals in the gamebox (one french, one english). shit took FOREVER to get out.

Not as bad as the bioshock LE. In their infinite wisdom they combined the english and french manuals into one gigantic monstrosity and with the 3 cds the case wouldn't even close.

Also fear 2 is released on steam. Finally.

Sysgen

I like what I've played so far but in the WTF is this shit category I just resumed my game from last night only to find myself in the middle of chapter 2 when I finshed chapter 2 last night. After finishing chap 2 last night I got some sort of story blurb as chapter 3 loaded. I didn't want to see the chapter 3 start since I wanted to goto sleep so I exited to the dashboard before continiuing into the next chapter. Apparently this game does not save your progress after finishing a chapter but after the start of the next chapter. WTF

Nikorasu

Sysgen said:
I like what I've played so far but in the WTF is this shit category I just resumed my game from last night only to find myself in the middle of chapter 2 when I finshed chapter 2 last night. After finishing chap 2 last night I got some sort of story blurb as chapter 3 loaded. I didn't want to see the chapter 3 start since I wanted to goto sleep so I exited to the dashboard before continiuing into the next chapter. Apparently this game does not save your progress after finishing a chapter but after the start of the next chapter. WTF

Isn't that how most games work?

Sysgen said:
No or it's not my experience. Most games I would think autosave at the end of a level not at the start of the next level.

WaW on pc did for me. Hitting continue i got droped in the middle of the level i already finished. I could select the next level from the menu and start playing from there but i was still checkpointed in the middle of the previous level.

Combine

Banned
Nikorasu said:
Yeah, but the fear 2 dvds are essentially just the encrypted steam GCFs anyway. I figured I might as well preorder to make sure I'm playing on time. :|

Now it's 8 hours later and it's still not unlocked. The timer is back up and says within the hour. I hope so cause I'm leaving pretty soon. I know valve has a legal obligation to not release before the street date, but do they also have to literally wait until B&M stores are open as well?

EDIT: haha wow. They restarted the timer this morning and it's late a second time. No words.
Wow, and I was still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if it was Monolith's doing that they were late. But if they had to keep resetting the timer, wow, they really suck. :lol

Sysgen

Lostconfused said:
WaW on pc did for me. Hitting continue i got droped in the middle of the level i already finished. I could select the next level from the menu and start playing from there but i was still checkpointed in the middle of the previous level.

It turns out that it wasn't the end of the chapter, the game was just loading the next section. The confusion was that chapter 1 ended like this so consider it an presentation / continuity issue.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Is their like a plot analysis or something I can read, cause I think I'm missing some details or something. I get the ending of this game, but...umm...yea.

Brakara

Nikorasu said:
Also fear 2 is released on steam. Finally.

Congrats. At least you're getting it. Here, the Norwegian distributor of the game has fucked up so that I'm not getting my copy tomorrow (as scheduled). They don't even know when they'll ship the game. I'm so gutted that I'm, quite literally, out of words.

Brakara

Sushen said:

For me it's the opposite. Whenever I play a game (on the 360) without "head bob", I get various degrees of motion sickness. Particulary on games where it seems like you "glide" through the game (most often they're ported PC games).

Brakara said:
For me it's the opposite. Whenever I play a game (on the 360) without "head bob", I get various degrees of motion sickness. Particulary on games where it seems like you "glide" through the game (most often they're ported PC games).

I'm the same way ...I actually need head bob nowadays and it really bothers me when it isn't present in newer games like Oblivion or Fallout3

I remeber turning the headbob high in Unreal 2: The Awakening as there was an option to do so :D

personally, 11 chapters in..
the story is a complete throw-away. I usually love picking up intel and story stuff in games (Dead Space, Bioshock) but the shit they give you is mostly useless.
also, the game is pretty easy. there are some crazy firefights but I haven't died once yet (on Normal).
the graphics aren't that stunning but there are so really cool explosions and set pieces that occur.
the multiplayer as I mentioned before isn't anything to get too excited about.
overall, I actually really dig in even if I sound down on it. it's just fun regardless.
I'll probably been done with it this weekend though. :(

Brakara

AgentOtaku, yeah, that's why I had to play Fallout 3 in the over-the-shoulder view. For some reason, when it's third-person view I don't mind even though you still glide through the environment.

also, the game is pretty easy. there are some crazy firefights but I haven't died once yet (on Normal).

Well, I did recommend (earlier in this thread) playing on hard.

personally, 11 chapters in..
the story is a complete throw-away. I usually love picking up intel and story stuff in games (Dead Space, Bioshock) but the shit they give you is mostly useless.
the graphics aren't that stunning but there are so really cool explosions and set pieces that occur.
the multiplayer as I mentioned before isn't anything to get too excited about.
overall, I actually really dig in even if I sound down on it. it's just fun regardless.
I'll probably been done with it this weekend though. :(

I do agree that the Intel in FEAR2 is waaaay more useless now than it was in FEAR1 (where it basically was the story), especially if you real the "Genevive A." document that came with the preorder

Brakara said:
AgentOtaku, yeah, that's why I had to play Fallout 3 in the over-the-shoulder view. For some reason, when it's third-person view I don't mind even though you still glide through the environment.

Well, I did recommend (earlier in this thread) playing on hard.

i should have listened!!!!

AgentOtaku said:
I do agree that the Intel in FEAR2 is waaaay more useless now than it was in FEAR1 (where it basically was the story), especially if you real the "Genevive A." document that came with the preorder

i havent read that and it still feels like a waste.

Ourobolus

Banned
Picked this up a few hours ago. Made it to Interval 03, playing on Hard. So far, nothing to go crazy for, though there were definitely one or two moments that freaked me out (the pool area in the first interval was a nice touch). Game isn't really all that difficult.

Anyway, I'm getting the same feeling as the first game, where I constantly think I'm missing the Reflex Boosters. I haven't found any yet, and I've been pretty good at checking everywhere.

Ourobolus said:
Picked this up a few hours ago. Made it to Interval 03, playing on Hard. So far, nothing to go crazy for, though there were definitely one or two moments that freaked me out (the pool area in the first interval was a nice touch). Game isn't really all that difficult.

Anyway, I'm getting the same feeling as the first game, where I constantly think I'm missing the Reflex Boosters. I haven't found any yet, and I've been pretty good at checking everywhere.
I've found one so far

Varna

Just started playing and I'm a good way into the
Hospital

Somewhat mixed feelings at this point. I love the atmosphere and the story is intriguing at this point. I really like the visuals too, but the grain filter and the fact that I'm running on a 4:3 monitor is hurting the experience.

On the other hand... game is too god damn easy. I'm playing it on hard and I have yet to run out of armor and actually use one of my heath packs. Not to mention there is full health restore items and armor everywhere. I really like the way the game controls and so it's a shame it has yet to pose any kind of challenge.

I really miss leaning as well... I keep pressing Q/E every time I hit a corner.

EDIT:

I know so many people will disagree. But no quick saving should be something more of these games on the PC should have. It can make any kind of strategy moot.

Also... someone mention there is a bit of aim assist on the PC version? How do you turn this off?

EDIT #2:

Really wish you could turn off all this feedback... I don't need to know every time I pick up ammo or save. I don't need to see all these tutorial pop-ups either. I have a logitech keyboard with a display and no HUD would be such an awesome option.

Nafai1123

Banned
Wow, just played some of the game on my buddies high-end pc today and the difference between that and the ps3 demo is like night and day. I dunno what it is about how the game feels with the controller, but it just doesn't work for me. Wish I still had a good enough pc to play it :(

Beernf

Has anyone had problems with loading a saved checkpoint. I picked this up off Steam today, and for some reason if i quit the game or go back to the main menu, i cannot load any saved checkpoint. It gives me an option to continue from last save, but it just loads the main menu again. What the hell am i missing here? I've already had to restart 3 times...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I got my copy from gamestop today.

1. Awesome package.
2. Free booklet explaining the story.
3. I can still register with steam.

Fuck yeah.

godhandiscen

K.Jack said:
Does this mean you can download it after registering the key?
Yeah, can't I?

I don't feel like doing it because I want my games in my games folder instead of having to launch steam everytime.

godhandiscen

I had Steam opened when I was installing FEAR 2, and it registered with Steam automatically. Now it is installing. I hope it doesn't do it in the Steam folder.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
I have to say that I was genuinely surprised at the ending, and that it capped off a really slick experience that was only slightly marred by some poor pacing on certain intervals (most notably, the
Hospital
area). Great combat overall, even if it did feel a tad easy at times (the scares were almost always expertly implemented however, balancing the tension and adrenaline from the action to great effect) and kudos to whoever decided to toss in QTE's that actually worked intuitively without making the player feel like a retard.

bigswords

Tuvoc said:

At least you'll know it's a virgin :D

Back to the demo, since I'm in an Asian region and can't download the Fear 2 360 demo. How does it compare with the PS3 version? I found the framerate on the PS3 version to dip (in some areas).

Alias03

I know its been asked but never really answered. Is the framerate problem from the PS3 demo fixed? Please someone whos played both demo and retail comment (and who saw the problem in the demo :D )

Still loving this game. it might not bring anything brand new to the table, but the atmosphere, pacing and graphics are all great. Just made it through Level 3 and there was a moment when I had to turn the lights back on just to recover for a bit...

Top Bottom